Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far in my life I've met two other ENFPs that have taken the test, and one that believes he's an ENFP. Two of those (all guys) people get infatuated SO easily with a new crush. Even at our age of 25 they still go on like Romeo about how perfect and flawless this new person is. I've started to wonder if it's something of an ENFP trait, if a lot of ENFPs get infatuated easily. According the the books I have, "romance" tends to be something all NF's search for but I wonder if it's so extreme here.

For myself I don't get infatuated, I USED to; however, since being burned in two crushes where I was led on and in my first relationship I have truly changed where I always take a new crush with a big 'grain of salt' as they say.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not sure about "infatuated" but I do feel compassion very early on in the relationship. It's more like I fall for the "idea" or "the concept" of the person... but as for the reality? What reality? Har har... I'm trying to stop for falling for the idea because in the end, I will just be burnt horribly... must be MOAR realistic. My Extraverted Intuition always gets the better of me...

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
i think naturally yes. probably most ENFPs are "born" this way.. it's even worthy of mention in some ENFP descriptions as a trait. however i think that a lot of us wise up to this reality quite quickly- and i'd imagine most of us do it the hard way.

i, like you wised up to getting infatuated way too quickly.. it turns you into a "pussy"- to be blunt about it, and most women think you are strange for having fallen for them that quickly. if you can mix the "full on really early on" with confidence and direction then great, but you're not usually going to be at your best when you're brainwashed with infatuation. that's why A) i try not to fall for women too quickly, and i reason with myself, and B) i don't wait around with someone who i'm really attracted to. for me, if it gets to the stage where i'm feeling those strong infatuated feelings before i get anywhere with someone it's game over. that's just my experience..

although my theory goes that female ENFPs would be able to get away with this far more than the guys.:proud:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's an ENFP thing... I definitely do that. I fall hard and fast. I also fall out "crush" pretty quickly, too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I tend to fall into infatuation rather quickly, because I always try to find the best in another person. This usually leads me to shed them in an almost completely positive light. I can see their flaws (these are often big ones), but I look past them and search for the better side. I get so caught up in wanting to show them their better side when they say things like "I'm not good enough" and "I don't think I can" that I really do have a hard time leaving bad relationships. Either I think it's all my fault that he doesn't want to be with me, or I blame myself for his bad moods/ poor treatment of me.

I get attached waaaaaay too easily. I see someone that I like, and I pretty much try to show them everything about me all at once. It's kind of overwhelming for them, and it sometimes drives them away. I've learned to slow things down and think it through before I let my emotions go wild. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Reactions: sean.m.54 and Agile

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Many people (NF's particularly) seem to chase after extremity and "end of all ends" situations even though that kind of thing doesn't actually exist.

When they meet a new girl or guy they are attracted to, they are convinced that this person is finally "the one".

When they get depressed, they convince themselves that this is "the lowest low they can sink to".

As if they are constantly trying to outdo their previous emotional life experiences.

Which is why I have seen many NF's fall into infatuation after infatuation and end up being kicked in the ass every time.

They play the same recording through their head everytime.

"okay, THIS time it will work out", or "THIS time I've found the right girl"

or they make justifications about themselves

"last time I was not as experienced, this time I am smarter" or "I have the ability to make things work this time because things are different this time"

even though they haven't done their homework to verify whether or not things have in fact "changed" (which most often they haven't)

It's an endless loop. It is illogical thinking because it requires a person to ignore the facts and ignore their past mistakes in order to continue going on this fantasy ride of infatuations that they are comfortable with.

here's what I've noticed:

ENFP=confuse sexual attraction and desire with emotional needs and attraction which leads to relationships that are not based on what they want them to be.

INFP=let their emotions amplify too quickly and mistake small attractions for actual love, which then blimp up into full blown infatuations over time. Have trouble seeing that there are plenty of compatible people for them out in the world so they usually tend to cling on to the first person they are attracted to and get along well with. Can also sometimes mistake sexual attraction for emotional attraction.

ENFJ=have an incorrect image in their head about what they need in a man and therefore end up with bad partners. Have a very narrow minded view about what they think a relationship can be.

INFJ=similar to ENFJ but with a higher sense of incorrect negative judgement against people that are actually compatible with them for the sake of self preservation.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It actually takes me a long time to become interested in someone (though back when I was single, I loved flirting with everone :dry:) but once I am attached to someone, I have a very hard time letting go.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Well I don't know about infatuation... It's just not in my character (I get distracted too easily)...
Although I am prone to having many crushes and daydreaming about possibilities even though I'm in a committed relationship and I would never pursue them...

Maybe it's just a naive view of the world and always seeing possibilities?

·
Registered
173 Posts
m definetly guilty of this...I have a lot of crushes...like I was 15 lol I love beautifull woman.... I guess how I differ now is to keep infatuation they must have depth and be good people or attraction wears out real quick

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah, this time will surely be different! After all, I grew so much in this one week since we broke up! I know what I want and who I am; it's time to get back together with him and show him I'm willing to work for this relationship!

~2 hours later:

I hate this stupid *******!! And I had almost gotten away this time, too! Why, oh why did I get back with him?!

Story of my life. :dry:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes. Yes, I do.

I get super infatuated super fast, and then since I have this idea of the guy built up in my head, when they turn out to be an asshole, I take a lot more shit than I should because "you don't know them like I know them!" :dry:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I get very infatuated with a lot of women, I think that the more introverted types (INTP, INTJ, ISFP) get infatuated even more so because we are less likely to actually approach the person. It gets built up in our head for so long, and then we don't even want to meet the person because we know nothing can be good as this imagined relationship we have in our heads, it's a vicious cycle XD

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
So far in my life I've met two other ENFPs that have taken the test, and one that believes he's an ENFP. Two of those (all guys) people get infatuated SO easily with a new crush. Even at our age of 25 they still go on like Romeo about how perfect and flawless this new person is.
Haha this made me laugh :) When I have kids there is NO way I'm letting them watch Disney movies or they'll end up as screwed up about love as I am.

God, I hope I'm not like that in my mid twenties.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I take a while to fall for someone, I remember this girl I met 2 years ago, didn't really like her at first... Took about a year for me to fall for her, but she liked handsome sport loving tanned people. So yeah...
:\

·
Registered
185 Posts
I remember fondly, as a teenager falling hard and fast. I guess I am reliving these types of feelings again, but now as a 50 yr old mature (hahaha) woman. It is incredible to find love again.. when you thought you wouldn't. He is an ENFJ and we are quite the couple. It is still new (one month) and the "honeymoon" stage is still on... :blushed:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
:shocked:... OK, that's pretty much me in a nutshell. I get talking to a girl I find attractive, and she'll tell me about herself, I'll naturally start to affirm her self-worth, tell her what she has going for her, and seem to ignore all the negatives she has. As a result, because I try and see the best in everyone and explain away their negatives on any external stimuli that helps, I've ended up getting burned and trying to salvage relationships that had long burnt into ash. So I guess, yeah, I quickly begin to envisage some wonderful future full of joy and glory... of course I've learnt a lot as I've aged, and I try and keep things in perspective now! Also, if a girl can't keep up with me, I very swiftly start to feel miserable, especially if she's the jealous possessive type who doesn't get that I genuinely prefer female company and have a lot of 100% platonic female friendships, or indeed the fact that I *need* people to be around me most of the time... in fact, it can creep a lot of women out that I can be so zany one minute and so deeply serious the next :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fine, I'll confess.
I fall too easily, and when I do, I fall hard. No, I don't like falling for people and do everything I can to try not to. It doesn't work. I try to look for the good in people[seriously, I'm not joking] and will try my best to overlook any flaws/mean things they do. Not very objective, but romance itself isn't.
Most of the time I just keep it in though, if I confessed 1) it would be too scary and 2) would freak out the "object of my desire."
Yes, I'm very good at hiding my feelings. No,I don't consider it a talent...it's more of a defense mechanism.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts