Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate being judged in any way and get freaked out by any labels placed on me. But I think that I might be so afraid of judgement because I judge people a bit too harshly sometimes. I have a huge depth of feeling but if I see someone who looks like a sensing ditzy blonde, or someone who uses terms like gay and retarted I write them off really quickly.

I generally hold people to pretty high morals in my head, I mean not like looking over someones homework assignment, ok like not cleaning their room stupid things, but I think I come to irrational conclusions about people very quickly. My sister has also told me I am a pretty judgemental person, and she knows me best. Maybe I am overthinking this but do you know any infps with the same issue??

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hate judging people, i try to not say oh this persons bad and this persons good. I think naturally though, we do this. It's completely natural to pass judgment on people, especially if you're in high school, you're still learning about the world, as we all are. But i think there is a difference between judging in terms of morals, and in terms of harboring ill will for someone. Like you can say oh hate that person because of their beliefs, you don't hate them, you just hold conflicting states of mind and thought processes. What helps me get through any sort of over generalization about a person is, i look at it from their point of view. There's two things every single human being shares, birth, and death. In between those two happenings are an infinite amount of possibilities. So someone coming to a different conclusion about a certain topic is completely understandable, being that from the time of their birth, their experience of life was completely different from yours, and yours them. You can't judge someone for living, and essentially every action we take is because we live life just like everyone else. When we share similarities it makes things that much better, but it's understandable when we disagree. Too ideal? you be the judge :p I should also say that if someone is evil, in terms of the collective similarties of the whole, they should be judged accordingly. But i'm sort of a hippy when it comes to live and let live.

I don't know if that helps, but it's gotten me past the judgmental side of my soul.

·
Banned
780 Posts
INFPs might keep these judgments to themselves or consciously try hard not allow them to change how they treat a person, but the judgment exists.

This. I judge everybody, but it doesn't change how I treat them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I was younger I was rather judgemental of others. I could be supercilious, hyper-critical, and was generally a fault-finding person. It was weird, because whilst I could be that way, it still left me feeling internally conflicted. I rarely, if at all, voiced my views though.

Thankfully I've mellowed significantly in recent years. I'd definitely say that trying to abide by a "live and let live" kind of attitude, and or not jumping to conclusions about someone/their actions, has been one of the most positive steps I've ever taken in my life. I still catch myself doing it from time to time, but at least now it's not my default mode of action.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I do tend to judge, but I also realize how much it sucks to be judged. So I will keep the judgement to myself and, unless they are of just deplorable character, try to get to know them better. That is, if they want too. I have trouble intitiating contact, so they have to come to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sometimes I create a negative opinion on someone without realising it, usually it's with people I don't know well.I never act on this judgement though, because usually once I get to know the person better my opinion of them becomes more positive.

Also, It's not nice to feel like you're being judged so I try to avoid doing it to others. Sometimes you can't help those initial judgements though, so it's probably best to keep judgements to yourself till you've built up a better picture of the person.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It all depends on what kind of judgement you're referring to. Making factual judgements (i.e. observations) of character is a necessary and beneficial form of judgement; this would basically be the kind of judgement children and animals make. The other type (sometimes referred to as moral judgement) on the other hand, not only accomplishes nothing, it causes harmful negative thought patterns and is extremely prone to bias. For example, if someone offends me in a way that is personal, I will harbour a contempt for them that I wouldn't hold against people who have committed immeasurable atrocities. That's how illogical that form of judgement is; it's illogical because it basically exists to put your ego at rest by justifying all the instant negative emotional reactions you create, without any regard as to why they were created in the first place.

I hate being judged in any way and get freaked out by any labels placed on me. But I think that I might be so afraid of judgement because I judge people a bit too harshly sometimes. I have a huge depth of feeling but if I see someone who looks like a sensing ditzy blonde, or someone who uses terms like gay and retarted I write them off really quickly.
If you judge ditzy blondes as people you will most likely not relate to and avoid them as a result, or if you judge people who use certain terms as ignorant or unintelligent and avoid them as a result, that can still constitute as factual judgement so long as you don't jump to great conclusions or turn the judgement into a personal one by insulting those types of people. I think the simplistic teachings related to judgement encouraged by the school system ("if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all") give people the wrongful idea that negative judgements are always wrong, which causes a black and white thinking system wherein people will outwardly project a complete lack of judgement but inwardly harbour strong negative emotional reactions, both of which are immature and unhealthy patterns. There is nothing wrong with labelling people in negative ways as long as you don't let that label influence your perception of them in any other areas, much less their whole being. That is when judgement becomes irrational, and inevitably, personal.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm extremely judgemental. And honestly, I'm a pretty good judge of character right off the bat. My opinion can change quickly, though. I never say anything and I still give people the benefit of the doubt, so though it's probably a bad thing, it doesn't typically affect my relationships. It's kind of an objective judgement, though my feelings about the people are more subjective. For example, "She's a good person. I just don't really think we'd be friends..." or "I love him, but he's kind of ruining his life and bringing other people down with him."

Sometimes my friends don't like the way I won't agree that they're doing the right thing when I feel that they're wrong in a situation.

Also, I judge myself really harshly. So there isn't really an outrageous level of arrogance that comes with it. I'm aware of my faults as well as the faults of others. This is my fi working, really. I have strong yet malleable ethics. Because one of my morals involves being open minded. I don't know where these standards come from, but they're just inherent to how I see humanity.

Sometimes I'm too lenient with judging people, actually. I need to realize people are bad news and get away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Recently I've been a lot less judgmental of people than I was, although I do still judge them. Like some other people said, I just try not to express it (actually I usually never do) or let it change how I deal with them.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
I think it's possible that we can be this way. I think it's quite natural for many people who feel they are different from others to be rather judgmental and kind of elitist.

Yet I think a lot of times for INFPs we manage to be both accepting and judgemental at the same time. I"m not quite sure how this works, but it's sort of that we have a clear view of the best and worst about people. And I think that while we can write people off we also often realise when we do this and know that we ought to leave room for them to surprise us. I think that while we may make a judgement, if we end up interacting with someone we have written off and have an opportunity to see the better side of them we aren't likely to stick with our first assumption. We are able to say "I don't like this person" while still being open to being proven wrong.

At least for myself I also notice a kind of divide between a person's actions, words, mannerisms, tastes etc. and what I think of as their essence or soul. I can care about and accept their soul, while not liking interacting with them. While feeling that they are stupid or mean, I can also respect that they are a person, that I don't understand everything about them, and I hope for the best for them.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I'm very judgmental, but only to people who are judging others. I just don't seem to have anything negative to think about someone if I don't think they're causing any harm to anyone, but if they do I have a reminder in my head of the judgment they did towards someone and it doesn't seem to go away. I do get distrusting in people who are being fake, but I don't feel I'm negatively evaluating them other than thinking I should be on my guard around them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I try not to judge people although its often a futile exercise. I prefer to keep things objective and judge actions rather than people.
I never show any of my thought processes though.

I think there are acceptable forms of judging people. But perhaps I should rather call that assessing people. It is a necessary function to determine what I can expect from someone and how I am to behave towards them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
of course, maybe it's some sort of self-defense mechanism to fend off the real judgmental people..
kinda like how a Venus Flytrap only bites when you get too close to it :tongue:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm highly judgmental, especially of those who treat others coldly (even if I envy them at the same time, for that very reason)(not saying I'm not Judgmental of others too just them more so)

oh, and people who write me off as just causing drama.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts