Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the Enneagram reportedly lacks external validity, it appears that many on Perc and elsewhere, myself included, readily attest to its reliability and application, even more so than Socionics and MBTI- especially regarding motivation.

Do you think Enneagram (or MBTI, Socionics) could be used to help those in the education and job increase motivation, desire, productivity, etc?

I am looking to go to grad school for industrial engineering which tries to help workers productivity. With how much the enneagram has helped me personally, I wonder if I could introduce it as an option...

What do you think?!

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
What would you propose to do with it? I don't see it having a ton of external application in this regard, though I see where it can be helpful in introspection, understanding yourself and how you relate to things, and perhaps have application in therapy; perhaps you see it differently?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, exactly that... to start with. Once a certain understanding is reached, apply it to their work criteria and habits-- basically elaborate on it. Prather vague, but that's why I'm asking. I cannot figure the direction I would want to go with it.

In addition,I find Socionics fitting for constructing teams, for example, using energizers and ideal matches.
For instance: ENTP- energizer - ESFJ
ISFP- energizer - INTJ

Their ideal types are energizes as well, creating a sort of best case scenario for workers.
It looks good in theory at least, the potential to create a sort of utopian work environment in which functions are complementary.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
Yes, exactly that... to start with. Once a certain understanding is reached, apply it to their work criteria and habits-- basically elaborate on it. Prather vague, but that's why I'm asking. I cannot figure the direction I would want to go with it.

In addition,I find Socionics fitting for constructing teams, for example, using energizers and ideal matches.
For instance: ENTP- energizer - ESFJ
ISFP- energizer - INTJ

Their ideal types are energizes as well, creating a sort of best case scenario for workers.
It looks good in theory at least, the potential to create a sort of utopian work environment in which functions are complementary.
Socionics has better application in things like this because it details more the structure of your thought and output than its motivational content, and there are kinds of thinking you can explain as more (or less) compatible in various ways. In terms of Enneagram types, I imagine it'd be best to have a good mix to represent a diversity of motive.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Although the Enneagram reportedly lacks external validity, it appears that many on Perc and elsewhere, myself included, readily attest to its reliability and application, even more so than Socionics and MBTI- especially regarding motivation.

Do you think Enneagram (or MBTI, Socionics) could be used to help those in the education and job increase motivation, desire, productivity, etc?

I am looking to go to grad school for industrial engineering which tries to help workers productivity. With how much the enneagram has helped me personally, I wonder if I could introduce it as an option...

What do you think?!
Well, I think that any personality typing system that you see is useful is going to be of help I making a career choice. There are many for MBTI. One of my personal favourites is Color Q Assessment. The book by Shoya Zichy is really helpful. It uses colour codes such as red/green = FSP gold/blue = STJ, blue/red= NTP , green/gold= NFJ, blue/gold= NTJ, green/red= NFP, gold/green= FSJ, red/blue= STP and gold/green= FSJ.

There aren't many books on career choice and the enneagram unfortunately. The only one I'm even aware of is Elizabeth Wagele's The Career Within You: How to Find the Perfect Job for Your Personality which I haven't read. I also found this website: Bad Career Choices and the Enneagram – The Great Office Escape and Career Choices for Enneagram Types – The Great Office Escape.

Reactions: steffy

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@steffy
career resource centers at most colleges offer MBTI tests with descriptions (albeit, their tests are horrible LOL). I think it would be a useful tool for teachers, especially the ones who expect everyone to behave like an xSxJ 1>6>3 Sp dom

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
No.

A tool is only as good as it's wielder. Do you really think companies will use the enneagram thoroughly and effectively? More like they'll send HR to a workshop or two, where they'll be taught stereotypes, bad assumptions, or just flat out wrong info.

From my experience, career advice from a personality test can been disastrous. My therapist tried to convince me to stay in my major because Computer Science was the quintessential career for INTPs, but I couldn't stand it. Nor did I like mathematics or engineering. I have a hunch that anytime a user chooses "logical", "rational," or "analytical" in a career test, they will invariably get science and technology related answers even though logic can be applied to a wide berth of other fields. My therapist didn't get that though: She just listed the three or four possible careers for INTP, shrugged and moved on.

I maintain that the enneagram is for personal discovery. I doubt companies have the foresight to apply the enneagream constructively. More like they'll use it to discriminate against job applicants of the wrong type, or make some other bumbling mess of it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I maintain that the enneagram is for personal discovery. I doubt companies have the foresight to apply the enneagream constructively. More like they'll use it to discriminate against job applicants of the wrong type, or make some other bumbling mess of it.
Yeah that's my concern with it. Self discovery? Yes. Therapy? Yes. Teaching (in any way)? Yes. Understanding relationship dynamics? Yes. Understanding others in order to better work with them? Yes.

Its when you start limiting it so much that you start assigning jobs to certain people and figure "Oh this person will be better at X because they're an ENTJ." That just starts to cross the line into the biased "-isms", perhaps we could call it "personality-ism".

Reactions: sleepyhead

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
There are so many aspects that play a role in what kinds of jobs you enjoy and seek out that I don't think enneagram is particularly useful in this regard. It's a very vague tool as it does not offer any concrete answers with tangible results. For a workplace that is usually focused on some kind of efficiency (social or in terms of production), I fail to see how enneagram could be applied meaningfully that other typology systems could not already cover.

Enneagram can be useful when it comes to personal introspection but usually we already know where our interests lie. If we don't, then there are MBTI tests and other kinds of work-oriented tests one can take if that's the kind of guidance one seeks. I mean, yes, we could perhaps try to utilize the existential perspectives the enneatypes offer within the work place e.g. 5s would be better off as some kind of researchers (and I use the word very loosely here) with focus on seeking understanding rather than focusing on seeking concrete results in say, the interpersonal sphere, or have 9s act as mediators in conflict and so on, but even so, I don't think it's that simple. What understanding means to a 5 will differ between 5s, and some 9s think mediation is simply to avoid being in conflict all together rather than actively dealing with conflicts. Again, other personality aspects play a role when it comes to what kinds of professions we're good at, and what kinds of skills we can offer at the workplace.

I can for example see a much greater utility with my workplace knowing that I'm an INTJ so they can place me at doing something INTJ-ish instead of what I am currently doing rather than them knowing I'm a 5. Ultimately, INTJ and 5 kind of ends up doing the same thing for me and 5 doesn't really explain it as well as INTJ as a label does. We already know that INTJ as a type enjoys dealing with logical systems, abstract data and theories, but there is absolutely nothing inherent to type 5 that would suggest this. We also know that INTJs are introverts and thus prefer working alone over working in groups, and they are a thinking over a feeling type so there is more focus on getting the job done over building interpersonal relationships at the work place. Some of these overlap with 5-ness, but why explain it through 5 is if it's so much better explained through INTJ as a label?

I could perhaps see how enneagram theory could have therapeutic value within the workplace though, e.g. we know that John is a CP6, so when he becomes overly aggressive and starts questioning authority and blames other people for their shortcomings, we know that he might not actually do it because he thinks they are wrong but he is simply projecting his own insecurities at other people so one should not take his critique to heart necessarily.

Even so, I think there are other established psychological theories that already cover that aspect and explains it as well. Now however, maybe it might actually be relevant for John to know that he's a type 6 and this will in fact improve his psychological growth and development more than simply being treated for his reactive behavior caused by his insecurities but he will never know why he had these insecurities in the first place, but then again, how relevant is it for John to know this? Will he as a whole, experience himself as more of a person knowing the genuine cause of his insecurities aside strict external explanations e.g. childhood abuse etc?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts