Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure I"m an ENFP, but when I meet other ENFP's, we have a lot in common, except that they all seem to be quite un-thinky, if you know what I mean - they say and do things which don't fit with everything else they believe and yet hardly seem to notice. Is this something some ENFP's ARE willing to do/develop (Fi, or tertiary Te??) and other's less so? OR is it more likely that I am not an ENFP since this kinda matters to me? Any knowledgeable persons out there who have an opinion on this would be much appreciated!!

(addition: I realise the title of this post sounds nasty!! I don't mean 'can' enfp's be logical - of course they can!!! - I mean, do they bother, usually)

·
Registered
930 Posts
As an ENFP, I can be logical but I prefer not to be - people tend not to warm up to people who are logical as quickly, and honestly I find it boring. I'm only 19 though, so my Te is probably pretty non existant >.<

I'm sure as I get older and calm down that side of me'll develop so I doubt being logical means you're NOT an ENFP. The deciding factor is if you lead with Ne/Fi, as these are the two functions which will always be developed after 17/18 =)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
what you said about logical consistency sounds a little Ti-ish. That's one of my major hangups.

l'm not so much concerned with obvious ''hard logic'', but l have a major thing about consistency.

They say and do things which don't fit with everything else they believe and yet hardly seem to notice

Reactions: Mary Louisa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what you said about logical consistency sounds a little Ti-ish. That's one of my major hangups.

l'm not so much concerned with obvious ''hard logic'', but l have a major thing about consistency.
Hi, yes, I too have a major thing about consistency. Some people think I'm INTP, some think I'm ENFP, yet these two types seem SO different, how can that be??! So I wondered, maybe it's just that I've developed Te a lot and, merged with Fi, that comes out as having 'a major thing about consistency'? Not sure. Even at school I would argue the point quite a lot (though now I look back I realise I was basically just arguing for my parent's opinions (both parents were Te users, ENTJ and ISTJ :)

I wonder how much our parent's type affects us, and if ENFP's (are more likely to adapt to this than other types?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi, yes, I too have a major thing about consistency. Some people think I'm INTP, some think I'm ENFP, yet these two types seem SO different, how can that be??! So I wondered, maybe it's just that I've developed Te a lot and, merged with Fi, that comes out as having 'a major thing about consistency'? Not sure. Even at school I would argue the point quite a lot (though now I look back I realise I was basically just arguing for my parent's opinions (both parents were Te users, ENTJ and ISTJ :)

I wonder how much our parent's type affects us, and if ENFP's (are more likely to adapt to this than other types?
Have you looked into maybe being an ENTP? =)

but yeah, my dad's ENTJ, and I find myself trying to be slightly more Te-ish around him , though he's great, it's not like a pressure thing :p more like me trying to connect better

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Drum roll :rolleyes: Asking if a type can be logical is like asking if a type can feel, which in essence isn't logical. Again, Every type is designed for logic, so if you're looking to fit into a neat little box of " Un-thinky" like you call it, or not, you could be any type. ENFP like every type within Myer briggs, have stages of development. Ne is our primary function, used mostly assisted by Fi. Fi should be developed healthy between the ages of 20-30, Te 30+, Si later in life. Of course we will reach for Si at different times earlier in life, it confused us, sometime taking us out of character. Not to say we don't reach for our Te earlier in life, i've observed using my Te Ne mostly after i reached 30. Fi is always there though, churning and watching for red flags internally.

My observations of ENFP is they don't show all their cards, they keep much of their thoughts on the surface, not taking themselves too seriously. They save the core of who they are for special, or invested relationships. I have yet to meet an ENFP who wasn't logical, sounds like you mistyped your friends, and maybe you also mistyped yourself.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts

l've known one self-proclaimed ENFP who was very similar to me in this way, l didn't see much Te out of her. She was very much passionate about her causes and beliefs, though, aside from that she seemed to think exactly the way l do.

My experience with Fi doms is annoyance if you point out inconsistencies...if she hadn't been so sincere about her Fi related interests, l think INFP's would have hated her for trolling them about it xD

Reactions: Mary Louisa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My observations of ENFP is they don't show all their cards, they keep much of their thoughts on the surface, not taking themselves too seriously.
Yes, you're right that ENFP's don't show all their cards, I've noticed that definitely - and I'm pretty sure I haven't mistyped my friends. So maybe it is me that is mistyped?? I don't know. I didn't mean to seem dismissive when I said ENFP's seemed 'unthinky' - I just meant, not concerned for logical correctness, not, dumb or stupid. Obviously they are clever, they just don't seem particularly bothered to use their cleverness in that way, it's like they don't think it matters. And heck, maybe it doesn't, I'm just wondering why I do, and whether that is to do with type (and so, I'm mistyped) or if it's just a variation due to parenting or some other factor, like age)

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Yes, you're right that ENFP's don't show all their cards, I've noticed that definitely - and I'm pretty sure I haven't mistyped my friends. So maybe it is me that is mistyped?? I don't know. I didn't mean to seem dismissive when I said ENFP's seemed 'unthinky' - I just meant, not concerned for logical correctness, not, dumb or stupid. Obviously they are clever, they just don't seem particularly bothered to use their cleverness in that way, it's like they don't think it matters. And heck, maybe it doesn't, I'm just wondering why I do, and whether that is to do with type (and so, I'm mistyped) or if it's just a variation due to parenting or some other factor, like age)
Logical is subjective in a sense, i mean what is logical to one may not be logical to another. For ex- A. Saving all my $ to feel secure for the future seems logical. B. Why keep money tied up when we don't know what the future holds, seems logical. I can't speak for your experiences, my experiences with ENFP are not your experiences. And what is logical correctness, i don't understand what you're trying to convey here. You appear to be an SJ type if i was being honest here, maybe you could consider studying the functions. I not picking up on Ne, nor Fi with you, nor Te. I am picking up on Fe thou.

I see you're new here, and as a rule from my own experience with newbies, they often use generalizations or stereotypes , only because they haven't educated themselves. I'm not offended by what you said either, i was new once. Dig into the functions, not the descriptions. There is no such thing as thinkers or feelers either, i pretty sure you both feel and think ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Logical is subjective in a sense, i mean what is logical to one may not be logical to another. For ex- A. Saving all my $ to feel secure for the future seems logical. B. Why keep money tied up when we don't know what the future holds, seems logical. I can't speak for your experiences, my experiences with ENFP are not your experiences. And what is logical correctness, i don't understand what you're trying to convey here. You appear to be an SJ type if i was being honest here, maybe you could consider studying the functions. I not picking up on Ne, nor Fi with you, nor Te. I am picking up on Fe thou.

I see you're new here, and as a rule from my own experience with newbies, they often use generalizations or stereotypes , only because they haven't educated themselves. I'm not offended by what you said either, i was new once. Dig into the functions, not the descriptions. There is no such thing as thinkers or feelers either, i pretty sure you both feel and think ;)
You are so offended ;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have an ENFP or ESFP friend and she is realistic when she takes runs out of energy from being stubborn, ambitious and idealistic.

But yes, she can be usually reasoned with, when rational arguments are provided.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm pretty sure I"m an ENFP, but when I meet other ENFP's, we have a lot in common, except that they all seem to be quite un-thinky, if you know what I mean - they say and do things which don't fit with everything else they believe and yet hardly seem to notice. Is this something some ENFP's ARE willing to do/develop (Fi, or tertiary Te??) and other's less so? OR is it more likely that I am not an ENFP since this kinda matters to me? Any knowledgeable persons out there who have an opinion on this would be much appreciated!!

(addition: I realise the title of this post sounds nasty!! I don't mean 'can' enfp's be logical - of course they can!!! - I mean, do they bother, usually)
There are some logical inconsistencies in your post. So yes, ENFPs can be logical.

As @MuChApArAdOx mentioned, development of the tertiary often happens later in life. Sometimes we are fortunate to be exposed to people and circumstances that aid us in developing our tertiary function. Sometimes we consciously choose to develop it, and it is a beautiful thing to behold when we do.

Those who subscribe to Jung's theory of cognitive development believe that it is our destiny to eventually confront, if not develop, our tertiary.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
l've known one self-proclaimed ENFP who was very similar to me in this way, l didn't see much Te out of her. She was very much passionate about her causes and beliefs, though, aside from that she seemed to think exactly the way l do.
Uhm, so she wasn't an ENFP because she followed strong subjective values and you could understand her reasoning...?
I mean, there's a huge diversity within the types so it's not really "I understand you so we must share these functions". I'm saying that as a close friend of mine is an INTP and we understand each other perfectly. We don't really tho if you dissect it. It's just that we got a good synergy.
Another example of this is how my ESFP sister and her ENTP teacher completely agree a lot of times and completely understand each other.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Uhm, so she wasn't an ENFP because she followed strong subjective values and you could understand her reasoning...?
I mean, there's a huge diversity within the types so it's not really "I understand you so we must share these functions". I'm saying that as a close friend of mine is an INTP and we understand each other perfectly. We don't really tho if you dissect it. It's just that we got a good synergy.
Another example of this is how my ESFP sister and her ENTP teacher completely agree a lot of times and completely understand each other.
lnteresting.

When l read this, l see that l'm implying the exact opposite.
Did l say somewhere here, that she wasn't an ENFP?

l'll have to come back and reread this later.

Reactions: Acerbusvenator

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've personally met an FJ who can use logic.

Also, all types have Te or Ti, whether it's a function before or after their feeling function.

I think probably so. It's just easier for Ts than Fs. Ts have a greater tendency to use it but Fs can learn it as well.

Drum roll :rolleyes: Asking if a type can be logical is like asking if a type can feel, which in essence isn't logical.

@MuChApArAdOx said it correctly. Ts can feel - some may have learned in their home or other experiences to do so. Fs can also use logic - which I think 12 years of schooling plus home environment and other experiences teach.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
lnteresting.

When l read this, l see that l'm implying the exact opposite.
Did l say somewhere here, that she wasn't an ENFP?

l'll have to come back and reread this later.
Many say "self-proclaimed" as a way of saying that they disagree with the assessment.
As a kind of way to say "this person thinks s/he is this type, but that's not my opinion".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You are right, though, of course - logical is in the eye of the beholder! I slept on it (I live in NZ!) and realise that I am as illogical as my ENFP friends, I'm just more aware of THEIR mistakes than my own - classic :blushed:

I do know about the functions tho, it still aint a great deal of help - here's my results:

Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)************* (13.7)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si)**************** (16.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)************************************** (38.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)********************************** (34.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te)**************************** (28.8)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti)********************************** (34.1)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)********************************* (33.1)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi)**************************************** (40.2)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts