Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've identified my type. However, I seem to have traits of both potential wings. Is it possible or likely that I display both wings equally?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I believe it's called having balanced wings. The best way to find out is actually take the test.

Reactions: Heuristyx

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Eh, people seem to underestimate the power of wings. A wing changes the personality in a pretty dramatic way.

Having "close" or balanced wings is a possible, but quite rare; It'll never be a 50/50 split, wings are the focus of your main type (sort of how you go about your motivation).

Also, Enneagram tests are bullshit.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Even the one in the RHETI book?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yes, if they are a bird.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Not sure of the books, but the online ones are laugh worthy.
lol I know, I've gotten so many different ones (4,6,7,5,8,9) yet the RHETI is always the same no matter how many times I take it.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
As with the MBTI, there's a point of predictability with knowledge. Self-bias as well, if you identify with something and know how it works, aware or not, you'll fudge results.

Tests are looking for too much, they over-analyze a basic motivation. The complex part is how you deal and act with your motivation, not what the motivation actually is.

Take tests really lightly, they aren't even that good as a base.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
When I first came upon the enneagram it was in a book that described how different types deal with suffering and I thought I was a 7 then but quite unsure, even after doing the RHETI I was unsure but after reading the wings and stackings descriptions I was pretty damn sure, finally. The tritypes help a lot too because it probably explains why I was undecided between 7 and 4.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best way to find out is actually take the test.
I did. Tests never do much for me though, since I end up with varying results depending on my mood, the phases of the moon... whatever it is that skews my results. I use the tests as a guide... kind of.

Yes, if they are a bird.
:crazy:

The tritypes help a lot too because it probably explains why I was undecided between 7 and 4.
Soooooooooo, a tritype is where a person can select 3 Enneagram numbers that they feel they relate to? All of this is speculative and couldn't stand up to any rigorous scientific testing imo, but my opinion of the Enneagram just went down several points if that is the case. :unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, that doesn't sound nearly as silly when you put it like that.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I did the test from a original perspective the way you're supposed to to find your core and then I did a "now" version and it remained basically the same except it was 479 this time, likely because of my life situation. What did change the most are the 2 (formerly the 3rd highest now lowest) being cut in half and 5 (formerly lowest) went up quite a bit. In the book it says if you do it at different periods in your life it can change but the original that you do based on your childhood seems to be the important one.

Soooooooooo, a tritype is where a person can select 3 Enneagram numbers that they feel they relate to? All of this is speculative and couldn't stand up to any rigorous scientific testing imo, but my opinion of the Enneagram just went down several points if that is the case. :unsure:
It's not selecting when you take one from the 3 triads that you scored highest on in the test. I don't know about the other way when you chose by reading, though it does seem that way doesn't it lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I first came upon the enneagram it was in a book that described how different types deal with suffering and I thought I was a 7 then but quite unsure, even after doing the RHETI I was unsure but after reading the wings and stackings descriptions I was pretty damn sure, finally. The tritypes help a lot too because it probably explains why I was undecided between 7 and 4.
You should definitely find out about enneagream misidentifications because many types share traits, or you may be in a security or stress point. Also, try to answer questions in relation to how you've been most of your life, not at the given moment and you should start to see the same 3 types amongst the highest in levels.:wink:

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what I did :happy: It was interesting to compare the most of my life version to the now version, and it was definitely done at a stress point and I imagine a lot of my answers have more to do with physical issues like risk taking behaviour and energy levels. I looked at misidentifications before because I thought there had to be a mistake lol. The 3rd highest after 7 and 4 was 2 in the most of my life version and now it's been halved and 5 was the lowest now it went up quite a bit, since 4 went up slightly I imagined that my life situation and past stressful experiences has everything to do with the 7w6 4w3 9w1 to 4w3 7w6 9w1w8w shift. If I didn't have the physical issues I'm sure the 7w6 would still be prominent. Lessening the physical issue has helped me come back to life a bit too and back to my natural 7-ness. And finally my MBTI and Oldham match my enneagram. Yay! :happy: Couldn't figure out MBTI until I had help with the functions and basically my life story lol.

Reactions: Teardrop

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Good, i'm glad things are sorted out!
Thanks, me too! :crazy: It's like self-actualization when you figure things like that out after years of wondering who you really are and what you really want and get out of the mould you didn't fit into. Did it take you long to figure yours out too?

Reactions: Teardrop

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, me too! :crazy: It's like self-actualization when you figure things like that out after years of wondering who you really are and what you really want and get out of the mould you didn't fit into. Did it take you long to figure yours out too?
I mean I'm definitely a 1,3 and 8 but at first I kept being typed as a 9 but I guess that's because 9's are at the top of the enneagram spectrum and can posses any traits of the others (such as the assertiveness of the 8 or the ambition of the 3). For me it took contemplation and just reading the descriptions before I one just clicked with me and I typed myself.

You're right it was a great relief of self-actualization because I felt I was right and good the way I was! :happy: (1s always want to be good) and I didn't have to pretend to be something I wasn't (3's always live in self-images).

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I mean I'm definitely a 1,3 and 8 but at first I kept being typed as a 9 but I guess that's because 9's are at the top of the enneagram spectrum and can posses any traits of the others (such as the assertiveness of the 8 or the ambition of the 3). For me it took contemplation and just reading the descriptions before I one just clicked with me and I typed myself.

You're right it was a great relief of self-actualization because I felt I was right and good the way I was! :happy: (1s always want to be good) and I didn't have to pretend to be something I wasn't (3's always live in self-images).
I read that 9's mistype a lot too so I had to make sure myself having a 9 in my tritype and just because I felt so uncertain if I was right or if that's who I was. I think my 4 (and my counsellor who thought I was a 4, she only has known me while with problems not me before them so it's no wonder) was showing my identity crisis lol. I think 7's seem to want to be liked by everyone. Likely more with the 6 wing since I don't know much about 8's, and 4's want to be distinct individuals so it's quite a quandary lol. I think I got it figured out now since I'm doing my thing and people seem to accept me now. Yay! Now that I figured my MBTI as well I feel quite fulfilled and am comfortable in my own shoes and wearing them in front of everyone. It helps to know you're not the only one in the world with your "quirks" lol :happy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts