Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "think" I can be an ESTP and I "feel" that I can also be an ESFP. I've taken the test a total of three times, the first two times being an ESTP. Just recently I've decided to take the test again, after sharing it with my friends. After taking it, my results were:

ESFP - 89% extraverted, 1% sensing (LOL), 25% feeling, and 22% perceiving.

For my ESTP results, I don't recall getting such weird percentages (if that makes sense). Is it possible that I change from day to day basis because sometimes I feel that I use my feelings more, and when I'm alone or in situations that call for more logical and thought out approach, I can become an ESTP.

I read both descriptions and I can relate to many ESFP traits but the ESTP seems more like me. Thanks.

btw, I think that the feelings side is inherited from my mom as she's very dominant through feelings.

Also, I'm getting an idea that after using weed for around a year, it can change or bring out functions. Then I read this on the ESFP page: "They are extremely in tune with their five senses, and may be prone to overload them with too much alcohol, food, or drugs."

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
ESFP's.

they can be just as monstrous as ESTP's.

I would say ESFP's are good with emotions so are probably a lot more outgoing than ESTP's are. ESTP's may sometimes be hesitant to meet new people because they don't beat around the bush, which is sometimes necessary in order to be "pleasant."

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would prefer if an ESTP or an ESFP told me, because of them having first hand experience/explanation. Is it not possible to be an ESxP, a fluctuating T/F based on what has been hannin'

·
Registered
703 Posts
Also, I'm getting an idea that after using weed for around a year, it can change or bring out functions. Then I read this on the ESFP page: They are extremely in tune with their five senses, and may be prone to overload them with too much alcohol, food, or drugs.
That is related to Se which is the first function of both ESFPs and ESTPs. In other words, both ESFPs and ESTPs overindulge.

I read both descriptions and I can relate to many ESFP traits but the ESTP seems more like me. Thanks.
btw, I think that the feelings side is inherited from my mom as she's very dominant through feelings.
When I read this, I think a person almost has to be ESFP. Because of the NT dominated academic world, there is a premium placed on society with regards to thinking over feeling, and a lot of Fs want to believe they are Ts. Well, T isn't better than F.

I was watching the Michael Jackson movie, "This is It" and for the most part it was a spectacle, but there was one scene that showed me what a pro MJ truly was. He stopped in the middle of a dance number and turned to the bass player, perfectly recited the notes the bass player was supposed to play, and said, "I need to feel those notes. When you are playing them, I don't feel it." This is the gift of a F perfomer. After what MJ said, I knew what he meant, but I wouldn't have been able to pick that up not in a million years.

In fact, as a T, I would think that I should not able to criticize the bass player as he was technically right, but as MJ said was emotionally wrong.

ESTPs and ESFPs would have to be very mature to have a romantic relationship, but I have great friends that are ESFPs. Using our Se, we shares similar visions of the world. More importantly, with ESTPs, our true trickster is Fi, which is a strength for the ESFP. For the ESFP, the trickster is Ti, an ESTP strength. So I help the ESFP with facts that apply to them usually with regards to decision making, and I rely on them to deal with diagnosing what I am feeling and helping me to feel better. If they can relate to what you are feeling, ESFPs can be very emotionally supportive.

So DD, when you see a pattern or insight into the world that makes sense to you and want to confirm said pattern, do you look for facts to support it or do you turn inwards towards your emotions? ESTPs are going to look for facts. Because I have been guilty of over relying on my Se, I almost always check for facts to support my Se.

Then I would ask yourself: what bothers you more, insensitivity or stupidity? Because ESTPs second function is Ti, I place much more value on facts and therefore hate stupidity. Because I rely so much on facts/Ti, I used to think it was not possible to get by without them. But some types do and Ts arrogantly criticize them saying, "Ignorance is bliss."

With ESFPs, obviously, they would be bothered more by insensitivity. You can't be a MJ like performer and not care how people feel. What chaps my butt and makes me want to challenge authority is when their facts are wrong, and the authority figures are hypocrites. ESFPs fight authority too, but it has more to do with emotions like when they feel someone that they care about is having their feelings neglected.

And for whatever reason, ESFPs have a magic relationship with animals and kids. ESTPs may appear distant at first and kids and animals warm to us once they see we like to play, but animals and kids show no fear with ESFPs. With an ESFP, a dog will jump in their lap and practically say, "Pet me" or a kid will grab the ESFP by the hand and say, "Come play with me." ESFPs give off the impression that they are everyone's best friend.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply! I wanted to address some things though.

I was watching the Michael Jackson movie, "This is It" and for the most part it was a spectacle, but there was one scene that showed me what a pro MJ truly was. He stopped in the middle of a dance number and turned to the bass player, perfectly recited the notes the bass player was supposed to play, and said, "I need to feel those notes. When you are playing them, I don't feel it." This is the gift of a F perfomer. After what MJ said, I knew what he meant, but I wouldn't have been able to pick that up not in a million years.

In fact, as a T, I would think that I should not able to criticize the bass player as he was technically right, but as MJ said was emotionally wrong.
Why not though? MJ's criticism IMO should be fine, because he's stating how it can be improved to let it be touched/felt emotionally. This is a great idea to capture the audience and it's a statement for improvement.

So DD, when you see a pattern or insight into the world that makes sense to you and want to confirm said pattern, do you look for facts to support it or do you turn inwards towards your emotions? ESTPs are going to look for facts. Because I have been guilty of over relying on my Se, I almost always check for facts to support my Se.
Can you give me a more specific example/situation? I've also noticed that I've been using the words "I feel... blah blah" a lot more often now and it bugs me because for some reason I would rather have a more logical approach to things rather than incorporate my feelings. It's like a sense of weakness. But I've read on the ESTP personal growth page that it's okay to share/express feelings so I've been doing so a lot often and I find that it's pretty awesome to do so.
Then I would ask yourself: what bothers you more, insensitivity or stupidity? Because ESTPs second function is Ti, I place much more value on facts and therefore hate stupidity. Because I rely so much on facts/Ti, I used to think it was not possible to get by without them. But some types do and Ts arrogantly criticize them saying, "Ignorance is bliss."Then I would ask yourself: what bothers you more, insensitivity or stupidity? Because ESTPs second function is Ti, I place much more value on facts and therefore hate stupidity. Because I rely so much on facts/Ti, I used to think it was not possible to get by without them. But some types do and Ts arrogantly criticize them saying, "Ignorance is bliss."
I think I would go with stupidity... if someone is being stupid about something and isn't willing to accept something I'm trying to explain, I could care less about how they feel because they aren't accepting my what I'm trying to say. However, on the other hand, if I were closer to them, such as a good friend, I would give my input and try not be as aggressive because I respect them more and feel the need to be aware of their feelings.
And for whatever reason, ESFPs have a magic relationship with animals and kids. ESTPs may appear distant at first and kids and animals warm to us once they see we like to play, but animals and kids show no fear with ESFPs. With an ESFP, a dog will jump in their lap and practically say, "Pet me" or a kid will grab the ESFP by the hand and say, "Come play with me." ESFPs give off the impression that they are everyone's best friend.
I think I've read something like this before, and I can feel more sensitivity with animals. Especially cats... and maybe puppies. I feel like they get to my more sensitive side. However, it's different for kids, I don't really care about them and sometimes they come off as annoying and I would rather them leave me alone. Also, I don't think I come off as everyone's [best] friend. I feel that I come off as outgoing and friendly, but that's only If I see that the person deserves it. But then that doesn't really agree with a current situation I'm in: I've noticed that a girl INTJ in my class seems very dark and negative about things, always mentioning the evils about the world and whatnot, and I feel the need to help her. I think that she's lacking intimate friendship, making her inable to share her feelings and thus be more burdened with negativity and complex thoughts. She thinks sharing is dangerous, and how others can have an advantage over here if they know too much about her. I feel accomplished because I might be the only one who somewhat has gained her trust and can talk to her.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No you can't. You can be well developed and be very balanced, you are one type though.
By your's overall posts you sound more like ESFP or ENFP than ESTP to me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Why not though? MJ's criticism IMO should be fine, because he's stating how it can be improved to let it be touched/felt emotionally. This is a great idea to capture the audience and it's a statement for improvement.
Right. That is why MJ was a musical genius, and we ESTPs are not. It didn't feel right, and he could tell in seconds. With me, it took decades to value all but the most primitive of feelings and sometimes years to understand what I was feeling. Now that I am making a conscious effort, I have how I feel down to days/hours, but honestly, I am not sure it is going to get much better than that. The fact that you get this instantly tells me you are more likely ESFP.

Can you give me a more specific example/situation? I've also noticed that I've been using the words "I feel... blah blah" a lot more often now and it bugs me because for some reason I would rather have a more logical approach to things rather than incorporate my feelings.
See what I mean? You are a F and want to be a T. It took me decades to say "I feel..." because I though that feelings had no value and were to be suppressed in favor of thoughts. In fact, when a T presses down and fights through feelings, they often bubble up at the worst time and can be paralyzing. I didn't work for years because I couldn't figure out how I felt about it and after identifying how I felt, I was able to figure out what bugged me and what didn't.

Meanwhile, an ESFJ friend and my ISFP father have never had that happen because they only worked jobs that they loved. My ISFP father worked very hard, but he never once complained about his job. Every day for 30 years, he skipped on his way to work. It took me a long time to realize how important that was. In my case, I was valuing money over my own happiness. And when you are not happy, I don't care how much you make, you spend more than you make to feel better about yourself. Pleasure spending does not equal happiness.

It's like a sense of weakness.
It is not a weakness. I have given you the examples of MJ, my friend, and my father to show you where Fs have Ts beat. Embrace your strength. Just know that feelings have little value in the academic world but are huge in the real world. People will pay you vast amounts of money if you can make them feel better. Think about what artists like MJ did and why they were so rich and famous.

But I've read on the ESTP personal growth page that it's okay to share/express feelings so I've been doing so a lot often and I find that it's pretty awesome to do so.
The fact that you are sharing your feelings and feel better about doing so means you probably are a F. There was one time I spent ten minutes straight talking to an INFP, and she finally said to me, "You feel guilty." I thought about it, realized she was right, told myself I didn't need to feel guilty, and shut up. There was no more reason for me to talk. ESTPs may share feelings then but we don't even know we are doing so whereas you do.

I think I would go with stupidity... if someone is being stupid about something and isn't willing to accept something I'm trying to explain, I could care less about how they feel
But I bet when you describe someone as stupid it is over a sensing item and not a factual one, right? And then look at what you said, "I could care less about how they FEEL". Feeling is what is important to you.

I think I've read something like this before, and I can feel more sensitivity with animals. Especially cats... and maybe puppies. I feel like they get to my more sensitive side.
For ESTPs, it is more about playing with kids and animals than connecting to or being sensitive with them. Don't get me wrong. Kids and animals love us when they get to know us because they love to play too, but I don't connect emotionally with them like a F does.

I've noticed that a girl INTJ in my class seems very dark and negative about things, always mentioning the evils about the world and whatnot, and I feel the need to help her. I think that she's lacking intimate friendship, making her inable to share her feelings and thus be more burdened with negativity and complex thoughts. She thinks sharing is dangerous, and how others can have an advantage over here if they know too much about her. I feel accomplished because I might be the only one who somewhat has gained her trust and can talk to her.
Again, you care about how someone feels, a classic F trait, and it is admirable. Just by showing that you care, you may help her out of the darkness. In my younger years, I would have just written off as stupid as in lacking common sense and ignored her.

DD, unlike a lot of other people who come here and ask for our help, I can tell you are being honest, and I can also tell you are a good person. ESFPs have meant too much to me in my life to say that we are better than they are. For the most part, ESFPs unlike some other types have enriched my life.

The difference in the academic world is that thoughts can be graded and judged more easily than feelings can because they are objective and feelings are subjective. So sure thinkers are going to have an edge when it comes to the more thinking professions like law, medicine, business, accounting ETC, and there is a tendency to think that Ts have it made because these are higher paying professions. But I have met many F professionals in the more feeling professions like nursing, marketing, and music who have done extremely well. Don't let the pompous Ts, usually NTs LOL, get you down.

Do you know how you wish that you could be more logical? Well, I wish I would have been more emotional. Thinkers have a tendency to not be emotionally supportive of Fs and the Fs think the Ts don't care when we truly do. I wish I had told people in my life that I cared about them more than I did.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Actually I'd say you can be a fluctuating MBTI type because MBTI is so ambiguous and all the personalities blend together. I think most likely you're an ESFP if you're even concerned about this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks Elvis! You're pretty convincing with your words. I guess I'll have to accept that I've been an ESFP LOL.

I also had another curious question, can weed alter a personality? I've notice that when I'm high I start having gloomy thoughts about the future and yeah, I don't normally do that. I notice my decisions are more influenced by emotions too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I also had another curious question, can weed alter a personality? I've notice that when I'm high I start having gloomy thoughts about the future and yeah, I don't normally do that. I notice my decisions are more influenced by emotions too.
Your primary function is Se. When you smoke dope, you lower your ability to sense. Weed theoretically could help Ns and hypersensing Ss. A hypersensing S would be someone with Asperger's, Autism, or mania.

However, with most ESFPs and ESTPs, our Se is razor sharp. When you lower that ability, it would make sense to me that your brain reverts to other functions. For ESTPs, the grip or depression is brought on by feelings, Fe, that lead to paranoia, Ni. With an ESFP, it would be facts, Te, leading to that same paranoia, Ni, which is pretty much what you describe.

To get out of the grip or depression, you go back to your first function and indulge your Se which in your case would mean to stop the weed.

Weed is a drug like any other, and it has its good and bad. One time, a skinny ESFP was talking a mile a minute, spending money she didn't have, and couldn't spend a second on one thought. She was manic, and she told me that she was quitting smoking dope for her daughter's sake. I told her if this was her off weed, she had better go back on it. There are other drugs for mania but weed was working well to control her mania.

So if you are a skinny manic or autistic or if you are a N, then there may be a reason to use it, but for most sensors, it screws them up. Weed makes them sluggish, fat, and stupid and lasts for months. I don't know why anyone then would want to touch it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A hypersensing S would be someone with Asperger's, Autism, or mania.
Aha, yeah I've been accused of Asperger's, so if it's attributed to high Se, that's a nice explanation! Thanks.

I think I'm sort of *almost* Aspergic. My friends don't think I have it but some professionals suspect that I have it. I personally deny it out of the feeling that if I believed I had it, I would act even more like I had it. But toning down Se and developing Ni tends to have a very positive effect. Also it's lucky my closest brother's an INFJ.

I guess perhaps "being myself" means being a maniac. I'm a total expert at restricting and inhibiting myself, although that's starting to have worse and worse effects so hence I'm looking for alternative solutions & ways to develop. To me it's just a big mountain to climb and it's awesome. So in a way I'm doing something "extreme" trying to surmount this obstacle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your primary function is Se. When you smoke dope, you lower your ability to sense. Weed theoretically could help Ns and hypersensing Ss. A hypersensing S would be someone with Asperger's, Autism, or mania.

However, with most ESFPs and ESTPs, our Se is razor sharp. When you lower that ability, it would make sense to me that your brain reverts to other functions. For ESTPs, the grip or depression is brought on by feelings, Fe, that lead to paranoia, Ni. With an ESFP, it would be facts, Te, leading to that same paranoia, Ni, which is pretty much what you describe.

To get out of the grip or depression, you go back to your first function and indulge your Se which in your case would mean to stop the weed.

Weed is a drug like any other, and it has its good and bad. One time, a skinny ESFP was talking a mile a minute, spending money she didn't have, and couldn't spend a second on one thought. She was manic, and she told me that she was quitting smoking dope for her daughter's sake. I told her if this was her off weed, she had better go back on it. There are other drugs for mania but weed was working well to control her mania.

So if you are a skinny manic or autistic or if you are a N, then there may be a reason to use it, but for most sensors, it screws them up. Weed makes them sluggish, fat, and stupid and lasts for months. I don't know why anyone then would want to touch it.
I see.. that explains a lot. So by using weed, would it be possible that other functions are used more and thus be grown quicker or differently? If that makes sense LOL. When I'm high, I do get very lazy, unmotivated, have bad coordination, and I can see why it can be depressing. However I do like that it numbs feelings at times and makes me not care about anything so I can just be relaxed and lost in thought LOL.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When I'm high, I do get very lazy, unmotivated, have bad coordination, and I can see why it can be depressing. However I do like that it numbs feelings at times and makes me not care about anything so I can just be relaxed and lost in thought LOL.
You remind me of what I heard once on TV. A person said that instead of taking a pill for depression or anxiety, sometimes it was better to work through and figure out what is making you depressed or anxious.

In general, though, pot is a bad drug for anxiety. Alcohol is a little better, but it doesn't last long.

If you go to a doctor though, you can take a legal drug for anxiety. The most commonly used are the Valium/Xanax type drugs, but there are other non-addictive ones like Buspar. If you are really in a pinch, you can take Benadyl for anxiety though.

Any of these is better than pot though for most sensors. For a lot of people, pot is just the easiest to get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts