Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next door neighbor told me the other day that my sense of humor was as dry as the Sahara Desert.

I would describe myself as often being fairly facetious in my interactions with others. I know that most of the time people use the word "facetious" to describe humor that is inappropriate to the situation, but it can also be defined as sarcasm without the intent to offend, which is what I do plenty of. I would perfer to spend time with someone who isn't afraid to laugh at themselves. I am aware of people who have trouble doing this, however, and I would be more careful in these situations.

In some ways, I think that I can also "joke" in a self-deprecating manner, and I really think that this has more to do to self-esteem issues I have had throughout my life. I believe that some people actually pick up on this during these moments and that this doesn't really go over well. :sad:

But despite the fact that my humor can come across as a little "mean", I still have a desire to be a nice guy. :happy:

:unsure:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Who cares if you come across as mean? I guess they just aren't smart enough to get the joke. That's how I make all my friends, people either think I'm hilarious (they become friends) and others think I'm a big dick who sits quietly in the back of the room. People just take life too seriously. For example just today I went on a huge rant on how I'm gonna vote for Obama because he wants change, and I want that too! Plus he's well spoken and good looking, so he will make America look good to other nations. He also is relatively young, so I know he is out for my best interest (also young). Not to mention he's black, so he's just plain cool!

Before you knew it I had a bunch of Republicans crawling down my throat, lol. Just random people from nearby tables overhearing, thinking I'm serious....

I shoulda known better though, I live in Idaho :crazy:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My humor is very dry as well and I love turning what is depressing or gross into a joke. My high school friends and I always laughed at ourselves A LOT. To me it meant we actually thought the opposite of the bad thing we were joking about. It is to the point where if someone does not joke on things I wonder if they actually are disliking those things about me and following the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule. I love smart ass sarcasm. I don't ever want it to leave my life. The only exception is one needs to be able to be serious every once in a while when the situation calls for it. I will not stay close to someone if they cannot talk seriously when serious matters or feelings are involved.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i alternate between extreme sarcasm and extreme enthusiasm... while sometimes this is confusing for my audience, i prefer to think of it as separating the wheat from the chaff.:tongue:

and as someone who uses sarcasm rather freely and is still sensitive and nice, i really think you can be dry as well as kind. its context, tone, delivery, and audience that make a difference.

so yes, i think one can be a nice smartass.

·
Registered
298 Posts
agreed, others consider my humor very dry, witty, sarcastic, coldhearted, etc.

i love my humor. i think i'm hilarious. sometimes people take me too seriously, or get offended, but they get over it. it's just how i am.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think you can be a "smartass" and do it humorously too. I mean look at videos of George Carlin (rip) - he would be typically pointing out all kinds of stupid things people do and he would still made his audience laugh. The trick is in making sure your audience enjoys your jokes too, not just yourself. A joke can be funny to you, but if it is not funny to others then all you will see if people shrug their shoulders or give you the stare. Now this I think is really an art that separates people who are said to have a sense of humor from people at whose jokes nobody laughs. Sometimes I see people post something along the lines of "nobody gets my humor! people don't understand me!!". Well yeah, if you didn't bother to consider your audience before making a joke of course they aren't going to 'get' it. If you want your humor to be funny to others then you have to make it be so in the first place. If you want others to understand you, you have to bother to understand them back so to say. But then of course you can always opt out to make a joke just for your own pleasure.

On this scale my sense of humor is rather selfish and can really be compared to trolling done exclusively for my own lolz - saying something bizarre or contrary with completely serious face to see if the other person will pick up on it. Often times it is something normal people would find offensive, politically inappropriate, selfish/assholish. I also enjoy double entendres, the more meanings conveyed the better, and the fewer words used in process even better still. Somebody says one word that can be interpreted in several humorous ways - that will really catch my attention. Sometimes it is something with abrupt ending, for example I would be following one line of reasoning speaking very seriously and then suddenly switch direction and make some statement at the end that makes no sense. Then pause and watch (ehehehe). I guess some of this fits the definition of irony. Luckily there are people in this world who pick up on it (<3 ENTPs) but there are also those who don't get it at all (*cough*ISTJs*cough*). Sometime I like a bit of physical humor and over-exaggerated/overblown hyperbole kind of humor - that inferior Se peeking through. Sarcasm and witty repartee I see as more of a realm of INTJs/ENTJs because as I see it Te is the master of pointing out illogical things in outside environment or making one-upping statements concerning others.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I tend to take everything literally (thanks to Asperger's) but when I'm aware of the connotation meant and I'm feeling silly I will take the statement literally anyway, and carry on with the stupid routine.

I have my moments of razor sharp wit, but for the most part I like to act like a complete dummy to either amuse or aggrovate people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts