Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken many personality tests over the years and have always gotten either INFP or INFJ. A recent test I took earlier today didn't know which one to place me in :bored: So I am wondering if I can be both? Am I a special snowflake now? LOL

· Banned
1,840 Posts
Short answer: No, you can't.

Long answer: You're either one or the other. It's more reliable to read up on function theory, which is what MBTI is based on, than test results. It IS possible to look like a certain type though, e.g. I'm most definitely INFJ but I generally look more like an INFP. The distinctions become clear the more you learn about function theory/cognitive functions. Plus, some other personality stuff like enneagram can influence how the type you are manifests.

Just remember, your type doesn't make you, you make your type! :) Some things are simply inherently you. Good luck!

Edit: just a bit of warning though, you'll find that some people find it very easy to identify what functions they use, while some have more difficulty. Many assume that you'll know your dominant/first one right away, but it can be obscure as well, especially if you lead with an introverted one, like both INFJs and INFPs do. At least that's how I experienced it.

· Registered
103 Posts
In my understanding of this (which DISCLAIMER I can be wrong since i'm a bit new to this), the INFJ quite literally doesn't share any similar cognitive functions to the INFP.

INFJ is:
Ni
Fe
Ti
Se

INFP is:
Fi
Ne
Si
Te

It's quite easy imho to find out once you research Fi vs Fe a bit and get an understanding of the nature of these functions. Once you do i'm sure you'll easily be able to identify which one you are.

Basically though, if you are more inclined to sacrifice yourself to keep the harmony of the group and not have anyone upset you're an INFJ, if you hold to your inner feelings "in your own little world" so to speak not caring as much about keeping the group harmonious but care more about holding to your ideals regardless if anyone gets upset you're an INFP.

And the most obvious tell IMO is if you use Ni. Once I read the description of Ni I was like "OMG, this is what i've been doing my whole life!!"

When gathering information do you lead by looking at the threshold of your concious and subconscious mind until you get a flash of insight not really knowing where it came from but you just kinda KNOW that you know? Then you're an INFJ.

Do you basically absorb other peoples emotions and pickup on intentions, reactions before others even know they are there? You're an INFJ.

Do you feel like you know everything about someone and can see there whole psyche as a picture rather instantly? You're an INFJ

I'll stop while i'm ahead hehe :tongue:

· Registered
437 Posts
A good way to check is to try to figure out your inferior function. For INFJs, it's Extraverted Sensing. For INFPs, it's Extraverted Thinking. One (Se) is a perceiving function, all about gathering information. The other (Te) is a judging function, all about making things happen.

So then, good question to ask yourself might be: when I'm stressed, do I become something of a busybody, making sure everything is done "correctly," or do I become spacey, caught up in the moment, lost in what's going on around you?

· Registered
480 Posts
On non-function based more general tests I get INFP 100% of the time now but there are a few around that ask more about perceptions and internal processes which pull an INFJ result from me. I tend to relate to the INFP description quite well but I do tend to perceive things in an INFJ way supposedly..

I think in baseline MBTI without the functions it is possible to be somewhere in the middle of an INFP/INFJ(or both) because there are technically no function distinctions. I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of INFJs outgrow the need to be productive and organised as they get older and to their horror find themselves typing INFP on most tests.

But yeah, look at the functions :) Have a search around the INFJ/INFP forums for comparisons. or yeah...

But to answer as to whether you're one or the other as a 'type', check out some youtube videos, they're awesome :)
I love watching how people interact through differences and similarities while showing authenticity.

Quick google retrieves these too:

· Registered
2,898 Posts
No.

But others will explain.

Our functions are completely different, we see the world differently - there are far more differences between the two than similarities and it is more than a P/J difference. We are two completely separate types. You'd find more similarities between ISFJs and INFJs then INFPs and INFJs.

· Registered
480 Posts
After looking at the graphics I posted I realised that I don't relate to any of the things on the INFP portion past a shallow extent but the INFJ side of things are things I relate to and see myself in. Seems so much more simple and obvious than reading up about functions.

I do measure a few things by personal value(mostly sentiments, and need for interpersonal respect) but it rarely weighs in on a situation. I've also been trying to make my emotional needs more apparent to myself so that I don't forgo them as easily because it'll seriously throw me off if I'm too disconnected.

I do like ISFJs when we're talking about people but I'm slightly more lost when I talk to INFPs about people because I don't get what they're after in the conversation/can't see where it's heading. I also just visited the INFP forum and very few of the thread titles are actually things that I would have thought of or would cross my mind. I seem to lack that constantly expansive mindset that can sometimes become lost(in an Ne way, Ni has a different way of doing it).

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Judging by the graphics and charts posted, I suppose I am FJ. A few things on the FP scale resonated a bit, so I will still look into both sides to be sure.

Thanks for all the help!

· Registered
3,164 Posts
What helped me was distinguishing between the inferior/tertiary functions. While I sometimes score high on Ne and Fi, I have absolutely without a doubt zero Si, and Te is still the most unusual beast I've ever encountered. I'm very familiar and comfortable with Se, so while it was not the normal way to go about things, working backwards helped me figure it out.

· Retired Administrator
23,927 Posts
If you are an INFP you are Fi dom. So you should easily be able to distinguish once you get an understanding of Fe and observe how it works. Unfortunately, there is a lot of confusing (and misleading) descriptions of how Fi and Fe differ.

INFJ aren't feeling doms either, but their feeling function is often played up in descriptions, perhaps because it is extroverted so more obvious than INFP's. So if you most relate to the feeling function in some common descriptions (which barely describe Fe) you may be infp.

But yeah--look at ESFJs--that should help you understand whether you are an Fe user and they are fairly common (and no--they are not really like 'your grandma' the way some stereotypes describe--more like fashionable, popular hostesses).

And then perhaps try to understand how Ne works--jumping from idea to idea, getting engrossed in one and then moving on. Open ended brainstorming vs. narrowing down and clinging to conclusion. I would imagine INFJ wouldn't relate well to Ne, just as INFP wouldn't relate well to Fe (unless looking at a misleading description of Fe--such as 'cares about harmony' or 'doesn't value one's own emotions above others' which are both bogus descriptions).

You could also read Jung's descriptions of Fi and Ni, and then Fe if you want.

Ni snapshot (INXJ): Either the mystical dreamer/prophet type, and on the other hand the fantastical crank. INFP might be able to relate to this a little bit, but just ask yourself how significant the role of feeling plays--if it's more significant than intuition, then you are more likely to be feeling-dom like infp.

http://personalitycafe.com/infj-art...on-introverted-intuitve-type-ni-dominant.html

Fi snapshot(IXFP): Deep, intensive feelings. "Still waters run deep." Rebuffs strong emotions when overwhelmed--when unhealthy may be prone to scrutinizing and suspicious behavior towards other people's true motives (thoughts), pushes away, rejects and makes others feel undervalued when stressed.

http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/70527-jung-introverted-feeling-type.html

Fe snapshot (EXFJ): Agreeable with the valuations of others ('I agree that painting is beautiful because others do'), more involved in group/community events--more comfortable around groups, when unhealthy gets absorbed into object and attaches negative thoughts to it, and appears inconsistent and contrived when stressed.

http://personalitycafe.com/esfj-art...ion-extraverted-feeling-type-fe-dominant.html

· Registered
40 Posts
Maybe you should try the cognitive functions test. It helps identify your dominant function and you can use that to compare with in INFJ INFP functions and find out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.