Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I wonder how other people view the helpfulness of type. Can type help people? This thread is dedicated to Water and Curious, and its ambition is to make a positive contribution to helping others concerning type.

Since type is such a difficult and confusing subject, and since understanding our true type is supposed to be able to result in helpful insights into our strengths and weaknesses, I wanted to find out how others came to determine their types, and how that has helped them in their lives, if at all.

Does it matter for instance if you are mistyped, or if you have mistyped yourself? If it doesn't matter, then why bother with the whole typing thing anyway? Should we even try to know? Is it worth it?

Personally, I think that there is much to be gained from understanding how our cognitive functions operate, and much tolerance to be gained from understanding how other people's functions can be different, yet just as valid and worthy as our own. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
One of the most important aspects of the personality typing system is that it makes people realize that what is right of them is not right for another person. An important example is the difference between thinking and feeling judgements. I always saw apparent rational thinkers like my dad as one who is being mean to me when I don't do something correctly and so on. Through studying personality typing, I've been able to realize that he hardly ever did things to be mean to me. Every effort he put into criticizing me all was to help me become a better person.

One thing that the type system is useful for is determining how your own mannerisms fit with certain careers and so on.

I've realized from trying to type people that you shouldn't put too much effort into typing people. Everyone can intuit and sense at the same time as well as think logically and have feelings at the same time. What you have to consider is what makes you unique and different from the average person?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think that even a bad type test is good for personal development as the accepted profile suggests weaknesses that the individual sees in them-self and will then aim to improve on. Whether that weakness is a result of using the functions of that type is irrelevant. Then when they have overcome those weaknesses they may start questioning their type again, and with your new perspective think them-self another type, with a new set of weaknesses... to not try and type your-self is to not notice weakness, and then they wont improve in those areas.

How did I type myself? First time I did a test and believed it, then realised it was wrong. I'm not logical enough to be a T, so I'll switch that to an F! That was wrong too, so now after a year I'm looking for my third type, and taking much longer over it by observing my words and actions all day every day, then trying to relate that to functions. Confusing it is! :laughing:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'll just re-post a chunk of my intro post, since there I described some of the ways the MBTI has helped me.

teddy564339 said:
Finding out about the MB type theory has actually been a huge help to me. A lot of my life I’ve felt like there are a lot of things about me that felt weird or unusual, and a lot of times that’s caused me to feel lonely, self-conscious and out of place. Sometimes I’ve even felt like there’s something wrong with me because I wasn’t like a lot of people that I knew. I was usually able to overcome these feelings (or if nothing else, ignore them), but by finding out about my own type (and others’), I’ve understood a lot more about myself, I’ve felt like I’ve connected to others, and I’ve gained confidence in who I am rather than what I’ve felt like I should be sometimes (not to mention learning about other people I know as well).

The really cool thing has been finding out that the reasons for my self-consciousness are actually related to me being an ISFJ too! So understanding that it’s natural for my type to have those kinds of issues has made me feel like it’s something I can overcome mentally too.

I guess I’ll give some examples. First, clearly is the whole introverted thing. I’ve always kept tons and tons of thoughts internally to myself, I’ve always enjoyed spending a lot of time alone, I’ve always gotten shy/uncomfortable in big groups, and I’ve always taken a while to warm up to people and think before I speak. But from what I read, about 75% of Americans are extraverted, meaning that these introverted qualities were unusual. I’ve always felt pressured into thinking that I should be going out more, that I don’t have enough friends, that I should force myself to be more outspoken…but all of these things are things that didn’t really matter personally to me…I just felt like I was “supposed” to be like that.
But I’ve now realized that it’s ok for me to be introverted like that, and I shouldn’t force myself to be something that I’m not just for other people. That doesn’t mean that I can’t step outside of myself at times to be more extraverted…but when I do it, I’m doing it because I want to, not because I feel like I’m supposed to.

It’s a similar case with being a feeling type, especially since I’m male. I’ve seen now why a lot of times I take things so personally, why I’m so sensitive compared to some people, and especially why a lot of other people can do say so much and gloss over the emotion so easily.

I’ll put the sensing/judging more together since that creates my temperament. This was kind of interesting because it’s outlined all of my mental organizations, my huge, almost OCD-like desire for structure in my life, and my hard working mentality meant to keep things going smoothly. I also find it interesting that I have such a desire to be ready and prepared, that I have a tendency to assume the worst, even if it’s not true…and this leads me to feel more negative about the future than I should be.

But it’s when all of these have been put together that makes the whole thing so completely fascinating to me. My feeling side gives me a lot of emotions, my sensing leads me to notice the details of them, my introversion leads me to keep them to myself, and my judging leads me to keep them very organized. I also see why I can be so sensitive and shy, and also why I tend to put others before myself. Finally, I also see how I do that so much, and am so calm-natured, that it leads me to be taken for granted, especially since I keep others happy and keep things running smoothly. Of course, since I feel so much better when others praise me, it causes me hurt to be ignored, especially since I work so hard.

But, that’s the huge beauty of me realizing all of this about myself. I’ve loved reading the advice sections in some of these books, because it makes me feel so much better about myself. I understand more about why I feel bad sometimes and why others’ actions sometimes lead to that…especially since they a lot of times don’t mean it, and usually have no idea they’re making me feel that way!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One of the most important aspects of the personality typing system is that it makes people realize that what is right of them is not right for another person. An important example is the difference between thinking and feeling judgements. I always saw apparent rational thinkers like my dad as one who is being mean to me when I don't do something correctly and so on. Through studying personality typing, I've been able to realize that he hardly ever did things to be mean to me. Every effort he put into criticizing me all was to help me become a better person.
Wow, this is a good example of how understanding functions can give us insight (and possibly acceptance) of another's perspective. In my life, my husband and I are better able to tolerate each others weaknesses, and have gotten good at banding our strengths together to form a synergistic energy! We sometimes do this now with regard to decision making. He comes up with a lot of possibilities, and I zone in on the right one. What? I can't help it if I'm usually right---heehee.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just re-post a chunk of my intro post, since there I described some of the ways the MBTI has helped me.
I know what you mean about being relieved to find that you're not alone in your "weirdness," lol. I think a lot of people feel the same. I know that I felt better. Plus, it's exciting to come on here and find more of one's own type, free for the talking to!

·
Banned
15 Posts
Great thread (*bookmarking now*). I'm still new to this, and trying to narrow down my type. But I agree with the sentiments here. Just being AWARE of the varying types gives me a kinder understanding of why peeps do what they do. And why I react how I react.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts