Personality Cafe banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wrote the below poem sitting on a glider looking at the garden in my backyard (pic below, laid down this past May and June and mind my sister-in-law had a hand in this—it’s our garden—when I plant, I plan it out; even when I buy the plants or seeds)...

I could tell you the colors but that would be rather bland to me. I could say something like ivory white rose, as that is its color, but I would say what that rose means. Making a live garden come alive is what I naturally do—what does it convey, not what it just looks like. I could write very descriptive—this would necessitate that I wrap my head around it meaning thinking more upon it and not intuitively; even though, I guess intuitive is a part. Like the beach scenario—I heard the hush of the seaweed green sea as it thrashed across the bronzed sand. The crescendo brought forth stirring memories from another time. Pristine.

The other early evening
Sitting benched and quiet
Gazing the frivolities of a backyard garden
A ghost of a red rose sat stark
Full of color alive became its follow
The lyrics danced and shimmered
There where the hush meets its ground
Others played like a waltz but one
The power of mother giving breath
Oh how she danced the eyes glimmer
All that was left faded the words
And here you feel the white rose rest

View attachment 866584

So, with this said, @Dscross, what were her actual words about the beach?
Just that she loves the waves, the smell, atmosphere etc, 'I love the sea so much'. It wasn't poetic or anything. I've spent a bit more time with her and she seems a bit ENTJish to me so might suggest a childlike Se. Still not sure though.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,124 Posts
An SI type is still S, what you say is not at all unusual for them. They're gonna be more SE than an ENTJ anyways.

·
Registered
ENFP
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
An SI type is still S, what you say is not at all unusual for them. They're gonna be more SE than an ENTJ anyways.
I don't really get your point properly. Could you elaborate? Do you just mean an Se or Si user will just talk about the same kind of stuff? (just to elaborate: I meant after talking to her and observing lots of other things, this one anecdotal thing notwithstanding).

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,124 Posts
I don't really get your point properly. Could you elaborate? Do you just mean an Se or Si user will just talk about the same kind of stuff? (just to elaborate: I meant after talking to her and observing lots of other things, this one anecdotal thing notwithstanding).
I mean what she said doesn't rule out being an SJ especially if it's habitual for her. Yes they can talk about the same stuff, it depends on a more general context of their lives and especially how defensive they are when it comes to changes which is when P vs J preference become most apparent.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,252 Posts
As suggested a writer is likely to have worked on developing their descriptive ability - or may have picked it up from reading a lot of authors who write that way.

I think.... how well you are able to describe sensory things is not that much of an indicator. Like... I don't think intuitive's senses are duller than Sensing people's or that they can't notice details, though they are often distracted from their physical surroundings. It's not so much the ability to take in things through the senses, but a difference in focusing on them more often or less often. If you sometimes tune into your senses and pay close attention at those times, while someone else tunes into their senses most of the time - they may have a broader sampling, but you can still have a vivid sensory experience in those few times you did pay attention.

As someone touched on above, I have noticed some evidence that for some reason those strong in Ni (with Se) seem to do less detail describing in their writing than people strong in Ne (with Si), I'm not really sure why this would be (if it actually is true).

Personally, I am quite certain I'm INFP, but I do like to paint pictures with words when I write to try to share what I see, hear, smell, feel, in my imagination. I think I tend to use comparisons a lot while describing things, but I also use plenty of descriptive words. I'm usually just trying to convey an experience and don't necessarily focus on the significance or some deeper meaning behind the sight/smell/texture etc. - it's more setting the mood or context. When talking with someone I don't always give all the details if they are not important to the reason I'm sharing the memory, but I do describe experiences I really enjoyed or really didn't enjoy.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts