Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
6,324 Posts
In short no. Otherwise it would not be the dominant function. He's taking behavior and trying to make the theory work to fit an observation not the other way around. It is perfectly plausible though for the aux to be almost as developed as the dominant, and potentially during this process a person may come off as being their aux type (so an ENTJ might appear to be a Ni-dom as they are developing Ni, this would probably happen while the person was a teenager or so), but Te is still the dominant function.
I know that was just speculation, but this may be what happened to me as a teen. To be fair, I also suffered mental illness so that could've been the cause of my withdrawal.

To the OP, my answer is that this can certainly apply to MBTI, but it cannot apply to Cognitive Function theory. The statement you bolded is exactly the issue I've had up until recent years. To the untrained eye, I appear ENTP-ish apparently. If I were to predict my behaviour in JCF terms, I may currently be beginning to express my tertiary Se.

· Ace of Spades
6,324 Posts
When you say "up until recent years" do you mean for your entire life (or as much as you can remember)? Or that there was a time when you didn't have this issue, then had it for a number of years, then came back out of it?

Also, if you do mean your entire life, how did you arrive at ENTJ for your type? It seems to me that someone who would have difficulty applying logic to their insights (or just information they are gatering) would be an introvert. So I'm curious as to how you realized that your dominant function was extraverted and not introverted because to me it seems the most logical conclusion based on that pattern would be that your dominant function was introverted. Yet this is apparently not the case for you.
Great observation! I still think I might be Ni-dom. I only recently settled on ENTJ, being self-typed as INTJ before. The answer to this is complex, as well-balanced people tend not to fit neatly into typology. I can't say if that was a temporary thing or not, as I wasn't aware of it as a child. I think it's more a matter of personal growth and learning to adapt to the world, not "developing certain functions". My preference is for the realm of the abstract, but I'm outward-focused in the sense that I like to experience, not just contemplate.

· Ace of Spades
6,324 Posts
@Spades

So, if you like to experience, you think Se isn't your inferior function? That seems believable enough by far, at least hearing this as an inferior Se user myself (I find that I tend to underrate physical experiences often, such as going for walks and whatnot), although it would definitely depend on what you mean by this.
It might be function-related, or not at all. I see value in experience. Experience confirms theory, experience gives new perspective, experience inspires new ideas and wisdom. I see life as one big science experiment. By theorizing, you are only getting half the story. By only action and no reflection, you are also getting only half the story. I see it as a synthesis of both, to give the most complete and fulfilling interpretation of life.

· Ace of Spades
6,324 Posts
@celticstained

I've gone through the exact thought process before - and that's how I concluded INTJ (with a chance of ENFP). I thought for sure that I was an N-dom and that my Te = Fi. Even on tests (which I know, are silly), I get extremely N or Ni > Ne > the rest, but perhaps the issue is I'm giving my Ni co-pilot too much credit, while Te is the actual Captain? I don't subscribe to the function ordering theory much anyway. How can I, when none of these functions are measurable (yet) or even proven to exist in the first place? I am not without values. I am not without feelings. I am human, and as I said in my returning Intro post, ENTJ cannot fit my entire being, but it's the closes thing, I guess. There's nothing more I could gain from the label.

Thanks for the discussion =) Excuse me for taking over the JCF forum with my personal blabber =P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.