Personality Cafe banner

Can INFPs be cynical?

[INFP] 
3K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  Ehre 
#1 ·
I visited mt aunty the other day and we get along like two peas in a pod. We can talk about things for hours and be cynical on every subject we discuss. So I mentioned personality types to her and I was absolutely bewildered when she told me she was a INFP.

So fellow INFPs, is there times you just stop caring and hate the world?

#2 ·
I recently had a strongly apathetic mood spanning a few days (sometimes it can last up to a couple of months, or, you know, the entire span of puberty.) Um, I have always been pretty cynical. I frequently hate the world (because I love it, and it won't let me help it/is destroying itself).

#4 ·
Does howdy doody have wooden balls? For sure we can be cynical, I am totally convinced we are all headed for disaster. Just look at gold and silver prices, thru the roof cause the dollar is crashing. I don't hate the world, but for nearly every problem we have, humankind is offering a less than practical solution. Just wait for the gulf oil + dispersant to hit the entire east coast with the rains, yikes!

#6 ·
I go through shifts sometimes I can be such an optimistic person and the world will be this
amazing place and will fascinate me and make me feel so good but then other times
I'll just feel dull and numbed and like nothing is real and nothing is good and just go to a really
dark place.

#9 ·
I have been cynical since forever, lol...Maybe I'm not an INFP. Nah, people think I'm ENFJ, and they're not too cynical, usually. But this isn't to say I don't love the world, I just think it's deteriorating and can only get worse.

Reactions: Roze
#12 ·
You know threads like this never go anywhere. I have no idea why any of you are even bothering to disuss this stuff. It's pointless.
j/k :tongue:

Cynicism? Never heard of it :unsure:

#14 ·
Mainly mood-dependant.

I usually se myself as a cynical, realistic, optimistic idealist :p

Once you become aware of the world and see it as it is, I think it's impossible to remain completely idealistic.
I'm actually more surprised I'm not a coldhearted jugdemental cynic by now, seeing as that is who the world is trying to change me into.

Reactions: Roze
#15 ·
I guess I can be cynical. In my darker moments when I compare what might be with what really is and how everything seems to conspire to make the goal float ever further away.

Just dont get me started on all that incredible greed. Or the fact that many people in my country helped vote a right wing near-fascist(Geert Wilders) into government.
I just can't believe that we have learned nothing at all.

#19 ·
at my core i always care for humanity and more importantly individuals. my sense of humor is generally cynical and/or self depreciating . for me its kind of a way to tell myself not to take things too seriously and be able to laugh at everything in life somehow. my best friend is an INTP and we have the darkest, sickest sense of humor (we've joked about abortion, school violence,death etc .) so we're rather disgusting together.
the strange thing about me is that people usually think i'm very cynical by nature and then they're shocked once they get to know me that i'm very loving towards everyone ( mostly everyone.. some people are assholes).
so i think that i project more of an INTP image to people because i'm hard to read but once i let people in they get to see all the dream like wonder and all other stereotypical descriptions for the core of an INFP.

breathing underwater till the end,
AvaAdore

#20 ·
INFPs as I have said a few times before aren't all fluff and innocence like some would say us to be. I feel like as an INFP gets older, they become more apt cynics. It's natural for us because the world isn't that wonderful place we want it to be. We live in a hell hole with a few bright sides. Quite simple really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.