Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this may be kind of theoretical topic. But can you somewhat alter your type if you wanted to? Obviously I don't think you can change your cognitive preferences. But can you transform yourself, like an actor, to outwardly appear different from your current type, as a matter of personal growth and "expanding horizons"?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes, for many reasons, I've transformed into an INTJ previously. However, the longer I try to masquerade as someone I am not, the more unsettled, unbalanced and frustrated I feel with myself. In fact, I'm still unsure about my MBTI type at the moment, but ENFP sounds like me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, mimicking other types is easy. I don't know how that's going to equate to personal growth though, unless it somehow leads to advances in your acting career.

But who says you can't change your cognitive preferences? It seems reasonable to assume it could happen naturally as an environmental adaptation, but I think an exceptionally self-disciplined person could train themselves to employ alternate cognitive preferences. If you're aware of your cognitive preferences, surely you can change them. Practice makes perfect.

·
Banned
618 Posts
I do this all the time for different situations. The easiest types to do are ones that you share at least three preferences with, the other disguises are next to impossible to keep up. When giving a tour or answering questions, I instinctually morph into an ENTP. Words come to me quicker, confidence comes easier, and my jokes are funnier. It's almost like magic. INFP works for being around children, ISTP works well when I'm stressed, and INTJ is a good type for lecturing, informing, or debating. Out of all these, ENTP comes the easiest.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Probably not. You can definitely work on developing your functions and becoming a "better you", but when they shit hits the fan we all tend to revert at least a little.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
No. In part because the lower two functions are mostly unconscious (you can't consciously change something unconscious) and secondly changing type would be a holistic process. That's not to say it would be completely impossible just, in most cases, implausible, because as Jung saw it type was the result of habituation (with some temperamental disposition thrown in for good measure). Now whether or not people can look like other types, or even think they are other types and so forth is a different story. This probably happens all the time. Many people are more extraverted or introverted at different stages of their lives too. But when trying to determine type you can't really look at it from a episodic or circumstantial basis. Jung would ask the question "how do you normally process things?" since we are looking for the habitual pattern. And Myers whose focus was on preference would ask not what do you normally do, or do in a given situation so much as 'what do you generally prefer?' Anyone can be like anything in a given moment, we want to establish what the precedents are over the big picture.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you could change your type you'd probably already be a different type...the way type even happens is after lots and lots and lots of conditioning, involving conscious and unconscious elements. This is a combination of what works functionally, what resonates with the ego, and many such things.
You can transform yourself, and this is even encouraged, but the type is a "constant" in the following sense: what kind of transformation did you have to undergo? For instance, what would an irrational type like Se have to undergo in order to start looking almost like a Ti type to an outsider?

Basically type is underlying all your conditioning, and conscious and unconscious checks as to what works for you, pushed you towards, so you'd not be changing your type so much as perhaps "transcending" it. Changing it to occupy a new type would basically mean starting over in a way, rather than moving forward. And why would one do that when part of the whole reason the type formed was around what works for you?

I suspect this question is inspired more by functional cognitive concerns than by actual cognitive type concerns --- i.e. can I go from being very Fi to being very Te? I'm sure a lot of self-proclaimed Fi types might find this attractive on the outset even though really adopting a Te type as opposed to developing some functional approximation of what Te is would probably be closer to what they're seeking...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I could probably mimic another type, but nothing too different than what I am. If I tried to be an ESFJ I'd go insane.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do this all the time for different situations. The easiest types to do are ones that you share at least three preferences with, the other disguises are next to impossible to keep up. When giving a tour or answering questions, I instinctually morph into an ENTP. Words come to me quicker, confidence comes easier, and my jokes are funnier. It's almost like magic.
Good point. I sometime morph into being perceived as ENTP and feel a certain "kinship" with that type.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
I don't think type actually changes, but consciousness does sometimes expand. I'm not sure how much can be done consciously since it seems to be a process initiated by the unconscious. The processes of bringing unconscious contents into consciousness such as active imagination techniques, dream analysis, meditation, etc. will certainly help it along if the unconscious psyche is already pushing those contents forward. I would suggest that you look into it yourself and see if it can benefit you or not.

Reactions: bearotter

·
Registered
689 Posts
actually type can change, everybody is a bit of every personality; everyone shares introversion & extroversion(same with the others), but depending on what mental stage we are in, we score a certain personality.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It depends on your notion of type. If you subscribe to the functions perspective, type constitutes a dynamic lifelong relationship to 4 functions, whose empirical character can vary. Generally we don't willfully change much of what would constitute type, but can be coerced somewhat into changing our relation to the functions relative to our own lives, partly by the parts of ourselves we are blind to and partly by circumstance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes, this may be kind of theoretical topic. But can you somewhat alter your type if you wanted to? Obviously I don't think you can change your cognitive preferences. But can you transform yourself, like an actor, to outwardly appear different from your current type, as a matter of personal growth and "expanding horizons"?
According to Isabel Briggs Meyers, people who try to do this always end up neurotic. The most well adjusted people are those who are self-aware and glad to be what they are. And theoretically speaking, no you can't because your true cognitive preferences are apparent at an early age and unchangeable at a basic level.

As far as personal growth goes, this is really what the meyers-briggs theory and Jung's theories which it's based on are all about. The thing is, you're not supposed to try and switch your preferred preferences, but incorporate the less conscious parts of your psyche (sensing and feeling for you) into your conscious personality, which should always be lead by introverted thinking supported by intuition.

To elaborate, type isn't based on how you behave; it's based on natural preferences for processing information. And you actually are just as much of a thinker as you are a feeler– it's just that thinking is the side of yourself which your ego consciously identifies with, while your feeling is primarily unconscious and repressed. Personal growth, along these lines, is about becoming aware of the unconscious.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I can. I'm a chameleon. I change according to what I'm after. I would like to say that I know myself like the back of my hand but I don't. All I know is that I am not a friend to anyone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The only way you can change your type is if you suffer some form of severe trauma in which you may permanently degenerate to one of your shadows (people can have more than one depending on the severity). But like ManWithoutHats said, you would be extremely unsatisfied with yourself and you would be wasting energy just to attempt to be like your desired type. I don't see the point in that, better to face yourself and your flaws and accept them. No one type is ultimately better than the other. You could however adopt certain mindsets from other types and apply them to suit your cognitive function stack.

Reactions: ManWithoutHats
1 - 18 of 18 Posts