Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time Big Five tests score me as agreeable yet I'm a pretty solid T on the MBTI. I'm just wondering if there are other MBTI Ts who identify with agreeableness as defined by the Big Five. Most of the MBTI T's I've noticed score low on agreeableness.

There is a correlation of agreeableness with MBTI F and a negative correlation with MBTI T.

I read about the subscales under the agreeableness dimension, and I don't see much that necessarily contradicts MBTI thinking.

Here's a summary of the Big Five agreeableness subscales:

Trust. I score high on this. I generally trust others and give others the benefit of the doubt at first. The exception is when they do something to betray that trust.

Cooperativeness: I score very high on this. I don't like conflicts or fighting with others and avoid it if possible. I suspect I'm considerably higher on this dimension than most T's. I also have a strong enneagram type 9 component which contributes.

Altruism: I typically score in the low-average range. It's not that I don't like helping others, it's just that I want to help them on my own terms and not feel like I'm being imposed upon. I often find requests for help an imposition on my own time and energy.

Modesty: I score high on this. I don't see myself as being better than anyone else or worse for that matter. I prefer to see myself as an equal.

Sympathy: I score average to high. I feel bad for the homeless and people who have undergone alot of strife in their lives.

Morality: Again high on this. I prefer to be straightforward with others and I don't think its right to take advantage of others for personal gain. I have a strong conscience and a sense of what's ethically appropriate.

So on 5 of the 6 subscales, I lean towards the agreeable side of things. Yet I score solidly in the T camp on the Myers Briggs because I primarily use logic and objective criteria to make decisions. I'm more comfortable with logic and analysis than with emotions and stuff which I often find confusing and overwhelming.

Is there anyone else who's Big Five scores seem to contradict their MBTI type? How does it play out for you?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The problem here is that the correlators try to map Big 5 directly onto the four MBTI dichotmomies, and while I/E is an obvious match for Extraversion, and S/N to Openness, (and new special MBTI form factor Comfort-Discomfort made to match Neuroticism), the other two actually match Keirsey's directive/informative (Agreeableness) and pragmatic/cooperative (Conscientiousness). These do not always correspond to T/F. For S's they do, but for N's it is actually J/P. (Which is assumed to always be Conscientiousness).

So technically, NTP's should be Agreeable, since they are informative, though on the SLOAN version they usually just come out as whatever corresponds to T, which is assumed to be low on agreeableness. (Likewise, NFJ's might actually be less agreeable, since they are directive).
Berens' "Structure/Motive" might also be another form of agreeableness, with both NF and SP high on that scales, so STP's might have some measure of agreeableness as well.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I remember taking this a while back and argreeableness was near zero. Not that I care though, I am who I am/What you see is what you get.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't think they correlate perfectly. Really, it can be quite logical at times to be an agreeable person, so a Thinker may cultivate an agreeable attitude; and a Feeler may value autonomy & their own needs enough to not be some people-pleasing doormat, and so they may not be extremely agreeable.

As a Fi-dom I usually score around 40% on agreeableness (making me "egocentric"), and my whole Big 5 type is RLUEI, which is supposed to equate to INTP (what I often score on MBTI tests), but I think it's just that I am a bit Fe-tarded, highly introverted (causing a "detached" affect at times), and my values are less about serving people than meeting (what I see as) noble ideas.

Reactions: negativeforce

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think it correlates quite well. Last time I did the Big Five test I scored RCUAI. R = I | U = P | A = F | I = N | 9 = C.

Enneagram type 5 INTP is quite different from enneagram type 9 INTP. I don't find it strange that you come up with A instead of E; T and A can go hand in hand.

wow that must be confusing with all of the letters.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Ts with Fe are probably more likely to score agreable. Fi is less accommodating.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm honestly somewhere in the middle. I don't lean to any extremes. I usually come out as a small e or just an x in place of A/E.

Trust. I score high on this. I generally trust others and give others the benefit of the doubt at first. The exception is when they do something to betray that trust.
I automatically have a guard up with everyone...

Cooperativeness: I score very high on this. I don't like conflicts or fighting with others and avoid it if possible. I suspect I'm considerably higher on this dimension than most T's. I also have a strong enneagram type 9 component which contributes.
I'm fairly cooperative...From my 9w8 fix, I suppose I see no use in making things too complicated. And I know how to make my points while keeping peace

Altruism: I typically score in the low-average range. It's not that I don't like helping others, it's just that I want to help them on my own terms and not feel like I'm being imposed upon. I often find requests for help an imposition on my own time and energy.
This, I score low on also...

Modesty: I score high on this. I don't see myself as being better than anyone else or worse for that matter. I prefer to see myself as an equal.
I prefer to see myself as an equal also. Anything else seems delusional.

Sympathy: I score average to high. I feel bad for the homeless and people who have undergone alot of strife in their lives.
I think I'm fairly sympathetic.

Morality: Again high on this. I prefer to be straightforward with others and I don't think its right to take advantage of others for personal gain. I have a strong conscience and a sense of what's ethically appropriate.
I do have a conscience, but I don't really have strong morals or ethics. I can only see myself as being in the middle on this one.

I'm not sure how people are correlating that with Fe, though. Some of it seems more stereotypically Fi-ish, and some of it doesn't seem Fe-ish or Fi-ish.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
It seems like high Fe users (OK, not like wasted INTPs but rather ENFJs with robust Fe) could correlate with agreeableness or accommodation. Agreeableness also seems like the epitome of enneagram nine.

happiest when giving to others, not self absorbed, wants to carry on traditions of family, not materialistic, modest, serves others, not domineering, overly loyal, not competitive, does not need instant gratification, not controlling, compassionate, sympathetic, sensitive to the needs of others, not manipulative, gets along with others, does not make enemies, not vain, dislikes conflict, constructive, prone to spirituality, can be a doormat, good at taking advice, can be submissive

How is that not enneagram nine?! Anyway, I agree with previous posters - simply because you're an MBTI thinker doesn't mean you're an unapologetic sarcastic dbag 24/7.

The Big 5 apparently prides itself on being independent (psychometrically) among its five variables.

The bulk of academic research and my own research points to only five purely independent personality elements. "Only five" in the sense that every other personality trait will have some correlation to one or more of these five key traits (If anyone discovers any traits that don't, expect to see a Big 6 or higher, but I have not been able to find any). "Independent" in the sense that what you score on one independent element says nothing about what you will score on another independent element. Most personality traits are dependent meaning what you score on one element will predict, to some degree, how you will score on certain other traits.

Barring that, it would be interesting to see how openness (conversely called intellect) correlates with agreeableness or neuroticism and how those interact with the cognitive functions. :crazy:

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are definite correlations. For example, it's very likely that a Big Five S is an MBTI E. BUT as far as agreeableness goes I think it's a bit more up in the air. Feelers might be MORE LIKELY to be accommodating because it has to do with concern for others and cooperation which feelers, especially Fe users, might value more.

But it also has to do with being assertive, competitive, etc, which a thinker (especially an introverted thinker) might not relate to. The dimensions and how they relate to MBTI are explained here.

You'll see that S/R are highly correlated to E/I, and O/U are highly correlated to J/P. N/I are slightly less correlated to S/N, and A/E are only correlated a medium amount to F/T. Feeling and Thinking also have the Limbic and Calm dimension, which has a very low correlation. If you are both Limbic and Accommodating, you're probably an MBTI F, but still not necessarily. It's made even more complicated if you're Calm and Accommodating, or Limbic and Egocentric.

Also, in Big Five you are allowed to be "in the middle" or show no strong preference, unlike MBTI. My Big Five type is technically SCOEI, but if you use the more complex mode of identification it's sxo|E|I. My social and organized preferences are only mild, and my limbic/calm preference is basically 50/50 and is thus an x. You could also be Rcux|I|, or something like that, which would mean no strong preference towards what corresponds to MBTI T or F.

Reactions: Bricolage

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
As stated in my signature, I am RCUAI, or, put into notation, Rxua|I|. This is supposed to translate into INFP. I am an INTJ. (Oh, and by the way, 6s are supposed to be SLxxN, so I fail twice.)

I don't really believe in any correlations / translations claimed between two systems. Sure, they're interesting to look at, but ultimately pointless because any person can easily deviate from it.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,826 Posts
Agreeableness also seems like the epitome of enneagram nine.

happiest when giving to others, not self absorbed, wants to carry on traditions of family, not materialistic, modest, serves others, not domineering, overly loyal, not competitive, does not need instant gratification, not controlling, compassionate, sympathetic, sensitive to the needs of others, not manipulative, gets along with others, does not make enemies, not vain, dislikes conflict, constructive, prone to spirituality, can be a doormat, good at taking advice, can be submissive

How is that not enneagram nine?!
Besides disliking conflict, modest and getting along with others that doesn't work for this 9, who scores as s|C|UEI.

I do not serve others. I am competitive. I am not a doormat, even if from outward impression I'm not asserting anything. And I am not submissive. I'm just not in your face about any of those things. People easily confuse 9s strong desire for peace and harmony, along with the ease of letting go of personal needs as many of the things associated with accommodating however it presumes 9s are more invested than they are and ignores the underlying anger. I think Calm has more traits that are 9ish, although none can directly relate as they're behavioural things which is connected better to MBTI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts