Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, met an English teacher recently who is a creative fiction writer, seems really interesting. Trying to work out her type on not that much info so far. She's an avid reader. She's really also into detective novels. She's clearly very imaginative so I initially had her pegged as some kind of intuitive.

But when she talks about certain things like beaches she sounds like a sensor talking about the love the waves, the smell, atmosphere. I wouldn't think that's how an intuitive would view the sea.

So, I know this is quite anecdotal, but I was wondering if you talk about sensing a lot that automatically makes you a lot more likely to be a sensing type or if you can just be a more of sensing intuitive or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know the exact answer, haven't had a good chance to observe this. But some types have more balanced N/S ratio thus might be confusing to detect it at first sight. It should be possible to make difference if you communicate more with that person - for example, does she easily understand and follow your more abstract talks or gets rather confused when the talk isn't that literal.

I use this approach to detect if person is high in Si but I've found that for some Se people (ISxP) it hasn't been that obvious indicator - up to some level they've been able to follow quite much my somewhat "sci-fi" style of thinking patterns and they're quite imaginative too. But at some point I've noticed I have to simplify my communication style so that they could follow it more easily - that "something" related to Ne which I'm naturally used to, was still lacking in them :)

·
Registered
ENFP
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately I don't know the exact answer, haven't had a good chance to observe this. But some types have more balanced N/S ratio thus might be confusing to detect it at first sight. It should be possible to make difference if you communicate more with that person - for example, does she easily understand and follow your more abstract talks or gets rather confused when the talk isn't that literal.

I use this approach to detect if person is high in Si but I've found that for some Se people (ISxP) it hasn't been that obvious indicator - up to some level they've been able to follow quite much my somewhat "sci-fi" style of thinking patterns and they're quite imaginative too. But at some point I've noticed I have to simplify my communication style so that they could follow it more easily - that "something" related to Ne which I'm naturally used to, was still lacking in them :)
thanks for the insight. I'm pretty convinced she is some sort of J type as she the 'naturally' organised and planning type, so I suppose that rules out a high Se user.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
Hello. Just based on what you wrote in the OP, being into detective novels and and imaginative doesn’t really point to being an Intuitive - it points to just being a creative/imaginative person (not type related). However, describing the beach in that sort of nuanced physical way does sound more like Si somewhere in the stack. The waves shade of color, the sound, how it makes them feel, what it makes them think of - those are indicative of Si + Fi, but I can’t be sure from that in what order.

·
Registered
ENFP
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello. Just based on what you wrote in the OP, being into detective novels and and imaginative doesn’t really point to being an Intuitive - it points to just being a creative/imaginative person (not type related). However, describing the beach in that sort of nuanced physical way does sound more like Si somewhere in the stack. The waves shade of color, the sound, how it makes them feel, what it makes them think of - those are indicative of Si + Fi, but I can’t be sure from that in what order.
So she must be an STJ then right, based on that analysis?

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
So she must be an STJ then right, based on that analysis?
No, not must be STJ, I'm not sure what type she is based on the description given. Only that the description of the beach sounded like a type that includes the Si function. I've seen ISxJ, INFP and sometimes (but less so) ENFP/ESxJ describe things like that too. They all value Si+Fi somewhere in the stack.

·
Registered
ENFP
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, not must be STJ, I'm not sure what type she is based on the description given. Only that the description of the beach sounded like a type that includes the Si function. I've seen ISxJ, INFP and sometimes (but less so) ENFP/ESxJ describe things like that too. They all value Si+Fi somewhere in the stack.
I thought you meant that the Si would be high up not inferior / lower down. It's unlikely she's a P type anyway as she's a born organiser. And if you are saying you think it's Fi then she can't be an SFJ as they are Fe users (in their main stack).

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
I thought you meant that the Si would be high up not inferior / lower down. It's unlikely she's a P type anyway as she's a born organiser. And if you are saying you think it's Fi then she can't be an SFJ as they are Fe users (in their main stack).
Right. I’ve seen Si Fe describe things like that too because of Si but to a lesser extent, because of Fe. If you say she’s very J and if she’s an introvert, then perhaps ISTJ might fit. I’m just saying it’s not enough information to go by to pinpoint an exact type. It’s just a snippet of one of her behaviors.

·
Registered
INTP
3,834 Posts
I don't think the ability to notice and appreciate the nuances of a beautiful place is just for sensors. I'd suspect sensorship (or at least Se) if the person talked about interacting with the scene, e.g., digging for clams, or wishing they were surfing on the waves.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
I don't think the ability to notice and appreciate the nuances of a beautiful place is just for sensors. I'd suspect sensorship (or at least Se) if the person talked about interacting with the scene, e.g., digging for clams, or wishing they were surfing on the waves.
That’s precisely what Intutives here at Perc have clearly distinguished as their Intuitive perception vs Sensors though (with nuanced, personal physical perceptions being related back to Si rather than Se, which just sees the sand as sand color and not a specific shade of sand color - as a simple example). Time and time again, they have said that when they look at an object, they do not see the object or its physical characteristics but something other, that they have tied together with the object but isn’t directly related to it (possibilities/concepts/etc). The dreamy reminiscing is also a characteristic of Si users (how the sand made them feel when they walked on it, memories it brought forth, how it brought back nostalgia, the feeling and mood of the scene) - very physical and value based. Se users: beach was clean, dirty, fun, waves were large, went surfing, went swimming, had a bbq, sea was blue, I was with friends. Si users: beach was sort of clean but not as clean as I liked, sea was this certain shade of blue, it felt really nice to have this bbq again with my friends like old times, the whole thing made me feel good, like things were back to the good old days. I haven’t seen Intutives gone into the details of what they see in front of them like this.

·
Administrator
INTP
11,809 Posts
An intuitive creative fiction writer would need to learn to be descriptive about scenery, I think.

@Dalien might have some insights regarding intuitive writing. ?

·
Registered
INTP
3,834 Posts
@Bunniculla
Mmkay, so an intuitive would think what? This beach is for rich people; too bad about the pollution; maybe I should bring my friend next time ... ?

·
Administrator
INTP
11,809 Posts
Mmkay, so an intuitive would think what? This beach is for rich people; too bad about the pollution; maybe I should bring my friend next time ... ?
Intuitive:

Wait, there's a beach? Have I passed by it before?

😂

·
Registered
INTP
3,834 Posts
You are so right. I hate it when people give directions by landmarks.

"Turn right where the blue Pontiac used to park, go over the little bridge, and it's just past the big tree."

I swear there is no bridge, and there are dozens of big trees. Can't you draw me a map or tell me the address or something?

·
Administrator
INTP
11,809 Posts
You are so right. I hate it when people give directions by landmarks.

"Turn right where the blue Pontiac used to park, go over the little bridge, and it's just past the big tree."

I swear there is no bridge, and there are dozens of big trees. Can't you draw me a map or tell me the address or something?
😂

I usually pretend I've remembered in the end, just to shut them up. I nod along thinking I'll figure it out on the way

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
@Bunniculla
I have no idea personally, since I'm not an Intuitive. If I go by what other Intuitive typed people have said, then something along those lines. "That fan is not a fan. Fan > summer > heat > something something Ne"?

Also, I am talking about preferences. If you prefer to see what is, then you don't prefer to see what's not there and vice versa. So If you see the beach in all of its colors, textures, other physical attributes, then you aren't seeing possibilities/other vague connections/etc.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That’s precisely what Intutives here at Perc have clearly distinguished as their Intuitive perception vs Sensors though (with nuanced, personal physical perceptions being related back to Si rather than Se, which just sees the sand as sand color and not a specific shade of sand color - as a simple example). Time and time again, they have said that when they look at an object, they do not see the object or its physical characteristics but something other, that they have tied together with the object but isn’t directly related to it (possibilities/concepts/etc).
I pretty much agree with this understanding and I'd say it's rather obvious to notice that difference if we observe enough how different people express themselves. I (enfp) could say I most likely would first get just an overall impression or vibe of the given place without paying attention to details and object's characteristics. And then there's automatically next thought: what could be there instead of what it actually is.

For example - wow, this is in overall a nice place to stay for meditation, connection with universe or even for psychedelic tripping :) As you can see, those clearly aren't properties of the place itself. Even a few years ago I literally didn't see places themselves while travelling - give me whatever wonder of the world and I only thought "hah, maybe around the corner there's even something better?". Though, over recent years I've learned to see interesting places more through Se lenses - just take the place as it is and don't wonder too much neither about details or what it could be.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
An intuitive creative fiction writer would need to learn to be descriptive about scenery, I think.

@Dalien might have some insights regarding intuitive writing. ?
I wrote the below poem sitting on a glider looking at the garden in my backyard (pic below, laid down this past May and June and mind my sister-in-law had a hand in this—it’s our garden—when I plant, I plan it out; even when I buy the plants or seeds)...

I could tell you the colors but that would be rather bland to me. I could say something like ivory white rose, as that is its color, but I would say what that rose means. Making a live garden come alive is what I naturally do—what does it convey, not what it just looks like. I could write very descriptive—this would necessitate that I wrap my head around it meaning thinking more upon it and not intuitively; even though, I guess intuitive is a part. Like the beach scenario—I heard the hush of the seaweed green sea as it thrashed across the bronzed sand. The crescendo brought forth stirring memories from another time. Pristine.

The other early evening
Sitting benched and quiet
Gazing the frivolities of a backyard garden
A ghost of a red rose sat stark
Full of color alive became its follow
The lyrics danced and shimmered
There where the hush meets its ground
Others played like a waltz but one
The power of mother giving breath
Oh how she danced the eyes glimmer
All that was left faded the words
And here you feel the white rose rest

So, with this said, @Dscross, what were her actual words about the beach?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts