Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me understand the truth about this. I have tested 3 times, and everytime I get ISFJ. But every time, my 2nd type says "You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)". Does the "marginal or no preference 1%" indicate that whatever you type this as, you are both? I exhibit inroverted sensing and intuition characteristics and would like to find out what that means. Elsewhere on the web, I read you are either one or the other...

·
Registered
809 Posts
You just have to figure out what feels most like you. Pretty much Si looks more to the past and Ni looks more to the future. I think you can be 50/50 if you identify with both equally.

I found these examples online, and they seem pretty accurate, they may help you if you feel like you need more explanation, if not, you can ignore them :). They kind of show the thought processes of Ni and Si.

Dominant Si (ISXJ: I know how this works, how it was last week, and how I want it to be in the future. If knitting in that way helped the other person to create that scarf, I feel sure that I can do the same thing by learning the same stitch. I feel happiest when I hold tight to the things that are truly important and lasting in life, such as family, friends, and often, my faith. I find that interesting, but it doesn’t match my memories of what happened. Can you give me more details, so I can decide whether or not to accept it? I know if something or someone is different from how they used to be, and can tell you exactly what has altered. I highly value my past experiences, and find it hard to forget or move past things. I really love participating in local events, family traditions, and cultural things, because it makes me feel like I am part of a living past. I enjoy routine and like things to be predictable.

How Si Acts in all 4 Positions - Funky MBTI in Fiction

Dominant Ni (INXJ: No, I haven’t learned this before. I just know how to do it, that’s all. Let me guess what that means… am I right? Yes! I knew it! You can’t ask me to stop thinking about the future; I think about it all the time! That person is going to do that, and this will happen as a result. I am not wrong. You wait and see. (Told you!) I don’t like this, it didn’t happen the way I anticipated it would! No, I don’t want to change my plan at the last minute! How can I fix this? Where did I go wrong? I have a creative way to explain this process to you! Interpreting symbolism comes easily to me. Visualizing my goals, and my future, makes me happy and energizes me! I can see where I want to be, and where I am, and come up with each step necessary to reach my dreams.

How Ni Acts in all 4 Positions - Funky MBTI in Fiction

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You just have to figure out what feels most like you. Pretty much Si looks more to the past and Ni looks more to the future. I think you can be 50/50 if you identify with both equally.

I found these examples online, and they seem pretty accurate, they may help you if you feel like you need more explanation, if not, you can ignore them :). They kind of show the thought processes of Ni and Si.

Not that I'm going to be any sort of a textbook example (no thanks), but out of the 8, Si scored highest with me, followed by Ni in second.

By your examples, and my past experiences, I would have to say that I follow the traits of Si 90% of the time, and Ni with what's left.

In fact, the only thing that rings a bell with the dominant Ni is that I do go into a temporary tailspin when plans are suddenly changed at the last minute (or when things are thrown to me on very short notice).

Reactions: hopebeat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found that I defer to past experiences a lot, primarily when dealing with issues, important decisions, or problems. But I think to the future a lot, do a lot of planning/trying to figure things out, and overthinking this and that. I think everything can be analzyed, figured out, and broke down. But obviously, everything can't. I also tend to allow some thoughts to be warped into possibilities in my mind that never happen, not sure whats up with that?

Before I did the MBT1, I would have thought my primary was introverted thinking because of the things I always think about. Maybe that's Ni?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not that I'm going to be any sort of a textbook example (no thanks), but out of the 8, Si scored highest with me, followed by Ni in second.

By your examples, and my past experiences, I would have to say that I follow the traits of Si 90% of the time, and Ni with what's left.

In fact, the only thing that rings a bell with the dominant Ni is that I do go into a temporary tailspin when plans are suddenly changed at the last minute (or when things are thrown to me on very short notice).
Yeah, those probably aren't the best examples, they work for me though, you could probably find better explanations somewhere else.

I found this on the same website, which might not be the best, but are these somewhat better descriptions?
Si looks inward for experience. It deals in personalized knowledge. It takes in information and strongly compares itself to its own behavior and experiences. It looks at a situation and interprets it according to how it is internally impacted, as opposed to the facts.

Ni looks inward for ideas. It deals in personalized visions of the future. It creates new ideas and generates visions according to its own dreams and goals. It views the same situation from many different perspectives. It looks at a situation and interprets it according to how it is internally impacted, as opposed to the facts.

Funky MBTI in Fiction — Subjective & Objective Functions
I have actually gotten ISFJ before on cognitive function tests in the past, but the tests can make some functions seem like other functions, so it gets confusing.
I relate more to looking inward for ideas and trying new things then thinking of my experiences then building off of them.

Edit: Also, I do think about the past often, but I don't use the past to consciously make decisions for the future.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah, those probably aren't the best examples, they work for me though, you could probably find better explanations somewhere else.

I found this on the same website, which might not be the best, but are these somewhat better descriptions?

I have actually gotten ISFJ before on cognitive function tests in the past, but the tests can make some functions seem like other functions, so it gets confusing.
I relate more to looking inward for ideas and trying new things then thinking of my experiences then building off of them.

Edit: Also, I do think about the past often, but I don't use the past to consciously make decisions for the future.

These examples, from my own experiences, seem even more closely and evenly matched than the previous set.

I am guilty of often making a decision after putting myself in the other person's shoes to try to visualize exactly how they would feel based upon my directive being with or against their wishes; of how I would feel inside by either granting or declining their wishes;
and how closely a decision I'd made in the past could be drawn upon as a precedent to help assure me that my instincts were sound.

I don't ever plan on it that way, as a routine way of decision-making; instead, I have a gut feeling on what is right, but rehearse a dozen scenarios in my head as a backup plan before I utter a word in favor or against.

I can't believe that all INFJs follow the same pattern, but I (annoyingly) rarely ever see these insights in real-time (as if to say, "I am an INFJ, and I'm about to do something that an INFJ would say and think, and as an INFJ, I will do [this] and [this] afterwards").

Instead, it's only after I've done something that I'll look back upon it and think, "Yes. That, again is an INFJ trait I just mirrored."

It often feels like a cross between being on auto-pilot, and reading a fortune cookie after the fortune has come true. :laughing:

·
Registered
809 Posts
These examples, from my own experiences, seem even more closely and evenly matched than the previous set.

I am guilty of often making a decision after putting myself in the other person's shoes to try to visualize exactly how they would feel based upon my directive being with or against their wishes; of how I would feel inside by either granting or declining their wishes;
and how closely a decision I'd made in the past could be drawn upon as a precedent to help assure me that my instincts were sound.

I don't ever plan on it that way, as a routine way of decision-making; instead, I have a gut feeling on what is right, but rehearse a dozen scenarios in my head as a backup plan before I utter a word in favor or against.

I can't believe that all INFJs follow the same pattern, but I (annoyingly) rarely ever see these insights in real-time (as if to say, "I am an INFJ, and I'm about to do something that an INFJ would say and think, and as an INFJ, I will do [this] and [this] afterwards").

Instead, it's only after I've done something that I'll look back upon it and think, "Yes. That, again is an INFJ trait I just mirrored."

It often feels like a cross between being on auto-pilot, and reading a fortune cookie after the fortune has come true. :laughing:
Oh boy, I'm just going to give up for now and say we're the same but different in our own ways :th_dead:. If I find something else worth posting on here, I will for sure.

I hope we're not confusing the OP too much..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Help me understand the truth about this. I have tested 3 times, and everytime I get ISFJ. But every time, my 2nd type says "You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)". Does the "marginal or no preference 1%" indicate that whatever you type this as, you are both? I exhibit inroverted sensing and intuition characteristics and would like to find out what that means. Elsewhere on the web, I read you are either one or the other...
I get the same thing with T vs F, really the thing that helped me figure it out was that I obviously prefer Ti to Te.

Both Si and Ni look to the past.

Si looks to the past experiences, trends, movements, patters, and situations and critiques the present. It tries to define the present situation based on past experiences.

Ni looks to the past experiences, trends, movements, patters, and situations and anticipates the future. It tries to define future occurrences based on past experiences.

In many ways they are very similar functions, which is not surprising since they are both introverted and perceiving, but the focus of perception is very different.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The best way to identify your own type is to go by functions, NOT the tests. I really hate the tests to be honest - MBTI is meant to be done by a trained professional. I will walk you through the most sound way I can think of to do it by Functions.

1. Choosing F or T

When you are in a stressful situation where you are forced to make a decision you:

T: Your thoughts and cognitive processes determine how you feel.

F: Your emotions determine how you feel about something and in turn your thoughts.

2. Choosing J or P

This question is the same as asking whether you are Fe or Fi//Te or Ti. This step is arguably the most important as it changes your function stack the most. IE) INFJ and INFP don't have much in common.

F: Are you taking in emotions of how you feel other people feel or basing how you feel on your own internal values. (Fe or Fi)

T: Are you thinking things through the structures made by other people or how you have organized it into your own personal cognitive structure. (Te or Ti)

3. Choosing I or E

Simple matter how you take in the world and perceive and function, needing time to recharge or not. (Oversimplified but I feel most people understand this)

4. Choosing S or N

Are you more grounded in your thought process and work from the bottom up. Or, do you start with concepts and work your way down?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts