Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I think I'm stuck in the Ti/Ni loop a lot these days..unless I have it all wrong?
Anyway let me give you a typical situation.

It all starts with me wanting to tell a friend something VERY personal about myself. So I start thinking hmmm I think I will feel more "close" to this friend if I tell him X. Then I start to imagine that he would reject me. So I think again, no heck what am I thinking ! I cannot tell him ! Then I'm back at..but I need to tell him because I feel that I need to...then back at thinking of telling him...then back at no I can't he will do this and that.

So this goes on for DAYS AND DAYS AND DAYS and I almost drive myself insane. Is this a Ti/Ni loop ? And also I can't stop it because I'm not using Se and actually just damn telling him ? Or ? yeah sorry still trying to figure it all out.

Thanks !

·
Registered
745 Posts
It could actually be an extreme form of Ti-Si, making @Tenshi_rdk an INTP. I don't recognize the loop taking this form in an ISTP, although I have to admit my lack of omniscience.
Where are you seeing Si?

My view on it is like this:
He wants to tell his friend something personal in order to be a "closer"/better friend (Fe). Ni predicts rejection, negative scenarios, and bad results that freak out Fe. But then Fe persists that he should still tell his friend....loop ensue. I'm sure Ti and Si could come into play somewhere since no one is stuck with four functions, especially if he had a bad experience in the past where telling a friend something personal led to a bad outcome.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Where are you seeing Si?

He wants to tell his friend something personal in order to be a "closer"/better friend (Fe). Ni predicts rejection, negative scenarios, and bad results that freak out Fe. But then Fe persists that he should still tell his friend....loop ensue. I'm sure Ti and Si could come into play somewhere since no one is stuck with four functions, especially if he had a bad experience in the past where telling a friend something personal led to a bad outcome.
The Fe part is a common denominator between INTP and ISTP. Si gone wrong looks a lot like what you describe: Ti ignores any information on potential positive outcomes from Ne, but uses all of the Ne fantasy to conjure up new versions of old failures from Si. Also, at least according to my experience, ISTPs tend to take the fight internally, while INTPs are more likely to feel a need to talk to others to solve their problems.
Again: I might be way off target here, but that's my gut feeling.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you seeing Si?

You are very right in the regard that this same thing has had a VERY BAD outcome. Lost the friend.
And as to be being INTP..its possible. When I did the test it got 1% for sensing. However I've done multiple tests afterwards and always land on ISTP ,also I can see 80% of myself in ISTP and only like 30% in INTP.,, perhaps some mix..

·
Registered
235 Posts
You are very right in the regard that this same thing has had a VERY BAD outcome. Lost the friend.
And as to be being INTP..its possible. When I did the test it got 1% for sensing. However I've done multiple tests afterwards and always land on ISTP ,also I can see 80% of myself in ISTP and only like 30% in INTP.,, perhaps some mix..
I have very similar test results to you; It could be that you, like me, have strong Se and Si, and not especially strong Ni, which may confuse tests

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm ok , I have read some more and realized I do also have a similar loop at the moment with one of my friends.
Let me tell you the story and you can tell me if its a loop or not.
Ok so basically I told him one day that we should hang out and he blew me off again for the 10th time, so I told him "dude you are going to lose your friends". He took this very badly ( but didnt tell me ). The next day when I said hello to his girlfriend on internet she crapped me out from left to right and told me what a BAD friend I am, and how DARE i put so much pressure on him about losing his friends when he is so busy trying to make a living. I was shocked to say the least. I didn't type anything back to her or him. Its been 2 months now and I keep thinking I need to talk to the dude, but I also think the friendship is not worth it because if he cared he would have asked where I am. So either he doesn't care or he is still angry...or REALLY REALLY BUSY. I have known him for 14 years now and NEVER had problems till his GF came along.

So yes i keep thinking that there is something wrong with me these days because im doing SOMETHING to chase people away, but then I also think, but no I controlled myself to say NOTHING bad to her or him. I have been a great friend actually or have I ? Lol so very confused and just waiting till he finally calls again someday.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I controlled myself to say NOTHING bad to her or him. I have been a great friend actually or have I ?
From your point of view? Nope, you did nothing wrong. You pointed out behavior that was unpleasant so he could change it.
From his point of view? You were telling him he was unlikable and had to change himself to suit you. How dare you do such a thing?

Miscommunications are common for ISTPs, and if this sort of thing happens with your friends the best thing to do is get in there as soon as you realise they took it the wrong way, apologise, and make it very clear that you are just concerned about how often he has had to miss appointments. Well, either that or decide if he can't take what you're saying as what you mean you don't want him as a friend. Either way, I'm sorry to say its probably been too long to get back to where you were with your friend.

Also, I don't have a clue if its a loop or not.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From your point of view? Nope, you did nothing wrong. You pointed out behavior that was unpleasant so he could change it.
From his point of view? You were telling him he was unlikable and had to change himself to suit you. How dare you do such a thing?

Miscommunications are common for ISTPs, and if this sort of thing happens with your friends the best thing to do is get in there as soon as you realise they took it the wrong way, apologise, and make it very clear that you are just concerned about how often he has had to miss appointments. Well, either that or decide if he can't take what you're saying as what you mean you don't want him as a friend. Either way, I'm sorry to say its probably been too long to get back to where you were with your friend.

Also, I don't have a clue if its a loop or not.
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm I never thought of him maybe thinking "that I am telling him that I dont want him as a friend literally". Gosh I guess I really just need to fess up and talk to the guy and explain whats bothering me, and HE must also spit out what I'm doing wrong. Because him saying he is just "busy" is BS to be honest, because I know otherwise. He is on facebook all the time, on xbox all the time and always with his girl. That's not BUSY... that's avoiding or wanting to be alone. So if he tells me "dude I just wanna be alone" I will understand that. But lying to me and saying he is busy, leaves my mind to think of all the nasty things and scenarios of what I'm doing wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts