Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've been finding it difficult to come across any heavy metal, post-hardcore, metal-core, etc. fans on here, which is a total bummer considering I am one. Is it because it just seems too violent and loud? I've been pondering that for a while now. I mean, do people think it's too barbaric and unintelligent? I know a lot of intelligent people who love heavy metal! Hmm, what do you guys think?

For People Who Don't Like Metal:
Why don't you like it?
What kind of music do you prefer?
Do you have any friends who like it?

For People Who Do Like Metal:
When, where, and how were you introduced to metal?
What is your favorite band?
Why are they your favorite band?

·
Banned
134 Posts
I never, ever, understood all the terms they invented for the different styles of music. Maybe that's because English isn't my first language. What does 'metal' mean when describing music, and when does metal become heavy metal?

In any case, I like different kinds of music - something to go with all my different moods. Is AC/DC metal? Cause I have totally been listening to some of their songs repeatedly over the last couple of weeks. "Heatseeker" is definitely one of my favorites. I also like listening to Papa Roach and System of a Down. Are any of those metal? I just save those in my "guitar music" folder on my PC.

Sometimes it's the lyrics that I like, sometimes it's the general flow or melody that speaks to me. I came across these bands when listening to the radio. Something that I do less and less now.

So which bands do you like?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Well at first I was pretty much solely into pop and rap music. This was the late 90s and early 00s. Then my parents started getting super Christian and we were no longer allowed to listen to secular music. I began to dissent, and my lack of music began to get at me. At this time I was also watching wrestling and a lot of the specials and intros were to hard rock bands (that at the time were "metal"). Bands like Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Saliva, and Papa Roach. I listened to a lot of these type of bands through my friends and eventually a friend recommended Slipknot. I was hesitant because I found their imagery "satanic" and it scared me to listen to them when I was 12 which is what drew me to them. I got Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses and that was all she wrote. I was into metal. Simultaneously the whole "screamo" thing was happening with bands like The Used, Silverstein, etc. and I started to get into that as well. The two of these eventually merged into metal-core and post-hardcore and that led to where I am now.

My favorite "metal" band is Between the Buried and Me, but my favorite band period is "The Fall of Troy" a post-hardcore band.

Well The Fall of Troy is my favorite band because their body of work is brilliant. Brilliant riffs and songs, great time signature shifts, and just brilliant songs all around. When I first heard them they were the best mix of harsh and melodic, heavy, and soft. Since the day I heard them I've been hooked.

With Between the Buried and Me the story is a little different. Before I started listening to them I was only into metal like that of Slipknot or Mastodon. It's metal, but it's by no means the hardest stuff out there. It's the metal of the late 90s early 00s it wasn't really the forefront. A friend of mine that I met in highschool introduced me to bands like HORSE the Band, Between the Buried and Me, Sea of Treachery, Winds of Plague, etc. Bands that were much newer. With Between the Buried Me I wasn't completely hooked. Actually, at first I hated them. I liked a few songs. Alaska, All Bodies, Selkies: The endless Obsession, but that was it. I downloaded their entire discography though and I just left it on their. One day, Ants of Sky from their colors album came on when I just didn't care what I was listening to. And I was hooked. That song was brilliant! Eventually I listened to the whole album in succession and it has been my favorite album ever since.

Metal isn't for everyone because not everyone wants to take the time to let an album sink in. They want to put something on that they can sing along to after only a couple listens.

My favorite genres of metal are Progressive Metal, post-hardcore, math-core, Doom metal, and Stoner Metal.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I know of quite a few people who are metal fans here. They're on my friends list ;)

When I started high school there was this classmate who was totally into this goth phase at that time, and he worshipped Marilyn Manson. I wanted to know what all the hype was about, so I started listening to Manson too (don't laugh)...and yeah, I became a total hardcore Manson fan. Then I started exploring the alternative music genre, and settled with rock and metal, but mostly metal, and the intricacies of its subgenres :D. Yes, yes, I did start listening to embarrassingly teenybopper metal, like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir..lol.

***My Dying Bride*** the absolute zenith of doom metal
Opeth
Angra
Graveworm
Dark Tranquillity
Cradle of Filth
Iron Maiden
Ensiferum

I also listen to these bands on and off, and although I really like them I've never bothered to get to know them as well as I would like:
Ablaze in Hatred, Amon Amarth, Aborym, Akercocke, Arch Enemy, Chthonic, Daath, Dark Funeral, Edguy, Dragonforce, Immortal, Haggard, The Kovenant, Nile, Rhapsody, Wintersun and Witchery.

My Dying Bride - beautiful, doomy, melancholy, dark, romantic music...
Opeth - They're very experimental, very artsy. Often imitated, never duplicated.
Angra - they beautifully incorporate their native Brazilian music influences, which in turn has a lot of African beats, with power/prog metal. It works amazingly well and it's their USP.
Graveworm - they use bagpipes and organs and mix in a lot of electro-sounds, I dunno, I just think this is really nifty. Their music is also very atmospheric.
Dark Tranquillity - lots of really funky beats (dunno how to explain it lol I'm not familiar with a lot of music terms)
Cradle of Filth - I only followed CoF up until Median, except perhaps for Nymphetamine. Musically they're only alright but I love reading the lyrics; the prose is very...baroque. However they have some good tracks here and there, for example Funeral in Carpathia, and Beauty Slept in Sodom, which uses some sort of a Victorian keyboard for the intro which I thought was cool.
Iron Maiden - lol come on, who doesn't like Maiden? I only really got into it last year, just to see what the hype is all about, and I'm glad I did! Their tracks are just oozing with energy and the catchiness just hooked me in immediately. I saw them live earlier this year and Bruce Dickinson, the frontman, is very enthusiastic and has a very strong stage presence.
Ensiferum - I love the incorporation of Celtic-y and Scandinavian folk elements in Viking metal, although it doesn't mean I'll automatically love every band who does this (ahem Finntroll), but Ensiferum is great at it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was first introduced to metal at the age of 7(?) as my cousins used to listen to it all the time, though at that time I didn't really have a defined musical taste and mainly just pretended to like it to impress my cousins. I eventually started to like AC/DC and Iron Maiden a lot as well as a few Slayer songs (Angel of Death and South of Heaven) which was shown to me by a slightly older friend. At the age of 12(?) I discovered a band called Soilwork by hearing two of their songs (Song of the Damned and Distortion Sleep) in some sort of game video from youtube. By this time metal became the only thing I listened to and it would be very difficult to list every single band, but among my favourites were Soilwork (of course), In Flames, Slayer and Children of Bodom. I still listen to metal but today my taste is more varied. I'd say that my current favourite is 'Sabaton.' I love their style, lyrics and origin.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
When I was in my teens the trend was 'goth' and I fell into it, that got me into nu metal and from there I accidentally downloaded some black metal and it's had me caught in its grip ever since. (Though my tastes are soooo vast nowadays and metal is very few and far between)

I'm going to list more than one because I can't pick: Agalloch, Type O Negative & Uaral.

Agalloch are just so ambient, intense and amazing - much like Uaral. They're very acoustic and like some chill out music seem to capture the atmosphere of nature and life but in such a sad yet inspiring way. Does that even make sense?
Then type o negative... baby making songs.

147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never, ever, understood all the terms they invented for the different styles of music. Maybe that's because English isn't my first language. What does 'metal' mean when describing music, and when does metal become heavy metal?
Metal can vary really. Metal mostly consists of bands such as System Of A Down, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Trivium, and other bands like those. Heavy metal is used to describe music that shares similarities with metal but is more "hardcore" as others would say. It just involves a lot of complex guitar chords and notes, a lot more drum, and even some screaming. So, in a sense, bands like DevilDriver, Bullet For My Valentine, and In Dying Arms.

So which bands do you like?
I like several bands. I like the bands I listed, Asking Alexandria, The Devil Wears Prada, Escape The Fate, Miss May I, Black Veil Brides, A Day To Remember, Breaking Benjamin, Set To Stun (my favorite), 30 Seconds To Mars, Hollywood Undead (they have a lot of rap laced with their music, but it still has a lot of guitar, drums, and screaming), Slipknot, Stone Sour, World Under Blood, Saliva, The Used, Silverstein, Slayer, and a lot of other ones I can't think of at the moment.

Reactions: KINGoftheAMAZONS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, looks like it's my turn.

I grew up listening to metal. My parents were really huge metal fanatics and went to every concert they could, leaving me to my grandmother. The first band I remember listening to was Pantera.

It's a tie between Set To Stun and Black Veil Brides.

Set To Stun: Their lyrics are just so powerful and meaningful. I can definitely relate to them.
Black Veil Brides: Again, their lyrics are meaningful but they aren't so violent and gory as Set To Stun, and I respect that. People stereo-typically visualize a metal band as four guys screaming at you about how they want to burn down the world, but when you hear Black Veil Bride's music you hear about a group of guys getting bullied at a very young age because of the way they looked and the music they listened to but still managed to make a positive experience out of it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
When, where, and how were you introduced to metal?\
I'd long been a fan of more popular bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc. but had never had any exposure to or friends who liked more obscure bands and genres. I grew up in a small rural town and this was in the late 90s when the internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now. When I got to college and began going online a lot I came across message boards and communities where people were discussing all manner of music I'd never heard of, and my interest was piqued from there. Throughout my 20s I probably averaged one concert a month.

I'm not a person who has "favorites" of anything when it comes to media. Some bands that are among all time favorites include Bolt Thrower, Agalloch, My Dying Bride, Death, Carcass, Iron Maiden, Opeth, Katatonia, The Crown and Enslaved. A few bands I've gotten into in the past few years that I really like are Alcest, Negura Bunget, Eluveiete, Portal, and Mitochondrion.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I don't immediately stick out, because it is one of a huge variety of genres that I'm into. I'm just as home listening to electronic dance music, hip-hop, and classical as I am metal. That being said, a large percentage of my listening is metal, I attend concerts, etc., and I consider myself a fan, so I'll participate.

My father is a semi-professional blues musician, and he is very into a wide variety of music. While he's not a metal fan himself, it was through him I heard about it. He did have some metal (specifically, heavy metal) such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in our home's massive collection of "classic rock" and the like, so I got started through them. We were early heavy internet users, and even by elementary school I was very into computer use, so I researched further on the internet. It was in the beginning of middle school that I moved beyond extremely well-known bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica and started exploring other metal (though much of it is very popular in OTHER countries), and I've been a fan ever since.

I don't have a single favorite band, nor even a favorite metal band. However, I can do a top 10 metal bands, in no order:

-Agalloch
-Opeth
-Gojira
-Wolves in the Throne Room
-Rage Against the Machine
-Katatonia
-Sonata Arctica
-Kreator
-Rammstein
-Dark Tranquillity

-Agalloch: Excellent cross between black metal, post-metal, and neofolk musical styles, with very poetic lyrics. Incredible atmospheres are created by their music, and the composition is very sophisticated - this is music I have to really sit and listen to.

-Opeth: Similar reasons that I like Agalloch. I don't find Opeth quite as compositionally interesting as Agalloch, which is unsurprising given Agalloch's band members' background in music theory, but they make up for it with their instrumental skill. Though the band Dream Theater might be able to combine prog rock with metal as well as Agalloch, and though they may be more instrumentally skilled, no one makes quite the same combination of prog-rock instrumental skill and complexity, emotional depth, and variety (I love the harsh contrasts between the mellow, melancholic passages and the very heavy parts). Another band I have to really sit and listen to.

-Gojira: A very unusual French death metal band with an extremely unique sound. They make heavy use of dissonance, texture, and rhythm in their music, with (like the previous two bands) unconventional song structures. Particularly interesting are the heavy use of polyrhythm and polymeter and the aforementioned prevalence of instrumental texture. Unlike true experimental metal bands, such as Meshuggah, however, they do not rely TOO heavily on the "mathematical" parts of the music to make it interesting - techniques such as polymetering are incorporated in ways that make the music more expressive through the creative use of rhythm, whereas to me, bands like Meshuggah come off to me as using them for their own sake. There is nothing wrong with the latter approach, but it isn't my thing. Gojira manages to strike an interesting balance between concise modern metal songwriting and experimentalism.

-Wolves in the Throne Room: My favorite black metal band - pure atmosphere. I'm not normally an emotional person, but this music makes me feel in the most primal sense. Can't really describe it. Plus the environmental message is a nice break from "satanic" nonsense, or even worse the wave of reactionary populist nationalism sweeping the European black metal scene these days.

-Rage Against the Machine: Great crossover band, incorporating funk, punk, and rap with metal and a radical leftist message (very compatible with my politics).

-Katatonia: Excellent band that foregoes instrumental flashiness or radical experimentalism in favor of very concise, tight, yet still unique songwriting, combined with well-written lyrics and a good sense of emotion.

-Sonata Arctica: My favorite of the so-called "flower metal" bands (very melodic European power metal). While they follow a more traditional power-metal route as opposed to the unusual directions of the other bands on the list, and despite sometimes being repetitive, they have basically perfected the "flower metal" formula. Furthermore, the good songs (of which there are a great many) are fantastic examples of tight "pop" (verse-chorus-bridge) songwriting, with melody being a particularly strong point. Lastly, the absence of dragons and elves from the lyrics is a nice break from the usual power metal fare (not that I don't sometimes listen to the latter).

-Kreator: Move over Metallica and friends, this is my favorite thrash metal band. Hailing from Germany, Kreator takes an already aggressive genre and takes it to its logical extreme, with technical instrumentals and a heavy use of minor-key anger. Yet unlike the "mad" style of some extreme thrash metal bands like Slayer (not that I don't like Slayer), Kreator is not scattered all over the place - their songs are focused, to-the-point headbangers. And on top of all of this are unusually political and intelligent lyrics, even for the thrash metal subgenre.

-Rammstein: Competing with Rage Against the Machine for "most well-known" band on my list, Rammstein is the perfect industrial metal band in an already tiny subgenre. The songs are very rhythmic and machine like - very driving, and always with interesting electronic textures. Though there are heavier bands, I can't think of a band that instills more pure aggression for me than Rammstein. But if one can understand enough German, the lyrics are actually very interesting, sometimes even poetic. Though they can be very vulgar as well.

-Dark Tranquillity: I love melodic death metal, and since I like the subgenre so much, it was difficult for me to choose a favorite band from it. But in the end I settled on Dark Tranquillity. One of the original bands of the subgenre, they are still going strong after their tow pain contemporaries either disbanded (At The Gates) or changed direction noticeably, and in my opinion, for the worse (In Flames). Their songs achieve exactly what melodic death metal sets out to achieve - me very melodic and memorable, and yet interesting, heavy, and driving. Furthermore, they have an amazing ability to make each album sound distinct, and yet also be instantly recognizable as being the work of Dark Tranquillity. All of their songs have a certain feeling to them, a sort of essence. This, combined with their intelligent (often philosophical) lyrics and unusually "futuristic" sounding electronic textures makes them round out my list.

·
Registered
249 Posts

I was first introduced to metal when my brother gave me "Rust in Peace" by Megadeth when I was like 8 years old. I remember thinking it was the coolest shit I ever listened to and I immediately took the CD over to my friends house so that he could hear it lol. Ever since then I have been adamantly following the genre and eventually it lead me into more extreme styles like black and death metal. It lead me into begging my parents to get me a guitar and start playing and making bands with my friends.

I don't have a singular favorite band but my top bands would easily be Death, Emperor, Slayer, Dissection and At The Gates. They are my favorites because they represent to me all that is great about metal in general. Death (R.I.P Chuck Schuldiner) started the death metal genre imo with "Scream Bloody Gore", that album was just absolutely brutal for the time it came out and every album they have made are masterpieces. Emperor, one of the greatest metal bands ever, to me they are the definitive Norwegian black metal band that are in a genre of their own, when it comes to creating atmospheric and haunting black metal they are king. Slayer, Dissection and At The Gates...great bands, great all around musicians (R.I.P Jon Nödtveidt) are just a few bands that I will love and respect till the day I die \m/.

Other great bands worth mentioning: Carcass, Arch Enemy, Cradle of Filth, Ulver, Opera IX, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Bathory, Kreator, Behemoth, Dark Funeral, Megadeth, Nile, Vader and can't forget Immortal

1,237 Posts
For People Who Don't Like Metal:

Why don't you like it?
Strangely enough, I used to love it when I was about 13 or so. I'm not sure whether it was a phase or something that I grew out of (not saying heavy metal's childish or anything), but something about it doesn't appeal to me anymore.

What kind of music do you prefer?
I'm not sure about genres, but bands/artists I like include Joy Division, Bjork, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, The Smiths, The Cure, Radiohead, Massive Attack and, of course, DAVID BOWIE!

Do you have any friends who like it?
Plenty. All my friends have very different music tastes. Also it's good because it means I don't have to lend my iPod to people.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
This would depend on your definition of metal, there are various possibilities so I'll give them all. When I was around 6 I saw the KISS movie and thought it was rather cool, (hey I was like 6!) since I was a serious music buff already by then and the superhero thing of course and combining the 2 ideas such a cool idea for me. Alternately it could be when I grew a set and stopped listening to only what my friends were listening to and heard Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Ratt, etc for the first time and (yes I'm that old) and decided that was what I liked and screw everyone else. Such motivational songs at the time XD I lost a few friends because of that, which is fine I don't wanna hang with prudes anyway. Finally my world changed forever when I found a radio station that played all the kind of stuff on the weekends late at night and got to hear a whole host of new stuff that was harder and heavier. I met this guy on school on my bus who listened to that as well and he told me the coolest concert he had ever been to was Live After Death so the next time I was watching a video show that actually played good music once in a while, I caught a live vid of Maiden's and well, it just went from there. My interests got heavier and heavier and additional favourite bands were in sequence: Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Carcass, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Emperor. Now I listen to lots of different stuff non-metal related as well like hardcore, punk, industrial, Primus, etc. You name it I will give it a chance. Recently I've gotten into stuff like The CNK and Anorexia Nervosa.

1. Maiden
2. Emperor
3. Hypocrisy
4. Dismember
5. Primus

I'm a musician, I like my music with technical ability and substance. Ok so I'm a bit of a musical snoot, so what? :p Fantastic catalogues for all., but if I had one CD and stuck with only one to listen to the rest of my life it would be Live After Death.

Reactions: Valdyr

·
Registered
271 Posts
I love metal, I'll admit that it is not my favorite genre anymore and I don't listen to it very often but I still respect and enjoy it very much. I was introduced to metal a few years back when I was going into 8th grade (I'm going on 11th now) during a family road trip around New England and North Carolina. It caught my attention because it was something new and exciting, something foreign and exotic and whenever I listened to it I felt powerful and adventureous. My first few bands included Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica (you know, the usual) and then quickly grew to include bands like Nightwish, Epica, Kamelot, etc. everytime I plugged in my ipod and listened to metal I found myself imagining a myriad of things ranging from simple feelings and images (mostly those that had rather wintery or enchanted aspects) to full storylines involving myself as a conquerer or adventurer in a fantasy type landscape.

I have three favorite metal bands right now...
1) Electric Wizard: I love these guys because there is such a profound amount of power and intensity in their songs I always end up feeling like a satanic prince or a dastardly emperor after a listen.
2) Type O Negative: I always feel inspired and want to go practice my music after listening to Type O, I enjoy Steele's voice type as I would one day like to have the vocal range to get my voice that low and powerful.
3) Nightwish: for whenever I need to get away from the mundane burdens of everyday life and escape to a realm of unlimited potential and dreams.

I have a great deal of friends who are into metal so many even that it kind of turned me away from the scene with how obsessive and elitist some became over it...

·
Registered
234 Posts

Parents listening to "classic rock" on the radio-half the songs at that time seemed to be off of Metallica's "Black Album," Queensryche's "Empire" and an mix of Seattle grunge. Early '90s was pretty good to my young ears, tastes have evolved since of course. Queensryche's Empire is probably more pop than metal, but they're previous albums and even a few of their post Empire albums all rock.

Favorite bands, hehe....I could rattle off a few hundred, seriously.

Queensryche (First 5 albums)
Vicious Rumors (Welcome to the Ball, Word of Mouth)
Metal Church (First 3 albums)
Savatage (Sirens, Dungeons are Calling, Hall of the Mountain King)
Helstar (Nosferatu, A Distant Thunder)
Imagika (3rd and 4th album)
Iced Earth
Halford, Fight (Everything)
Judas Priest (Everything, except Ripper stuff and Turbo)
Deep Purple (Fireball)
Scorpions (Uli Jon Roth...)
Rainbow (Dio Era)
Black Sabbath (Everything-even dig Tony Martin era)
Iron Maiden (Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind)

There is something subliminal about the playing of Adrian Smith on Somewhere in Time-other than that Iron Maiden album-all these bands have an exceptionally talented vocalist at the helm. IMO of course, lol. Oliva, Albert, Howe, Wayne, and Rivera all were in their prime when they let loose in studio (and live).

Other stuff I listen to:

Bathory
Thyrfing
Finntroll
Emperor
Mastodon
Kylesa (Static Tensions)
High on Fire
Gojira (From Mars to Sirius)
Rammstein

At the moment, Gojira is the band I have been least bored with. They just crush me.

I fell in love recently, so I had to dig back a bit to find some of the gems I once enjoyed, lol. In the past though, either to combat/distract from various forms of chaos in my life-metal has always been the marching beat going on in my head. Where punk flips the world the finger, metal does it in a way that makes you want to crank it, getting above and away.

I have a great deal of friends who are into metal so many even that it kind of turned me away from the scene with how obsessive and elitist some became over it...
The elitist snobbishness sickened me as well-the ever present problem of "posers" who weren't "true" or whatever....who cares?! Also couldn't stand the pack mentality. Everyone where denim jackets w/patches or a leather jacket and look bad ass now. Eh...feck that. Seemed very "un-metal" to me to try to look "metal" and dissect every last thing about why a band/song/album sucked/did not suck. Either turn it up, or not. Strangely....most of this fluff disappeared after leaving high school.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Iron Maiden - lol come on, who doesn't like Maiden? I only really got into it last year, just to see what the hype is all about, and I'm glad I did! Their tracks are just oozing with energy and the catchiness just hooked me in immediately. I saw them live earlier this year and Bruce Dickinson, the frontman, is very enthusiastic and has a very strong stage presence.
Must agree here, Wasted Years is just about the catchiest Maiden song ever, for me.

Ensiferum - I love the incorporation of Celtic-y and Scandinavian folk elements in Viking metal, although it doesn't mean I'll automatically love every band who does this (ahem Finntroll), but Ensiferum is great at it.
Ahaha, got into Finntroll a bit before knowing about Ensiferum. Every time I found someone who knew Finntroll they'd ask if I'd heard of Ensiferum-glad I found 'em. Have you taken a listen to Thyrfing? Viking, black-without much folk-later albums are harder to get into(way better though)-but Valdr Galga has some catchy songs (Storms of Asgard).

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
A few years ago i was seaching online looking up Fear factory (Industrial metal) and came across Disturbed ^^.

My favourite band is Disturbed

I've always hated metal because Slipknot etc sounded really crap to me, but after i found Disturbed they quickly became my favourite band

Some of my favourite songs by them are

Prayer, Intoxication, Inside the fire, Indestructible, Fear, Haunted, The Curse, Decadence, 10,000 fists, The Night, Mistress, Another way to die, Pain Redefined, Old Friend, My Child, The Infection, Violence Fettish, Parasite, Bound and Crucified

Just to name a few ;)

Some other good bands to mention are:

Dreadnaught
Scars of life
Mettallica
Pantera
Fear Factory
Avenged Sevenfold
Dream Theatre
Creed (depending on album)
Breaking Benjamin (They are more Hard Rock though :/)
Children of Bodom
Disarmonia Mundi
Rammstein
Korn
Staind
Static X
System of a Down
Thousand Foot Krutch
Three Days Grace
Decyfer down (Depending on album)
Sonata Arctica

^^

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Ahaha, got into Finntroll a bit before knowing about Ensiferum. Every time I found someone who knew Finntroll they'd ask if I'd heard of Ensiferum-glad I found 'em. Have you taken a listen to Thyrfing? Viking, black-without much folk-later albums are harder to get into(way better though)-but Valdr Galga has some catchy songs (Storms of Asgard).
I haven't heard of it actually, but thanks for recommending the band to me! I'll check it out.

·
Banned
5,815 Posts
Alright, so I've been finding it difficult to come across any heavy metal, post-hardcore, metal-core, etc. fans on here, which is a total bummer considering I am one. Is it because it just seems too violent and loud? I've been pondering that for a while now. I mean, do people think it's too barbaric and unintelligent? I know a lot of intelligent people who love heavy metal! Hmm, what do you guys think?

First "bit" at the age of fourteen, when I would listen to the a special segment on the local rock station that would feature less than mainstream artists, the majority of them extreme metal bands. They would have a listener call-in where you could request specific songs by bands at 11 pm every night for half an hour. At the same time, I would tune in to the Comcast metal channel, sometimes for hours, while cleaning the room, researching, or eating alone. Soon after, I started getting in touch with similar minds via chatrooms, forums, p2p programs, and blogs, as well as dvds and books with the money I had. Concerts helped, too.

Can't say I have a favorite band, and it would be hard enough for me to find a favorite in the specific subgenres I listen to, as there are so many pioneering artists with several A-grade albums out. My external hard drive itself has over 20,000 song files. But since I listen to death metal and enjoy it the most, I'll tell you that Death, Morbid Angel, and Immolation already have permanent spots in my top five roster. It's a tie between the first two, really. Not sure I'll ever be able to make the decision, not without a great deal of listening and reflection beforehand.

The speed, technicality, aggression, and heaviness of the style combined with the diverse set of lyrics and the idiosyncratic philosophy behind them. Not only are they two pioneering bands behind the genre, and in addition to being original, they're also not afraid of trying new things and breaking out of the norm. It's fun comparing their albums, especially watching how they've changed as members have come and go, while others have "matured" and decided to take steps in other directions, and sometimes returning to their old ways, a lot of times fusing multiple influences to try something that hasn't been tried before.

I think a lot of people tend to judge all metal by one or a few bad experiences. In reality, it's one of the most diverse genres of music out there, and I think it has someone for almost everyone. Depressed? Angry? Epic? Wild? Sinister? There's also the fact that a lot of people don't have the patience to get past the "wall of noise", so they never see the beauty behind the chaos. For people who don't know a thing about music or lyrics, and have no patience to understand them, there's little prospect that they'll ever get it. In reality, it's metal fans who are blessed to have stumbled into this world of not just a music genre, but a way of life.

Reactions: LotusBlossom

·
Registered
702 Posts

I received Iron Maiden's Brave New World for my 9th birthday, I have never heard of metal before that, all it took was one listen and I was hooked. Over the next 10 years as I delved deeper into the genre I ended up listening to mostly Atmospheric Black Metal and Progressive Death Metal. Although my love for metal has been almost replaced by Breakcore, "IDM" and Oldschool Hip-hop in the last year. I still listen to it from time to time, but nowhere near as much as I did in the last 10 years, I also started resenting "metalheads" more and more in the last few years, which probably has something to do with it as well. There will always be space for it on my HDD though.

That would be Drudkh, runner-up is The Ruins of Beverast, and then come Death, Nile, Negură Bunget, Atheist, Carcass, Vintersorg, Shining, Deathspell Omega, Wolves in the Throne Room, ...

Because I like them?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts