Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have some questions for you 5s who are artists.

1. What's your wing and how sure are you of being a 5? If you know, what's your instinctual stacking and your tritype.

2. How do you express yourself? (painting, writing, poetry, songs-making, movie-making, other?...)

3. Does self-expression come easy for you?

4. What do you try to do with your art?

5. What's the message behind your work?

6. Which are your main inspirations?

Reactions: Ne Plus Ultra

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
1. What's your wing and how sure are you of being a 5? If you know, what's your instinctual stacking and your tritype.
4W, yes sure, sp/sx, 541

2. How do you express yourself? (painting, writing, poetry, songs-making, movie-making, other?...)
Fiction writing, metalwork, textiles, magick

Knowing what I want to express comes easy to me as does identifying my aesthetic. Expressing it in actual work though is the issue. Nothing I produce ever really lives up to my vision for it.

I try to express the dark nature of life. But not the purely dark nature that most would identify as being evil incarnate. The shadows that we all possess is what I want to make real and illustrate in a way that is both lamentable and yet endearing.

That humanity is a broken unit. We might strive for enlightenment, perfection or whatever but ultimately we are both heaven and hell in the one package and perhaps the hellish parts are something to be viewed, expressed in non-harmful ways, acknowledged rather than suppressed. There is beauty in pain and life is riddled with pain. Bittersweetness is the essence of life.

Metalwork - Lalique & Jensen
Textiles - Historical fashion and costuming
Writing - Gaiman & Moorcock
Magick - The faerie realms, I have no human mentor there.

·
Registered
67 Posts

5w6. 100% certain I am a 5. Sp/Sx. 5w6 - 1w9 - 3w4

I mostly create digital art (see avatar). Occasionally, I will produce music.

No. I take long sabbaticals between the making of each piece.

Sell it or share it.

No message. I just want it to look good.

Other artists.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

5w4-9w1-2w1 sx/sp I'm pretty certain of being a five, 90%

writing (sometimes poetry), collage making, painting

3. Does self-expression come easy for you?​

Yes and no. It's easier for me via writing. Other types of art I make aren't so personal to me. A lot of my work is spontaneous. It just comes out naturally in creative flow. In hindsight I can better understand the motives behind the creations. I largely express more universal states and feelings in an abstract way rather than getting too into a personal narrative.

Not much. It's more cathartic for me. It's a way of mind stretching as well. I like experimenting with things I find to be tricky, playing with shapes, colours, and perspectives. It becomes a bit like a puzzle for me.

If anything, an expression of the inexpressible(?) I'd like to reveal or describe the unconscious. Sometimes my creations are just nihilistic absurdity though, haha. A disconnected chaotic kind of ugly nonsense.

If I have any, I'm not aware of them. I try to maintain some natural purity in what I do by working directly from my imagination. I don't ever aim for doing what another artist has already done.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
1. Almost 100% sure I am a 5, only because I haven't looked into enneagram as much as I have with MBTI.
5w4 2w1 9w1 sp/sx/so

I mostly do it by Photographs - either online through something like tumblr, or decorating using magazine/photograph cut outs. When drawing/painting I sometimes combine it with pictures. I express my interests, and I am not too fond of expressing myself personallyf:) Although in writing I do express my own views or thoughts.

...No I don't think so, not with myself. But if I have an interesting idea and then I will just do it.

Sometimes I share my art to gather some feedback, but Im always trying to improve.

Usually there is not a message, it is just something I made up or observed. If it is a character then I try to portray their personality, and sometimes add a personal touch to it. But lately I have become very interested in incorporating a hidden concept behind the drawing/painting/photograph that conveys a current event and or more of a meaning, either from my own experience or a broader issue.

I used to draw something purely from imagination, something slightly mythical I think. Now I draw or paint as a study of a subject. Other artists can be an inspiration too, but I tend to do better when I have my own idea and can stay open minded, without getting distracted by noticing what other artists are doing. My inspiration is whatever interests me:)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

5w4.

How do you express yourself? (painting, writing, poetry, songs-making, movie-making, other?...)

I try to maintain total consistency with art, creating and revising every day. I do street photography and drawing and filming, but mostly, I write. I don't depend on a particular form because I go through phases. These phases are contingent on energy, interest (what am I currently learning about, what is affecting me the most, how obsessed am I with a specific topic, what techniques am I bored with in expressing my ideas), mood, time, and so on.

If I just spent the last year writing a novel, revising it for six months after that, then I need to take a break and engage with a different form, such as a series of poems. But most of the form reveals itself after I start writing. I might not know I'm writing a science fiction story until the characters start speaking to each other, until the environment starts affecting them.

It all starts with intuition first, writing an inkling of an idea from the unconscious. That idea builds momentum until it becomes more complex, evolving in structure. As it changes shape, connections build, relationships strengthen. The underlying structure reinforces itself under pressures. The form layers from a simple idea.

Starting is the hardest part. After that, I sink deeply into myself. Nothing else exists around me.

Art is a way for my unconscious to explode meaning in symbolic form. It's a process of bringing all my thoughts, feelings, hidden desires, moods, fears, and so on, into some coherent shape. Everything stirring within me from years before to the present time is released. And the more I try to decipher the connections that arise, the more I grow. Not to mention, it's extremely joyful to lose myself in something completely new, not exactly knowing what will happen with the work. As long as I'm completely honest, messages arise of their own accord. It might have to do with love or sex or violence or technology or whatever. It isn't really forced. I try to stay organic in my process.

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
312 Posts
100% certain of being a 5. I'm leaning towards w4 now, previously went with w6, and before that w4. Sp/sx and 514.

Drawing and writing comics mainly, novel writing and painting less frequently, and songwriting most rarely.

I wish. The exceptions would be songwriting, which only happens spontaneously (I haven't written a song in almost two years).

It's mainly for myself. I do share it if others are interested, but ultimately it's for myself. I like to go back and analyze old work, it's like an easier way of viewing my subconscious.

I've never consciously put messages in my work, but at the same time, writing is difficult until a message falls in place. I've picked up on recurring themes of isolation, alienation, being controlled, thwarted romances or missed connections, and nihilism.

Music--I use music a lot in the writing process and build soundtracks for my stories.
Mythology
Recent scientific discoveries
Art Nouveau, the Symbolists, and the Surrealists
Ukiyo-e
Storytellers: Margaret Atwood, Ai Yazawa, Steven Moffat

·
Banned
156 Posts

5w4 very sure, don't need to think about it. either sx/so or sx/sp, I forgot and haven't read up on it in awhile. 5w4, 1w9, 4w5

I like working with my hands, it's something that gives me life. Used to draw. I also like repairing things. The most consistent thing I do is write. I have various journals for various things. Depending on what I'm going through I can have a hint poetic language which is humorous to read over. I also like a lot of black and white clothes and suits. I like making bookmarks and cards, and I'd really like to handcraft a mini album if I could find the binding I want to use.

Yes and no. Even if I know what I feel, sometimes it's difficult to put into words. It depends

what does this mean? Bring it to life for all I know

I like being a creator. I hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it

Religion/spirituality, the feeling of NEEDING something to come out of me, certain objects, people, seasons, etc, depends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. What's your wing and how sure are you of being a 5? If you know, what's your instinctual stacking and your tritype?
Heavy 4 wing; I am unequivocally a 5. I am SX first, and likely SP last. My guess for tritype is 549.

I have multidisciplinary proficiency in visual communications utilizing traditional and digital mediums such as drawing, painting, animation, film, graphic design, copywriting, and presentation.

I rarely express myself. My artistic talents are mobilized for the purpose of communicating another's message to an audience. If I am trying to express myself, I find that I spend an inordinate amount of time considering what message I want to communicate and why I want it to be heard. Spontaneous and visceral techniques of creating abstract art can be more therapeutic in this regard and bypass thought and reason.

I want to make the world more beautiful. However, beauty can be found in many things. Truth is beautiful, as are mathematical equations and geometric relationships; so too are empathy, kindness, and strength. Self-sacrifice, redemption, and self-transcendence are achingly beautiful. I don't know how I will achieve my goals with art, but as long as my hands and brain are capable, I will not stop trying to find out how.

I do not contribute the message. I take a given message, and distill it down into base meanings and find connecting threads of possibilities. I contribute the means by which the concept behind the message takes physical, aesthetic, and semantic form. It is in this process that a part of myself is put into the work being created.

Life

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. What's your wing and how sure are you of being a 5? If you know, what's your instinctual stacking and your tritype?
Ok, so i'm a fairly unusual 5 because i'm an Extrovert (more of an ambivert, though), but i'll respond anyway. I'm about 90% sure of being a 5w4. My tritype is probably 592.

Well, i draw (digital and traditional art), create comics, do handicrafts occasionally and write poems. Sometimes i try to write my own songs because i'm a guitar player, but they end up sounding ridiculous.....movie-making is also something that i do sometimes, but i really can't say that i'm particularly good at creating videos.

This is a tricky question! I am bad at expressing myself, but doing it through art is pretty easy for me. In real life (talking to others, including close friends) it's extremely hard for me. Finding the right words is just seems to be impossible...I've got no problems with everyday stuff, random conversations etc. but i could never talk about my deeper thoughts and feelings.

I've been creating art for my entire life now and it doesn't really have any reason. i just feel like it. Usually I try to criticise things through art and present my ideas and observations (always trying to make my art seem fun and less serious, but they always end up being macabre). I want to make the world a better place through art.

It depends. But, as i've said, i like to bring up topics that i wouldn't discuss with others casually. So it really does help me.

Everything! Anything could be my inspiration. But music is always helpful.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm not an artist in the proper sense, but I do have the heart of an artist and I'm quite expressive (mostly through writing).

I'm more than half-way sure that I'm a 5w4. I'm a 5w4-4w5-9w8 sx/sp.

Writing (stream-of-consciousness, essays, and some really crappy poetry).

In writing, yes.

I try to present different ways at looking at the world. I want to destroy and create through my content. I want deconstruct and destroys meanings and codes that are thought of as universal, eternal, and intrinsic. I want to bring onto the surface what people take for granted. I like to explore darker and more subversive themes.

Similar to what I said in the previous question. Essentially, I hope to get across that it's okay to not be palatable or even relatable to everyone. Find and express or own truth.

Some people in my life
Music
Philosophy
When it comes to artwork I especially like the art of Joel Peter-Witkin, David Nebreda, Takato Yamamoto, Suehiro Maruo, Hiroaki Samura, the Vienna Actionists, and baroque art.

·
Registered
135 Posts

5w4, sp/sx, probable tritype of 5w4 4w3 1w9. I'm 96% certain of my core type and dominant instinct. Not as confident in the other stuff.

Fiction, poetry, song-writing. Have considered learning to draw so that I may illustrate my own novels and then branch into graphic novels.

Creativity is easy for me. Doing the actual work is less so, but my mind is brimming with concepts and premises and plans of attack. I like to have prompts. When I used to haunt chatrooms, I'd ask for people to give me a random word or idea, then I'd write a song about it and post the link to the chat. What sort of story would benefit from the second person perspective? I see techniques and topics as a way to experiment. I like testing myself.

I have text files full of ideas and snippets for stories, settings, plots, characters, poems, etc. It can take a long while before the concept becomes workable. For example, I've been planning a novel for over a year but had some trouble with the setting. I couldn't tell if it was a secondary world or an alternate history. Each setting would entail a different approach to research and world-building. Several months in, I realized exactly what the setting was and how it fits with themes of the novel. I've worked out many of the details. All that's left is to write the damn thing, but I'm scared that I can't do it. I keep putting off the actual work. Sigh.

Self-expression isn't easy for me. Channeling my own experiences and emotions into art or writing in an autobiographical mode, those things don't come easy to me. I don't intentionally put myself into the work. That's not to say personal feelings and my worldview don't pervade all that I do, but it's more like a byproduct of creation rather than the purpose for doing it. This is one of the many things that led me away from typing as a Four. My work is about the ideas I have.

I try to explore ideas using the medium as a proving ground. Whatever is confounding me, I try to resolve it through story. I've compared my characters to lab rats. They're not just test subjects, of course. There is more to it than that. Still, they help me see how things can be. I'm not fond of hypothetical questions because I usually don't have enough information, or the right kind of information, to make judgments. As an author, I get to know all the contributing factors and nuances that shape scenario. It's fun to have that kind of bird's-eye-view and the ability to alter anything to suit my purposes and help answer my questions. I'm not sure I get an answer that can be articulated, exactly; it's more like the work itself is my answer and my question. They're not separable, so it isn't a true answer.

I like for something to be askew. This is probably why I avoid realist storytelling. I want mystery and awe. I want the setting or the characters' psyches to be jarring. I want to disturb people so they're uncomfortable with what they'd previously accepted. I want to make readers look twice at a thing and become aware of what could be hidden within it.

When it comes to music and visual art, I just want to evoke an atmosphere. I like for it to be somewhere between familiar and unfamiliar. Not cliché but not unrecognizable, either. There's usually disaster, destruction, and ruin. The relationship songs I've written are murder ballads. I don't write lyrics from my own perspective. Rather, I try to sink myself and the listener into another perspective. It's a kind of dream world. Or nightmare world, I suppose. Knowing that others understand what the work is about makes me giddy. When people really get the mood, the sense of place, or the state of mind the piece conveys, I feel like a wizard. There's little chance that I can succinctly explain my thoughts, so drawing similar thoughts from a reader's or listener's own well of images and feelings is the best I can do.

What's become apparent over the years is how much my work originates in my fears and anxieties. If something fills me with dread, it's probably going to end up in a story. I'm terrified that I'm bad at being a person, and that some mundane, minute action of mine will result in terrible consequences. I feel like every fork in the road possibly leads to calamity, and there's no way for me to see which choices lead to regret. This is reflected in the stories I tell. Many of my characters are fated to die or experience tragedies of their own making. Culpability is a major theme, I guess.

There isn't one. At least, there isn't a conscious, all-encompassing theme or message. If I had to pick something, I guess the general message is that people are fucked up.

Everything interesting. Music, folklore & mythology, fairy tales, folk songs, urban legends, ghost stories, random trivia, history, language, abnormal psychology, sociology, speculative fiction, anime, light and shadow, the sound of the wind, the weather, maps, and sometimes the news. I love works by Robert W. Chambers, Angela Carter, Edward Gorey, Alfred Kubin, Francisco Goya, Gustave Doré, Albert Pinkham Ryder, John Atkinson Grimshaw, Martha Casanave, and Michael Garlington. As a kid, I adored Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, H.G. Wells, and Ambrose Bierce. I obsessed over paranormal "nonfiction," Ripley's Believe It or Not comics, and the Guinness Book of World Records. I think some of that stuck with me and still informs my aesthetic.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm very sure I'm a type 5, 5w4 or 5w6 depending on how my mood is, when I'm in a good place I'm a 5w4 and when I'm in a bad place i'm a 5w6.
Instinctual is SP/SO
Tritype: 5-4-1

I draw/edit photos. I used to try writing/poetry but I was never any good.

No. It's really hard.

Self satisfaction

It's a distraction from my reality

6. Which are your main inspiration
I like scrolling through fonts or looking at pictures and stuff

·
Registered
484 Posts
5w4 and I'm about 99% sure I'm a 5 now and not a 4 as I previously thought.
My tritype is 5w4, 9w1, 3w2. I think I might be sp/so but I'm not completely sure yet. Haven't looked into it as much yet.

Writing; fiction. Mostly short stories for now but I'm working on a novel. Hopefully I won't lose interest. Used to be drawing but I lost interest. I've become a huge bookworm throughout the last 7 years so.

I think so. I try to record how I feel when I'm feeling strong emotions. I'm better at expressing myself through writing than through verbal communication. But once I can get my thoughts in order, I feel like I can get a good hang of what I'm feeling and letting it out.

I usually try to create allegories of historical events or personal events. They usual deal with darker themes such as existentialism and nihilism. I enjoy adding elements of psychological thrillers into my work as well.

Usually, it seeks to find meaning regardless of how dire a situation or environment might be. I guess redemption would be a better word for it. Redemption and reinventing oneself; an entity that's separate from the binaries of society.
My life: alienation and isolation periods. Past relationships. Thrillers. Noir Fiction. Albert Camus. Sartre. Psychological thrillers. Criminology. American Beauty (loved this film so much). Gone Girl.

·
Registered
434 Posts
1) 5w4, sx/sp (about 100% sure)

2) fractal art (abstract digital art)

3) self-expression through art, you mean? I have difficulty with expressing my thoughts in exact words, but I enjoy and successfully express myself through imagery

4) I am sort of compulsive artist, art is a form of therapy for me. I create when I have this vague feeling of impending doom (not always, though, sometimes I do it just for the sheer enjoyment of creating something beautiful). I also do fractal art for living, so sometimes I create stuff to make money. I do differentiate when I do artworks for money and when I create for myself, the difference is mainly in the creation process and my state of mind during that but outcomes from both of these approaches may earn me some money, so for outsiders it may be difficult to draw the exact line between these two.

5) Most of my artworks are loaded with emotions, sometimes I try to express some concept but I prefer my fans to pick their own reading of the image

6) Emotions, dreams, sometimes music

·
Registered
752 Posts

1. What's your wing and how sure are you of being a 5? If you know, what's your instinctual stacking and your tritype. "It is most likely, 5w4 sx/sp/so other than that not super sure just being honest for the time being. I think I know where these questions are heading though...."

2. How do you express yourself? (painting, writing, poetry, songs-making, movie-making, other?...) The first five essentially, but my main focus is as a hyper-realistic draftsmen. <- ( Have fun objectively debunking that lol )

Why does this matter to be a 5? By asking this essentially you're going to make un-falsifiable statements through indirect consequence, if I answer this. So for what I can deduce you're intentions are here, no this is 'not' necessarily a true statement. That is my answer.

4. What do you try to do with your art? Enjoy it, this is another question just like the third one..

5. What's the message behind your work? To enjoy making art if you enjoy making art. This still correlates to what I'm deducing is your intention to try a straw-man "artists" out of being fives.

6. Which are your main inspirations? The urge I have to recreate a visual representation in 2d in now way effects e-5 regardless how it's answered.
Not trying to be an asshole, but just simply intending to say that these are the types of questions that will end up being very confusing for some people. And, that you are alienating an entire group of people "artists" because they don't fit un-falsifiable stereotypes that's morally bankrupted logically and emotionally through deduction of social norms and assumed truths in rationalistic logic. Any MBTI type can be associated with any Enneagram, so if you really truly don't believe that to be a true statement then ignore everything I just said completely, as we don't have a point in moving forward if you're literally valuing opinions over fact in the matter of truth.

·
Registered
347 Posts
5w4 4w5 9w1 sp/sx (97.5% sure)

Mostly music. Writing. A little doodling here in there. Any moment and activity can be made artistic.

Yes and No. It's easy to pick up a guitar and start singing things, but to really express what I want can be difficult at times. It's gotten a lot easier over the years.

This is a good question. I feel like I try to do less and less with it.

There might be multiple messages. There might be none. The point is to 'be'.

Lots of things. Life in general.

·
Banned
146 Posts

5w4 sx/so. Tritype 584.
Very sure.

Comic books, painting, song composition.

Unfortunately no. Either I'm denying myself time for "fun" to improve in some way, or the emotions start to get in between me and my art. If it's strong, I tend to ditch the idea of "self-expression."

Make it mine. Expressing something normal in an different manner. Showing the contrasts in our thinking patterns using themes or colours. Lastly, to share some kind of.. wisdom or insight.

Theres always a message. People tend to find different meanings in different art pieces, all I want to do is give it to them, for them to decipher and whatsoever. Art is subjective so It only really means something to me and that is usually personal.

I don't see myself as inspired.. I see it as desperation. Balance. It helps, emotionally, at times.

·
Registered
54 Posts

5 with w6, I am sure because I am. Identified by myself and by others. Sx/so.

I do medical paintings and illustrations.

I don't see it as self-expression rather than an invention, a visual construct or concept.

I want to communicate concepts, at best it educates.

Fascination of the human body.

Several medical illustrators, historic and current science, the human body. I will be a MD. soon (in europe) and illustrating is a way for me to think about concepts which interest me.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

I'm very confident that I'm a 5 and fairly sure I'm 5w4 even though I can also relate to 5w6. My instinctual stacking is sx/sp/so and MBTI INTP.

Mainly photography, but also printmaking and mixed media.

Making art comes easy for me, but I don't know about self-expression. I tend to prefer art that is less personal even though personal themes always pop up.

Make a living from it :tongue: I'm mainly concerned with environmental issues, but I also enjoy working with imagery that feels "cool" to me.

It depends, but like I said above, environmental issues are there.

Interesting atmosphere in certain places, biology, anything really.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts