Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On some days, i feel like I have this sudden burst of energy. Suddenly, things seem more clearer and I'm inspired by everything. Sometimes, I get this flow of creative energy that allows me to express myself in my journal, on my canvas, and even in my interactions with others. I articulate my thoughts better, and my visions are clearer -- I can clearly vision what I want to see on my canvas, I am inspired by certain melodies, I can see the characters for my stories developing.

What accompanies is an overall burst of energy, where I feel more "in" myself, if that makes any sense. I feel so inspired and I feel like this is the "me" I want all the time, not only when I have these bursts of energy. I am usually "out of it" - I'm in my own world obviously, but sometimes I seem so out of it with the real world even physically. But with these bursts of energy, I feel like I find like there was a connection with the the world in my head and the world I live in, that allowed for this energy to flow in ward and outward.

The thing is... this only happens sometimes and I want this to happen more often. :( I think it happens when I've been in extended situations where I have to be in thinking mode, but at the same time, I don't think they're directly correlated and these bursts happen spontaneously .Does anyone relate to this? Have you guys found a routine or process that allows these bursts of energy to flow more often? (like a routine for somehow routing/directing your emotions to this creative type of energy bursts?)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I myself deal with the same problem of maintaining that "constant" burst you've mentioned and I've come to the conclusion that these bursts of energy come EXACTLY at the right time in my life and I am able to procure something meaningful and something applicable that I can use in whatever situation I'm facing in my life.

Do you ever notice that? If we had these bursts of energy more frequently or all the time the significance that is brought with these special occurrences would lose their importance.

Hope this helps! It's always a struggle to extend the afterglow of such a burst of energy for a long time. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I find this a lot. Usually it's when I can work on an idea and more ideas flow. To me it's one of the great pluses of INFJ (although I sure other types have it as well). I feel alive and on a real high. One of thing I have tried to work on is clear practical steps to get into this zone. Yes you can do this on demand!!!!!

By the way one thing I find missing from these kind of forums (INFJs in particular) is clear practical steps - a lot of the language seems to wallow in MBTI speak (Fi this or Fe that). If INFJs are going to move forward I think we need to sometimes get a grip and get going with clear practical steps!

Some steps I find useful:

Exercise - probably the worlds best antidote to lethergy, low moods

Releted to that - work standing up (if possible)

Get a big piece of paper! (desk sized) or a white board and just start drawing and scribbling - you can allow your ideas and energy to flow unconstrained by normal formats

Change your surroundings - go for a walk

Start!!!! - What I mean by this is if I try to think about something I fail - when I just start typing it all starts to flow

Talk to yourself. When I need to prepare a presentation for work I can't do the logical bullet point route - I just start telling the story out loud - be really expressive and passionate with your arms.

Interview yourself - imagine someone asking really tough questions and you have to answer. I think we often work best in response to something rather than by initiating something. This may sound a bit wierd but I have used it in coaching and it does work. Write out on sheets of paper the different roles you might play (or want to play) in life for example for me I use Dad, Communication Expert, coach, manager, Public business person. Put the sheets of paper all over the floor - like stepping stones. Ask yourself the question and stand on one sheet and answer the question, outloud in that role. I find Dad is often the toughest (no excuses or hypocracy with your children!)

Another favourite of mine from Ed De Bono is to grab a dictionary and pick a random word and use that to get going

Music - great mood shifters and energisers - there are certain peices which I love to play when working Some Michael Nyman - Parts from the Piano (some of the Draftsman's Contract as wll when I feel more manic)
Beethoven's 9th - I defy anyone to listen to Ode to Joy without feeling energised
Heavy Metal - not everyones cup of tea and some of it is rather doom and gloom - but this is a music genre defined by pure energy.

get a coach - good business/lifecoaches can ask you the difficult questions and help you into the mood you need. - It's not all about SMART goals

All these things are simply about creating a shift in mindset that triggers what you want when you want them

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Balance I must say. I usually just radiate my energy and run a few days a week.

·
Registered
440 Posts
wow cant agree enough on this subject of maintaining a hightened clear tranquil conscoiusness
i too also from time to time struggle to figure out a way to either induce more often or maintain this state
because when i am in such state i feel very down to earth at once very clear relaxed.. very much I AM HERE! ALIVE ON THIS EARTH! and the pace isn't that stimulating or crazily bursting.. i like the sort of very deep effortless very alive coherent in terms of thought very clear sharp relaxed consciousness and i feel like i've got a clue, can be in control.. and when i feel like i've successfully done a series of task in an elegant manner i get this sensation as a reward.. a slow at once very satisfying at once not overly stimulating/ energetic but not in a toxic or rapid kind of way.. and i really want to induce it more often because when i am in such state my brain functions at its best.. when that happens i feel like a sublime being of nature.. i feel like a true spirit experiencing the entire universe.. a channel.. and at once i am very peaceful and nourished and wide awake

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I can very much identify with this. As an INFJ, I have a tendency to bottle up my feelings and to maintain an outward appearance of calm politeness. This tends to make me depressed much of the time, and drains my energy. It would be nice if this were not the case, though it is far simpler to suggest a simple change of behavior, than to actuate that same change. It is hardwired. It is not as though we have this INFJ nature that can be switched off as simply as saying, or hearing, it said aloud that we need to get over it. Likewise, it is not to suggest that there are not ways to overcome our natures to a degree, perhaps even entirely. I suppose what I am saying is, anything is possible, but nothing's certain, or easy...or even necessary. It s not a weakness or a character flaw. It simply is.

There have been certain instances, certain days, where I wake up with the very same sort of energy burst described by the OP. These occurred more often when I was younger, and their frequency has gradually lessened with time. The feeling rarely lasted more than a day. I generally assumed that this feeling is what people describe as happiness. I also assumed that I might simply be bi-polar like my father was.

A couple of years ago, on a two-week solo trip from California to Texas, I experienced an extended version of this feeling of increased energy. During this trip I was utterly free and unattached. I surrounded myself with nature (camping in Yosemite, exploring the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, and other places). I had limited contact with other humans, and absolutely no worries whatsoever. At any rate, this feeling, a sort of calm, euphoric oneness with the universe, was amazing. It was as though nothing could harm me, and I could do anything. At the same time, I did not feel compelled to do anything. I was utterly content and self-contained, almost glowing. It lasted for about three months, until I allowed certain mundane worries and an intense, turbulent infatuation to interfere.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
As INTJ I usually deal with bursts of energy through mathematical functions and abstract theories. I think I understand what you mean though, and I tend to describe this as 'flow'. It's that moment where you get so absorbed in your work that you don't feel any disconnect between subject and object, everything is just a continious movement from one step to the next coupled with an effortless confidence in your own success.

In my experience it requires the excact right amount of concentration, focus and awareness to reach this state - but the project you're working on has to be challenging and inspiring as well. The moment you have that paper in your hand, you have to feel the electricity going down your spine. In my case it's a sort of gumption, in your case you may have to be in the a state of heightened awareness.

Fascinating topic.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I am excited to see that this thread is back! Thanks everyone for your input, and Linus, I am looking online to buy those books at this moment. And to dalsgarrd, I'm excited to see an INTJ on this topic as well. Yes, it's that "flow" and that moment where you don't feel any disconnect, but this continuous moment and flow of your thoughts and what you are working on. and Haplea, I think it probably has to do with things we picked up - being polite, being logical, or other aspects that kind of repress our flow.

It's like... everything has to be aligned in a perfect way, for this flow to occur. I agree with what everyone has written so far, but sometimes I feel like this 'aligning' is independent of my desire, and *everything* has to be aligned - emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc.. haha I'm probably being so vague right now not making much sense

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Wow, I am excited to see that this thread is back! Thanks everyone for your input, and Linus, I am looking online to buy those books at this moment. And to dalsgarrd, I'm excited to see an INTJ on this topic as well. Yes, it's that "flow" and that moment where you don't feel any disconnect, but this continuous moment and flow of your thoughts and what you are working on. and Haplea, I think it probably has to do with things we picked up - being polite, being logical, or other aspects that kind of repress our flow.

It's like... everything has to be aligned in a perfect way, for this flow to occur. I agree with what everyone has written so far, but sometimes I feel like this 'aligning' is independent of my desire, and *everything* has to be aligned - emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc.. haha I'm probably being so vague right now not making much sense
Yes INTJ's don't much talk about this stuff :D

I find meditation has helped me a great deal with entering the flow on purpose. One of the prerequisites for getting there is a steady focus and good concentration. Focusing on the breath for en extended period of time brings me into the same 'zone': A place where my thoughts aren't distractions but ebb and flow through me. The sensation is too subjective to be properly described, though the feeling is like sitting on a cloud. But focus and discipline certainly has helped me to get there more often, though it has taken years.

·
Registered
440 Posts
YES YES YES YOU ARE TOTALLY MAKING SENSE!

things have to be lined up perfectly like a grand cross for this happen
and this is why often i am very much obsessed with getting rid of possible obstacle in my turbulant south korean environment.. getting rid of luggages really neatly and tightly organising elements and making things low maintenence at once effective so when other areas are taken care of to make sure this area not to block the grand cross from happening..

for example for now and the past few few few years military conscription and south korea have been the object that stopped me from reaching that amazing states even when i hyper manage myself

so i am leaving on a jetplane from this life sucking place that put me in an endless turmoil and cloud my consciousness and still patronise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts