Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still new to the MBTI and still learning about my personality type, which is INFJ.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I suppose that with lower Fe, SPs in general would feel less restrained by the social constraints or commonalities which a higher Fe user feels much more acutely aware of and guided by, for better or worse.

That being said, NFs are often considered free spirits (though again mores the xNFPs, the Fi users). And I think that as intuitives and dominant Ni users, INFJs are certainly inclined to diverge from the normal in some way, to look for something "beyond."

I suppose I'd say that while ISTPs are likely the more clearly "free-spirited," perhaps INFJs are less so in appearance but more so in mind.

And I'd say INFJs could be considered a fairly independent type. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by free spirited.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I would like to be free spirited but it doesn't come naturally so I have to work at it. It might help to spend time with ISTPs or xNFPs to pick up on how they do it.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
IFJs have inferior Se, so "Free Spirited" does not make sense.

Free in heart? Possible.
Free in action? Barely possible without supportive assistance.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Free in heart? Possible.
You anticipated what I was going to post (but starting out from the other direction)!

As I say now and then, I have, for an INFJ, an astonishingly strongly-developed Se. For certain reasons amounting to self-preservation, it's basically in the driver's seat with me, though frequently the others gang up on him and force him to behave. I can be chillingly spontaneous, precipitous, and in-the-moment. It's wonderful, it really enriches life, and I unreservedly recommend strengthening one's Se to all INFJs. And so, to answer the question: Yes, it's possible for INFJs to be free-spirited, if they develop their Se and let it have free rein at least now and then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Free in heart? Possible.
You anticipated what I was going to post (but starting out from the other direction)!

As I say now and then, I have, for an INFJ, an astonishingly strongly-developed Se. For certain reasons amounting to self-preservation, it's basically in the driver's seat with me, though frequently the others gang up on him and force him to behave. I can be chillingly spontaneous, precipitous, and in-the-moment. It's wonderful, it really enriches life, and I unreservedly recommend strengthening one's Se to all INFJs. And so, to answer the question: Yes, it's possible for INFJs to be free-spirited, if they develop their Se and let it have free rein at least now and then.
Yeah exactly. I really needed to hear this. I am trying my best to develop my Se. I also made it as part of my New Years resolution to do that when I read an article about it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah exactly. I really needed to hear this. I am trying my best to develop my Se. I also made it as part of my New Years resolution to do that when I read an article about it.
Great!

And I'll respond with the words engraved on every Se's heart: Go for it!

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,694 Posts
If you feel like you must have control over events in your life, you'll go down the anxiety road, without a seatbelt. You can be an authentic version of yourself in the vision of the world you have a fluid understanding of. Of course you'll have to battle with boundaries and maybe societal expectations ... or even expectations since in the process, these are including a false sense of accomplishment and appropriateness, which are supposed to not make you feel shame, remorse or a feeling of being lost

I think the question is : will you have the courage to be yourself, independently of your type ?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Now let's talk about the Grip. It's a serious concern. Anyone trying to improve their inferior by listening directly to it needs to be very aware of grip symptoms.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
free-spiritedness vs. conformity? it varies among INFJs.

type 1 INFJs seek rigid conformity to their own set of moral standards and will defy social trends that violate their conscience.

type 2 INFJs are anxious to accommodate others and adjust their behavior to satisfy the needs of those around them.

type 3 INFJs follow social trends that elicit public approval and make them appear successful.

type 4 INFJs eschew social trends and are highly individualistic in their self-expression.

type 5 INFJs are more attuned to the machinations of their minds than to social trends.

type 6 INFJs alternate between conformity and defiance - whichever reaction makes them feel least fearful, in a given scenario.

type 7 INFJs utilize social trends to their greatest pleasure, but choose pleasure over conformity if they must choose.

type 8 INFJs buck feeling controlled by social trends, but may align with them whenever it satisfies them.

type 9 INFJs go along to get along, unless it violates their deeply-held values, in which case they will become strongly defiant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts