Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yes in the conventional sense, but maybe it's because our thinking is so scattered and pervasive that it's worth at least one task all on its own?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Reactions: Knight_In_Rags

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Multitasking is a myth. Nobody can do it. Oh, people say they are multitasking. But if that's what they think they are doing, in reality they are not paying sufficient attention to any single task to do anything well. I wish I had a dollar for every meeting I was ever in during my career in which somebody--usually a higher-up--says, "Sorry, could you repeat that? I was multitasking." I call bullshit. You were doing something else and not paying attention.

:dry:

Interrupted serial monotasking is what people are really doing. I know I am not especially good at that but I suppose it could be related to personality traits. Let's just not deceive ourselves by calling it multitasking.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think i am rather capable of doing multiple things at once. Although if i did each seperately i may be able to accomplish such in a much more affective manor. The more i have going on, the more chaotic i am, but that can also be helpful.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Multitasking is a myth. Nobody can do it. Oh, people say they are multitasking. But if that's what they think they are doing, in reality they are not paying sufficient attention to any single task to do anything well. I wish I had a dollar for every meeting I was ever in during my career in which somebody--usually a higher-up--says, "Sorry, could you repeat that? I was multitasking." I call bullshit. You were doing something else and not paying attention.

:dry:

Interrupted serial monotasking is what people are really doing. I know I am not especially good at that but I suppose it could be related to personality traits. Let's just not deceive ourselves by calling it multitasking.
That, but I do think one is more apt at 'multitasking' than another.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Apparently the brain is not capable of multitasking, but just being able to switch from task to task very quickly, causing the brain into tricking us into believing we are multitasking. The article I read mentioned short order cooks as an example of this.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I think good multi-tasking is about prioritizing the order in which you put attention and focus on tasks that need to be attended to. And like @telepariah suggests, giving your full attention to each of those tasks one at a time (and not several things simultaneously). But I think that what really makes someone a good "multi-tasker" is the ability to allot the right amount of time on each task (not too little and not too much) so that it can be taken care of so that you can move on to the next task, and also, most importantly, *having a strategy* of how to remember each little item or task that is waiting in the wings or the "to-be-taken-care-of" list. (whether this is a mental reminder list or actually writing the reminders out)

So really, maybe the term shouldn't be "multi-tasker" but rather "prioritizer-of-tasks"

I find that last aspect I mention (remembering what I've put off) extremely challenging. Its very difficult for me to remember what needs to be done while I am putting my attention on something else, and I will sometimes forget things along the way if I have too many things being thrown at me at once. I wonder also, if J's might be naturally a little more accustomed to good multi-tasking skills being that they seem to have a natural knack for planning things out and prioritizing??? (not that P's can't learn of course)

Interesting to think about. :)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
I consider myself quite good at multitasking, really. Even though what might be considered 'true' multitasking is not possible, and it is more awareness and control of attention in my case. Of course, I'm more efficient when I'm hyperfocusing, but most of the time because I'm so scattered it comes naturally to me to jump from one thing to another, sometimes doing several at once; particularly if some of them are 'automatic' functions and require little conscious effort.

Reactions: Knight_In_Rags

·
Registered
601 Posts
I doubt you that can't multitask. Conscious multitasking is indeed a myth, but if an activity becomes implicit from repetition, like driving or walking, then you can start to multitask. I am sure many of us here can fantasize while performing a perfunctory task. Or if you consider the two activities as one activity, you might achieve a zen like state of concentration...

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's difficult for me. the only multitasking I can do is walk/drive, talk, and chew gum.

I'm awful in school. I have to make a choice to either take notes, or listen to the teacher. I normally choose notes, because both way, I end up daydreaming, and at least with notes I can go back and try to learn.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, I suck at multitasking. Big time. If I'm supposed to do something well, I need to fully concentrate on it. I can barely walk and talk on the phone at the same time.
haha same! and if I'm walking and talking and get a strong idea, I stop! People always laugh at me for that.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I find people who talk on the phone while driving terrifying. One of my friends texts. It pisses me off when I catch him doing it, but he is usually so fast I don't even notice. I could never even try to do it. If I'm driving I'm driving. It takes all my concentration. I need a copilot to change the music or I need to stop the car. I don't even like to listen to music when I'm skiing. Can't handle the sensory overload.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts