Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Is everyone subject to an MBTI type? Or are some people unable to be typed?

(I know several complex people who seem to challenge MBTI types at every chance they get....)

What do you think? Can everyone be assigned an MBTI? Or are there those individuals who cannot be typed?

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Very good question. I wouldn't discount the possibility that there is someone out there who just doesn't fit into any of the MBTI molds. There could be people who don't have a clear "letter" in one or more spots of their type code, people who have a strange order of cognitive functions, etc. No system is perfect after all.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I hate the word "type", because it just sounds so shitty and unprofessional. Everybody is one of them. Those who have difficulties are too stupid to figure out that they just want to be even and balanced, rather than have an actual preference. The real people out there that struggle to type themselves are just well developed people that don't know enough about temperament theory.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate the word "type", because it just sounds so shitty and unprofessional. Everybody is one of them. Those who have difficulties are too stupid to figure out that they just want to be even and balanced, rather than have an actual preference. The real people out there that struggle to type themselves are just well developed people that don't know enough about temperament theory.
You do know that MBTI is not real, right? That it is at best an approximation of personality? Ever heard of neuroplasticity?

Anyway, I believe that everyone can be typed to a certain degree, and that types can change. Some people will be very balanced and will have a difficult time identifying their preferences.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I think there are a few possibilities where a person legitimately cannot fit into a type (ie. a set of cognitive functions):

1. The person has very atypical function order, which would result in someone who is unbalanced, IMO - not sure the likelihood of this in a healthy person. MBTI is made to indicate the type "normative" types, or people who are relatively healthy. A slightly atypical function order will probably still resemble one type more than others, IMO. Example: a person who is Fi Ne Ni Te Si etc is still pretty much INFP.
2. A person is not mentally well enough to be typed - mental illness & psychotic disorders will definitely warp thinking, and therefore warp their personality.
2. The person has developed their inferior functions so well that they are nearly perfectly balanced - I think this is unlikely, as it would be something like self-actualization and I think that's more of a theoretical goal. A realistically balanced person should still fit a type, IMO, but they may not see themselves that way, and poorly written profiles that amount to caricatures of types will only make it harder.

I think that is part of the problem: how people view themselves. Some people are bad at honest self-evaluation.

In most cases though, I think the person does not understand the theory very well. Even if they reject the MBTI profiles or even the cognitive lineup for each type, I think most people will see themselves in a Jungian function, IF they are honest with themselves.

Another issue is people who expect MBTI to do more than it does - it does not explain every facet of personality, it does not determine your talents or intelligence, etc. All it does is indicate your cognitive functions, and even the, it can be faulty. Nothing seems to replace some research and introspection, IMO.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with OrangeAppled in the general thrust of the answer. But there is one thing that is not mentioned in this thread, possibly because it is simply assumed, but I feel the need to write it explicitly anyway... No person can really be typed reliably by someone else. In this sense no one can be typed, since it is totally dependent on typing yourself. And this is why people that do not have a good enough understanding of themselves will find it hard to find their type. Sorry for stating the obvious...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Almost everybody can be typed. I do think some people are easier to type then others. Some people just match the type's description like a glove and others have qualities that don't quite neatly line up with any single type. Usually upon closer inspection, such peoples' true type preference become more obvious.

There are people who are particularly difficult to type because they are extremely balanced and have learned to effectively utilize their non-preferences or people who are under a great deal of pressure to act a certain type. Again, if you examine their behaviors closely enough, the real type becomes more apparent.

Like what OrangeAppled said, I do think there are a few cases where typing someone is futile. Someone who's really unstable mentally is likely to exhibit behaviors that mask their true type preferences. Also I don't think you can type infants with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not just the mentally 'unstable,' but the mentally disabled as well can't be typed, and the reasons for that should be obvious. Their personality is shaped largely in part by their condition, and the results of their condition are more symptoms than traits. I have mentally disabled family members and there's absolutely no way to discern what type they are, because who knows what they would express if they COULD? Just because a person can't outwardly express extraversion due to a handicap doesn't mean they don't prefer the company of others.

I'm just going by my personal experiences with mental illness. The people I'm talking about suffer from Huntington's. It's a neurodegenerative brain disease that heavily affects voluntary muscle movement and is similar in many ways to Parkinson's. It prevents these people from really expressing themselves the way healthy people do. They might have a type, it's just impossible to tell which because they have no way of communicating it.

Reactions: DJeter

·
Registered
INTP / LII
1,311 Posts
Anyway, I believe that everyone can be typed to a certain degree, and that types can change. Some people will be very balanced and will have a difficult time identifying their preferences.
:laughing: types can change? can cognitive functions change? I don´t believe so:dry:

but back to topic:

I wouldn´t be interested in the MBTI at all if this were the case. A typology on human behaivour "out of the unconscious" for only some typeable people :confused: what a waste.

The MBTI is like a template on the personality it doesn´t cover everything but a large part is covered by it. Like a liquid in a transparent case with zero gravity :cool: the same is with the enneagram only with another color. A liquid that represents a recognizable certain pattern.

2 various colors for each System to represent either the enneagramm, mbti

that would look like this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/beispielbilder.jpg/

It is also possible to type Sensors from iNtuitives through Visual Identification or to grasp and recognize the essence(in their writings or their bevhaivour and movement patterns) of their dominant cognitive function.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I believe one is difficult to type when the individual in question is adaptable and displays multiple function preference. How do you determine how much you use or prefer a function? I certainly can't. NF was as far as I could take it. There are different ideas floating around, especially about how an extrovert and an introvert should be:

a)Social or Reclusive (out of which the latter applies)

b)Where one gets energy from (from the inside or from the outside).

o_O so what do you call someone who isn't social but requires stimulation from the outside, of the non social kind or it gets bored?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Nope. Some are just far too balanced.

·
Registered
INTP / LII
1,311 Posts
I think that is part of the problem: how people view themselves. Some people are bad at honest self-evaluation.
This.

The stupid ones that wants to be a type for the sake of it:laughing: I want to know about myself, my type and the others around me and not some fantasy world far away from reality for something like this I don´t need typology.

Another issue is people who expect MBTI to do more than it does - it does not explain every facet of personality, it does not determine your talents or intelligence, etc. All it does is indicate your cognitive functions, and even the, it can be faulty. Nothing seems to replace some research and introspection, IMO.
Yeah

False understanding is bad but this bichting about the mbit caused by such "falsifiers" "false stereotypers" leads to no improving effect. There are some on this Forum they are annoyed by this and are chosing "venting" about it without thinking to much about some bad consequences.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts