Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, for sure. Giving just one site as an example, take Youtube: I watched a video on guns once, and pretty soon there were a ton more gun videos in my "related videos" sidebar, and showing after every video too. Then after I watched a few more because they were really clickbaity, I started getting some REALLY dodgy stuff about conspiracy theories, joining the NRA, becoming pessimistic, etc.

Pretty soon, guns were in my Google ads. Then they were in my Facebook feed.

Do you want to guess how many videos on science and retro gaming I watched to get rid of content related to guns? Holy cow.

I think the Internet can be like a giant amplifier, and nowadays things you consume on the internet tend to reinforce themselves with additional related content. This can push you up or down or sideways just as fast as any other chemical I can name. There seems to be a lot of money behind this too, trying to retarget consumers to get them to buy stuff.

If you are on the edge, "stay off the internet" sounds like a good plan to me, even though I know there's still a lot of good out there. It's just neutral technology but it sure has a lot of negative potential to be aware of.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Of course: mental overstimulation, anxiety, self esteem issues, procrastination.. And I can go on.

Reactions: imaphoenix

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yeah in many ways, sometimes good (easy access to knowledge, social support of sorts), and bad (overstimulation, bullying online, disturbing material available to all).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts