Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become obsessed with this... for the last week ever since I took a personality test I've been trying to determine whether I'm really an INFJ or if I'm actually an INFP as all the tests I took point to me being a INFJ but both personality types sound so much like me.
I did a ton of research on the differences and it seems the main functions are different but I honestly don't know how to determine what my main function is.
On 16personalities my results were these:
100% Introverted
39% Intuitive
57% Feeling
22% Judging
50% Turbulent
and it says I'm an INFJ...

Anyhow, are there certain questions I could answer to determine whether I'm truly an INFJ or really an INFP?
I've always felt like I was different as if I saw the world differently then other people even at a young age and still can't quit explain it. I always had this crazy imagination and enjoy living in worlds inside my own head. LIke I can honestly say I never cheated on a test because to me that is morally wrong.
I'm a writer and for years I've always had this intuition about things even as a small child. Like when I first read Harry Potter I knew that Snape would really be good and that Ron and Hermione would get together later on when I was only like 6 or 7.
I go to great lengths to avoid conflict and pretty much let everyone walk all over me because I have low self-esteem and I just don't want work to feel awkward around someone for the next few months just over 1 disagreement. However, when I do get in conflicts people accuse me of being passive-aggressive but I will admit at the time I have a tendency to make excuses for my wrong-doing, overreact to things, be stubborn, but after I calm down I will make a sincere apology but the damage has been done.
I am a hard worker but at home I do procrastinate a lot and when I write I have a tendency to start over and over on something. I also have this great fear of being published because although I acknowledge that most writers hardly make any money, part of me believes that I will become a bestselling author or something.
In general, I'm a quiet person who mainly keeps to myself. However, I've always wanted to make a difference in the world like fight for gay rights. When someone has angry look I become flustered and nervous which leads me to being clumsy or making a silly mistake.
My writing has always had a tendency to be a more dark and serious but with many symbolic lessons and morals that my sub-conscience creates. I write as if it were real and not to aim at 1 important lesson.
So, sorry for the ranting just really want to know if I'm an INFJ or INFP. I'll probably just tell people I'm an INFP anyhow so they don't accuse me of lying because I want to feel unique or stare at me like I'm some rare specimen.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I have struggled between mostly INFJ, INFP and INTP and I am still unsure - but have landed on INFP mostly. You are not the only INFx being insecure.

INFJs and INFPs, to me, seem alike in behaviour and what they think of - but they perceive and judge differently. Their functions are not similar. Read about them and be honest with what you truly are, not what you prefer. The percents on these tests will not tell you anything of what you are.

Judging by what you wrote, I get an INFP vibe from you. Who knows? In the end ... no one's true self is any of the MBTI types. Any of them. At all. Your true self is different.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have struggled between mostly INFJ, INFP and INTP and I am still unsure
I have this exact same struggle, myself, between those 3 types. These days I'm actually leaning more towards INFJ, though initially I felt INTP was the best match.

My struggle was connected to the fact that I relentlessly didn't finish my projects.

Upon further research and understanding, I ultimately reached this conclusion which may help you, OP:

When you truly look inside yourself, do you want, on any level, to see your efforts appear as real things in the real world? Would you consider that something of value or importance? Don't worry about the logistics and difficulties between now and that future. Focus on whether you would be satisfied internally if that were to happen. Is the fact that it's even a remote possibility part of what keeps you doing what you do?

If yes, I'd say you have enough of a weighting towards J that you could, indeed be INFJ.
If no, I'd quite confidently say that the process and idea is significantly more important to you than the result, which is more of a P characteristic.

Again, don't think about the procrastination and effort between you and the final product. Think about whether you truly care about the final product as a product, or if you care about it because of the creation process, idea development and self-discovery itself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP:

When you truly look inside yourself, do you want, on any level, to see your efforts appear as real things in the real world? Would you consider that something of value or importance? Don't worry about the logistics and difficulties between now and that future. Focus on whether you would be satisfied internally if that were to happen. Is the fact that it's even a remote possibility part of what keeps you doing what you do?

If yes, I'd say you have enough of a weighting towards J that you could, indeed be INFJ.
If no, I'd quite confidently say that the process and idea is significantly more important to you than the result, which is more of a P characteristic.
I'd definitely say it's more like I want my ideas whether it be beliefs on certain issues or writing to have an impact on the world... I want to be remembered for making an impact on the world, fighting for what I believe in, and not just a memory lost as time goes on.
In one of the series I'm writing about a war between these 2 magical worlds where 1 world is all happy and what not and the other one is all corrupted by an evil ruler, poverty, and several more issues... I always thought it just symbolized the war between happiness and unhappiness but now I wonder if if it symbolizes something more...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like INFP to me. I am INFP and my dad is INFJ, and the most obvious difference between us is the extroverted decision-making. We have most of the same interests otherwise and can often read each other's minds. My dad socializes better than I do. When I try to socialize, the results are appalling. I am harder-working though. For a long time I thought I was INFJ. It happens to be my favorite personality type. INFPs have a reputation of being mopey, but that's pretty accurate in my case, I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyhow, are there certain questions I could answer to determine whether I'm truly an INFJ or really an INFP?
I've always felt like I was different as if I saw the world differently then other people even at a young age and still can't quit explain it. I always had this crazy imagination and enjoy living in worlds inside my own head. LIke I can honestly say I never cheated on a test because to me that is morally wrong.
I'm a writer and for years I've always had this intuition about things even as a small child. Like when I first read Harry Potter I knew that Snape would really be good and that Ron and Hermione would get together later on when I was only like 6 or 7.
I go to great lengths to avoid conflict and pretty much let everyone walk all over me because I have low self-esteem and I just don't want work to feel awkward around someone for the next few months just over 1 disagreement. However, when I do get in conflicts people accuse me of being passive-aggressive but I will admit at the time I have a tendency to make excuses for my wrong-doing, overreact to things, be stubborn, but after I calm down I will make a sincere apology but the damage has been done.
I am a hard worker but at home I do procrastinate a lot and when I write I have a tendency to start over and over on something. I also have this great fear of being published because although I acknowledge that most writers hardly make any money, part of me believes that I will become a bestselling author or something.
In general, I'm a quiet person who mainly keeps to myself. However, I've always wanted to make a difference in the world like fight for gay rights. When someone has angry look I become flustered and nervous which leads me to being clumsy or making a silly mistake.
My writing has always had a tendency to be a more dark and serious but with many symbolic lessons and morals that my sub-conscience creates. I write as if it were real and not to aim at 1 important lesson.
So, sorry for the ranting just really want to know if I'm an INFJ or INFP. I'll probably just tell people I'm an INFP anyhow so they don't accuse me of lying because I want to feel unique or stare at me like I'm some rare specimen.
You sound a lot like me actually. :kitteh:
I thought I was an INFP also for awhile and resisted being a J.
But at the end of the day I am not spontaneous and prefer having a plan.

Anyway, about you...
INFPs are first and foremost introverted feelers, seeking harmony between their thoughts, actions and values.
INFJs are first and foremost introverted intuitives, seeking new perspectives on their own thoughts.

INFPs are secondly extroverted intuitives, seeing possibilities in the outside world.
INFJs are secondly extroverted feelers, seeing the commonalities between different people and themselves.

In other words, INFPs first focus on their own values, trying to match them up with their thoughts and feelings, and then look to the outside world to discover how they can be applied.
INFJs first focus on all the possibilities of their own rich inner world, and then look outward and apply it within the parameters of how they and others are feeling.

Which one describes you better? Also, are you more of a planner or are you more spontaneous?

Reactions: tyler94

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway, about you...
INFPs are first and foremost introverted feelers, seeking harmony between their thoughts, actions and values.
INFJs are first and foremost introverted intuitives, seeking new perspectives on their own thoughts.

INFPs are secondly extroverted intuitives, seeing possibilities in the outside world.
INFJs are secondly extroverted feelers, seeing the commonalities between different people and themselves.

In other words, INFPs first focus on their own values, trying to match them up with their thoughts and feelings, and then look to the outside world to discover how they can be applied.
INFJs first focus on all the possibilities of their own rich inner world, and then look outward and apply it within the parameters of how they and others are feeling.

Which one describes you better? Also, are you more of a planner or are you more spontaneous?
I honestly don't know... like when I get a bad feeling about someone I feel the need to warn mutual friends because I can't just allow someone to be set up for betrayal without telling them how I feel about them.
I hate feeling not in control, hate change, not a big risk taker, and I'm a stiffer for the rules and my morals. So yes for the most part I prefer a plan.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would say you seem more INFJ to me, but only you know yourself well enough to say... :tongue:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been thinking more and my intuition about things seem more to come about my surroundings... I rarely get a 'something bad is going to happen' out of the blue kinda of thing... I get intuitions from my senses and make connections thus extroverted and not introverted...
When I get upset about something I keep it to myself and let it tare me apart inside until it becomes unbearable then I may express my anger more then is needed.
What I'm saying is that I'm an INFP and not a INFJ.
My advice to others who are struggling on which of these 2 types they are is this:
Answer these 2 questions:
1. In general, when someone upsets or angers you how do you respond? Do you act passively, assertively, or aggressively? If you don't respond, does the incident replay in your mind over and over?
2. When you get feelings about people is it based off of things your senses or is it like supernatural? Does the person have a evil expression, do they have a posture that seems like they think they're above everyone else, do they seem to have a snotty tone? Do you sense someone is acting too nice? However, INFJs get weird intuitions not based off of their senses like they know when a loved one is in trouble.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I think I'm having a similar problem as the OP: :tongue:

I just completed this test:
INFJ or INFP Test - CelebrityTypes.com

and scored the result:
53% INFJ
47% INFP

That's too within a margin of error to be helpful! :tongue: Grrrr lol
It wouldn't surprise me if I were INFx or even INxx though. Damn you MBTI, why you make no sense!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Does anything here stand out to you:

J vs P

INFP
INFJ

What about from a stress inducing perspective?

Stressors for Judging TypesStressors for Pereceiving Types
Waiting for structure to emerge from process
Being expected to use "inner timing"
Too much flexibility around time frames and deadlines
Having to marshal energy at the last minute
Staying open to reevaluations of tasks
Dealing with surprises
Having to organize selves' and others' planning
Working within time frames and deadlines
Others' distrust of last-minute energy
Having to finish and move on
Developing contingency plans
Being required to plan ahead

·
Registered
205 Posts
My advice to others who are struggling on which of these 2 types they are is this:
Answer these 2 questions:
1. In general, when someone upsets or angers you how do you respond? Do you act passively, assertively, or aggressively? If you don't respond, does the incident replay in your mind over and over?
2. When you get feelings about people is it based off of things your senses or is it like supernatural? Does the person have a evil expression, do they have a posture that seems like they think they're above everyone else, do they seem to have a snotty tone? Do you sense someone is acting too nice? However, INFJs get weird intuitions not based off of their senses like they know when a loved one is in trouble.
I know I'm an INFJ and I must say yes to the first question. I usually keep my mouth shut as my Fe keeps me from wanting to offend anyone. But later the incident plays over in my mind and I think of all the possible ways I could have responded, and how I might respond to something similar in the future (Ni).
To the second question, I've never had (as far as I know) a supernatural knowing about someone. I usually just get an overall feel about someone in a quick glance (their posture, what they're wearing, etc.). Most people are pretty easy to read, but sometimes there's someone who just doesn't fit the mold, and that peaks my curiosity. But I don't think INFJs are anymore supernatural than any other type, this quote from Personality Junkie says it best I think.
What seems to be occurring is that many INJs have a highly sensitive inferior function, Extraverted Sensation (Se), which gathers copious amounts of sensory information from the outside world, including subtleties that other personality types tend to miss. Their Ni then subconsciously processes this data in order to make sense of it, like assembling pieces of a puzzle. Once finished, Ni generates an impression that seems to come out of “nowhere.”
Wow, I've probably just confused you more... Sorry :blushed:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I'm an INFJ and I must say yes to the first question. I usually keep my mouth shut as my Fe keeps me from wanting to offend anyone. But later the incident plays over in my mind and I think of all the possible ways I could have responded, and how I might respond to something similar in the future (Ni).
To the second question, I've never had (as far as I know) a supernatural knowing about someone. I usually just get an overall feel about someone in a quick glance (their posture, what they're wearing, etc.). Most people are pretty easy to read, but sometimes there's someone who just doesn't fit the mold, and that peaks my curiosity. But I don't think INFJs are anymore supernatural than any other type, this quote from Personality Junkie says it best I think.

Wow, I've probably just confused you more... Sorry :blushed:
I'll just identify as both for now... don't see why I can't? I mean both types fit me extremely well...
I do seem able to tell if a customer who is in line is going to be a jerk before they get to the counter and i get this vibe from the same ways you read people, their posture is usually like 'I'm above everyone else' and they usually have a unfriendly look...
See, now I think I might have Ni because whenever something happens I do look deeper into it, I always thought that was Ti and basically it's like I subconsciously find a detail I missed, secret message, or something.
I feel the issue is that I do perceive and judge based on the situation... I remember at school I always use to do my homework right when I got home and when my mom told me she wanted to go to the store I'd be like "I can't go mom because I have homework."
However, I do procrastinate on some things... I'm not entirely organized and have a habit of stopping something to do something else or to start over when it comes to writing.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,962 Posts
If you understand the cognitive functions, I'm sure INFP/INFJ would be difficult to mix up.

If your feelings get hurt very easily, you're likely an INFP. You judge things constantly based on your own moral standards and ethics.

INFJ's are more concerned with the emotions of others. If you can understand how others are feeling quite easily, and make many decisions based on helping others, then you're likely an INFJ.

The key difference is Fi vs Fe.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Check this link.
INFP's have Fi, Ne, Si, Te
and INFJ's have Ni - Fe - Ti - Se.

As you can see, the two types share no function in common. It should be quite easy to determine between the two. Look at each cognitive function in each of the places and see which one suits you best.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Are there tons of these "Am I INFP or INFJ threads", or is it just the same ones popping up over and over? I can't tell.

Everyone out there who's trying to decide between INFP and INFJ, get together and make your own discussion board haha.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
INFP's have Fi, Ne, Si, Te
and INFJ's have Ni - Fe - Ti - Se.

As you can see, the two types share no function in common. It should be quite easy to determine between the two. Look at each cognitive function in each of the places and see which one suits you best.
Yeah, INFJs and INFPs have almost nothing in common! Just like INTJs and INTPs have almost nothing in common. That's why "Am I INTJ or INTP" is the most common typing dilemma by a wide margin at INTJforum. And that's why, as @charlie.elliot just noted, there are "tons of these 'Am I INFP or INFJ threads.'"

@tyler94

Don't let the cognitive function kids bamboozle you. See this post.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
So wait, if they have nothing in common, why is it so hard to decide?? Seems like that should make it easier.

Seriously, can we make a sticky of "Am I INFJ/INFP"?? Then we can catalogue the differences and people can just look there, and then comment, "but for me..." etc etc. Of course I know people ignore stickies, and the threads would still pop up, but hey. What can you do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts