·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, ofc why shouldnt they? Pepole with schizotypal personality disorder for example have an higher risk to some time in there lifetime get one psychosis or some sort of psychotic disorder like schizophrenia (changed reality with symtoms like hallucinations, delusions, thought disorder plus disorganized speech and thoughts might also occur.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was under the impression that persons with Cluster B disorders don't have delusions; Do they?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I was under the impression that persons with Cluster B disorders don't have delusions; Do they?

For people with borderline it is common with psychotic symtoms like hallucinations, delousions. So yes, at least people with borderline in the cluster B of personality disorder can be delousional but I think have read that could narcissists and antosocial also could be delousional/psychosic. Especially narcissists cause of their grandiosity. After googled antisocial and narcissists they both can be psychotic aswell, for example 27 % of the males who have schizophrenia and 17 % of females met the criteria for APD (antisocial personality disorder).

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For people with borderline it is common with psychotic symtoms like hallucinations, delousions. So yes, at least people with borderline in the cluster B of personality disorder can be delousional but I think have read that could narcissists and antosocial also could be delousional/psychosic. Especially narcissists cause of their grandiosity. After googled antisocial and narcissists they both can be psychotic aswell, for example 27 % of the males who have schizophrenia and 17 % of females met the criteria for APD (antisocial personality disorder).
Really? Are they in any way similar to the delusions and hallucinations of say someone suffering from Bipolar 1?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Really? Are they in any way similar to the delusions and hallucinations of say someone suffering from Bipolar 1?
In general bipolar type 1 just experiencing major depression, and mania. But some people who are bipolar type 1 can get psychotic aswell, most common while if they are in a manic episode and can get delusions like grandiose delusions for example believe they are god. And grandiose delusions is quite common for people with personality disorder in cluster B.
Hard question.
But delusions and the symtoms in general for example just for people who have schizophrena is really varius. Some struggle just with negative symtoms like apathy, not feeling happiness, social withdrawal, no engagement for different activities they just to enjoy etc. And some people struggle with positive symtoms like hallucinations and delusions, and hard figure whats real and whats not and / deeling with the voices in their head.
But the delusions for people with bipolar type 1, and delusional disorder, tend to have less severe and less bizzarre delusions than people with schizophrenia.

5,146 Posts
I don't think particular disorders are needed for one to suffer from delusions.

Normies commonly form various delusions to avoid research for topics they don't know about.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think particular disorders are needed for one to suffer from delusions.

Normies commonly form various delusions to avoid research for topics they don't know about.
But that's not what I was asking; I wanted to know if delusions could be a part of certain personality disorders; namely cluster Bs and @edge magic answered that.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you possibly elaborate more on the delusions and hallucinations a borderline might experience?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You mean..like psychosis right? Yeah...i mean anti social behavior is kind of a spectrum..not to mention the fact that some people that have cluster b symptoms might have other things wrong (high levels of lead in the blood, brain injury,cte etc..)..but I think most high functioning cases are otherwise healthy, aside from occasional impulsive and of course total lack of empathy.
That's the key to remember it's not like they have some special power, its the fact they have nothing regulating their manipulation/internal desires

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have traits of Borderline and am currently pushing for a diagnosis. I've suffered with two full blown psychotic episodes twice, both drug induced, but can often get what I call "psychosis lite" sometimes even sober where I think everybody in the room is hatching a plan to harm me or humiliate me. And I had this before my addictions. Definitely a pre-disposition there and can only speak for myself.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes of course.

I would even go as far to argue that people with significantly underdeveloped and/or unhealthy personalities tend to lean towards having a skewed perspective of reality that by my opinion can be considered a low resolution version of a delusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts