Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus
[] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone
[] Someone challenging/mocking your views
[] Meeting your inlaws for the first time
[] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh
[] Being introduced to your friends friends
[] Introducing yourself to someone you would like to be friends with
[] Asking someone out
[] Telling someone you are attracted to them
[] Striking up a conversation with a stranger
[] Confronting someone you don't like
[] Disciplining your kids/babysitting clients
[] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you

Hmm, I'm out of ideas. Fill in the boxes, and suggest others if you have them, and we'll add them to the list as the thread goes on. Discuss discuss discuss!

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Telling someone that they hurt/upset me
Telling someone something about myself that I'm ashamed of or dislike
Having to ask a really dumb question

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Nervous, hum i can't think of many things that make me nervous

Driving in cities i'm not familiar with
Walking on the edge of a cliff
Scuba diving
Dentist
Physical ( with a hot sexy Dr, i die inside )

Shy. I'm a weird kind of shy. I get shy at the oddest times. I don't like being in the spotlight, so if i'm forced i get shy. I can be having a great time laughing and having fun, yet the minute i realize the attention is my direction, i want to escape/exit, mostly when people make a point of pointing out something. Giving me praises ....wait...maybe i'm describing uncomfortable, so being uncomfortable makes me really shy . I can't give really good examples of when i'm shy so i'll go back to the Physical with a gorgeous Dr, i die a slow death inside. I can't breathe or look at him in the face. I feel my face is purple. I can't talk, i just want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses and pretend he can't see me naked. I try and find the oldest Dr. i can, either that or female, although those options aren't always available. I usually end up with the ones right out of University...Gah, kill me now please ;-)

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
[] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus - No, I actually love interacting with strangers.

[X] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone - this one depends what sort of club or organization it is. ^^

[] Someone challenging/mocking your views - This actually doesn't make me nervous but can make me feel hurt or misunderstood.

[] Meeting your inlaws for the first time - I honestly have no idea...

[X] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh - Ouch is all I have to say.

[] Being introduced to your friends friends - Eh, it depends.

[X] Asking someone out - I would assume so. Never tried it.

[X] Telling someone you are attracted to them - Oh yes. O___O

[] Striking up a conversation with a stranger - This is so fun! It's actually kind of easy for me. :)

[] Confronting someone you don't like - Not particularly.

[X] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you - Taking the lead? *shivers*

-----------------

Here's some killers for me, though:

Ordering at a restaurant. Especially a fast food restaurant. I become an awkward idiot.

and

Going to the doctor's/being on the phone arranging an appointment/anything to do with doctors. I will seriously start to sweat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Talking to my crush is pretty much one of the best ways to make me fry all my brain circuits.

And presenting in front of a large crowd / an important person.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@MuChApArAdOx I was thinking more about interactions with other people, but yeah, I enjoyed what you had to say :) I fully agree about the doctor thing, I had to strip for something, and there was this hot medical student there, who wouldn't have been more than two years older than me and I was like ''curtain please!''. The only young hot guy who is gonna see me naked is my future husband! Haha. (and hopefully I won't feel embarrassed about stripping off at that stage!). I feel awkward getting attractive female doctors as well, because they probably look a lot better than me naked, I would rather have an older frumpier, mumsy type doctor, or an old male doctor checking things out for me.

I don't like being forced into the spotlight either, I only like to be in the spotlight when I choose to be there.

@pinkoctopus omg, that picture is perfect!!! Sheldon <3 <3 <3

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
@MuChApArAdOx I was thinking more about interactions with other people, but yeah, I enjoyed what you had to say :) I fully agree about the doctor thing, I had to strip for something, and there was this hot medical student there, who wouldn't have been more than two years older than me and I was like ''curtain please!''. The only young hot guy who is gonna see me naked is my future husband! Haha. (and hopefully I won't feel embarrassed about stripping off at that stage!). I feel awkward getting attractive female doctors as well, because they probably look a lot better than me naked, I would rather have an older frumpier, mumsy type doctor, or an old male doctor checking things out for me.

I don't like being forced into the spotlight either, I only like to be in the spotlight when I choose to be there.

@pinkoctopus omg, that picture is perfect!!! Sheldon <3 <3 <3
I never get nervous interacting with people, never. I can walk into a room of 1000 strangers and talk to everyone in the room. The only time i get shy with other people is in circumstances like i explained. Uncomfortable with spotlight praises that aren't necessary.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@MuChApArAdOx Oh ok. Can I mention that I always feel honoured when you stop by my threads? Because it never used to happen, lol. I was hoping you'd be the next person to reply! Now that thats out of the way...

I hate being given praise I don't deserve, or people saying I have gotten so confident and grown so much since I've met them etc... umm no- I haven't changed, you just didn't know me that well, I'm always kind of shy and on edge around people I don't know. If I can't relate to a new friend that well, it takes me a while to learn *how* to act around them, or what parts of myself I can show, and what parts I need to conceal.

I think my outgoingness/confidence levels have been the same since I was about 17 (so about 6 years now), but they leak out at random times... most of the times I'm not super hyperactive/outgoing, I'm just laidback or a little self conscious.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
@MuChApArAdOx Oh ok. Can I mention that I always feel honoured when you stop by my threads? Because it never used to happen, lol. I was hoping you'd be the next person to reply! Now that thats out of the way...

I hate being given praise I don't deserve, or people saying I have gotten so confident and grown so much since I've met them etc... umm no- I haven't changed, you just didn't know me that well, I'm always kind of shy and on edge around people I don't know. If I can't relate to a new friend that well, it takes me a while to learn *how* to act around them, or what parts of myself I can show, and what parts I need to conceal.

I think my outgoingness/confidence levels have been the same since I was about 17 (so about 6 years now), but they leak out at random times... most of the times I'm not super hyperactive/outgoing, I'm just laidback or a little self conscious.
You know the video you posted made me want to have an accent like you. Oh how i loved that accent. I have a bit of a French accent growing up in a French community, although when i hear the New Zealand one, i want it NOW..heh.

Confidence levels go up and down for most people, so you're not alone here. We have days when we feel great about ourselves, and days we don't. It's o.k to be a bit self conscious too, that probably relates back to your shyness. Yeah me too, i'm very laid back and chill. I used to have lots of energy back in the day of parties, university and lots of social activity. Not these days. I love to have smaller gatherings, spend time with family and close friends. Every now and again i will get energized like a 19yr. old and go out with the girls. I'm usually so tired by the end of the week i just want to do something really low keyed. Been to the movies the past few weekends, that's my kind of social activity ;-) Lots of social interaction this summer thou, then hibernate for the winter again ;)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know the video you posted made me want to have an accent like you. Oh how i loved that accent. I have a bit of a French accent growing up in a French community, although when i hear the New Zealand one, i want it NOW..heh.
Aww, you're so cute! I'm not sure if my accent is necessarily a NZ one (as strange as that statement sounds)- up until I age of 17, I had a problem pronouncing words, and I had to have speech lessons. I'm not sure how well I speak now, but I often get told that I speak too quickly, or my voice is too soft and I can't be heard. Also, when I was young, people thought I was British because I spoke in a very ''proper'' way. Its kind of funny.

There are four or five regional accents in New Zealand, then there's the influence of the Maori and the Cook Islands, and you get a wide range of voices and accents. If I'm honest, some NZ accents really irritate me.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Aww, you're so cute! I'm not sure if my accent is necessarily a NZ one (as strange as that statement sounds)- up until I age of 17, I had a problem pronouncing words, and I had to have speech lessons. I'm not sure how well I speak now, but I often get told that I speak too quickly, or my voice is too soft and I can't be heard. Also, when I was young, people thought I was British because I spoke in a very ''proper'' way. Its kind of funny.

There are four or five regional accents in New Zealand, then there's the influence of the Maori and the Cook Islands, and you get a wide range of voices and accents. If I'm honest, some NZ accents really irritate me.
I love all accents, well mostly all ;) When i met my husband and heard his German accent, i near fainted. Whenever he would talk with me, honestly, i never heard 1 word he said. I used to feel like a complete knob, especially if he would say " So what to you think about that " DUH, WHAT, sorry , i can't get passed that sexy accent to really comprehend a word you just said. It wore off after about 5 years..ahah!! Seriously thought, accents are cute regardless of who is talking.

And yes, i could pick up the British part of that accent too.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@MuChApArAdOx Haha, that makes me laugh, I know someone that is German, and I do not like her accent at all. I used to be a sucker for the typical accents (Irish, Scottish, English etc), but now I don't really care. Maybe it depends on the individual person I come across. I like deep manly voices. Haha.

Its embarrassing when your trying to talk to someone but you find them really attractive, so you kind of just stare at them, daydreaming about them, then its your turn to contribute to the conversation and you have nothing to say. I am no stranger to that, lol.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
[] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus
--- No.

[] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone
--- No

[] Someone challenging/mocking your views
--- Definitely not. I get charged up and enter full on debate mode.

[] Meeting your inlaws for the first time
--- Not the first time around. Dunno about this relationship. Haven't thought about it. But yeah, a little bit because it's an inter-racial relationship.

[] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh
--- If it's something that's done behind my back and I find out about it - it hurts initially, but I can rationalize it away easily. In person, it depends on how it's done in front of me and who's doing it. I had trouble with this as a child between 10-14 years of age. After that, I went from strength to strength and never gave anyone a chance to do so. When they do, I always find a way to mock right back and deflect the attention away from myself. It's easy.

[] Being introduced to your friends friends
--- Definitely not.

--- Yes. A lot.

[] Asking someone out
--- Never asked anyone out. I've only been asked.

[] Telling someone you are attracted to them
--- Never done it first. I've always looked for the other person to do so first and then I express it.

[] Striking up a conversation with a stranger
--- Very, very easy.

[] Confronting someone you don't like
--- Only till I've been backed into a corner. Then I bite back like a cornered animal ... and it isn't pretty. I can go from nice to viciously sarcastic to almost sadistic.

--- Will never do it.

[] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you
--- Comes absolutely naturally. When I talk .. people listen.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Jawz, you're an ENFJ (like my dad), I wouldn't have thought you guys were considered Introverted Extroverts as well? He always seems confident with whatever he has to do. With the first few questions you answered, it sounded like confidence wasn't a problem at all.

Thank you for your input, I found it interesting :-D

·
Registered
709 Posts
[] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus - sometimes, but not usually

[x] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone - I like going to things with people I know... not knowing anyone is as frightening as it is exciting :blushed:

[] Someone challenging/mocking your views - No, I usually just get rilde up, heh...

[x] Meeting your inlaws for the first time - ...nuff said

[X] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh - :unsure:

[] Being introduced to your friends friends - MORE FRIENDS! :D

[] Introducing yourself to someone you would like to be friends with - :proud:

[X] Asking someone out - Fear of rejection? Yup...

[] Telling someone you are attracted to them - Depends...

[] Striking up a conversation with a stranger - :)

[] Confronting someone you don't like - *smacks the hater... with kindness

[x] Disciplining your kids/babysitting clients - Do. Not. Like. Conflict.

[] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you - I LOVE taking leadership roles, especially when no one else will:tongue:

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
@MuChApArAdOx Haha, that makes me laugh, I know someone that is German, and I do not like her accent at all. I used to be a sucker for the typical accents (Irish, Scottish, English etc), but now I don't really care. Maybe it depends on the individual person I come across. I like deep manly voices. Haha.

Its embarrassing when your trying to talk to someone but you find them really attractive, so you kind of just stare at them, daydreaming about them, then its your turn to contribute to the conversation and you have nothing to say. I am no stranger to that, lol.
hah, yes me too. It was a mixer of the accent and good looks that make me a complete babbling idiot. See it can go both ways, either i clammed up and stared at him like a deer in headlights, or i babbled like there was no tomorrow. Either way he thought it was cute, and still teases me today when we talk about the first dates we had.....

Yes, i know what you mean about some accents. I like a deep voice too, so if that happens to have an accent attached to it, perfect ;)...i'm not fussy for British, mostly because i can't understand what they are saying ; D...irish, nope, not even fussy for an american accent, depending on what state they live in. Boston, i dig, its cute. Anything to thick , nah , not my thang ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ex-Girlfriend, who I am still friends with, overtly kicks my feelings/confidence in the balls.
When I am wrong.
When I have nothing left to say due to some emotional calamity the day before that I reflect on for
weeks.

I am a REAL ENFP

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
[X] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus
[X] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone
[N/A] Someone challenging/mocking your views
[N/A] Meeting your inlaws for the first time
[N/A] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh
[X] Being introduced to your friends friends
[X] Introducing yourself to someone you would like to be friends with
[X] Asking someone out
[X] Telling someone you are attracted to them
[X] Striking up a conversation with a stranger
[X] Confronting someone you don't like
[N/A] Disciplining your kids/babysitting clients
[X] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you

I have anxiety in general. Some of these things I would consider more embarrassing or regretful. I tend to think some things Are a cool idea at the time, then it becomes awkward and later I think 'Why did I do that, I feel stupid.'

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
[-] Asking to sit next to a stranger on the bus
[-] Joining a new club/organisation/school/church etc where you don't know anyone
[X] Someone challenging/mocking your views - I might revert to my social shell for awhile if you do this.
[-] Meeting your inlaws for the first time
[X] Having people openly mock you, while others look on and laugh - See above, or I'll come with a smart-aleck retort and you'll be sorry.
[-] Being introduced to your friends friends
[-] Introducing yourself to someone you would like to be friends with
[X] Asking someone out
[X] Telling someone you are attracted to them - getting in relationships is something that still makes me anxious. Not only that, the track record of luck has been awful.
[X] Striking up a conversation with a stranger
[-] Confronting someone you don't like - much easier than confronting people I do like.
[-] Disciplining your kids/babysitting clients
[-] Taking on a leadership role, and getting people to actually listen to you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts