Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an infj, I wasn't sure before, but I am now.
Ever since I was younger, I have been able to literally feel ( I cannot give a better description than to tell that I could feel a literal discomfort in my chest, not a sharp pain, not gas. It was more like a unsettling pressure) others emotions.

It was always those that were closest to me. And usually the stronger the emotion or energy, the stronger the sensation within me.

Now after many years of me trying to deny my status as 1. and infj, 2. and empath, and 3. and highly sensitive person, I became a little numb to the feeling.

However after a recent occurrence, it all came back.

After talking with a person about a topic that usually brings me stress, I was able to separate myself from the emotion or energy I was receiving and calm down. I put me in deep thought and made me rethink everything.

I'm asking this to see if anyone relates or has had similar experiences.

The feeling is strange and new for me and after a long time of trying to just push this to the side, I think it's time to address it and see if maybe someone else has some insight.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5 Sx/ So
4,122 Posts
I can only speak for myself. Yes, my entire life I've been able to tap into or be flooded by other people's energy. For me, I had to develope a way to guard against it, or else going out into public drained me so much that I'd be extremely exhausted. Now, I just allow myself to tap into it to get the vibe of a person. Heavily emotionally charged encounters still might get the best of me, but I'm still learning. Try to learn how to read and process the energy that your feeling. Getting a better understanding on what exactly you're experiencing might help. I try not to take it all on and I limit myself from encountering several people a day, anymore. If I know that I'm going to have to be around several people or crowds, I prepare myself emotionally and mentally and then, I allow much needed down time to process. It's only when I don't have that down time or alone time that I greatly suffer. I hope that it gets better for you!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do and for me it's a problem. I actually have bad social anxiety because of that. I constantly need to distract myself to not get overwhelmed by people, whether with music when in public or by fidgeting when I'm with friends.
I can't remember when this started but I became aware of it in high school. It got worse with time until I was 20 and stopped going out of the house for a few months. It got better during the last 4 years but it's still a big problem.
I'm very sensitive to negative emotions, and for me it's not just a "pressure" in the chest anymore, it's like someone's sitting on me and even punching me sometimes. To some extent I can distance myself from people's sadness and personal issues now but I literally can't distance myself from any aggressive behavior. As soon as someone raises their voice I have to walk away or I'll have a panic attack.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 Scorpio
2,223 Posts
Yes, always, since childhood. Individuals, crowds, people live on stage (not so much filmed things) . . . Weirder yet, I can often feel an ambient emotion supercharging an empty room or site of some past event. It's wonderful/horrible. I absolutely love/completely detest it. Being an INFJ is the best/the worst.

It can be dealt with: I've come to be able usually to put aside these perceptions when desirable just in order to get on with things. I mean, when I've of necessity put them aside, I still feel their presence, and can tap into them, but can still proceed without their affecting me. Occasionally, though, a person or a place will be negatively overwhelming, and all I can do is to absent myself. On the other hand, to (for instance) feel so completely engaged with an actor you're observing is exhilarating.

It enriches life. It's best not to deny it. It's part of you. Embrace it. Sounds like you're handling this well. Be strong!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Yes, although for me it's not physical.

Physical sensations from emotional discomfort are due to the brain sending out signals along the nerves in reaction to heightened emotion.
In order for this to occur, the mind must be hyperfocused on emotions - if you block most of the thoughts related to the emotion successfully, the physical sensations cease.

Ever since I was a small kid, I felt emotions coming from others / an empty room.
My mother was actually extremely accommodating, she believed my "feelings" which I didn't have words for, and we would leave places that I didn't feel comfortable in. There were also many times that I stayed in the car rather than go into a public place, because I always interpreted it as "something is wrong," , "that person is bad."
The sense of those feelings washing over me felt like it eclipsed me - like I was being permanently tainted by something, so I began to avoid those moments at all costs. I also began to wash my hands a lot.

There were certain people that I didn't want to be around, and school was a dreaded overwhelming experience... I finally succeeded in convincing my mother I could be homeschooled instead, LOL.

In some ways it doesn't seem good that I was so indulged on these feelings - but realistically I realize I would have been reacting the same even with a doubtful, firmer, parent. It was too intense to deny, and perhaps my mother saved my sanity in some ways by letting me get away from feelings I couldn't deal with.

On the other hand... I also know this path, if walked down long & far enough, leads to insanity.
There's only so much of the intangible that can be indulged before someone starts to become over-reactive to stimuli that isn't really there. It's a real head trip, and I'd advise absolutely anyone - please don't let yourself go as crazy as I did.
I'm certain there's a scientific reason why this can happen with some people - it doesn't have to be esoteric or "spiritual", that's just the easy way out of explaining it.

You can train your thoughts - it's just hard work. But totally worth it.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Yes definitely, going along with Rebecca.M you can eventually train yourself to withstand it. I admit I went crazy myself lol. But yeah have to get on with life. I have changed many jobs and am just starting to stick to what I have now..in a sense.
I would say I never dealt with it til a lot later. And never tried to understand it in a realistic way. I always felt people were alien but anyway it is fairly okay now. A lot of it is positive thinking and maintaining your own space. I think what Rebecca.M mentions, at least for me is that when your focus is on yourself you react less to what happens outside of you. It's a good place to be in.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,488 Posts
I am very sensitive to people's emotional energies and can be easily overwhelmed by them at times but I don't think I experience it on the same level or in the same way as some people do....or maybe I am not paying that much attention to it so haven't given it too much thought. It's hard to say.

I have an easier time handling "negative" or...lower vibrational emotional energy by focusing positively. So when I'm in a positive, clear frame of mind, it's more likely that I can change the atmosphere around me, rather than it changing me. In addition, I personally have an easier time dealing with those things when I understand why a person is experiencing something...or what's going on. If I know how to alleviate it or help in some way and I can tap into that place of peaceful observation, it is helpful. But from the way you described things, it sounds like you've already sort of tapped into that. Actually, I would say it's more likely that a topic is stressing me out due to my own internal issues that I need to resolve. But yeah, depends on the context.

I do think it's spiritual but I also believe there's a scientific explanation for it...but I don't think that makes something less spiritual. Just because I believe we're all spiritual beings.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've always been this way too. Reiki helps me a lot, I do it on myself in the evening while listening to something trance like, like drum music. Spending time in nature is supposed to help with this as well. I do find this to be true; walking outside, especially in the woods, by myself, helps me feel more centered and regulated when I've taken in too much of other's emotions.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ever since I was younger, I have been able to literally feel ( I cannot give a better description than to tell that I could feel a literal discomfort in my chest, not a sharp pain, not gas. It was more like a unsettling pressure) others emotions.
That's what being INFJ is all about!

Reactions: PowerMechGuy

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

It was always those that were closest to me. And usually the stronger the emotion or energy, the stronger the sensation within me.

Now after many years of me trying to deny my status as 1. and infj, 2. and empath, and 3. and highly sensitive person, I became a little numb to the feeling.

However after a recent occurrence, it all came back.

After talking with a person about a topic that usually brings me stress, I was able to separate myself from the emotion or energy I was receiving and calm down. I put me in deep thought and made me rethink everything.

I'm asking this to see if anyone relates or has had similar experiences.

The feeling is strange and new for me and after a long time of trying to just push this to the side, I think it's time to address it and see if maybe someone else has some insight.

Thank you for your time.
I am curious about something. Why do you call this "receiving the emotions of others"?

Receiving? Really?

When you are in a class and a teacher gives you new information, do you call that receiving information?

All that is happening is that you see the person and your brain (subconsciously) reads body language, facial expressions and voice, and understands what that person is experiencing and then comunicates that knowledge to you through a feeling. There is no transmission of any kind other than visual body language and voice. In T's it's the same process except for the last step. T's just become aware of the knowledge but don't feel it (at all or very little.)

There is no transfer of "Energy". But why is empathy so often expressed in ways like it is something magical?

"Oh I feel your energy,.... "... no, what you feel is just your own brain trying to make you consciously aware of some things you perceived.

Often when I mention this, people get upset. As if I'm dismissing them. But I'm not. To me it's the moral thing to do to make people aware of reality in stead of some belief in magic. Also I think that reality is many times more amazing than magic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
T's just become aware of the knowledge but don't feel it (at all or very little.)
There is no transfer of "Energy".
I agree that it's not a transfer per se but it definitely feels like it because when someone is sad, I almost always become sad to some extent, it's not my emotion but I'm still sad as if they were giving/transferring it to me.

Reactions: PowerMechGuy

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Given that you are a thinker and we are in a rational-thought-loving world of people for the most part, your post does not surprise me.
But where I believe you are incorrect is where you so strongly insisted your point of view is the correct one. It is not. It is simply the way _you_ see the world.

I’m spiritual and I work in science. I also am a woman who can see quite clearly that much of the world favors men and rational thought over women and feelings when trying to prove a point. It is ignorant, however, to insist that the only relevant data worth talking about is rational. I will simply assume you have not explored feeling at all, which is a shame because the heart center is some juicy stuff. But I guess it’s scary for some so they repress and ignore, finding safety in the clean clear lines of rationality.
Let me ask you, you’ve seen birds flying in large groups when they do seasonal migration, yes? You’ve seen them instantly move as one. This isn’t magic, you are right, but they are communicating, and the eyes and ears cannot see it. My favorite author studied horses for years and years. She states that there are neural (brain)cells in most of the body, that humans and animals send energy back and forth NOT ONLY in body language and vocal communication using the body and brain, but also via feelings in the heart and the belly. Horses have a giant digestive system and when she connected with her horses over time, she would startle when they would, as a herd, based on a gut feeling before she would even see there was any potential danger in the area.

I’ve only shared this information in case you wish to expand your worldview, I have no interest in debating a not-wordly-supported topic with someone who strongly believes all that is relevant is the body and the mind. There are plenty of (mostly female) authors who have mastered emotions and feelings if you wish to expand, as well as many spiritual texts if you’d like to go into even a fourth dimension. Might not be for you in this lifetime, but trust me, there is more and you can’t just dismiss it with insistence you are right and discounting it by calling it magic. @Peter

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I am curious about something. Why do you call this "receiving the emotions of others"?

Receiving? Really?

When you are in a class and a teacher gives you new information, do you call that receiving information?

All that is happening is that you see the person and your brain (subconsciously) reads body language, facial expressions and voice, and understands what that person is experiencing and then comunicates that knowledge to you through a feeling. There is no transmission of any kind other than visual body language and voice. In T's it's the same process except for the last step. T's just become aware of the knowledge but don't feel it (at all or very little.)

There is no transfer of "Energy". But why is empathy so often expressed in ways like it is something magical?

"Oh I feel your energy,.... "... no, what you feel is just your own brain trying to make you consciously aware of some things you perceived.

Often when I mention this, people get upset. As if I'm dismissing them. But I'm not. To me it's the moral thing to do to make people aware of reality in stead of some belief in magic. Also I think that reality is many times more amazing than magic.
Explain how I feel like I'm burning up, like I'm on fire, when I can sense someone is stressed and getting all ragey, yet not showing it? This burning sensation has proven to be right too many times to count, I actually get hot and start to sweat - because some other guy is stressing out about something and getting all antsy, in my peripheral vision or even out of my sight.

I've considered that perhaps I'm picking up on other peoples vibes - i.e, someone else sees the antsy person, and I'm picking up on their vibes with regards to the antsy person, even though they're not showing anything physical, and even though I can't see the person they see.

There's also other things in my life - often times, I'll feel down or stressed about something, and I'll know it doesn't make sense at the time, because I'm a laid back guy, I'll actually think to myself, why am I so stressed out?
It's not until a while later that it'll click that I'm feeling this way because my wife is stressed out about something - it's not ME who's stressed out. She'll just be reading a book and I know something is up and it'll stress me out.

One thing I'm sure you're right on, is my "magical" ability to know when people are lying or telling the truth etc, I do it all the time and it pisses my friends off and sorta spoils some shows my wife and family watch (crime shows etc) where I'll just be like "that guys the killer, yeah?" and everyone will be like.. "nah he hasn't even been in it yet". Well I'm always right.
My hunches are bang on with that stuff it's ridiculous.
I understand this can be explained via body language - I've never been trained, but I must just be a natural with body language - it's this bit that has me confused with the stuff above.

Is it possible I'm picking up second-hand emotions, of sorts, from body language - like if someone else saw someone stressing out - am I looking at them, and picking up something subconsciously, that can be explained logically, via their body language - that reflects what they are seeing/feeling, even if I don't see it myself?

I think about this stuff all the time because I feel like.. I'm not a psychic.. there's got to be something 'real' happening.
Whatever it is, I can't nail it, but I definitely do pick up on things like that, really easily, and really often.

I realise this all sounds contradictory - I'm an INFJ - talking about logical explanations for what I feel - but, what can I say?
I truly do FEEL these things. Like literally a sensation in my body. Negative stuff feels like I'm on fire. I 'feel' red.
Happier stuff feels like.. for lack of a better word, 'white'. Light. Like a weight has been lifted and I feel 'white'.

When someone is super happy about something - this is something anyone can see, they'll be smiling etc, this isn't any kind of psychic empath crap - I will feel the colour 'white'.

I'm not dumb enough to think it's magic. I know fully well there's a logical explanation for this stuff.
I don't know exactly what it is.

I'm one of those people who hear notes/music/sounds etc.. and have it sound like a colour though, so yeah, I mean, I don't know what's going on exactly logically, but I'm sure there's an explanation for it all.
I don't have synaesthesia to the extent that it cripples my life, like it does in people who truly suffer from it (some of them just about can't leave the house, it severely affects them to the point they can't do anything without being overwhelmed), so I definitely don't have that to any massive degree.

It's also music, super loud noises and 'emotions' exclusively that make me feel colours, I'm not hampered by everyday noises etc.

Sorry for rambling.
What you said clicked with what I'm feeling, and thinking, at the same time.
Figured it warranted a response.

·
Registered
448 Posts
@Turi I like how you described emotions with colors, my INFJ friend has synaesthesia as well and she does the same. She also thinks of numbers as colors.

Anyway, I definitely get what you mean by picking up on people's emotions. There's just something in the air. It doesn't have to be apparent on their face. The tone of their voice is a very good indication too, or the fact that they walk around restlessly, they're fidgeting, looking around, looking at the sky, sighing. Sometimes, it's just in the words they choose to use.

Weirdest thing that ever happened to me was watching some YouTuber's channel, seeing just how restless and frustrated they were, listening to them say that everything is fine when asked about it, until a few months later when they ended up admitting that they were going through something. I mean I don't know that person that much, how could I pick up on that when the person going through it themselves couldn't because I don't think that they lied. There's nothing magical about it, it's just hard to explain.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts

Receiving? Really?

Welcome to the annoying side of the INFJ forum haha.

People having a larger number of mirror neurons can explain most of this.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,488 Posts
We are all made of energy so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to describe it in that way. But I'm of the belief that there's a 6th sense and probably many more plus I believe we all have psychic abilities that most of us haven't tapped into (all humans, not just INFJ's). Not magic, just a side of reality which a lot of people don't believe is real. I don't believe this stuff is always due to the 6th sense but sometimes it probably is. There's much about reality that we still have yet to discover or don't fully understand.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Given that you are a thinker and we are in a rational-thought-loving world of people for the most part, your post does not surprise me.
But where I believe you are incorrect is where you so strongly insisted your point of view is the correct one. It is not. It is simply the way _you_ see the world.

I’m spiritual and I work in science. I also am a woman who can see quite clearly that much of the world favors men and rational thought over women and feelings when trying to prove a point. It is ignorant, however, to insist that the only relevant data worth talking about is rational. I will simply assume you have not explored feeling at all, which is a shame because the heart center is some juicy stuff. But I guess it’s scary for some so they repress and ignore, finding safety in the clean clear lines of rationality.
Let me ask you, you’ve seen birds flying in large groups when they do seasonal migration, yes? You’ve seen them instantly move as one. This isn’t magic, you are right, but they are communicating, and the eyes and ears cannot see it. My favorite author studied horses for years and years. She states that there are neural (brain)cells in most of the body, that humans and animals send energy back and forth NOT ONLY in body language and vocal communication using the body and brain, but also via feelings in the heart and the belly. Horses have a giant digestive system and when she connected with her horses over time, she would startle when they would, as a herd, based on a gut feeling before she would even see there was any potential danger in the area.

I’ve only shared this information in case you wish to expand your worldview, I have no interest in debating a not-wordly-supported topic with someone who strongly believes all that is relevant is the body and the mind. There are plenty of (mostly female) authors who have mastered emotions and feelings if you wish to expand, as well as many spiritual texts if you’d like to go into even a fourth dimension. Might not be for you in this lifetime, but trust me, there is more and you can’t just dismiss it with insistence you are right and discounting it by calling it magic. @Peter
Feelings I know. I have them too. They just aren't part of my information processing, like it in you and other feelers. It took me years to understand how feelers think. I still can't really imagine what it's like for you, but technically I do understand it. Your brain processes some information, it then literally generates a feeling in your body which you then consciously perceive and from which point you can continue your thoughts.

You may wonder why this is so difficult to understand, but it's probably as difficult as it is for you (and me too actually) to understand how an ESFP needs to physically move in order to be able to think. Their brains make them move so they can continue a though process. (I haven't figured this one out completely yet, but it's just as interesting as understanding how feeler brains work.)

For me as a thinker, feelings exist, but they are not part of my thought processes. Feelings are input information, just like information from the eyes and ears for example. When I feel something, my brain right away goes like: Hey, why am I feeling that?..... oh because of this and that,... ok.... done. That's called dealing with emotions. That works fine unless I don't know why I am feeling something. And then I'll be obsessed with it until I figured it out.

Just mentioning these things so you realize that I'm not just some blunt ignorant Thinker that wants to laugh at Feelers.

All the things that you mention, like the birds moving in synchrony, the herd of horses working together, and many similar things that exist..... I don't deny that these things happen. We just have very different opinions as to why these things are possible.

In my opinion, using spirituality (or god), or energy transfer that can't be measured by machines,.. all that stuff,.... is just a sign that we don't really understand what is going on. And when humans don't understand something they have 2 ways of dealing with it: They can ignore it, or they can try to figure it out. And when they try to figure it out, but don't have the knowledge required to understand it yet, always the conclusion is something religious, spiritual or aliens.

And then time passes until science figured it out and then we understand how it really works.

And it's real fun sometimes too. Like when Deepak Chopra found out that in quantum mechanics it is said that all particles in the universe are connected to eachother on some quantum level,.... he concluded that telepathy or other kinds of "magical" connections between people and even animals, are possible.

But they aren't.

I think it's great you want to believe in these kinds of explanations, but from my point of view you just greatly underestimate the abilities of our brains while at the same time you greatly overestimate the events that you witness.

Migrating birds flying together for example in those V-shapes. Is that so special? We did the same thing as teenagers on our way to school on our bicycles. 2 kids next to eachother at the front, then 2 behind that, then 2 behind that, creating a long chain of 40 or 50 kids sometimes. The 2 at the front have the full wind at them and have to work the hardest. But only for a minute, then they move to the side and fall back to the end of the group and the next 2 have to work their asses off to keep the whole group going, but also for just a minute.

There is no comunication going on between the members of the group. The only thing needed is that everyone knows the rules. And then the whole thing happens pretty much by itself. This is true for the kids on their bikes and for the birds in the sky.

The horses example too,... they all know the rules. They all know what to pay attention to and when 1 hourse sees a preditor it will hesitate and the horse that sees this will react the same. This goes fast, within seconds the whole herd is aware that there is danger. But only 1 horse knows what that danger is. And he will probably then make the right sounds to comunicate what that danger is.

As to having brain cells outside of the brain,... yes that is true. But they don't send information to other people. They have specialized functions. Like the neurons in the retina of the eyes so we can see. I know the stomach has neurons too, but I don't know the exact function of them. But it's probably related to better understanding the content of the stomach. There are neurons near in other parts of the body as well. And gurus (like deepak) right away use that information to prove how right they are about the stuff they are preaching. And it works well especially when it's something that science hasn't figured out yet or when it's something so complicated few people can understand it (like quantum mechanics).

My curiosity and the reason I decided to participate in this thread is because I want to know how you experience these things. I'm trying to figure out why people continue to believe this "magic" even when science did actually figure something out and has explained it. I know that the power of an experience can be very strong but 2 + 2 equals 4 no matter what. If it feels like 7, why can't you conclude that your feelings might be wrong?

When you believe somthing to be true, and then find out it is wrong, it should not matter if that wrong belief was the result of a thought or a feeling. But for some reason, if we felt it, it somehow must be true, because it seems that feelings are always right. (Feelings are always real, but there is no guarantee that a feeling is the correct conclusion.)

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Welcome to the annoying side of the INFJ forum haha.

People having a larger number of mirror neurons can explain most of this.
Mirror neurons fire when the person (or animal) observes a behaviour. The keyword here is "observes". It does that with it's senses, mostly eyes and ears. That makes perfect sense. It shows there is no energy transfer involved.

I always wondered why they use the word energy and not data. Data would make more sense. I guess we were first confronted with energy transmissions and much later with information transmissions. So energy beat data to it.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I agree that it's not a transfer per se but it definitely feels like it because when someone is sad, I almost always become sad to some extent, it's not my emotion but I'm still sad as if they were giving/transferring it to me.
You only start to feel that once you saw or heard them. Or, when you´re told they are sad.

I mean, you won't get sad when you´re in a hotel room even though the person in the room next to you is super sad because her husband told her he is going to divorce her.

Sometimes there are cases where this actually happens. It is then wise to wonder if that person not simply got that information without being aware of it. If we don't know, it must be a magical energy transfer or something spiritual of course :smile:

Look how amazingly subconsciously perceptive we are:

In a different setting, you could easily claim that Derren and the 2 marketing guys had a magical connection that caused them to have the same ideas...... I prefer reality over magical connections.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts