Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I don't know how much of you are into indie movies, but the 2010 movie 'Submarine' (from directer Richard Ayoade) was absolutely amazing. It's hilarious and sad, but very very fresh, and not pretentious at all. I'd encourage you to watch it because:
1. It will help me answer my question
2. It is a wonderful creation that I enjoyed watching very much.

So, what do you think is Oliver Tate's MBTI type?
And what about his love interest, Jordana Bevans?

I'd guess INTJ for Oliver, and perhaps... ENTP for Jordana? not sure about her.

But seriously guys... got free time? Watch 'Submarine'!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh yay, I love Submarine!

I've been tossing between INTJ and INTP for Oliver for a while now. I definitely understand why you think INTJ but part of me wants him to be INTP.
I also agree with ENTP for Jordana.
Might the mum be ISFJ? I'm not sure about the dad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might the mum be ISFJ? I'm not sure about the dad.
I considered Oliver an INTJ because ENTPs are their (2nd best, after the ENFPs) natural partners XD

Yeah the mum may be an ISFJ, not enough info given about her.
The dad might be an INTP? INFJ? (you'd know more about INFJs I assume) But I'm not sure either.
Heh Chips could be an ESTP, what do you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh, well Oliver as an INTJ makes sense then haha.
Hmm I don't think the dad's an INFJ - he's probably more of a Thinker. INTP fits, or maybe even INTJ?
I don't know too much about ESTPs but from what I know, it sounds like Chips.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I don't think the dad's an INFJ - he's probably more of a Thinker. INTP fits, or maybe even INTJ?
I don't know too much about ESTPs but from what I know, it sounds like Chips.
Yeah...Idk about the dad; he was in a stressful situation because of the affair and didn't know how to act, so that makes it difficult.

Hey, I think ESTP for Chips is accurate! I have an ESTP friend who is a nicer version (still loud and annoying though haha) of Chips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd hate to dig up an old thread but I've just finished watching the movie and don't understand why many people believe Oliver is an INTJ.

Oliver Tate's clearly an INTP.
He's intrusive and snoops around his parents which seems to suggest Ne-Si, leading me to believe he'd rather discuss and remember pointless things than focusing and enacting on the picture (Ni-Se). His painful lack of inter-personal skills suggests dominant Ti. He also considers feelings to be icky which suggests it'd be his inferior function. He's also chaotic in his demeanor and doesn't give off that Zen appearance most INTJs do.

Jordana is probably an ISTP.
Jordana is an object of Oliver's affections and a tool in his personal development. That aside, Jordana as a character is not the main focus of the movie so I might be a little biased when I say the following. Jordana is shameless for much of the movie and prefers to act on impulses with blatant disregard for implications. She also has a stoic exterior and actively proclaims her disinterest for sentimentality. This, to me, suggests Se-Ni.

Her introversion -- Oliver monologues that she's unpopular like him which makes their relationship all the more likely, suggesting a smaller range of friends -- suggests an introverted dominant function. This leads me to believe she's likely Ti-dominant as an Fi-dominant wouldn't be so cold to Oliver's attempts at intimacy. Plus, there's something familiar about an ISTP coolly watching the whole world burn around them.

Lloyd is a textbook INTP.

Jill is probably an ISFJ.
I am dead-set on her being some kind of ISXJ but she ultimately seems to lack analytical skills and prefers to stuff sweeping generalisations down people's throats -- Fe>Te.

Chips is your textbook ESTP delinquent.
He's such an ass that I find him funny.

Graham is most likely an ENFP.
He has a cult going on which suggests massive charisma and a talent for persuasion (Ne). He appears to be a feeler with lazy disregard for Lloyd and Jill's marriage. This leads me to believe that the man is a delusional narcissist. I classify all that as unhealthy, skewed Fi. Ultimately, I don't want to think too deeply about him. He is kind of a mystery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts