Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I come to realise that I'm wrong about something, I'm usually quick to admit it.

My boyfriend is INTJ and he never admits he's wrong, even when he totally knows he is. I wonder whether this is a typical J/P difference?

What about the rest of you guys?

·
Registered
458 Posts
It depends a bit on what we're discussing and who I'm discussing with. The times I am wrong, I usually notice it quite fast in the beginning of a discussion, and then I have no problems admitting it. It makes me laugh if anything...However, if we've discussed/argued for a long time and I suddenly realise I've miscalculated or made an error somewhere, I will feel really stupid and get embarrassed, making me a bit more reluctant with admitting it. It's rare for that to happen though.

·
Banned
349 Posts
It depends on the other person. If he/she is speaking in a respectful manner, in a "debate of equals", and the supossed mistake I did is presented with enough objectivity and logic, then I admit it without any problem.

But if the other user is talking to me "from above", or has no objectivity and logic ("this is my way of thinking and I am right because I'm right") I will not admit it. I want to share useful information/points of views, but I will not feed big egos or idiocy.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I normally have quite a bit of trouble admitting I am wrong, however I think it depends on who I am arguing with, I can think of a couple of people who I have heated arguments with a lot who I would never back down to, whilst there are a few friends who I can quite easily have a friendly and calm debate with where I would much more happily tell the other person they are probably right.
I think it depends on the person I am arguing with, on whether they are arguing for the sake of winning and attempting to belittle me, or becuase they are genuinely intrested in arriving at some sort of conclusion. I am not sure if that is just me, a trait for a lot of INTPs, or if it is just true for all types.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
Yes, and I would think it silly to never admit that you were incorrect. All humans are human, and all humans err. In fact, it is often a good thing to admit you are wrong because a viewpoint you may have held or an action you may have taken could be unhealthy for you or others. For example, if someone claims that their lifestyle is healthy when it certainly is anything but, admitting that they were wrong allows them to move on and adopt an healthier lifestyle.

·
Registered
672 Posts
INTPs hate to admit flaws in their logic. I do apologise, but it does depend on the circs and who I'm with. If it's a general discussion at work about something not work related, I do admit I tend to laugh off my mistakes.:unsure: Arrogant behaviour, I know. If I have made a mistake at work with something that is work related I do apologise, because it could affect the project as a whole.

Guess it really depends upon how far reaching the consequences of my mistake is.

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
50 Posts
I free myself to admit I'm wrong. It's nothing personal. When I miscalculated situations, or arrived at incorrect conclusions, I admit it. Intuition is not exempted to fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
988 Posts
I only admit that I made a logical fallacy in my reasoning if the opposing debater does not think it would invalidate my entire argument. In other cases, I will only admit that the other side is right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends on the other person. If he/she is speaking in a respectful manner, in a "debate of equals", and the supossed mistake I did is presented with enough objectivity and logic, then I admit it without any problem.

But if the other user is talking to me "from above", or has no objectivity and logic ("this is my way of thinking and I am right because I'm right") I will not admit it. I want to share useful information/points of views, but I will not feed big egos or idiocy.
I would say - same thing for me. If there is a logic and proof to alter My point of view there is no shame to accept this. If there is arrogance, blunt "I say this, this is enough to be Truth" stance there is no such option.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ha. Must admit I do that a bit too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I know I'm wrong, I see no problem in admitting it. It might just get worse if I don't, everyone else finds out, and things get really awkward because its so obvious that I'm stubborn because of something so stupid like that. And honestly, that would be a lot more embarrassing than just admitting a failure.
I know I don't know everything in this world, and there is a lot of things that I am unsure about.

My boyfriend is an INTJ as well. It doesn't seems like he has a problem admitting such things either.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
On the rare occasion that I am wrong *cough*, I do tend to admit I am wrong and promise myself to do better research next time.

Reactions: Thu

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When I admit I am wrong, it sounds more like, 'I misunderstood.' Admitting I am wrong is hard for me, and it makes me question myself. I generally dislike questioning myself.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I feel the same but I feel like usually I'm not flat our wrong though so it isn't totally a lie to say that. Often there a good amount of truth in what I said I'm just a little off. I'm hardly ever completely off the radar unless I am not really trying.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Of course, there is the 'us and them' mentality that must be dealt with swiftly. It's sickening.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can, but sometimes I deny just because it's funny, but when I do that it's usually obvious...
Sometimes the truth is so baffling that I wont deny nor accept it, I'll digest it for awhile, then accept.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I am wrong a lot so trying to not admit to being wrong can be very draining. Besides most of the stuff I am wrong about don't really care too much about or I know I am below competence level compared to others

1 - 20 of 29 Posts