Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm needing a new laptop - What are some of the functions/hardware/software/processes/brand/etc. I should be looking out for?

I'm going to be using this computer for all sorts of things - gaming, work, school, surfing, etc - speed, capacity,graphics, practicality and convenience are the requirements.

Can you please list some of the things I should consider (eg, RAM size, how many USB ports there are, how big the screen should be, etc.)

Price doesn't really matter.

Also suggestions the exact brand would be really helpful - Eg, Lenovo g550, etc.

Thanks! :happy:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Price doesn't matter? So your budget is around 2k?

There are plenty of things to consider, and it really depends on what you want to do.

The best processor ATM is the Intel Core i7. The AMD Phenom II and Core i5 are good too but not as good. What kind of work and stuff will you be doing? If you don't multitask a ton or do graphic design stuff you'll probably be better off with a dual core CPU opposed to a quad since most applications won't take advantage of more than 2 cores.

Screen size matters for resolution and because the bigger screened laptops may not fit into a normal sized backpack. It will also influence how heavy the laptop is. USB ports are important but anywhere from 2 beyond is probably safe. Maybe 3 minimum.

The better the hardware specs are the worse the battery life will be, but most people plug their laptops in if they game (and also invest in a cooling pad

ASUS/Toshiba are supposedly the most reliable, followed by Sony and Apple. I would stay away from other brands like Dell, Acer, HP. RAM, Graphics Card, and CPU are probably the most important specs if you want to play any modern games at all. 4GB is fine for RAM. What kind of games are you looking to play?

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price doesn't matter? So your budget is around 2k?

There are plenty of things to consider, and it really depends on what you want to do.

The best processor ATM is the Intel Core i7. The AMD Phenom II and Core i5 are good too but not as good. What kind of work and stuff will you be doing? If you don't multitask a ton or do graphic design stuff you'll probably be better off with a dual core CPU opposed to a quad since most applications won't take advantage of more than 2 cores.

Screen size matters for resolution and because the bigger screened laptops may not fit into a normal sized backpack. It will also influence how heavy the laptop is. USB ports are important but anywhere from 2 beyond is probably safe. Maybe 3 minimum.

The better the hardware specs are the worse the battery life will be, but most people plug their laptops in if they game (and also invest in a cooling pad

ASUS/Toshiba are supposedly the most reliable, followed by Sony and Apple. I would stay away from other brands like Dell, Acer, HP. RAM, Graphics Card, and CPU are probably the most important specs if you want to play any modern games at all. 4GB is fine for RAM. What kind of games are you looking to play?
Okay, price does matter - 2k is probably the maximum price I'll go up to - I'm looking for around $1500.

I'll be doing everything - all the basic 'student' needs (office, photoshop, blah...) - though I think for me 2 cores would be enough.

Screen size might matter - which ones do you recommend? I'll prefer 3 USB ports.

Yes, I plug it in when I game - so I'll prefer hardware specs over battery life.

I'm looking for a Toshiba - and 4Gig RAM (minimum 2Gigs for me I think) - I'm looking to play all sorts of games (mainly hardcore 3D games, that LAGS loads right now :laughing:).

This will be a laptop which I will use for EVERYTHING - so that's why I'd like it to be balanced in every way.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q890 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 18.4" 6GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD + 64GB SSD HDD BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

That thing is beastly and will handle anything you throw at it, but it's probably too heavy/big and it's more of a desktop replacement than something I'd be bringing around everywhere.

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite M645-S4055 NoteBook Intel Core i5 450M(2.40GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Is probably more up your alley. The screen is 14 inches which is a pretty decent size but still small enough to fit in a normal sized bag. Dual core instead of quad core with a higher processing speed in general due to dual cores being better utilized right now. Card is pretty good, if not amazing. I'd expect it to handle most games on high settings, but medium at worst.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q890 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 18.4" 6GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD + 64GB SSD HDD BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

That thing is beastly and will handle anything you throw at it, but it's probably too heavy/big and it's more of a desktop replacement than something I'd be bringing around everywhere.

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite M645-S4055 NoteBook Intel Core i5 450M(2.40GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Is probably more up your alley. The screen is 14 inches which is a pretty decent size but still small enough to fit in a normal sized bag. Dual core instead of quad core with a higher processing speed in general due to dual cores being better utilized right now. Card is pretty good, if not amazing. I'd expect it to handle most games on high settings, but medium at worst.
Might I just ask, for the latter one, how long is the battery life? Thanks - and is it available in Australia? - Can't seem to find it on the Australia toshiba website!

(And being a computer noob, what kind of games will this run? :laughing:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You can try amazon or another site that will ship internationally.

Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite M645-S4055 LED TruBrite 14-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

The battery life is listed at 5 hours but realistically it seems you can expect 2-3 with normal usage.

People are reporting it runs SC2 and Mass Effect 2 on high settings fine.

It's not exactly a gaming card. It's more of a medium level card, which will run most games fine on the computer's max reso or lower. It's a trade off between cost, size/weight since it's not strictly a gaming laptop.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
AMD is better than intel, intel is just better advertised.

If you're gaming you're going to need a good graphics card, 3-4 gb of ram, a CPU over 2.0 ghz, 160-250 gb hard drive, an optical drive (obviously) a numeral pad, 6 cell battery if you travel a lot? Why so little memory capacity? Because you don't need huge amounts, trust me. 500gb is greedy, I survived on a laptop that had 8gb for nearly a year. If you do ever reach the stage where you need more memory it's as easy as getting an external hard drive (which I'd recommend so you can keep your files somewhere safe if you're laptop breaks) or even better you can get a hard drive from any old/broken laptop/computer in your house and buy a hard drive enclosure, which is only 10 bucks or so compared to an external one which is 60-80. This is also an even better way to backup and keep files for cheap.

The price of specs like these will be expensive. You can get very powerful notebooks these days but I'd rather game on a screen 13-15 inches (better resolution), with a larger keyboard and of course an optical drive. Notebooks rarely have these. You can get an external one of course but you'll still have a small screen, lack a numeral pad and you'll have a cramped keyboard (though it's easy to get used to).

Would you like me to suggest some laptops with such requirements? Would you consider getting a notebook despite having a bad keyboard, screen and lack of optical drive?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
AMD is better than intel, intel is just better advertised.
What? Is this just your opinion or are you claiming it as fact? I like AMD and if I built a new desktop I'd probably grab a Phenom II over an i5/i7, but that's strictly budget related. AMD generally provides better price/performance, but in terms of overall performance the Phenom II is on par/slightly worse than the i5 and definitely worse than the i7. If you're looking for bang for your buck, you go AMD. If you want performance, you go Intel.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

[Blog] AMD Phenom II Six Core 1090T vs Core i7 920 Full Comparison | TechREACTION

Phenom II X6 1055T VS X6 1090T VS Core i7 980x Benchmark Review

500GB of space is a lot for some people, and a little for others. I could fill a 500GB drive easily and some may never fill it.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
What? Is this just your opinion or are you claiming it as fact? I like AMD and if I built a new desktop I'd probably grab a Phenom II over an i5/i7, but that's strictly budget related. AMD generally provides better price/performance, but in terms of overall performance the Phenom II is on par/slightly worse than the i5 and definitely worse than the i7. If you're looking for bang for your buck, you go AMD. If you want performance, you go Intel.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

[Blog] AMD Phenom II Six Core 1090T vs Core i7 920 Full Comparison | TechREACTION

Phenom II X6 1055T VS X6 1090T VS Core i7 980x Benchmark Review

500GB of space is a lot for some people, and a little for others. I could fill a 500GB drive easily and some may never fill it.
I'm sure AMD vs Intel has been debated enough and it would be pointless to repeat it all over again on this forum.

I consider the price an important aspect when buying a laptop which is why AMD gets extra points. I'm a gamer and I bought a laptop worth 340 because I didn't over do it or get things I didn't need. I got an acer with 160 gb hdd (I have an external hard drive), 1 gb ram (upgraded to 4 gb) an AMD turion 64 1.6 ghz, it came with windows seven but I downgraded it because my uncle works for microsoft and sent me a windows 7 home premium disk to install onto it. Which was also cost effective. And I'm fine with this laptop. It does what I need it to do and pretty well. Going over the top with things you probably won't need is unnecessary and a waste of money considering the options you have with laptop accessories. I'm sure everyone has some ram from old laptops lying around the house too.

If you can fill 500gb easily then you should delete things you don't need anymore. That sounds like a lot of junk considering most software is 2-3 gb and games are 6 and up. Even songs, images and videos don't cost a lot of memory. Plus buying a laptop with 500gb of memory will cost more than getting an external hard drive.

However if the OP is considering spending that much and wants to get a lot of life the laptop, then go for high specs. 1000 budget really means you're going to end up with a very nice laptop. Get a mac, an alienware (though these can cost up to 5000 lol).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm sure AMD vs Intel has been debated enough and it would be pointless to repeat it all over again on this forum.

I consider the price an important aspect when buying a laptop which is why AMD gets extra points. I'm a gamer and I bought a laptop worth 340 because I didn't over do it or get things I didn't need. I got an acer with 160 gb hdd (I have an external hard drive), 1 gb ram (upgraded to 4 gb) an AMD turion 64 1.6 ghz, it came with windows seven but I downgraded it because my uncle works for microsoft and sent me a windows 7 home premium disk to install onto it. Which was also cost effective. And I'm fine with this laptop. It does what I need it to do and pretty well. Going over the top with things you probably won't need is unnecessary and a waste of money considering the options you have with laptop accessories. I'm sure everyone has some ram from old laptops lying around the house too.

If you can fill 500gb easily then you should delete things you don't need anymore. That sounds like a lot of junk considering most software is 2-3 gb and games are 6 and up. Even songs, images and videos don't cost a lot of memory. Plus buying a laptop with 500gb of memory will cost more than getting an external hard drive.

However if the OP is considering spending that much and wants to get a lot of life the laptop, then go for high specs. 1000 budget really means you're going to end up with a very nice laptop. Get a mac, an alienware (though these can cost up to 5000 lol).
Okay. Let's not get into AMD vs Intel.

Price is important - if you're really on a tight budget. If you're on a tight budget AMD is probably the better option. The OP has stated his limit is between $1-2,000, he wants to play games, multitask, etc. I'm glad you're fine with a low cost laptop from Acer, but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for. I really wouldn't recommend Acer to anyone nor would I recommend the Turion to the OP.

Since he's going to be gaming he's going to need a good processor and a good graphics card. The processor and CPU are both important for gaming, although the GPU is definitely much more so in that aspect.

The GT330M isn't a fantastic GPU but it's good enough to run modern games on medium-high settings. Considering he needs a portable laptop 14" is a pretty good compromise in terms of size. I don't know many people with RAM from old laptops lying around. I sure don't have any.

Specs are important but so is the brand. ASUS/Toshiba were the lowest in terms of hardware failure rate in a 3 year period according to a study of 30,000 laptops. Acer was among the worst and their tech support is awful (although I think you can say that about most companies in general, especially computer manufacturers.)

500 GB isn't a waste for me, nor is it for many others. It really just depends on what your needs are. I also prefer not having to delete stuff just because I rarely use it. HD space isn't very expensive anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Alienware or Apple to the OP either. Alienware is (or at least was) overpriced hype and Apple is overpriced period, although fairly reliable with good tech support. If you compare Macbooks vs other Laptops the differences in pricing for the same specs are absurd.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Okay. Let's not get into AMD vs Intel.

Price is important - if you're really on a tight budget. If you're on a tight budget AMD is probably the better option. The OP has stated his limit is between $1-2,000, he wants to play games, multitask, etc. I'm glad you're fine with a low cost laptop from Acer, but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for. I really wouldn't recommend Acer to anyone nor would I recommend the Turion to the OP.

Since he's going to be gaming he's going to need a good processor and a good graphics card. The processor and CPU are both important for gaming, although the GPU is definitely much more so in that aspect.

The GT330M isn't a fantastic GPU but it's good enough to run modern games on medium-high settings. Considering he needs a portable laptop "14 is a pretty good compromise in terms of size. I don't know many people with RAM from old laptops lying around. I sure don't have any.

Specs are important but so is the brand. ASUS/Toshiba were the lowest in terms of hardware ailure in a 3 year period according to a study of 30,000 laptops. Acer was among the worst and their tech support is awful (although I think you can say that about most companies in general, especially computer manufacturers.)

500 GB isn't a waste for me, nor is it for many others. It really just depends on what your needs are. I also prefer not having to delete stuff just because I rarely use it. HD space isn't very expensive anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Alienware or Apple to the OP either. Alienware is (or at least was) overpriced hype and Apple is overpriced period, although fairly reliable with good tech support. If you compare Macbooks vs other Laptops the differences in pricing for the same specs are absurd.
Over here people leave their old laptops lying around and instead of reusing the ram/parts they just sell the whole laptop (where you could sell all parts separately for more) or keep it somewhere gathering dust. People should be more resourceful, it saves a lot of money in the long run. Hell, you could even buy broken laptops from ebay for extra parts. Costs way less than just buying a laptop with all the parts. I'd rather buy a laptop that's mediocre, but nice looking then pimp it. They're different than cars in that aspect. Ram cost a lot over here.

I missed that detail, I only read the first comment.

Over priced? If you're budget is 1-2k that's not a problem. There's nothing wrong with apple macs and alienware then.

My example was to show how we don't need to have top of the line everything because the minimum will get us by for much, much cheaper and it's not even that bad lowering your standards. I have a ps3 to game on but I'm still able to play sims on this, stream videos quickly, edit videos, browse on the internet with speed. What more do I need? But I didn't know the price the OP was considering because I was careless. My computer is exactly what I need, my budget was 480 (the price of an iphone over here) and I still got it. The acer will do lol. Who cares about stories about brands? Everyone complains about dell, I've never had a problem with dell so I trust them, fuck stories. Most problems are fixable unless the machine is faulty, then because I always get warranty I ask for a replacement. It's not that much of an inconvenience if you get an external hard drive and keep your files on that. This has been my experience with laptops thus far and I've been through 4 since I was twelve. I haven't even needed to improve the performance on my OS yet.

Anyway, macbooks are very good if you're going to spend 1k anyway, my household owned one before and the keyboard, the OS, the screen, the battery, the performance, I can't see why someone wouldn't like them.

Well, I put all my old files from my laptops over the years onto this and it took up 100 gbs or so. I'm currently storing everything on this and it's still running smoothly, so what's the problem? And how long will I take to fill the 500 extra gbs? I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping everything you don't need.

What I'd recommend for the ultimate gaming and performance though, is building your own computer (something I'm in the process of doing but it's going to take a while because I'm only using my own money and not my parents to fund it). It's also a lot cheaper.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Hum I'm a hardcore computer gamer. My recommendation is to get a AMD Quad core DDR3 ram preferably 6 gigs, at least 500 gigs of hardrive space, good cooling if you intend to use it for long periods of time also definitely make sure it comes with a good built in graphics card. I would say Alien ware if you not on a budget. You can get a laptop for cheaper because its AMD not Intel but both too me are just as good. As for gaming wise 6 gigs should be good 4 will do. a good quadcore 1.6ghz + or a awesome dual core 2.4+. Built in graphics looks for Nvidias there alot better. Avoid Intel graphics chipsets.

I run a awesome home built comp that cost me around 1.5k but theres are some kind of specs when looking for a gaming comp (Nvidia is better then ATI)
AMD Quadcore 2.2ghz
6 Gig of DDR3 Ram
1TB Harddrive
750 Watt Power supply
2 GTX 465
Tons and Tons of cooling

If you have 1.5k +
Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6059 PSAX3U-002004 Notebook PC - AMD Phenom II Quad-Core P920 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 16 Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

If not here are some good AMD Quad cores 4gigs of DDR3 ram with 500 gigs of hardrive
Laptops & Notebooks Guided Search at TigerDirect.com

Reactions: Aßbiscuits

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Over here people leave their old laptops lying around and instead of reusing the ram/parts they just sell the whole laptop (where you could sell all parts separately for more) or keep it somewhere gathering dust. People should be more resourceful, it saves a lot of money in the long run. Hell, you could even buy broken laptops from ebay for extra parts. Costs way less than just buying a laptop with all the parts. I'd rather buy a laptop that's mediocre, but nice looking then pimp it. They're different than cars in that aspect. Ram cost a lot over here.

I missed that detail, I only read the first comment.

Over priced? If you're budget is 1-2k that's not a problem. There's nothing wrong with apple macs and alienware then.

My example was to show how we don't need to have top of the line everything because the minimum will get us by for much, much cheaper and it's not even that bad lowering your standards. I have a ps3 to game on but I'm still able to play sims on this, stream videos quickly, edit videos, browse on the internet with speed. What more do I need? But I didn't know the price the OP was considering because I was careless. My computer is exactly what I need, my budget was 480 (the price of an iphone over here) and I still got it. The acer will do lol. Who cares about stories about brands? Everyone complains about dell, I've never had a problem with dell so I trust them, fuck stories. Most problems are fixable unless the machine is faulty, then because I always get warranty I ask for a replacement. It's not that much of an inconvenience if you get an external hard drive and keep your files on that. This has been my experience with laptops thus far and I've been through 4 since I was twelve. I haven't even needed to improve the performance on my OS yet.

Anyway, macbooks are very good if you're going to spend 1k anyway, my household owned one before and the keyboard, the OS, the screen, the battery, the performance, I can't see why someone wouldn't like them.

Well, I put all my old files from my laptops over the years onto this and it took up 100 gbs or so. I'm currently storing everything on this and it's still running smoothly, so what's the problem? And how long will I take to fill the 500 extra gbs? I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping everything you don't need.

What I'd recommend for the ultimate gaming and performance though, is building your own computer (something I'm in the process of doing but it's going to take a while because I'm only using my own money and not my parents to fund it). It's also a lot cheaper.
I have plenty of reasons not to like Macbooks. I'm on one right now (but it's not mine). I think they're good machines but extremely overpriced and more suited for general tasks than gaming. 1k is essentially the worst Macbook you can buy and the specs are not good enough to play modern/demanding games on anything above low settings. To get a capable Macbook it would cost you between $1800-2200 and you're getting much worse specs than you can get in a PC Laptop from Asus, Toshiba, or several other brands for a similar or lower price.

Example: 15 inch Macbook Pro doesn't get an i7 until $2200. Comes with a 500GB 5200 RPM hard drive (that's not the fast kind, it's standard) 4GB of RAM, and a video card worse than you can get in a $1000 Toshiba. (The one I linked in an earlier post has the same card with double the dedicated RAM as the $2200 15" Macbook Pro)

For $1700 you can get an 18.4 inch Laptop from Toshiba that destroys even the $2200 Macbook Pro (which is 5" smaller, better for travel but worse if you're looking to game or use it as a desktop replacement)
Comes with an i7 processor, 500GB HD (but with a 7200 RPM hard drive, which is responsible for vastly improving performance since a Hard Drive is the slowest computer part outside of a floppy or CD drive.) It also comes with a solid state drive (which destroys a regular hard drive in terms of performance), 6GB of RAM opposed to 4, a vastly superior video card with twice the RAM (1GB of GDDR5 vs 512MB of GDDR3), etc.

Most people are fine with a Macbook, but for people who play modern/demanding games they're a horrible option.

I'm not talking about stories about brands. I'm talking about stories + data confirming them. Acer has a significantly higher rate of hardware failure than other brands. They can put in high specs for good prices because they skimp on quality and tech support. If it breaks, you're essentially screwed.

I've had my own issues with Dell and I don't trust them at all. Last time I got a desktop from them I had massive overheating problems due to improper cooling and a poor case. I had to buy a new case, new fans etc and it was a pain because of proprietary design. I called Dell to get help with it but they wouldn't do anything unless it broke first. Aside from that, I had to specifically request a native English speaker because I was talking to people from India. No lie.

You're being very narrow minded when it comes to a lot of things, especially HD space. Like I've said before, you may be cool with 200GB of space but people with different needs often do need more. If you watch anime, a single series could end up being over 30GB or beyond by itself. High quality movies can range from 700MB - 1.5GB, or even over 10GB for a single blue ray. If you watch a TV series, or a few you'll find that they can be quite large as well. Your needs are not the same as everyone elses, and I don't see a reason someone should skimp on a hard drive if they can actually use the space. I used to personally be very into audio, and use some FLAC albums. Many audio enthusiasts do use FLAC. They take up significantly more space than mp3's. A 30GB collection in mp3 format might be 150-300GB in FLAC. Point being - HDs are not expensive and there are MANY ways people can fill up a Hard Drive. Internal Hard Drives also perform better than External Hard Drives.

Overall point - people have different needs for their computers. They should get whatever suits their personal needs best when budget and other things are considered. There is no one size fits all.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you get any sort of laptop, make sure you get one with a decent battery life, a fast processor (for gaming). Might I suggest that if you're concerned about Hard Drive space, you might want to get something with at least 250GB, but you can always by a 1TB external hard drive while purchasing a laptop with a small hard drive (to save some money).

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Don't forget under laptop fans and cooling pads! heat makes your gaming horrible low fps super overworked gfx card! Never ever forget cooling! I can't emphasize on it enough! I melted a sound card a x1300 gfx card and a motherboard before I learned my lesson! Laptop or desktop gamers must always have cooling! My desktop runs at 25-35 Celsius 24/7!

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I have plenty of reasons not to like Macbooks. I'm on one right now (but it's not mine). I think they're good machines but extremely overpriced and more suited for general tasks than gaming. 1k is essentially the worst Macbook you can buy and the specs are not good enough to play modern/demanding games on anything above low settings. To get a capable Macbook it would cost you between $1800-2200 and you're getting much worse specs than you can get in a PC Laptop from Asus, Toshiba, or several other brands for a similar or lower price.

Example: 15 inch Macbook Pro doesn't get an i7 until $2200. Comes with a 500GB 5200 RPM hard drive (that's not the fast kind, it's standard) 4GB of RAM, and a video card worse than you can get in a $1000 Toshiba. (The one I linked in an earlier post has the same card with double the dedicated RAM as the $2200 15" Macbook Pro)

For $1700 you can get an 18.4 inch Laptop from Toshiba that destroys even the $2200 Macbook Pro (which is 5" smaller, better for travel but worse if you're looking to game or use it as a desktop replacement)
Comes with an i7 processor, 500GB HD (but with a 7200 RPM hard drive, which is responsible for vastly improving performance since a Hard Drive is the slowest computer part outside of a floppy or CD drive.) It also comes with a solid state drive (which destroys a regular hard drive in terms of performance), 6GB of RAM opposed to 4, a vastly superior video card with twice the RAM (1GB of GDDR5 vs 512MB of GDDR3), etc.

Most people are fine with a Macbook, but for people who play modern/demanding games they're a horrible option.

I'm not talking about stories about brands. I'm talking about stories + data confirming them. Acer has a significantly higher rate of hardware failure than other brands. They can put in high specs for good prices because they skimp on quality and tech support. If it breaks, you're essentially screwed.

I've had my own issues with Dell and I don't trust them at all. Last time I got a desktop from them I had massive overheating problems due to improper cooling and a poor case. I had to buy a new case, new fans etc and it was a pain because of proprietary design. I called Dell to get help with it but they wouldn't do anything unless it broke first. Aside from that, I had to specifically request a native English speaker because I was talking to people from India. No lie.

You're being very narrow minded when it comes to a lot of things, especially HD space. Like I've said before, you may be cool with 200GB of space but people with different needs often do need more. If you watch anime, a single series could end up being over 30GB or beyond by itself. High quality movies can range from 700MB - 1.5GB, or even over 10GB for a single blue ray. If you watch a TV series, or a few you'll find that they can be quite large as well. Your needs are not the same as everyone elses, and I don't see a reason someone should skimp on a hard drive if they can actually use the space. I used to personally be very into audio, and use some FLAC albums. Many audio enthusiasts do use FLAC. They take up significantly more space than mp3's. A 30GB collection in mp3 format might be 150-300GB in FLAC. Point being - HDs are not expensive and there are MANY ways people can fill up a Hard Drive. Internal Hard Drives also perform better than External Hard Drives.

Overall point - people have different needs for their computers. They should get whatever suits their personal needs best when budget and other things are considered. There is no one size fits all.
You have to be narrow minded when you buy laptops with the money you earn yourself and you're still in school. My main point was that I got by with simple specs easily and I had no problems gaming (and I can still play sims 3 on this mediocre bargain laptop :p) and going over the top when you can be more cost conscious (really helps in today's world). But, you've at least helped me look through the narrowness at this from a different perspective.

My point about memory is that if you buy a cheaper laptop, you won't fill the memory that quickly so you can save by buying an external hard drive when you need it. I'm not saying "get 250gb, it's all you'll ever need" lol. Buying a 500bg laptop will cost more than buying a 250gb laptop and getting an external hard drive. I've already said this.

I'd say I'd have no problem gaming with a macbook compared to what I used to have and I got by fine with them. Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. And still dell and acer do their job. I have no complaints.

Yep, that's true. But people are wasting their money to fit their "needs".

This argument is going to repeat itself. Let's agree to disagree. I'm stingy and I've low standards and you don't mind spending a lot for a laptop, that's the main issue here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts