Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking how certain personality types have certain looks to them and believe that a person reasonably well versed in MBTI can sufficiently guess a person's personality type just by looking. This gets better with practice. Therefore, I would like to know how many of you feel you can guess a person's personality type just by looking at the face in a real interaction, or from picture or statues. All this will help people understand one another better and allow for better communication while decreasing chances of misunderstanding.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Someone on TypoC was putting together a gallery of types, and the one thing it emphasized to me is that there is no correlation between appearance & type.

I do think you can observe a person from a distance & get a general idea of their type from their behavior & demeanor. That won't replace interacting with them, but sometimes the closer you get to a person, the harder they are to type anyway (as you start seeing all their sides & layers, it's harder to fit them in a category).

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. It's interesting that he found no correlation. Maybe some of the people in photos were mistyped? I tend to see a correlation in real life, and believe it becomes easier with practice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been thinking how certain personality types have certain looks to them and believe that a person reasonably well versed in MBTI can sufficiently guess a person's personality type just by looking. This gets better with practice. Therefore, I would like to know how many of you feel you can guess a person's personality type just by looking at the face in a real interaction, or from picture or statues. All this will help people understand one another better and allow for better communication while decreasing chances of misunderstanding.

The physical appearance a person has is driven by their genetic code, environmental and other external factors. I do not believe a person can just view an image/picture/see (whatever) another person and know what their personality type is. Now, if you watch them and note the way they dress, the way they move, the body language they use in conversations, watch how close they get to other people, note the volume of their speech, etc... then you might be able to do a pretty good guessing job... but you aren't just looking at a single image of that person, that is you, using deductive and inductive reasoning about the way they behave and how it may correlate to their personality type.

Anyone who says, oh, you can notice an ENTJ because they have a big wide mouth and squinty eyes is a fool in my book and will likely get me throwing a book at them :)

Otherwise, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it's hard to describe the difference, but with practice, I believe it becomes easier to see. People who haven't practiced identifying people's types by looking or believe such things can't see it of course. This may be controversial, but I don't think it's impossible, though it may take a few tries at first.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Based on a person's demeanor and body language and vocals, etc., I can get a general idea of what I think their type might be, but I usually don't trust my judgment. I wouldn't put anything into that...
But Jinxies is right, by just seeing an image of a person, and nothing else, I don't believe it's possible.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Of course it's hard to describe the difference, but with practice, I believe it becomes easier to see. People who haven't practiced identifying people's types by looking or believe such things can't see it of course. This may be controversial, but I don't think it's impossible, though it may take a few tries at first.
You say it's possible. I say it's nearly impossible to have a rational, logical and scientific method to base an MBTI type just on a single image of a person.

So let's get more information from you. The criteria is that you look at a person you do not hear their voice, observe them doing anything, see any facial expressions tied to conversation, you just see them at one glance.

What are you looking at? THeir hair color? length? Style? What about eye color? What about eyebrows? Do bushy eyebrows mean your extroverted while no eyebrows means you are a seriously in need of fashion assistance introvert? Do brown eyes mean a thinker while a blue-eyed person is a feeler? What if I have a zit? Does that make me an I instead of an E because I don't want people to notice it? What about lipstick?

One day I can look very business professional with muted colors and styled hair. Then two hours later I'm wearing flashy pink glitter, my hair is totally bed headed out and I'm wearing hot pink cleavage shirt to draw the eye when I go out.

I'll wear a business suit and under my work pants are green and white striped socks with multi-colored polka dots... no one can see it... but it reflects my quirkiness and creativity... do you have super special powers that allow you to see under my pant legs to gather that tidbit of my personality?

What type am I if I haven't polished my shoes yet and they are looking a little scuffed?

Please share with us the list of guidelines used for determining someone's type just from looking at them with no other source of personality information (ie no talking, no body language, etc)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't look at anything specific on a person, but in general you can get an idea about the person's personality type. There may be a couple of personalities that fit the look if you don't come into contact with the type often, but you can at least cross off several personality types that don't fit. It takes practice and some deal of experience to be able to match a person's look with type, but it is possible.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You don't look at anything specific on a person, but in general you can get an idea about the person's personality type. There may be a couple of personalities that fit the look if you don't come into contact with the type often, but you can at least cross off several personality types that don't fit. It takes practice and some deal of experience to be able to match a person's look with type, but it is possible.

So provide us with some examples. Fluff is nothing but a waste of space. Give me something concrete to work with... or...oh wait, are you doing it by ... sensing their personal auras? Therefore, there is absolutely nothing you are basing your suggestion upon other than a "feeling" you have? I have a feeling you are a "feeling" type of person and not a rational, logical one... how close am I? I didn't even have to see your picture!!!

I'm psychic... I'm calling up Ms. Warwick to join her friends hotline.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Of course I can tell personality type just by looking. For instance, if I see someone is black I know they're a dirty gangster and my girlfriend should keep her purse close so he doesn't try to snatch it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Of course I can tell personality type just by looking. For instance, if I see someone is black I know they're a dirty gangster and my girlfriend should keep her purse close so he doesn't try to snatch it.

Ooo you are a spicy meatball.... tasty :tongue:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's near impossible to describe looks, and a picture is indeed worth a thousand words here. For example, you can begin practicing by noting the personality types of your parents and close relatives or friends, then using that association you can try to look for personality types in others. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sparky, I've seen what you're talking about in Socionics.
V.I.

Visual identification

This method is based on the principle that people of the same Psychological Type have similar body structures, facial expressions, facial structures and eyes. Socionics experts use the visual method of personality identification as a main method (wherever possible) and all other methods for assistance. More on this method later.

Advantages of the method: instant identification; the quickest and most reliable of all known methods; no need for personal involvement; allows remote identification and identification by photographs;

Disadvantages of the method: practical application requires a great deal of experience and training; the identification process can be complicated by racial differences.

Methods of Psychological Type identification

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the information, Linus. I find Socionics to be more complex than MBTI, and believe MBTI may be just as good in finding personality types in people by observation from a photo or statue. Of course as you mentioned, this takes practice depending on the variety of people you meet or how much experience you have. There also seems to be a lack of research in this area. However, I don't see it being complicated by racial differences as it is by masculinity.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi All. This is my first post and it's actually this topic I'd like to see discussed more. I began with MBTI but then transitioned to Socionics. Both are based on similar foundations but those of Socionics are more stable thus allowing for far better and deeper analysis. (Sorry if I offend any die-hard MBTI users. My purpose is to keep this thread on Visual Identification and in order to do so you'll have to relate. Thanks.)

@Linus: Good catch on the link. Sergei does a fair job of promoting Socionics but Visual Identification is not considered the Main Method by all Socionics users. It's actually never been researched as thoroughly as I'd wish to see.

@Sparky: Thanks for posting this thread topic. In my observations I've noticed two individuals with the same type but different race have many features that are similar. I don't agree, however, with MBTI's efficacy in typing as well as Socionics. Also Soconics is not that hard. The Russians did a wonderful job in this field : )

@Jinxies: You made a fine point on the bit about making analysis on Auras. The limited research in the Socionics area does make a discrepancy that clears up this argument. Using Visual Identification requires the need to isolate Static vs Dynamic (facial & physical features). In practice I've compared the Static facial and body structures of ENTjs like yourself (against pictures of verified ENTjs) with the Dynamic features of many ENTj friends and acquaintances I've had experience with. Dynamic includes facial twitches, eye direction, body stance, etc. -- and these are done on a consistent basis.

please let me continue on the next post....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Someone on TypoC was putting together a gallery of types, and the one thing it emphasized to me is that there is no correlation between appearance & type.

I do think you can observe a person from a distance & get a general idea of their type from their behavior & demeanor. That won't replace interacting with them, but sometimes the closer you get to a person, the harder they are to type anyway (as you start seeing all their sides & layers, it's harder to fit them in a category).

I agree with the above.

I can recognise extraverts (E), introverts (I), and emotional types (S,F) that’s it. Still learning about other types.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Blah, that sucks. I just wrote a beautiful additional post with proper links to material I've used BUT I don't have 10 posts and can't post a link just yet. Another time then.

@Amyrose: the links I wish to provide in the future will have better analyzed and verified types. Also, I suggest studying the Mechanics of each function. E/I, S/N, F/T etc.

@OrangeAppled: You have to observe both Static AND Dynamic features of a person. After a while it becomes easier... -- I haven't yet looked at the typeologycentral.com(?) person's collection but I'm guessing it's kind of loosely guessed then yayed or nayed? As I wrote above I'd like to provide some links to more concrete material I've collected and used. I hope it will be more enlightening.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you jezroue for the respones. What is that link you were about to post? I think you are able now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you jezroue for the respones. What is that link you were about to post? I think you are able now.
Hi, yes. It's been a while. You can always rely on an INFJ to never forget : )

Note: Visual Identification (VI) is not promoted by the Socionics community in general. But I find that the platform is stable enough to actually see similarities of certain types.

1. Visual identification - Wikisocion (Please Read this first. It will clear up a lot of misconceptions and allow for a standard to begin with)

2. SOCIONICS: Functions, Types, Tests (Very practical and interesting. There's a note that the original researcher did not have any intention of promoting VI. Pictures were taken AFTER her diagnosis. I use these pictures frequently)

3. Socionic Types of Famous People (Rick has an interesting view on how he types people. I don't, however, agree with all of his types)

4. The site ₪₪₪ Socionics - The New Psychology ₪₪₪ has a lot of information for the beginner but I don't enjoy their VI list. Quantity over Quality.

These name conversions should help a lot:

Alpha Quadra:
ILE - Intuitive Logical Extratim - ENTp
SEI - Sensing Ethical Introtim - ISFp
ESE - Ethical Sensing Extratim - ESFj
LII - Logical Intuitive Introtim - INTj

Beta Quadra:
IEI - Intuitive Ethical Introtim - INFp
SLE - Sensing Logical Entrotim - ISTj
EIE - Ethical Intuitive Extratim - ENFj
LSI - Logical Sensing Introtim - ISTj

Gamma Quadra: