Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Meyers-Briggs in high school and was a strong INTJ. I served in the military for 5 years, was married, and went trough some pretty rough times, last year I was diagnosed with PTSD. Now when I take online personality tests, they tend to label me INTP.

I still identify more with the typical traits of INTJs, but some of the symptoms of PTSD are similar to the stereotypical strengths and weaknesses of INTPs. Easily distracted, hyper awareness, heightened perception. I can easily spot patterns in people's behavior that I was oblivious to before, I can tell when someone is up to no good, when they're carrying a weapon, when they're angry, depressed, nervous, even if they try to hide it, and I can spot lies pretty effectively.

I'm more confident than a typical INTP though, I don't defer to the judgment of others unless they've earned my respect or admiration. I in no way avoid conflict.

So did my personality type change, or have I just learned a few new tricks?

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
First, the types are simply observed behavior. They are not behavior determnants.
Your test - determined type can change that much simply from your military service. Actually, a hangover probably would cause an indicated type change.

But these things are not part of you. They have less reality than your shirt size. They are behavior patterns observed in specific circumstances. You are in control of that behavior, based on your personal values, experiences, current circumstances - and surely five years in the military will propoundly change a person's outlook.
Don't wory about it. And thank you for your service. Be sure to chectk for veteran's discounts - I know Lowe's has a 10% discount upon presenting a valid veteran's ID.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.