Personality Cafe banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm a 96 kid, and shared my years of school with 97 kids. I definitely relate so much more to early noughties / 90s childhood and honestly most kids in my year didn't grow up with social media. Although most in my year group had it earlier than me, I only joined twitter when I was already 15 and had done most of my growing up, and I've still never joined Facebook, never will.

I think maybe 98/99 kids will feel more attached to social media as smartphones started popularising in their pre-teens, but I was already getting through secondary school by the time people were using smartphones. Good old days when my pink slide phone was super trendy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was born late 89 and my childhood ran from the mid 90s to early 00s, but I mostly consider myself a 90s kid with some 00s overlap. That is the phrasing that I would use. I would never actually call myself a 00s kid, because I wasn’t much of one, actually. I feel the same way about people born in the late 90s. The 99ers might have some early 10s overlap, but I consider them 00s kids

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think maybe 98/99 kids will feel more attached to social media as smartphones started popularising in their pre-teens, but I was already getting through secondary school by the time people were using smartphones. Good old days when my pink slide phone was super trendy.
Not necessarily. Speaking as a '99er myself, I wouldn't say that we would be any more attached to social media than people only a few years older/younger than us. When smartphones exploded in popularity during the very early years of the 2010s, social media adaption rates increased for people of all ages, not just pre-teens. They truly changed the way people went about their lives, it wasn't an age-related thing. Social media went from being something that people would spend maybe 30 mins/1 hour a day on their PC, to something that is at the touch of their fingertips 24/7.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not necessarily. Speaking as a '99er myself, I wouldn't say that we would be any more attached to social media than people only a few years older/younger than us. When smartphones exploded in popularity during the very early years of the 2010s, social media adaption rates increased for people of all ages, not just pre-teens. They truly changed the way people went about their lives, it wasn't an age-related thing. Social media went from being something that people would spend maybe 30 mins/1 hour a day on their PC, to something that is at the touch of their fingertips 24/7.
I know what you mean but age is still a factor, though I think 90s kids in general come from a similar perspective. For instance it took until I was 15 before I got social media, and 16 until I got a smartphone, so I don't feel like it was a defining part at all in my growing up or my school life.

My mother is a teacher at college, currently teaching 16-17 year olds (mid noughties kids round about?) and she does point out the quite noticeable difference between first year students from a few years ago and first year students now, who definitely have this "I'm invincible because I have a platform and want to expose people who are successful" kind of attitude that social media gives. :|

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may seem controversial,however I see a lot of early 2010s influence when it comes to people from born 1997-1999. For one I see people born in 1997-1999 relating more to people born 2000-2003/04 more than people born from 1994-1996. Another reason is that they don't remember a time without Social Media being a huge part of our lives.They also can't remember a time before YouTube. Another reason is becasue people born from 1997-1999 would've been strictly toddlers until atleast 2004, and wouldn't have clear memories until atleast 2005 or 2006 and technology by then was already advancing rapidly to where it was during the early 2010s. What do you think. Can people born from 1997-1999 be considered as partial 2010s kids?
I read your other posts and i understand you are trying to differentiate mid 90 babies and late 90 babies. A 1997 born is not at all different from a 1996 born. 1996 borns can also relate people born in early 2000s.
Now come to the point, 1997 hit teenage in 2010 which disqualifies to be an early 10s kid. Next point, "people born from 1997-1999 wold've been strictly toddlers until atleast 2004". Really? A 5 yearold is a Toddler?? I don't think so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a 96 kid, and shared my years of school with 97 kids. I definitely relate so much more to early noughties / 90s childhood and honestly most kids in my year didn't grow up with social media. Although most in my year group had it earlier than me, I only joined twitter when I was already 15 and had done most of my growing up, and I've still never joined Facebook, never will.
The average age to start social media is 13-15 at that time. Because this is the age where they can own a phone.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,156 Posts
uh what am I doing here?

On behalf of my uh gen z offspring I say no, this is technically incorrect.

People born in the late 90's are noughties kids through and through.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,156 Posts
This may seem controversial,
yes
however I see a lot of early 2010s influence when it comes to people from born 1997-1999.
being influenced is a condition of living so going off this logic you've proposed, someone born before 1997 would have been already dead by the early 2010's
For one I see people born in 1997-1999 relating more to people born 2000-2003/04 more than people born from 1994-1996.
people don't relate solely on DOB
Another reason is that they don't remember a time without Social Media being a huge part of our lives.
speak for yourself! uh, my child does! it didn't know what a facebook was till the late 00's.
They also can't remember a time before YouTube.
yeah right, bish spew that bs somewhere else. I grew up watching MTV and CN i mean my child did, are you calling me an irresponsible parent?!
Another reason is becasue people born from 1997-1999 would've been strictly toddlers until atleast 2004,
certainly not out of question, well in your case at least
and wouldn't have clear memories until atleast 2005 or 2006
you say? well you must have been a toddler in 2006 then because social media was not an 'it' thing in 2006.
and technology by then was already advancing rapidly to where it was during the early 2010s.
2007 iphone didnt have an app store and you must be some bigwigs offspring to think that every child of that age had access to an expensive af phone, everyone had blackberries!!!! i was like one of a few who had an iphone and that was in 2011!!!!!!!!1 i was not a 'kid' by then, tell that to someone born in 1990-1993 they'll push you down a flight stairs if you dare say to them that they're a noughties kid and here I am not even born in the noughties proudly claiming to be a noughties kid bish you lost your mind!

·
Registered
543 Posts
yesbeing influenced is a condition of living so going off this logic you've proposed, someone born before 1997 would have been already dead by the early 2010'speople don't relate solely on DOB speak for yourself! uh, my child does! it didn't know what a facebook was till the late 00's. yeah right, bish spew that bs somewhere else. I grew up watching MTV and CN i mean my child did, are you calling me an irresponsible parent?! certainly not out of question, well in your case at least you say? well you must have been a toddler in 2006 then because social media was not an 'it' thing in 2006. 2007 iphone didnt have an app store and you must be some bigwigs offspring to think that every child of that age had access to an expensive af phone, everyone had blackberries!!!! i was like one of a few who had an iphone and that was in 2011!!!!!!!!1 i was not a 'kid' by then, tell that to someone born in 1990-1993 they'll push you down a flight stairs if you dare say to them that they're a noughties kid and here I am not even born in the noughties proudly claiming to be a noughties kid bish you lost your mind!
true

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 iphone didnt have an app store and you must be some bigwigs offspring to think that every child of that age had access to an expensive af phone, everyone had blackberries!!!! i was like one of a few who had an iphone and that was in 2011!!!!!!!!1 i was not a 'kid' by then, tell that to someone born in 1990-1993 they'll push you down a flight stairs if you dare say to them that they're a noughties kid and here I am not even born in the noughties proudly claiming to be a noughties kid bish you lost your mind!
Thats true. Smartphones era begins in 2011 and peaked at 2012 - 2013. So the last who can remember a pre-smartphone era are born in 2006/2007 which is 9 - 10 years younger than 1997 born.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts