Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since around July/August, I've been having a phantom heart issue of sorts and even though I've been to the doctor several times over it, there hasn't been anything conclusive. The only thing in testing that's been weird is I am apparently very anemic and have borderline hypotension ((low blood pressure but not quite low enough for medication)). I have iron tablets now to deal with the anemia but recovering has been slow.

However, even with the iron tablets and recovering from anemia, I'm still having debilitating symptoms and my doctor keeps wanting to say it might be anxiety, but I don't really feel like it is? Can anyone with anxiety possibly check out these symptoms and say if you relate or not? Since these symptoms are scary and sometimes I think I'm dying... I also have them for hours at a time when I used to never have them.

The most common symptom I experience is chest tightness and a "fluttery" heart feeling, and sometimes on bad days there will be palpitations. At its worst, it can be quite painful though I don't quite get the severe pain all that often. I'll also have shortness of breath, a "choking" feeling in my neck, tingling/numbness in my fingers and dizziness/light headedness. After really bad symptoms disappear, I will still feel a mild aching in my chest as if my heart or other chest muscles are tired from working too hard or something. They seem to happen at random, from starting when I'm asleep and at rest to when I'm exercising and everything in-between. I tried figuring out if there was any pattern to them on the calendar but there doesn't seem to be any pattern. It's really debilitating and I can't sleep with the symptoms so it's happened multiple times where I've been awake for over 24 hours straight because I have to wait for the symptoms to disappear before I can sleep again.

I had a heart monitor given to me for the entire month of December but oddly didn't have many symptoms, only the very mild ones, but in the last few days the symptoms have really come back strong and I'm thinking I should go see the doctor again... but I'm not sure what else they can test for? I've already had blood tests, EKG and other things done and everything is normal except for the anemia, but does anemia really make extreme symptoms like this? My doctor just says "maybe" to that but I kinda want to know what others who have had anemia have been through. Is it really possible that what I have is a very severe anemia to mimic heart problems?

It's also confusing why I'd even have anemia in the first place. My doctor said my blood test results make me look like a vegan when I'm very much an omnivore and I eat red meat often. I also eat a lot of dark green leafy vegetables and take a daily multivitamin. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of iron in my diet...

Another thing is at my last doctor visit, I passed out when my blood was being drawn for the blood test, something that has NEVER happened before and I got really freaked out by it since when I woke up, I didn't know where I was and it took like an hour for me to stand up again. I also felt very dizzy/sick for the entire rest of the day.

A lot of this is also weird because I'm actually a very physically fit kind of person and I'm quite outdoorsy, like hiking 10-15+ km on mountain trails over summer. My previous job was also a very physically demanding one and was basically a daily workout in and of itself. I'm at a very healthy weight, don't smoke and don't drink alcohol, so heart issues are something I'd think I'd be at low risk for... but still these palpitations and flutters are affecting me so badly. I don't have energy and my sleep pattern is all screwed up. I've also had lots of head fog so concentrating has been difficult.

I'm obviously not improving so I'll probably call the doctor again soon, but what should I even ask when my tests keep coming back as mostly normal? What else is there even to test for? :unsure: I'd like to recover ASAP since I need a new job and I've just been too weak and sickly over this to get one. I haven't felt like "myself" in quite some time... and friends/family notice this. My energy levels are terrible compared to what they used to be.

If anyone has experienced something similar, what did you do?

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,457 Posts
Anxiety and especially panic attacks can make you feel this way for sure, but whether you have them or not it's something you need to explore. I've had a few panic attacks and they felt horrible, it's why I went to the cardiologist for the first time actually, because I got what felt like tachycardia and felt like I was going to faint at the same time.
I'd stop taking the multivitamin too and see how it goes. Taking more than you need, especially in minerals, could potentially cause problems, with the absorption of iron too.
Are you a woman? Periods can cause iron deficiency.
Also, have you checked your thyroid?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can treat anemia symptoms naturally in the following ways:

Nourish your spleen
Use probiotics for a healthy gut
Consume iron-rich foods
Reduce stress
Consider taking supplements

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your symptoms really hit home for me except yours seem to be a little more intense but that could be enhanced by your anxiety which I didn't have at the time of my symptoms.
Anyway, I had this happen to me two summers ago. Symptoms were tightness in my chest, fatigue ( i would get winded just walking up the basement stairs) which is so unlike me, I am very active. Mowing the lawn about wiped me out and I would get dizzy spells. I was diagnosed as anemic and put on iron pills as well but that only helped a little. However in my own research I found that a lack of magnesium in the system can cause alot of these symptoms. I wasnt lacking enough to cause worry on my blood tests but my body noticed. I started on OTC 250mg magnesium pills and my symptoms went away.
I'm not saying this will work for you......but it did for me. Something easy and safe to try.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
might look into GERD/acid reflux as well. They can have a lot of symptoms that mimic weird chest pains and the chokey feeling and then it turns into anxiety/panic. Lines up with symptoms happening during exercise and sleep as well as those are both times that acid can come up easily. I have been dealing with this. You can have acid reflux/GERD without having heartburn, btw. I didn't think I had it because I've never had heartburn like people describe but now I can tell my symptoms and what foods trigger it.

Reactions: Hurricane Matthew

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've met a few people with generalized anxiety disorder that would often end up in the ER for heart palpitations and what they believed was a heart attack. It was never a real heart attack, of course. The weirdest part is they KNOW they have GAD, they have a diagnosis, they take medication, they're followed by professionals, yet they can't help being so worried about their bodily sensations that they constantly go back to the ER even though they know they have no health problems. But that's mental illness for you. I don't know if that's you, it's similar.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One word Acupuncture. People are usually pleasantly surprised to learn that indeed acupuncture with Chinese herbal medicine is a very effective modality for anemia.
Recent studies have verified that acupuncture can enhance the levels of the serum ferratin. The needles used for treatment can vary in thickness and length based on the kind of effect the acupuncturist desires to attain. In Auckland I know Spam service, I have acupuncture every week (back pain). Needles are very thin and you don’t actually feel anything while they’re being inserted.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
@Hurricane Matthew I've had a similar thing for many years on and off and it seems to be linked to low blood pressure (so when your blood pressure drops, your heart starts beating faster etc. to try and get the blood moving properly again). The best thing I've found for it was taking up muscle-building exercise, like weight-lifting, as more muscle mass improves circulation. However, more recently I haven't been able to do that for various health reasons and combat the blood pressure drops by eating regularly, with a focus on things that won't raise then drop blood sugar, drinking plenty of fluids, as well as wiggling my feet a lot if I start getting a drop.

Reactions: Hurricane Matthew

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,195 Posts
eating chestnuts is supposed to be good for anemia. also, make sure you get enough vit. c, especially when taking iron. your body doesn't absorb iron as well without vit. c in your system when you take it

eta- if your body isn't asborbing nutrients well, it could indicate that your intestinal lining is like mucked up or something like that. like coated with something so the nutrients can't be absorbed. having some diatomaceous earth mixed in water is supposed to help with that. or having high colonics.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am also recovering from anemia, but my anemia was caused by a gushing hemorrhoid. I don't have panic attacks but I can relate to your exhaustion. Before it was confirmed I was anemic I would get very tired, exhausted doing simple things. Like just carrying my backpack around or trying to play for a couple moments with my kids. I would also feel like I could just fall asleep at times for no real reason or just have no energy and my body would actually feel heavy. I have been taking iron supplements and my PA said I should take vitamin C along with it to help with growing new blood cells. I hope you get better soon. It really sucks to be so weak and tired. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
ESFP 6w7
370 Posts
i related with all of the symptoms but the dizziness. i don't have low pressure though, actually i have predisposition to have high pressure (mostly because of my weight)

my nutritionist once recommended me an exam that is similar to ergometry but i forgot the name. next time i go there, i will ask

·
Registered
448 Posts
The most common symptom I experience is chest tightness and a "fluttery" heart feeling, and sometimes on bad days there will be palpitations. At its worst, it can be quite painful though I don't quite get the severe pain all that often. I'll also have shortness of breath, a "choking" feeling in my neck, tingling/numbness in my fingers and dizziness/light headedness. After really bad symptoms disappear, I will still feel a mild aching in my chest as if my heart or other chest muscles are tired from working too hard or something. They seem to happen at random, from starting when I'm asleep and at rest to when I'm exercising and everything in-between. I tried figuring out if there was any pattern to them on the calendar but there doesn't seem to be any pattern. It's really debilitating and I can't sleep with the symptoms so it's happened multiple times where I've been awake for over 24 hours straight because I have to wait for the symptoms to disappear before I can sleep again.
I had a really bad month of January because the exact symptoms you're describing. Didn't sleep for 48 hours but my symptoms were so bad I couldn't feel how tired I was, it got to the point where I was just incredibly confused and nauseous. For me it was anxiety though, no doubt about it. I can't tell you it's not anemia but it could definitely be panic attacks. The palpitations and fluttering included. Just my two cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts