Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Naimly, I had an unpleasant experience with a person who I believe is a sociopath, but when I was reading the descriptions of different kind of MBTI personality types I figured that he might as well very well fit in the INTJ stereotype. So here are some of his characteristics that I believe are INTJ:

1. very deep and philosophical
2. loves discussing about ideas
3. strategic
4. loves playing chess
5. played judo
6. competant
7. pursues a Phd
8. very intelligent
9. argumentative

Some of his characteristic that I believe are sociopathic:

1. lying
2. manipulating
3. using pity ploy
4. inventing illnesses
5. appears to be depressed, very sensitive, emotional, vulnerable with low self esteem (which is unlikely for an INTJ as I heard?)
6. very good verbally and in conversation
7. always has to be right

What do you think?

Do sociopaths also have an MBTI type or are they excluded from it because of their abnormality?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is a more accurate description for sociopathy. Profile of the Sociopath Also, you can always look it up in the DSMIV if you really want to know. I was amused at first by your comparing INTJ's to sociopaths. They are different-obviously. But i dated an INTJ for quite a long time and we used to joke about him being one because of his lack of emotion sometimes. INTJ's can feel deeply. It's just different. Sociopaths feel nothing.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's hard to tell how stongly it relates to normal personality. But Psychopathy (which seems more or less identical to sociopathy) has two basic characteristics: impulsivity and lack of empathy. The first part relates to EXXP. Lack of empathy is sometimes found in IXTPs. So I guess XXTP might be the closest match. This accords well with a large study on sexual behavior that was done with the Big Five.
It showed that low Agreeability and low Conscientiousness correlate with infidelity. Roughly translated to MBTI that would make the XXTP the biggest cheater.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought it was understood that sociopaths are INTPs. Not saying all INTPs are sociopaths, just the sociopaths of the world are usually INTP from my observations.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a strong connection between the two. If one personality type were more likely to be anti-social than another, I'm also more inclined to suspect the INTP over the INTJ simply because people who have ASPD lack the ability to create realistic goals or do anything productive. There are plenty of exceptions, though.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Well, sociopaths still have thought processes, so the answer is yes.

On top of that, the only confirmed sociopath I've met in real life (as in, actually diagnosed, and not just someone I have suspicions -however justified- of their condition) is an ENTP.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
As far as I know, sociopaths NEVER seem depressed or sad. They always seem serious or happy, but never sad. That is what I have learned, however, and so it may be wrong.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Ah. I don't think I've ever met one. I hear they can blend in quite well. lol.
Statistically speaking, you probably have. However, it's unlikely that you, or anyone, would know it from just casual acquaintance; sociopaths spend their entire lives learning how to blend in with everyone else, because it makes it easier to take advantage of people when they don't suspect a thing.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Statistically speaking, you probably have. However, it's unlikely that you, or anyone, would know it from just casual acquaintance; sociopaths spend their entire lives learning how to blend in with everyone else, because it makes it easier to take advantage of people when they don't suspect a thing.
O_O so anyone I know right now might be plotting something?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
O_O so anyone I know right now might be plotting something?
Isn't paranoia fun? Pretty much anyone you've come into contact with over your lifetime might be a sociopath...

Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll only bother you if they think you've got something they want. Plus, non-sociopaths are just as capable of screwing you over without remorse; it's just that for sociopaths, it's a lifestyle.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Isn't paranoia fun? Pretty much anyone you've come into contact with over your lifetime might be a sociopath...

Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll only bother you if they think you've got something they want. Plus, non-sociopaths are just as capable of screwing you over without remorse; it's just that for sociopaths, it's a lifestyle.
I am lucky to have nothing of value and a sucky personality.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Well... yea... O_O
Oh... well, like I said, I don't think you need to worry; there are enough of them around that you already know at least a couple. You probably even get along pretty well with them, and if you're willing to look a bit deeper into what someone wants in a given situation, you might even be able to see exactly what they're up to.

No worries. You're still alive. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.