Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can help me by explaining NiFi loops to me. I think i am in a NiFi loop right now and it sucks. My Fi is really developed and its getting in the way. I keep questioning my type. I used to think i was infj, but i found out that i'm an isfp in a NiFi loop. Can someone explain this to me and how to get out of a NiFi loop?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was wondering if someone can help me by explaining NiFi loops to me. I think i am in a NiFi loop right now and it sucks. My Fi is really developed and its getting in the way. My Se is the least developed out of everything and i believe that's from the NiFi loop. Because of it i'm questioning me being an isfp. I keep questioning my type. I used to think i was infj, but i found out that i'm an isfp in a NiFi loop. Can someone explain this to me and how to get out of a NiFi loop?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have lived a Fi/Ni loop most of my post-teenage life, if I am correct in what it is. Basically an existential crisis.

Life is meaningless (Ni), so you can't connect to people who enjoy little things (Fi), then you feel bad (Fi), think up a thousand different possibilities to how to make life meaningful (Ni), there is no answer and you still feel bad (Fi), so life must be meaningless (Ni), so you can't connect to people who enjoy little things (Fi), then you feel bad (Fi), repeat until you are 60 and realize you wasted your life. Ta da!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Fi/Ni looping is projecting doom and gloom feelings onto the present because of an ominous looking future. It is a tendency to take in no new information via Se, and only focusing on information already brought in, and seeing it in the worst possible light. It is also fabricating information with Ni to support what Fi feels is true, even if there is no evidence to support it via Se or Te, or only evidence that supports the loop is seen and taken in.

The way to break out of a loop is to use your auxiliary function more. In other words, Se. Te also works. You'd use Te to use objective logic on Se information, rather than focusing on Se information that supports the loop. Using Se alone, you'd just engage in Se activities that will let you forget about the loop and put you in a better mood and therefore better condition to deal with the world in a more objective fashion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks :D. I've been noticing that my Fi is over developed. Sometimes i feel like it is getting in the way. Heres an example. If i have to describe something i can't do it without making it all mushy. Everything i write ends up sounding cheesy to me. ZOMG its getting in the way!!!

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I'm not sure if I buy the loops thing, grip of the inferior seems more appropriate imo as an explanation to why "life has no purpose" arises in an ISFP, critizicing self and everything else. A healthy dominant Fi recognizes the spiritual essence in humans, and the inferior Te is the opposite, taking away the subjective nature of the inner essence or soul that is by definition unquantifiable and therefore disregarded by the grip of the objective, but highly immature Te in ISFPs.

I was really into sex (supposedly Se) when I was in a ""loop"", but that didn't help me one bit. Reconnecting with myself instead of running away from my feelings however, did.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,825 Posts
I think both the grip and loops are relevant and describe different problems.
As @Inguz said the grip is about denying your emotions and values and taking shelter in your inferior Te.
It is triggered by massive stress.

The loop is about not paying attention to Se or Te enough and instead letting Ni run rampant spotting
patterns without any facts to back it up. Since Fi is the taskmaster and the patterns is about people
and how you relate to them you start seeing things that aren't there and becoming paranoid.
The way out is a mix of Se and Te. You need to get your facts straight.
you can either go experience the fact for yourself Se or consult a reliable source Te.
When you do one of those the paranoia instantly vaporizes, cause you see how silly you have been.
The loop can drive you into the grip as it creates massive stress, however once the grip is over
if the loop is unsolved, you will go at it again and again and again.... XD
Hope that helps.
Btw I was in a deep deep Ni/Fi hole a couple of years back!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bumping this thread because I want to know exactly how one uses Te to help get out of this horrible loop.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bumping this thread because I want to know exactly how one uses Te to help get out of this horrible loop.
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that one would use Te by making lists and getting out and doing stuff.

If your Ni-Fi loop is brought about by sitting around pondering the futility of existence, then surely the act of setting some goals and getting out and achieving them shuts down the endless cycle of questioning, questioning, questioning...

I would also think that utilising Se would be a great way - it is hard to be endlessly stuck in a nihilistic loop of pondering life's meaninglessness when you're jumping out of a plane or running a marathon (okay, so these are extremes, but activity in the present moment...anything active...).

I know that when I am stuck in a Ni-Ti loop, I endlessly question stupid stuff and try to solve everything to do with the meaning of life and such stuff, but then I remember that this is not the best way for me to avoid depression and anxiety, which is where it all leads. So I, a) engage Fe by doing stuff with other people, or b) go for a long walk, just me and my camera, and photograph the shit out of anything and everything.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that one would use Te by making lists and getting out and doing stuff.

If your Ni-Fi loop is brought about by sitting around pondering the futility of existence, then surely the act of setting some goals and getting out and achieving them shuts down the endless cycle of questioning, questioning, questioning...

I would also think that utilising Se would be a great way - it is hard to be endlessly stuck in a nihilistic loop of pondering life's meaninglessness when you're jumping out of a plane or running a marathon (okay, so these are extremes, but activity in the present moment...anything active...).

I know that when I am stuck in a Ni-Ti loop, I endlessly question stupid stuff and try to solve everything to do with the meaning of life and such stuff, but then I remember that this is not the best way for me to avoid depression and anxiety, which is where it all leads. So I, a) engage Fe by doing stuff with other people, or b) go for a long walk, just me and my camera, and photograph the shit out of anything and everything.
Thanks for the reply. By any chance, would you happen to understand what an auxiliary function being underdeveloped means? I've heard that the whole loop thing occurs when one's second function is underdeveloped, but how could it be underdeveloped if they've always used it correctly when they weren't in the loop?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why are you asking us to explain it to you if you're experiencing it right now?
I didn't ask "What does an underdeveloped Te act like during NiFi loop?" I asked what causes the Te to be underdeveloped if it's been being used healthily the entire time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Assuming OP has the same intentions as you... by the way, I wasn't talking to you. xD
That figures, considering you didn't quote me. I wasn't sure though, ha.

Reactions: bruh

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was in a Fi-Ni loop last summer and have been just kind of coasting since then. But I recently started doing a lot of Te things that I have previously been completely disinterested in or thought just weren't for me, such as:
- learning about personal finance
- making spreadsheets and a plan for paying off debt
- responding to business e-mails in a matter-of-fact way
- asking for more money
- putting myself out there and even doing sales pitches to people
- making a business plan
- learning about investing

Since I started doing this about 6 weeks ago, I have had some great results professionally. I've broken through blocks I created for myself a long time ago. The topics themselves aren't that fun for me, but exercising my weakest muscle and experiencing a lot of personal growth is REALLY fun for me. I feel like I have incorporated a few splashes of healthy ENTJ mentality into my life, which is giving me balance. Maybe this would be helpful for other ISFPs who are stuck (apply a detached, logical Te approach to whatever issues or personal growth challenges you are struggling with).

·
тєяяσяiร&
5,985 Posts
Thanks for the reply. By any chance, would you happen to understand what an auxiliary function being underdeveloped means? I've heard that the whole loop thing occurs when one's second function is underdeveloped, but how could it be underdeveloped if they've always used it correctly when they weren't in the loop?
In order for the dom-tert loop theory to make sense, you have to view reality as dynamic, as constantly changing and progressing with the times. So, for example, there's no guarantee that what made sense last year - whether that be something like a scientific hypothesis, which is later disproved, or a clothing fad, which is now out of style - will make sense this year. This is why it's possible for one's auxilary function (which, in case your case, is Te) to have been used correctly in the past, but to be underdeveloped today. Replace underdeveloped with unrefined and it should, hopefully, clarify the misunderstanding.

When you're caught in an introverted dom-tert loop, you become disconnected from the outside world and block out all external information (Te) / stimuli (Se) / values (Fe) / possibilities (Ne) and begin to form an almost unhealthy reliance on your tertiary function to compensate, since it is easier to seek validation from within than without. Pigheaded is a good way to describe it, really. You use your tertiary function to justify all your dominant function's feelings, thoughts, sensations, and intuitions and since there's no new information to counteract your preconceived ideas (as false or ridiculous as they may be), this process will undoubtedly repeat itself until you've convinced yourself that yes, it's true / I'm right / everyone else is wrong, and then you'll project it onto the outside world / other people.

You're living in the past, essentially, but how this stagnancy in mental development manifests itself in an individual differs for every type, as well as for every person, which is how the loop theory came to fruition. I imagine it's something like a defense / coping mechanism for an unresolved personal trauma(s) and I think the main point the theory is trying to convey is: if you're too extroverted, too compromising, or too reliant on the external, then spend some time alone to get back in touch with yourself; if you're too introverted, too self-willed, or too reliant on the internal, then be more open and receptive to things outside of yourself (i.e. get out of your head) to get back in touch with the world.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am always impressed by the amount of insight people have in loops. I have never heard of it before in studying mbti books, but on the forum, I learn a great deal and find it very useful. I agree with the above post that it is almost like, if you are too introverted, too much in your head, analyzing non stop, go and do more Se/Te things...and vice versa. I find myself in loops often. It happens when I get stressed, sad, bored, or even excited over something and start researching it excessively. It is almost a daily occurrence nowadays. I wonder if it also is just a part of growing up and the personality trying to refine itself more and more. For example, an isfp who has never given much thought into her future suddenly starts to think lots about hidden meanings and future implications, she may get kind of lost along the way, it is not normal for her, but eventually it will have served as a kind of practice don't you think? Maybe that is why it is so unsettling because it new territory for us to be in and we can cause lots of trouble at first, but eventually it probably sharpens us. I think I wouldn't be who I am today without those loopy moments. Haha.

Reactions: The red spirit

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,327 Posts
I am always impressed by the amount of insight people have in loops. I have never heard of it before in studying mbti books, but on the forum, I learn a great deal and find it very useful. I agree with the above post that it is almost like, if you are too introverted, too much in your head, analyzing non stop, go and do more Se/Te things...and vice versa. I find myself in loops often. It happens when I get stressed, sad, bored, or even excited over something and start researching it excessively. It is almost a daily occurrence nowadays. I wonder if it also is just a part of growing up and the personality trying to refine itself more and more. For example, an isfp who has never given much thought into her future suddenly starts to think lots about hidden meanings and future implications, she may get kind of lost along the way, it is not normal for her, but eventually it will have served as a kind of practice don't you think? Maybe that is why it is so unsettling because it new territory for us to be in and we can cause lots of trouble at first, but eventually it probably sharpens us. I think I wouldn't be who I am today without those loopy moments. Haha.
I created my username, when I was in loop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts