Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if any ESTJs here are doctors, or if anyone knows an ESTJ who is a doctor. What specialty are they in? What are your views about them?

I am at medical school and recently took a Myers-Briggs test which concluded that I was a clear-cut ESTJ.

I decided I wanted to be a doctor when I was 17 because I care about people, love interacting with others, love to work hard and want to do something meaningful that makes a real difference to peoples' lives.

I do have feelings but I have learnt to suppress them as a way of coping with the human misery around me and staying sane while trying to do my job properly.

The more I read about how other personality types perceive ESTJs (dogmatic, lacking in intuition and empathy), the more I think I'm going to be a rubbish doctor and that patients will hate me!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if any ESTJs here are doctors, or if anyone knows an ESTJ who is a doctor. What specialty are they in? What are your views about them?

I am at medical school and recently took a Myers-Briggs test which concluded that I was a clear-cut ESTJ.

I decided I wanted to be a doctor when I was 17 because I care about people, love interacting with others, love to work hard and want to do something meaningful that makes a real difference to peoples' lives.

I do have feelings but I have learnt to suppress them as a way of coping with the human misery around me and staying sane while trying to do my job properly.

The more I read about how other personality types perceive ESTJs (dogmatic, lacking in intuition and empathy), the more I think I'm going to be a rubbish doctor and that patients will hate me!
Hi MistressA

I think you'd make a pretty good doctor, actually!

Your ability to suppress feeling will help you survive a career that can be very trying for hopelessly empathetic people. You clearly have a sympathetic/empathetic ability, since that normally produces a desire to care about people and do something meaningful in people's lives. Don't worry about the stereotypical perceptions of your personality type by other people. They're just stereotypes.

Your extroverted nature will make your patients feel more open with you, since you'll probably strike up conversations with every one of them. Additionally, you will meet new people all the time, the perfect thing for an extrovert!

Your T and J attributes will help you excel in a notoriously difficult field. Your logical and order-loving mind will excel in a field dominated by the need for knowing and performing in a critical field. If your personality were dominated by F and P, you'd feel confined within standard procedures and "in the box thinking" that is necessary to ensure predictable and reliable diagnostics and treatments.

Your S attribute, being detail oriented, fact based, and realistic, will make you a prized doctor. Who wants a doctor that occasionally misses a detail, gives wildly speculative information, or even bases their knowledge on wildly heretical sources? Nobody! You would be precisely the kind of doctor a patient would trust.

I'm thinking you'd be a great doctor. :cool:

·
Registered
615 Posts
The way you describe yourself seems like doctor material to me! :)
My dad is an ESTJ too, albeit a bit immature, and he is a doctor.
However, he does seem to lack empathy for his patients/other people, and tends to complain/mock them being weak.
You sound NOTHING like him, waaaaay better!
And ESTJ's make great doctors, although some do not care for their patient as much as I'd like them to.
With your well-meaning, I'm sure people would be lucky to have you as a doctor, and you may have the natural abilities to excel in this field! :)

·
Banned
211 Posts
Anyone, doesn't matter of what personality type, has the ability to become a doctor. Same with you. Keep this in mind, people will often times generalize than not. Keep your head up and do what you love to do and not let others influence you from getting there. You should also know that we're all more than what our personality type can describe us. There are certain descriptions I'd have to disagree with when reading the ESTJ profile. When reading the profile, I sound like I'm boring compared to the other personality types when that's not always the case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone,

Yes, they make excellent emergency room doctors and I've seen many. ESTj's care about people very much and they are very compassionate; if you know anything about Socionics or want to take the time to learn it, you will find out that they are also very idealistic and strive to improve themselves; all this deal about them lacking empathy has nothing to do with them not having feelings and concerns; I think empathy is feeling people's emotions. They react well to people in emergency situations because they focus on the problems that need to get solved and over look emotional turbulance, making them more steady. They also have great work eithic so they can haul long hours in the emergency room without killing themselves. No one will hate you; you will make an excellent doctor, I'm very sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts