Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a lovely INFJ called Harry who has developed his own 8 function model and so far he has been on the money for how this entps brain works. He's done a video on ENFPs now so I'm wondering how accurate you folks find it. (Rough Theory background) his system works on a convergent stack, you Dom and 3rd function acting as a positive motivating force, and a divergent stack, 2nd and 4th functions) acting as a more critical and defining element. (He has a video series that defines his system, im probably doing a terrible job of it!) Additionally his system employs dipping into your shadow functions. What I like about it is how the functions are acting in concert with each other which provides another avenue for typing imo. Anyway its pretty detail heavy and probably requires researching the theory to follow it properly, but I'd curious how well he's done on a type with opposite functions to his own .

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,001 Posts
I've watched a few of his vid in the last month or so. He seems to tap into the inconsistencies of MBTI+ function stacks like "NE feeds FI", but when he's saying that our aux is TE, it's only more mental gymnastics to avoid dismantling (his understanding of?) the function stack.
An extravert perceiver is not an introvert judger from a Jungian perspective, which he's trying to utilize. N+E informs both F and T in both ENTP and ENFP (with developed tertiaries). The issue with this is, is that introversion is still part of any extravert type because introversion is the drive to protect oneself, not just physically but cognitively (protect the understanding, feelings, systems etc). To be a healthy (extravert) human one can't be too extraverted. So of course there's SOME introverted expression of functions but it's not the habitual way of interacting with the world, or myself. Modern MBTI+ descriptions of functions say that Fi is about introspection when Jung specifically said introversion is NOT introspection. And same with TI vs TE, Ti is NOT "thinking for yourself". It's all about how we interact with new stimuli and what we do to our prognoses, and for the E it's easy to sustain our own in favor of seeing how new info can affect them. It's easier to understand when we realize that NE isn't 1 function, FI isn't 1 function, it's functions expressed in an attitude. Once we get those out of the way it kinda clears things up a bit.

I'll explain what I mean for myself: I use the extraverted attitude first both in T and F, what I value, feel and think changes based on how N+E informs me, and I don't relate to having an "immovable core" as if the core preexists there independent of all the NE understanding I've gathered, if anything it's made from them. As someone who's close on T-F I need to be conscious of why I value what I do, I need to combine both personal and impersonal reasoning, but because I prefer F I'm sometimes blindsided in this, as I can't as easily see that what I'm investigating is based on a personal perspective rather than impersonal. What he says at 10:10+ is an example of FE in ENFPs and not FI. Other people affect us, their happiness, wellbeing, expectations. He's basically beating around the bush that ENFPs are not Fi types xD

I agree that I don't need archetypes for understanding the world, this has been the most baffling thing I discovered with Jung, because I just always stirred away from them and didn't understand why other people use them to understand the world so much.

This is a bit of a sidepoint but at around 9:10 he says he disagrees with judging-perceiving dichotomy, which makes me suspect he hasn't understood well how the Rational attitude manifests in people and how different it can make someone compared to the Irrational. I think judging & perceiving deserve their own axis not only to say someone is a "F/T dom" but also independent of the actual T or F function preference, so it's an attitude that engages either function in the same person, the need to find conclusions and have things make sense 'now'.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,001 Posts
I tried to find a vid of his about INFPs just to see how he'll explain things and here it is:

... and it also means that the INFP rather than pushing themselves forward into reality at the behest of their emotions they're actually adapting their emotions to reality ... and if you compare this emotional stratosphere to the INFJ you'll see that the INFJ is a lot less adapted & a lot less tolerant, they can tolerate things but it won't be natural to them, it will cause them a lot of stress & anxiety.

his explanation of why this happens is so convoluted... in order to avoid the simple consistent application of the principles of E and I.. His observation of INFJ is textbook Jungian FI and of the INFP textbook FE. No, it's not because INFPs have auxiliary Si, nor that they rely on Te. SI types don't behave like that at all so that would be an important comparison as to how it couldn't be Si...

vid is here

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,113 Posts
So there is a lovely INFJ called Harry who has developed his own 8 function model and so far he has been on the money for how this entps brain works. He's done a video on ENFPs now so I'm wondering how accurate you folks find it. (Rough Theory background) his system works on a convergent stack, you Dom and 3rd function acting as a positive motivating force, and a divergent stack, 2nd and 4th functions) acting as a more critical and defining element. (He has a video series that defines his system, im probably doing a terrible job of it!) Additionally his system employs dipping into your shadow functions. What I like about it is how the functions are acting in concert with each other which provides another avenue for typing imo. Anyway its pretty detail heavy and probably requires researching the theory to follow it properly, but I'd curious how well he's done on a type with opposite functions to his own .
So the First 10 seconds I disagree (at first then I had to reread 16 personalities.... well no wonder... the description is different than what I read). I've taken tons of test, they always label me ENFP. When I actually look at the ENFP description, yep that's me alright. I never read it and thought nahhhh, that doesn't fit. I do admit they sum us up as extroverts and I am very introverted. Let's go to the actual site of 16 personalities page, shall we? Since he's using it in the start (images).

Humm ok they've changed the description since the last time I was there in 2014. So I guess I could get where he's coming from with using that site. It used to not say "life of the party." I've never been and never will be the life of the party. That would be my sister (ESFP) or good friend (ESFJ). I'm the one that enjoys a few drinks, dances, and tries to avoid sitting around the food station because then my over-talkative mouth will start speaking and I'm not necessarily in control of what I might say. I always find some subject that's rather odd and weird. I also don't necessarily go to a party to make new social acquaintances. I was invited normally by a friend and I feel obligated to go because I've turned down several other invites and I'm like crap... I have to go. Then weddings are pretty much a sure thing I will attend if made apart of the bridal party. Even my two best friends (both ISFJ) are amazing "life of the party" over me. I don't think I've gone club-hopping in five years. thinks

But once you get to this part in the page of 16 personalities (it's highlighted in a kelly green bubble)...

Campaigners are fiercely independent and much more than stability and security, they crave creativity and freedom.
Almost everything after that is pretty true. I especially like this part

Campaigners will spend a lot of time exploring social relationships, feelings, and ideas before they find something that really rings true.
Just because there is another thread currently at the top of the ENFP section asking how quickly we fall in love and almost every ENFP has the answer with "It takes us a while to discover love."

Though yeah, now that I really think about I do have moments in time where I'm like... maybe I'm an INFP. I rush to go take a new test in my INFP mode and nope still ENFP. I've tried countless, maybe up to 100 different tests. Every one of them states ENFP. So I guess a small part of me will go through my doubts but in the end when reading INFP, I'm nothing like them. Hell hanging out with an actual INFP, I'm similar but also off the mark.

In conclusion yeah, I can agree with some of his points. I mean my post kind of points out his meaning even at 2:05 that I can get so carried away within the task of answering that Ne-Te firing off on all cylinders, you get this lovely novel to read.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,001 Posts
@Shrodingers drink

All the system structure stuff aside, I relate to that I'm not a party person, I don't care to just meet people for the sake of it, my focus is definitely on taking in as much data as I can in a detached-objective manner because I want to understand. There are definitely times that my values kick in but that's usually when interacting with people and in more extreme things, like for example finding out the person I'm talking to is a headstrong nationalist in which case I will feel a pit in my stomach, a certain dizziness and other such interoceptive responses that are F-related (real example). I guess it can happen in more minor things but it's always when interacting with people as in, it's rare that I feel that way for things relating to the rest of the world. Like I won't get a reaction from theorizing about the universe. From what I understand F doms are like that even with such things. I guess it's because when it comes to interacting with people of different values I can feel a sense of actual danger, so it triggers my introversion. I still try to converse from an E point of view but it's not as easy, especially IRL. I suspect with age I get better at it tho. Moving on..

I can certainly lose myself in a task or process and also with other people, peer pressure affects me, perhaps not to the degree of most people (esp SFs) but usually more than I'd like. It's hard to say no and to disappoint others. I've built a lot of intuitive understanding of body language and picking up microexpressions, tone of voice etc but when it comes to deciding what to do with that information I can shortcircuit and usually put myself in the 'losing' or submissive position of a situation. Or because I need more time to process the information & realize what was happening, but also generally decide, I tend to take that losing position automatically as a sort of placeholder for when I make my actual decision, which sometimes leads to people be disgruntled at me because "I changed my mind".

What he says at 3:25+ I do relate and it's why I'm so alike NTPs as well. It's not the MBTI Te he's describing there. It's about, as he says, refining my understanding. It's with the interest of objective reality in mind, not what I want it to be. Do you agree/disagree with that?

I don't really take up causes, and don't particularly seek to, but I'm not opposed the idea that I could & would benefit from this in some way. I guess it's a matter of opportunity for me cause I haven't had many and those that appeared to me were more from other people wanting to recruit me to things and that makes me run away pretty fast.
I agree with him, that I don't run away from the past, perhaps because I was depressed at a young age in my teens, coupled with my strong drive to understand things I just had to confront it and figure out what makes me miserable, unproductive, stressed and sleepless. I was not afraid of what I'll discover, I was more afraid of living my life like that, I just wanted to solve and change what's wrong and fortunately had great success with this.

Around 10:10 he says that a healthy ENFP can have a good dialogue with their emotions/F and I find that to be true for me especially after all the above. I'm not afraid to be honest with myself, to confront my negative emotions or even things I may dislike about myself. But I disagree that SI has anything to do with this, I think SI does the opposite even, Jung had identified SI & NI types as the least self-aware. I think he had a point because self-awareness requires objective awareness & little need to defend your bad behaviors.

Anyways that's enough for now, I'll post again if necessary.

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
To my surprise I can relate to a lot of what he is saying - I never really view myself as an extrovert or a feeler . I’m more of an explorer /researcher.
I tend to search for logical consistency on what I’m curious about and I definitely don’t appear or feel like an extrovert - I have people telling me that I probably mistyped myself because I tend to introspect before rushing into answering something.
Unsure if Te is my aux function- but I can easily isolate emotions from work /other matters and control my own feelings easily - I’ve always associated it with Fi understanding of ones identity though .
I can especially resonate with taking on more responsibility than I could handle when someone asked for help - often time I can handle the task but often time I’ll end up crashing from exhaustion and need a massive amount of time to myself afterwards.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I really appreciate this because analytical is always one of my top 3 traits of not the top. I have been able to change the world around me like he is talking about in different jobs and I found that I had great capacity to do so. Right now I am not in a job that does that and it is frankly tough to go back to influencing a more narrowed area. I further thank him because he is explaining all of this in a way that would reach those who have a much harder time not relying on stereotypes for their information. And when people can’t see what is actual and cling to stereotypes it drives me nuts because I find it damaging. He obviously went beyond the stereotypes, gratefully... and honestly I think it takes a great deal of thought and work to do so for some. To see what is there and draw conclusions about it accurately is highly valued by me, anyway.

He doesn’t like the words that Jung and Myers used and so he discusses that often. I have accepted Jung and Myers’ “types” as definitions only used when discussing Jung or MBTI. But it might be good that he is clarifying that for others. Of course a “thinker” in Jung terms is not a “thinker” in any other language terms. for “extrovert” (even though that is a term Jung made up” and true with “perceiver” as well... all things he kept mentioning.

I really feel like he did one of the best jobs ever of explaining what we are capable of and about as ENFPs, so I’d just like to thank him.

thanks for letting us know about him @Shrodingers drink

@Respect. What do you think of this? I remember saying to you even though sleep is my last animal (I think) that Probably one of my biggest traits On any trait test is analyzation.

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really appreciate this because analytical is always one of my top 3 traits of not the top. I have been able to change the world around me like he is talking about in different jobs and I found that I had great capacity to do so. Right now I am not in a job that does that and it is frankly tough to go back to influencing a more narrowed area. I further thank him because he is explaining all of this in a way that would reach those who have a much harder time not relying on stereotypes for their information. And when people can’t see what is actual and cling to stereotypes it drives me nuts because I find it damaging. He obviously went beyond the stereotypes, gratefully... and honestly I think it takes a great deal of thought and work to do so for some. To see what is there and draw conclusions about it accurately is highly valued by me, anyway.

He doesn’t like the words that Jung and Myers used and so he discusses that often. I have accepted Jung and Myers’ “types” as definitions only used when discussing Jung or MBTI. But it might be good that he is clarifying that for others. Of course a “thinker” in Jung terms is not a “thinker” in any other language terms. for “extrovert” (even though that is a term Jung made up” and true with “perceiver” as well... all things he kept mentioning.

I really feel like he did one of the best jobs ever of explaining what we are capable of and about as ENFPs, so I’d just like to thank him.

thanks for letting us know about him @Shrodingers drink

@Respect. What do you think of this? I remember saying to you even though sleep is my last animal (I think) that Probably one of my biggest traits On any trait test is analyzation.
I'm not sure if sleep is your last animal, that was my previous assessment last we spoke. But if you think you're good at analyzing, then perhaps your sleep is in your top three animals and you possibly have blast last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts