Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everyday there's a new post about being an introverted ENTP, and frankly im getting a little confused with all the different answers. So with that in mind, can we finally get to the bottom of this in an organized and categorical manner?

Oh and since there are always a myriad of different reasons, please give a unique answer for each category, ill start.

Cognitive functions
Ne doesn't always need people to start working; Ti is one of the most introverted functions.

Environmental
We don't like the people around us, So we go inside our heads to play.

Maturity/"infamous ENTP introversion faze"?
I just read about this supposed ENTP introversion stage but Im only 18 so im not sure if I've matured yet; in fact at what age does a male entp go from being "immature Ne nut" to becoming the fabled Steve Jobs? Is there anyway to speed up the process?

Emotional state
an ENTP experiencing strong emotions tends to go Ti crazy :unsure:

Type dynamics
Being constantly surrounded by SJs can drain an ENTP to the point of introversion. Honestly it feels a little surreal, almost as if everybody is on the same page while you feel disconnected. The "emotional" barrier between ENTPs and sensors is subtle but the difference is night and day compared to the instant connection that occurs when an ENTP meets another NT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Being constantly surrounded by SJs can drain an ENTP to the point of introversion. Honestly it feels a little surreal, almost as if everybody is on the same page while you feel disconnected. The "emotional" barrier between ENTPs and sensors is subtle but the difference is night and day compared to the instant connection that occurs when an ENTP meets another NT.
I agree with you. When i feel disconnected I become introverted instantly. But if I feel the need to fit in with the SJs/other people i don't naturally bond with, I become whatever is around me. However I hate doing this because it gives me a bored and tired feeling which eventually will causes me to revert to introvert. However when I am surrounded by Ns especially NTs and NPs I am always full of energy, becoming my extroverted self.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Type dynamics
Sounded good, up until this. While a majority of ENTPs might have a hard time getting along with SJs, there are exceptions. Assuming you're not going to get along with every SJ only leads to close-mindedness and typism. Please don't do that. As far as connecting with other people is concerned, maturity can have a lot to do with it. I've met immature/underdeveloped NTs that I can't stand, and I'm best friends with an ESTJ.

Also, I'm not one to "go into my head and play" just because I don't like the people around me. I go into my head and play with Ne because anything can happen there, and the laws of this world no longer apply :D

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cognitive functions
Ne doesn't always need people to start working; Ti is one of the most introverted functions.
I sort of agree, but I don't think this is the case for me.

Environmental
I disagree completely, I get bored without people around. Even when I want to spend time in my head, I want to be around people.

I just read about this supposed ENTP introversion stage but Im only 18 so im not sure if I've matured yet; in fact at what age does a male entp go from being "immature Ne nut" to becoming the fabled Steve Jobs? Is there anyway to speed up the process?
I wouldn't call it an Introversion stage. But there is a time, i think, in every ENTPs life where they are still adjusting to the radically different way that we tend to think, and that makes it difficult to relate to others.

Emotional state
Again, not for me. When I feel emotional I want to be around people more. It might be unhealthy for me, but being around people allows me to put it from my mind and sort through it later in a disconnected manner.

Type dynamics
My step-dad, and majority of his family are SJ types, and I love being around them. I've never really been drained from it.

-----

Really, I think, the issue with the ENTP or INTP question isn't about the difference or any sort of confusion to the meaning. It's just that people forget that one can be Ambivert which is the middle ground between the two.

Just like a person can be in the middle of Sensing and Intuition, or Thinking and Feeling, or Judging and Perceiving.

I think that it actually has nothing to do with the status of Extro or Intro or Ambi, it's just that us ENTPs have a perpencity to toil incessantly over things in our minds.

Reactions: electricky

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Golly, Introverted ENTPs should have their own type or something because OH WAIT.

Reactions: Zdorobot

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't like to be part of groups where I know I'm not gonna be paid attention... And I always used to work alone to avoid the work of having to deal with slow minded people.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sounded good, up until this. While a majority of ENTPs might have a hard time getting along with SJs, there are exceptions. Assuming you're not going to get along with every SJ only leads to close-mindedness and typism. Please don't do that. As far as connecting with other people is concerned, maturity can have a lot to do with it. I've met immature/underdeveloped NTs that I can't stand, and I'm best friends with an ESTJ.

Also, I'm not one to "go into my head and play" just because I don't like the people around me. I go into my head and play with Ne because anything can happen there, and the laws of this world no longer apply :D
It's not typism that causes the rift, it's the types themselves.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Why does every other thread in the NT area seem to involve a sly dig on the sensors? I have never had any issues with sensors if I'm honest, the only types I have issues with are Fe dominant, thats down to emotional immaturity on my part, nothing to do with them.
ENTPs are relatively introverted because they are relatively introverted, we live a lot of time in our heads, extraverted intuition is a function that interacts with its environment, not always with people like Fe or Te, that's why we're more introverted or seemingly so than the extraverted judging function dominants. If we could please drop the anti-SJ stuff too, rather than put out these sly comments about them, give your opinion of them...

You say you find them tiring so you go into your mind? Is that due to intellectual inferiority on their part? If so, I assume they must be so apologetic that they're not a genius like yourselves... (this isn't aimed at anyone, nobody get their panties in a twist, this is a general point about the anti-SJ attitude)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have more problems with F's and J's than with sensors... Childlike feelers are creepy and tiring (although somewhat useful) and J's are annoying....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ughh...
Enough with the typism already. Any type can be a pain in the butt.
The world is not going to change for you. Make the most out of the hand of cards life has given you; don't complain about the rules.
Wring out your Ne sponge with you and appreciate the positive things in life. If you focus on the negativity too much you will be miserable.
Don't go into your head to play too much. People watching is good for developing Fe.

If you train yourself to be more optimistic when it comes to dealing with people, that extraverted side of you will come out more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why does every other thread in the NT area seem to involve a sly dig on the sensors? I have never had any issues with sensors if I'm honest, the only types I have issues with are Fe dominant, thats down to emotional immaturity on my part, nothing to do with them.
ENTPs are relatively introverted because they are relatively introverted, we live a lot of time in our heads, extraverted intuition is a function that interacts with its environment, not always with people like Fe or Te, that's why we're more introverted or seemingly so than the extraverted judging function dominants. If we could please drop the anti-SJ stuff too, rather than put out these sly comments about them, give your opinion of them...

You say you find them tiring so you go into your mind? Is that due to intellectual inferiority on their part? If so, I assume they must be so apologetic that they're not a genius like yourselves... (this isn't aimed at anyone, nobody get their panties in a twist, this is a general point about the anti-SJ attitude)
It wasn't a dig at sensors. I was just acknowledging the fact that in general Intuitives connect easier with other intuitives, its not a matter of intelligence we simply just perceive the world differently than sensors. If believing that instigates typism, then whats the point of even having type dynamics? (lets hope that rampant political correctness wont get rid of love types, i can never remember which personality i love the most)

·
Registered
585 Posts
It seems like everyday there's a new post about being an introverted ENTP, and frankly im getting a little confused with all the different answers. So with that in mind, can we finally get to the bottom of this in an organized and categorical manner?

Oh and since there are always a myriad of different reasons, please give a unique answer for each category, ill start.

Cognitive functions

Environmental

Emotional state

Type dynamics
I do most of the things you mentioned, but basically I turn introverted if I don't like what's going on around me. Like if at a bar/party with not-too-close friends and I'm bored because they're all stupid and drunk and generally dry people anyway, I consider it a waste of energy to even try to fake being entertained so I just sit back and pull a Jane Goodall lol. To relate this to the fabled "ENTP introversion phase", I suppose it's different from when I was younger and would actually try to drum up the excitement by breaking stuff or jumping fully clothed into a pool with my phone in my pocket etc, things like that. I don't speak for all; I'm a 7 so it might just be me happily sliding towards integration at 5 ^^

I have to say that I really can't connect with certain types tho. SJs are indeed a group I can rarely get along with, but they aren't the only ones necessarily. I have a hard time dealing with anyone who's too much of a Feeler as well, but I like to say that I'm an equal-opportunity hater ;) I have disliked at least one NT. In this case I minimize my interaction with them because:

1. Most of the time they seem to think I come on too strong and they "put up a fight" (I mean that they disagree with me or tell me that I'm mean/cold etc.); I don't trust them with my personal opinions and therefore keep them to myself and keep interaction superficial.
2. Regardless of type, they may be a someone I dislike and it "poisons my air" to talk to them or even be around them, so I withdraw into introversion if I can't physically remove myself.....

May seem escapist but again, might I remind you that I'm 7 and generally would prefer to avoid anything unpleasant if possible. Also, not to pick on SJs but both these tactics I've developed from living with my excessively SJ family.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well, I act extroverted when I have nothing to do and I'm around cool people. INTP and ENTP are pretty close together. I think it's probably because Ti and Ne work so well together that if one's strong, the other is likely to be strong too.

Personally, the STJs drive me nuts even though the SFJs are usually all right. When the ESFJs aren't insisting that their social schedules have to be booked (how do they do that?!) and the ISFJs aren't being "unappreciated martyrs," they're usually pretty nice people. Most of the STJs I know need to take a chill pill, though. And I don't usually have issues with SPs, although the ESFPs could use a pretty large dose of STJ seriousness.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think it depends on how far up the extrovert scale you find yourself, as to how extroverted you will be. Personally, my intro vs extro is pretty damn close! It therefore stands to reason that I am considered quite an introverted ENTP!

Gotta remember all these summaries are just simply summaries... You will find some ultra extroverted ENTPs and some Introverted ENTPs. You can even take this further and brake down the rest of the cognitive functions.. You will find some hardcore perceivers, who live in a constant state of flux and can't ever plan or make a decision on anything (lol conjuring up my hippy uncle).. Than you will get some that are on the cusp. The point is, ENTPs come in all different varieties.. Fat, thin, introverted,extroverted,tall,short! All the colours of the rainbow!!

FJs are awesome and they have their uses! Just moved back home and discovered My brothers an ENFJ.. He is constantly out of the house going to parties, so I never need to see him and the added bonus of him hating anything that isn't ordered and clean, means that he does all the house work!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts