Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a new job, schedule, etc, has pretty much changed how I view myself.
I do not see much of my personality changing, but being more self-aware. (Just because I am able to watch myself adapt to new experiences.)

Is this normal, or am I just over-analyzing.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
Who knows, maybe this changes your readout on MBTI tests, since they seem to measure behavioral tendencies, and behavior changes. It is always significant in your life to become more self-aware, too.

In a cognitive-functional sense, though, you may just be developing one or some of your functions more. If you are truly an INFJ, which uses Ni as a dominant function, perhaps your Ni is growing with you as you are able to observe yourself better. It sounds quite normal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, all our experiences, old or new, will always contribute to our personal development and growth. whether we realize it or not, nothing ever really leaves us totally unaffected. we always take something from our experiences.

its in times of change like the one you described where we become more self-aware than ever. because you're not used to this new lifestyle, you're bound to be more perceptive, more focused on your surroundings and self. this more keen observation you've developed is your way of trying to learn everything you can about your new lifestyle and how you fit in and try to survive there. with your old schedule, you didn't feel the need to be as observant because you were already adapted, obviously.

you're not overanalysing. it seems that self-perception is just one of the ways in which you try to understand the world: through understanding yourself. thats pretty neato. :)

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
As @Flatlander pointed out these tests tend to be more measures of how you come across socially, your persona, the social roles you play, etc., and not your underlying psychology (which honestly no simple test could easily quantify). So what happens is people may wear a persona or a mask that looks like a certain type, then something happens and it changes to something else. But this doesn't mean that their underlying psychology has changed.

The first step in the process is learning to differentiate the mask from the person. Most people never get that far. They find a description online that fits an already preconceived notion about themselves (which should be a bell ringer that something is wrong because this stuff is really about growth, learning the parts of ourselves for which we were not aware, not confirming something we already thought). Then when life necessitates some change to their environment or their behavior they go "my type changed" and really they've been the same person all along, just playing a new role now. And many (many) people go through life at this superficial level of self-awareness, never really looking past the environmental or superficial aspects.

As was said, if you are starting to view yourself in a more holistic sense that is a great thing.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@LiquidLight is 100% dead on the $! I recognized this a few months into my first explorations into typology that I was typing my persona (it took my twin to point it out, mainly because I tend to overanalyze test questions to begin with), which is basically the silly thing about any online test other than an IQ/EQ test at least - those tests like "which mental disorder are you most likely to come down with", as well as MBTI tests, totally cause a person to operate on preconceptions of themselves just to answer the questions. The mental illness tests make me want to wretch - what kind of idiot believes that the people who take their tests can predict their own disorders? Hah, if ONLY people were really fortunate enough to be able to do this, but that's totally another topic. Anyhow, MBTI and better yet, Jung, is intended to break a person from the fantasy world of themselves - sometimes, I'm honestly amazed at how naive people are who go into this stuff without expecting to learn something new - this isn't necessarily unbelievable, since the tests don't promote themselves in an intellectually credible way at all - it just looks like pop psychology stuff on the internet. It's just comical to watch some people elevate themselves above any intellectual principles of psychology, particularly analytical psychology, which is where Jung lies and declare themselves "experts," by unwittingly knowing how to classify their personas, which most everyone certainly knew how to do before MBTI came along.

Reactions: LiquidLight
1 - 5 of 5 Posts