Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without using any opinions, can you answer the following question correctly?

Three little piggies decide to build their own house out of different materials. Piggy one builds their house from straw. Piggy two builds their house from sticks. And piggy three builds their house from bricks. Each pig believes the house that they built will help keep them safe and protect them from danger.

Which house(s) is built sturdy enough to protect the pigs from danger?

Reactions: Schizoid

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The question doesn't provide complete information, but do you want the answer to be based strictly on the information you have provided? If so, bricks.

If you want a realistic answer, none of them are safe from danger. Obviously straw and sticks are bad choices. Bricks can't stand certain issues. It works best in certain climates. (I'll skip the details for the time being). So the best solution is to build a home with reinforced concrete for a large structure or another type of concrete for a smaller one. Even if you do that, it doesn't guarantee permanent safety. You have to design it a certain way to protect it from earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well if you consider that as far as I know with the give information these houses are built solely from the material given, in which case a house made of bricks with no cement is just a heavy wall of peanut brittle. If the sticks are particularly large (depending on if you consider a branch to be a stick) then they might even withstand the elements better than the bricks given that they can fit snugly into each other, straw is naturally just a nonsense choice as with presumably nothing to bind it, it would fall apart rather Quickly, so I'd have to give it to the bricks unless you consider branches or logs to be sticks.

Personally I'd build my house out of Styrofoam, it won't withstand a storm, but if someone tries to break in their eardrums will be assaulted with the sound of pure suffering.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
piggies don't build houses. Let alone 3 of them. That said, bacon.

mmmmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Depends on the danger.

Reactions: Ky0shi

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It's a tie between bricks and sticks.

Straws will provide a place for those pigs to camouflage/hide in if they happened to have any enemies chasing after them, but those straws wouldn't be able to protect them from strong winds.
Bricks and sticks are more sturdy so if there is a hurricane coming their way the pigs will be safe and sound.

So if I were a pig and I need to build a house, I'll make sure to use a combination of bricks and sticks.

·
Banned
5,683 Posts
None of them. The straw pig will get a but of a shiver on a cold winter night, and light a fire. When he's roasted to perfection, the wolf will come to collect the bacon strips. The stick pig will be lounging, when a sudden strong wind turns those sticks into lethal projectiles and shishkebob him. The wolf will come along with some veggies and have a delicious feast. The brick pig will be building his house, when the fool realizes he didn't use any cement, right as the bricks come crashing down and beat him to a tender pulp. The wolf will then show up and have a nice BBQ pulled pork sandwich. Or three. The houses only protect the wolf from starvation.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Very insufficient data. But one would assume that the house of bricks has a greater chance of dealing with impact damage better than the other two.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Without using any opinions, can you answer the following question correctly?

Three little piggies decide to build their own house out of different materials. Piggy one builds their house from straw. Piggy two builds their house from sticks. And piggy three builds their house from bricks. Each pig believes the house that they built will help keep them safe and protect them from danger.

It depends.

Pigs, let alone little piggies, generally neither have the ability to gather/produce those materials nor construct them properly, but given the benefit of the doubt because it's the premise of the question, that would imply these pigs are a vastly superior breed of pig relative to normal pigs (either by natural means such as evolution or mutation, or by artificial means such as genetic manipulation or cybernetic enhancement) and should have what it takes to defend themselves against most other animals, assuming they're not also superior versions of themselves (note: it can be doubted if these "pigs" are even pigs at all given their biological differences, so I'll refer to them as superpigs from now on), and it's also incredibly remarkable that these superpigs have the ability to gather such materials and construct houses at such a young age (unless the term "little piggies" doesn't imply young age and is to be taken literally).

Just by materials though, the bricks are the best material to build a house out of, but how durable that house would be depends on whether or not the superpigs know about mortar joints and how to apply them effectively, which would imply even more developed competence.
Then there's also the question of camouflage. A brick house would blend in much better with a city, while the straw and sticks would perhaps be more disguised in the wilderness.

Regardless, the data is insufficient. It's debatable if a house built out of basic materials would even protect these superpigs at all. They could be mutants hunted by the government (humans) as well as a civilization akin to humans and could be hunted by wild animals who may or may not also be civilized, or they could be hunted by even other superpigs. They could even live on a planet with extreme climate and weather.

Too many options exist for one specific answer to be valid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trick question. There's only one house, the one they built together using the three materials.

That or your grammar is atrocious.
Oops, sorry. Grammar is correct but I used "their" as a gender neutral pronoun. I should have used "his" or "her" to make it less confusing.

Reactions: DarkBarlow

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot how long ago I posted this. I originally planned to respond back on the same day but... Yea, I don't know what happened ��.

It was suppose to be a trick question with multiple correct answers depending on how you look at the situation. It was an exercise to make you think of all the factual possibilities, it wasn't exactly meant to be a brain teaser.

The first exercise was to take a popular story (the three little pigs story) and completely separate the question and the children's story. If you were influenced by the children's book and said the brick house would protect the pig, then the answer would be incorrect. The next exercise was to question all of the possibilities and eliminate the ones based on assumptions or opinions.

Depending on the specific danger, the answer can vary. That's why there are multiple correct answers. One example: A house made of straw could protect you from the harsh rays of the sun but it will not protect you from a tornado.

I know this question is pretty simple but if you think about the entire process your brain goes through to eliminate the assumptions and opinions from the facts and factual possibilities it can actually be a pretty complex process.

But I don't know, maybe you guys will think the question was easy and lame. I just believe questioning things this way, even the most mundane things, can be a very important skill. Plus I think it's interesting to see everyone's answers. It's pretty cool to see people that have the same concept but with their own unique differences.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
The piggies that built their home with concrete mixed with volcanic ash will stand the longest against weather and flooding. The possible scenario where it can break apart is by sinkhole or earthquake, otherwise, it'll stand against the test of time against all weather conditions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Without reading other answers.

The danger is undefined. We don't even know if it is "every danger" (which would mean that to answer the question we should make comparision like that:
Code:
 if ( House[i].sturdity > maxDangerous( ArrayOfAllDangersInTheWord) then writeln("it s sturdy enough");
and then answer would be none, because none of them is sturdy enough to survive e.x. tsunami.

If it was "any danger" then we would iterate through all dangers and protecting against one would mean the house is sturdy enough.
And then the answer would be: all

But as a danger is undefined answer is also undefined.

* yes this pseudocode is shit, you can't describe the level of different types of danger with value on one scale.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts