Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says , is it possible that in the early years you've developed a personality. But suddenly "one major event" triggers you to "migrate" to a certain point? During the migration you can feel that you're not living the life in your own way , but don't know the reason why. This could go on for several years until you figure out that this event has caused you to act in those ways. Since you realized this, you woke up,
and you can "migrate" back to the point where you really should be , you are now happier that not only you are and can act like 'yourself' again, but you can unleash your potential to make the best of who you are as well.

Is it possible and can you relate you this situation?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I'd state the turning point for anyone is about 4yrds of age.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd state the turning point for anyone is about 4yrds of age.
Interesting, do you have a source of information where I can look up?

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
As I understand it, Enneagram is something that changes over time anyway. (please correct me if I'm wrong I hardly know anything about it). Seems normal to develop a type at one point in your life and shift as you have experiences throughout your life right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understand it, Enneagram is something that changes over time anyway. (please correct me if I'm wrong I hardly know anything about it). Seems normal to develop a type at one point in your life and shift as you have experiences throughout your life right?
I still haven't found an adequate information to conclude that Enneagram can change over time or not. As well as in MBTI types , I haven't found the study that collects people's personalities from time to time (That'd be a really hard research to do) But as I understand it, Enneagram changes over time as we humans have to adapt to the situation in order to survive in certain circumstances. But from time to time, we might 'go back' to our little child self that stays the same.

Well I'm trying to find if there is some correlation between Enneagram theory and the theory about time.

That theory, as I understand it , explains that time goes shorter when we're older. To illustrate; One day for a 2 year old may seem as long as several months for 60 years old. That means the 'time' we've spent on earth to experience ourselves has been spent a lot in our early childhood years. Personality was created once oneself had exposed to some certain experiences for some amount of 'time'. So personality was created in our early childhood years. What I still don't know and ache to know is that does 'childhood personality' ingrain in our self , because the large exposure of time.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
IMO, it's the opposite. I think of it more like synaptic pruning where the brain reduces the connections in favor of well-worn pathways as you mature. Or you can think of it like a muscle. The more you use it the stronger it gets and your Enneagram type gets worked out more because it's familiar and you tend to depend on it to the neglect of the other types.

Enneagram type may soften at a more mature age for some people in the sense that you become more aware of it and less dependent on it. But that doesn't mean you become another type. It only means you become less compulsive about it.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I still haven't found an adequate information to conclude that Enneagram can change over time or not.
I would be surprised if you ever found it. You'd basically have to query the the origins of Enneagram theory (or more modern theorists if you consider them authorities) to find out how the concept of personality is to be interpreted. Even if you get that, it may not include a sufficiently comprehensive concept of personality to answer your question.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I personally think, certain situations might call ANYONE, across type, to act like certain type, regardless of their core type, because type is response

i.e. take bunch of people move em into real life haunted house that can kill you, you're gonna have a lot if 6ish reactions etc, everyone does have all the types in them

There's also disintegration and just level of heakth

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always believed that half of who you are is based on what you're natural personality traits are and the other half is based on your life experiences.

So, I think a major childhood event can definitely shift someone.

Probably not if they have a super strong personality, but if they're not extreme in any regard then it's definitely possible.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Yes i can relate to this. Ive experienced being in my opposite self for like two to three years.

I know i changed. I didn't know myself anymore.. Lest i know i was on an inferior grip.

But then, I've learned how to handle it..

There's also some times that I'm being set on that grip, but since i studied it how it manifests and i had full awareness wtf is that stupid shit.. I learned how to face the grip.

Yes. It can make you stronger and makes life easier.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I was a type 4 before. Can you fukin believe that. I was an infp/infj
Not really. I don't subscribe to the idea that type changes. I do believe your own personal coping mechanisms can change and potentially hide your type. I believe you can train yourself to look like a different type. And that what you seem like as a child would be utterly different as an adult.

I probably seemed like an ISFP 9(52) growing up. I was really damned sensitive as a child. Then as a teenager I seemed like an INxP (and I still test as one) 5, probably 5w4. Neither really mean much, as I wasn't actually grown up yet and didn't know who I was under all the influences people have on you as a minor. It's why I feel typing anyone before they're ~23 is almost a waste of time.

@Nile
As for trauma... No, I don't think so. You'd disintegrate before anything, and withdrawal is perfectly normal for anyone of any type after trauma. A temporary change in behavior is normal too, but that doesn't mean your entire personality (not that enneagram is about behaviors) up and changes. It might feel like it does, but it's more... idk, shock, I would think.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I don't know. People seem to come to the consensus that I'm a 9w8. However, if you saw me when I was a kid, I was most certainly not at all like a type 9. I was bossy and assertive, not easygoing. I didn't have any concern about being connected to others or having an inner peace (although I still don't right now, really). I started becoming more 9-ish after dealing with a bunch of douchebags in middle/high school. So I can relate to what you're saying. I don't believe that enneagram type is stagnant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts