Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so recently my friend brought up to be that Mbti types can change through trauma, or even through stress. But I was wondering, how your personality can actually change? While I was talking to her she explained her thoughts on the villain the joker, after she watched the most recent movie. She said that the joker was originally typed as an INTP, but as he descended into madness he became as almost shadow of myself and morphed into an ESFP.
Now I realize that not all of us are going to become crazy in the same manner as the Joker. And I'm sure it has been discussed before but could a person be mistyped because of my stress or depression? And how would that manifest?

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
39 Posts
As a rule, your mbti type shouldn't change. This doesn't mean you'll always be the same your whole life; you will change and evolve and the events of your life will definitely shape you in a certain way. There are several explanations, in the theory, for a certain type acting differently than usual, for example developing the tertiary function, or getting caught in a loop, or in the grip of the inferior function. That's to say that there are several growth or stress factors that can affect your behavior, but your cognitive process, which in the end if the focus of mbti, won't be something else entirely... This is, at least, what I understood on the topic
And yeah you could be mistyped when under stress or when going through a hard time or if you are in the loop, especially when someone is in their teens it's not hard to mistype yourself because your growth is not complete
You also have to always keep in mind that, being a theory, mbti won't totally fit perfectly into reality most of the times: your function stack won't probably be exactly what's supposed to and you won't probably fit 100% the description of your type

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,850 Posts
I hear a lot of people say they changed types over the years. It's not possible.
I hear most people (particularly the laymen) say this regarding introversion/extroversion. And it's a lack of understanding regarding what introversion/extroversion means. An extrovert can be shy.
For the true MBTI aficionados who think like this - I think many just can't handle the fact that they might have mistyped at some point.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a rule, your mbti type shouldn't change. This doesn't mean you'll always be the same your whole life; you will change and evolve and the events of your life will definitely shape you in a certain way. There are several explanations, in the theory, for a certain type acting differently than usual, for example developing the tertiary function, or getting caught in a loop, or in the grip of the inferior function. That's to say that there are several growth or stress factors that can affect your behavior, but your cognitive process, which in the end if the focus of mbti, won't be something else entirely... This is, at least, what I understood on the topic
And yeah you could be mistyped when under stress or when going through a hard time or if you are in the loop, especially when someone is in their teens it's not hard to mistype yourself because your growth is not complete
You also have to always keep in mind that, being a theory, mbti won't totally fit perfectly into reality most of the times: your function stack won't probably be exactly what's supposed to and you won't probably fit 100% the description of your type
Interesting. I wasn't talking about myself or anything I was just wondering what is the most distorted version of your mbti type and what would it look like? Would you be mistyped as something else? Or would it be an entirely different thing? If you get what I'm saying

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
322 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on what method of personality analysis you abide by.

I personally like the four sides model, as it can give a general description of how your personality can change based on the context you are in. According to this model, each person actually has four distinct personalities, where they are all tied to a primary one (and you can only have one primary type). It would explain why some people feel that they have multiple MBTI types, when that is not necessarily the case.

Some people have issues with this theory, but every system is not without faults or inhibitions. Just be careful on not trying to fit your personality into a box, it should be the other way around.

Take me for example, my primary personality is an INFJ.
The subconcious part of my mind is an ESTP, and is primarily activated by my inferior function, extroverted sensing.
So at least according to the model, when I am in situations which require a whole bunch of reactions to external stimuli, I tend to become cocky, efficient, and prone to getting bogged down in the details of whatever I am doing. This is where I tend to get "tunnel vision".
I have noticed this when I am at work. I will often work for extreme lengths of time before taking a break, in order to just get the job done.

Whenever I become too focused on what other people want, I go to my unconcious side, where I become an unhealthy ENFP.
I tend to become very unsure over my own feelings, what other people think, and I tend to get very explosive over my subjective experiences (Which explains the INFJ "doorslam").

Finally, when I get too explosive and negative over my past experiences, I turn into an domineering ISTJ.
I become a huge hypocrite, controlling over other people, and I have a lack of ambition to do anything about it.

That is just one example out of 16. I find that a person's personality type is a lot more complicated than most people give it credit to be. Do some research, you might be pleasantly suprised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts