Personality Cafe banner

Can the dominant function be under developed compared to the aux?

2299 Views 19 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Dora
I was reading the ENTJ descrption on Personality Page (Portrait of an ENTJ) and found the following statement interesting:

ENTJs are very forceful, decisive individuals. They make decisions quickly, and are quick to verbalize their opinions and decisions to the rest of the world. The ENTJ who has not developed their Intuition will make decisions too hastily, without understanding all of the issues and possible solutions. On the other hand, an ENTJ who has not developed their Thinking side will have difficulty applying logic to their insights, and will often make poor decisions. In that case, they may have brilliant ideas and insight into situations, but they may have little skill at determining how to act upon their understanding, or their actions may be inconsistent.
What I found most interesting was the bolded part of the quote. It has always been my understanding that our dominant function was the one that came most naturally to us, thus I assumed that it would always be the strongest, always. However this statement seems to imply that it is possible, at least in some cases, for the dominant function to be under developed compared to the aux function.

Is it possible for an aux function to be (or seem) more developed than a dominant function?
Has anyone observed this in their experience with typology?
Is this just an ENTJ phenomenon? Or could this happen with other types as well?

Any insight, thoughts, opinions, etc are appreciated.
Reactions: Dora
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This thread caught my interest, so I'll exhumate it from from the depths of time.

Why this is of particular relevance for me, is because my dom and aux functions seem to come to about the same strength. Or possibly, my aux seems to be better developed, or I rely on it too much, which makes my typing in various systems somewhat confusing.

My backstory: So, I believe I am an ESFP, however, to many people, I come across as an introvert, because I am somewhat shy, and it's true, that I use my Fi a lot, and in function tests, it comes out stronger than my Se. However, the thing is, as a child, I have been quite abrupt, and would get into trouble all the time, for acting on impulses, or interrupting people, or often even for drawing attention to myself, because peers and teachers alike thought I was a weirdo. So, even as a kid, I have started applying inhibitions to my natural instinct to do. Doing gets you noticed, and it gets you in trouble. And because I severely limited my natural desire and ability to get into action asap, I had to rely on something else. I started living in my head, with creating fantasy worlds and situations, to gratify my feelings, and developing a vivid internal world. Still, the primary instinct for me is to jump into action and observe without judgement, but I consciously stopped myself for so long, that it now keeps happening, and I doubt myself a lot.

Why I think I am an ESFP however, even with the Fi more used and worked on, is because still, my instinct is to observe and do, before, and snap decisions without introspection, before any judgement processes. I just stop myself, for fear of being punished, or getting in trouble. And because, my feelings are more affected by my enviornment, and can be changed by physical gratification, rather than vice versa, where my perception of the world would be colored by my feelings and values.

Obviously, this has caused me considerable issues, worse than having issues with self-typing. It's made me aloof, and overcautious, self-doubting, and self-sabotaging my natural abilities. It's also put me in the background, despite the fact that I need people, and I need a lot of attention, I'm just too scared to ask for it, or demand it. It has inhibited my assertivness.

Is this something someone else has experienced? Are there ways to work on this, even at age 28, so that I can improve my situation?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.