Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Are you 4w3 or 4w5?

2. Are you more introverted than most extroverts? How does being a four play into your extroverted side?

3. Do you feel that being a type 4 and an extrovert are contradictory?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
1. Are you 4w3 or 4w5?
I think 4w5, but I'm not 100% certain. I've definitely considered 4w3. I'm sure of the so/sx stacking though.

2. Are you more introverted than most extroverts? How does being a four play into your extroverted side?
I am probably a bit more introverted than most extroverts. Definitely less outgoing. I think being a Four likely contributed to my thinking I was an introvert for so long. I also think (and this is a new thought, so it's not yet very developed) that being an extroverted Four is an interesting dynamic due to the Four's desire to feel understood and the extrovert's finding energy in relating with others. They seem to go almost hand-in-hand, although Four is not typically thought to be extroverted. I crave relationships - not only for the energy I get from conversation, being around people, etc, but for the chance to express myself to another person and seek understanding from a place outside myself. Not that that understanding is ever really found...which perhaps is why I find myself feeling so let down by and frustrated with relationships much of the time. And this probably is all nonsense of me just thinking through typing.

Not at all. I think the combination just makes for an interesting dynamic. There's a kind of tension there, between what is necessary and what is likely to be disappointing. You know?

...Sometimes I type things up and then I read them back and I don't even quite understand what I mean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1. Are you 4w3 or 4w5?

...I am 4w5 and I have trouble seeing how a 4w5 can have anything other than the "appearance" of being extroverted [Fe]...I lived basically as a hermit for a nine year stretch of my life...one to one and small groups make 4w5's "look" extroverted but rest assured, they are not...4-5-9 are the withdrawn types and four reinforced by (the double withdrawn) five is quite reclusive...I have one best friend who I almost never see or contact, even on Facebook...

...I'm am very animated in one-to-one and small groups...I seek to control the atmosphere of the interaction when I am happiest but moodiness is something impossible to hide...I like to set mood (lighting, sound, smell, vocal tone)...I dress just to go to the grocery store...I will never go out without having preened...I dress unique and for attention...I am too high maintenance to be a 9...too emotionally reactive to be a 5, though I am prone to absent-mindedness...I always feel somewhat stormy inside...I probably vacillate between 4w5 and 5w4 once I have my significant other but I can never stay in either type...each one pulls on me and the pull is unmistakable...I am self-aware enough to realize when it is happening...I have the microscopic focus of Five when I am on to something interesting but there is always the "feeling" of missing out on something...it is weird...

I can identify with the inferior Se in the INFJ cognitive process...the slow candle burn to dynamite when something has upset me...the delayed reaction to perceived slight...I have to remove myself physically from the person who has done this or what comes out is anything but empathetic...and it is cumulative over time...if the same person continues with these "slights", the reaction becomes quicker and quicker...it just becomes intolerable without a full-blown act of negative expression...like a volcano...this inferior function is something fellow INFJ's need to become aware of...it can bring much destruction to relationships because once it is unleashed, nothing can temper it...it must run its course for better or worse...we must become self aware enough to catch what triggers it...

...that said, I do think there is some contradiction with extroversion and the more reclusive fours and I have particular trouble believing that any type on the Myers-Briggs can be a type 4...having studied Riso/Hudson, Jung and Horney, some things just don't add up when we are trying to correlate the types to real life testing, which is hit or miss at best...to truly find your type takes more than just a ten minute test and an instant certifiable result...it might require as long as year (or more) of in depth analysis...the expansion of the Enneagram is not making this easier...it was'nt designed to label us, it was designed to help us see what defense mechanism we employ daily and how to neutralize it...we all have a particular lens by which we see the world and the Enneagram was designed to help crack that lens and enlighten us...

·
Registered
57 Posts
i just want to say i feel this is my biggest problem that im not if there is a stable solution for.
i want to elaborate
i feel to upset right now
if anyone want a one on one talk id love too.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1. Are you 4w3 or 4w5?

1. 4w3.

2. I'm pretty introverted in a lot of ways. I need a lot more space and down time than a most other extroverts. Not sure how my 4w3 side plays in though. I imagine it only makes me more of an attention whore and a showoff to be honest. I'm a pretty confident person, and I hold my head up high.

3. I really don't know enough about the Enneagram to answer that but I wouldn't think so. 3s seem to be an extroverted type whereas 5s seem to be introverted. 4s I would say are somewhere in the middle, just like ENFPs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts