Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felidire raised a pretty interesting question on my thread (quoted below) concerning the four temperaments. We are both unsure of our personality types, and we were wondering if there is any pattern between a person's second closest temperament and their personality type that might help us validate our own personality type.

Actually, your OP got me thinking...

In my thread, I mentioned how 'The Catalyst' was my best match, and 'The Improviser' was a close second.
In this thread, you mention how 'The Catalyst' is your best match, and 'The Stabilizer' is your second closest?

The Catalyst has: INFJ and INFP.
The Improviser has: ISTP, ISFP, ESTP, ESFP. (All P)
The Stabilizer has: ISTJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ESFJ. (All J)

If other INFJs & INFPs here were to comment on which of the three temperaments they'd consider as their 2nd-best match, then perhaps a pattern may emerge?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ok, going by this thing ... Improviser was a very close 2nd.
(Some people might like Theorist more, and some may feel that they don't match any.)

Stabilizer: The core needs are for group membership and responsibility. They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. They value stability, security, and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms. Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.
Group membership and responsibility... I'm more of a solitary, go-it-alone type, I like to be the leader in a group whenever i'm actually in a group - but I shun responsibility because I find it restricting. (Responsibility acts in compliance to a set of external rules or standards. Do not want!) I'm primarily internal (Fi) in this regard, and i'd much prefer to follow my own rules. I trust my own internal hierarchy and structure, definitely! - but i'm non-conforming, and I'll completely rebel against an external hierarchy or system if it spits in the face of my own values. (For example, I have considered joining the army before, but if I felt that a 'superior' wronged me, I already know that i'd utterly shatter the 'chain of command'. I'm not very tolerant.) I dislike any foreign authority trying to govern my own actions, and i'm not surprised when others go against these social structures because, if anything, i'm probably the one encouraging them to act upon their own freedom.

I dislike 'standards', and I certainly don't like 'norms'! I am partially-oriented with my past experiences, and while I feel that Si does see a fair amount of use within myself, I definitely feel that it's one of my (quite possibly the) least developed of my cognitive functions. I love cooperation, but I don't trust people and I don't feel that I can ever truly rely on anyone. I don't like asking people for help, and that "if I don't want problems, then best to handle things on my own" (which is purely an acquired behavioural trait based on bad past experiences (more Si) which - in the face of adversity - makes my life that much more difficult.)

I am somewhat pragmatic, that's the only part here I really agree with, but for the most part i'm rather idealistic.

Improviser: The core needs are to have the freedom to act without hindrance and to see a marked result from action. People of this temperament highly value aesthetics, whether in nature or art. Their energies are focused on skillful performance, variety, and stimulation. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a focus on technique. They trust their impulses and have a drive to action. They learn best experientially and when they see the relevance of what they are learning to what they are doing. They enjoy hands-on, applied learning with a fast pace and freedom to explore.
Straight off the bat, "Freedom!" - I need a great deal of freedom; to make my own choices; to feeely choose to be alone without others imposing; to express my true self - freedom is what I am. I do like observing the immediate effect/results of my actions, it helps with my lack of ambition/self-motivation. I'm not superficial or anything, but I do have a degree in horticulture and digital art is my hobby. (I also love gemstones and jewellery - in fact, i'm bidding on gems right now so that I can incorporate and make necklaces out of them.) I like variety, flexibility, I consider myself fairly adaptable, versatile and improvisational in almsot any situation. 'Pragmatism' and the aformentioned 'Practical applications' are the exact same thing in my eyes. I value technique, and words can't express just how much I trust my impulses, instinct, intuition, whatever you want to call it; it's absolutely indispensable - if I ever lost it, i'd simply cease to be me.. I do enjoy hands-on work/experience, and while I'm good at theorizing things from my own standpoint (it's imaginitive, it's creative, it's fun!) while taking things in externally (i.e. textbook-theory) is a rather dull, tedious, and overall boring experience for me.. Unless it's a topic that i'm extremely interested in, otherwise it's massive drain of energy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm.. the improviser wins over the others though I don't relate to all of what is described i.e:
"They enjoy hands-on, applied learning with a fast pace and freedom to explore."

And there are aspects of all temperaments that resonate with me, but that goes without saying!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm an INFP, and I would have to say that The Improvisor is definitely my close second. I do not see much value in conforming in order to facilitate stability. I need personal freedom, and I tend to trust my own thoughts, feelings, and intuition far more than I trust what others tell me.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
I'm INFJ, and I would write, when alone: Improviser (creating/my art), when with others: Stabilizer.

Reactions: Aelthwyn and Ycat93

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I'm somewhere in between NF and NT. I really can't relate to either of the other two (SP and SJ)...At least not the way they're described on the Keirsey Temperament site.

I'm cautious, responsible, and serious like an SJ, but the descriptions emphasize them being super hard-working and traditional, which I really can't relate to.

I'm artistic, creative, and realistic like an SP, but I really can't relate to their adventurousness and focus on the physical world.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm pretty sure I mentioned my temperament in your other thread but for the sake of keeping them together and to go into further detail:

Type: Not certain but going with INFP
Temperaments in order:
1)Catalyst: just fits
2)Stabilizer: I'm cautious and tend to follow rules (though I question them) I also dislike change (though I constantly try to figure out how to improve things) One of my philosophies is "If its worth doing, its worth doing right" though I don't get around to doing much that I plan to do and I get discouraged if my progress doesn't meet my expectations
3)Theorist: Highly valued in my family practicality and efficiency are important. I'm not that great at either on my own but I see their uses when trying to get the most out of thoughts and actions
4)Improviser: I'm not very stimuli/pleasure oriented and am not dynamic/action oriented. though I am quite concerned about aesthetics

Reactions: Aelthwyn and Ycat93
1 - 13 of 13 Posts