Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little more to work with. I'm in a room with my family. My grandmother and my step mom have both typed SF, I have a difficult time holding conversations with them. They are talking about people like aunt's and uncles and cousins and their experiences with them. They start talking about what has been going on in their city recently, how the hurricane affected the houses behind their subdivision, what was flooded, what their friends have been doing and who has gotten medical work done on them. It's almost like catching each other up on everything that has happened since they saw each other. There is no ethical or intellectual point to their conversation, the joy is in the conversation itself and hearing the other parties experiences. I remember they both tend to have very expressive faces in response to what the other party says. I don't tend to for these topics, they don't hold my attention. If another is enthusiastic I don't tend to mirror that or feel any internal impact and feel very uncomfortable when put into situations where I need to feign emotion in a way that looks real. Being expected to be involved expressively in a conversation that I struggle to find interest in drains me so quickly. I often have to fake this and am exhausted rapidly, especially when trapped in something like the game Rummy where it is very simple and requires no thinking.

I notice that a picture in the house is timeless. I look at the other pictures and they are also timeless, flower pots or bridges and water. I wonder what makes them timeless but don't actually entertain the thought. *time passes*, I'm sitting alone and I see how the colors of almost the entire house and the items in it are muted, almost washed out. The timeless pieces match them in that they are also washed out. Mabye that is why they seem so timeless in this house. Most of the time when I look at objects they do not incite thought. When watching movies my step mom is incredibly good at predicting the ending. I struggle with it. I think it's because I don't assume that what the characters are saying will be predictive of later in the movie. For example, in game of thrones when they show the tree with A+R in a heart, I would not assume there was meaning. I assume it was just added to show a vibe, much like when a movie shows a forest in the morning to set a mood. To show the silence and to give a break for a second to transition to another scene. A couple people come in and turn on the TV. I look to it TV. There is a weatherman on it on mounds of snow, the camera is panning out further and further, there is more and more snow. I say "wow" out loud to the others in the room as it shows a huge amount of snow in what looks like an area where the amount of snow is clearly overwhelming. I think about how I might describe this in this thread. What was happening? It kept expanding and expanding on something already known(some snow) to show the magnitude. It's like in Anime when they show a character's power, and then increase it, and increase it, and increase it again and again. I think about how that is typically the most exciting part, I'm typically amazed at the sheer power relative to what we typically see in real life. A scene from Doctor Strange comes to mind(
), specifically at roughly 4:20. The enemy hits the ground with a wave of rock, and the Ancient one(the one in yellow) lets it wash over her. She feels its power and is so powerful that she stops it with her own inner force and then forces it back with even greater magnitude. This always gives me goosebumps because I imagine what it would be like internally, to have such raw power and control that you can take an opponents sheer force and simply by will you can both stop it and send it back. I can almost feel the sensation in myself, recreating what that would feel like. Feeling what it would be like to let a certain amount of force wash over me, and then stop it with my mind and focus, my chest tightening as I have to force my own will against the oncoming force, and then my body jolting forward internally like I'm pushing it back. It's wierd because I typically can't do this when others tell me what they are going through in real life with experiences(like a dog dying when I have never experienced a dog dying). I have to see it, the expressions, her body movement, in order to imagine it internally. When I am writing I realize that there is always an example in something I have seen that I can bring to mind to illustrate my point. I am exceptional at this. As I wrote about this scene I was reminded of three other times where this happens(I typically only think of one because I have used it to make my point and then have moved on to a new point, but I'm putting so much detail into this that it has given me time to think of three others). The three others are Ulqiorra vs Ichigo in Bleach, Matoma vs Lord Boros in one punch man, and to a lesser amount Jiren vs Goku in DBZ(there was no feeling produced in this one.). I cannot imagine the produced feeling unless I have visually seen it.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
I don't know what functions that has to do with, but I just wanted to say I also often experience the same feeling where I want to discuss things on a deeper level, like what led to a celebrity's suicide and how the industry is poison and caused it, and the dangers of a collectivist mindset, etc. but those around me don't seem that interested. They'd rather discuss what happened and their reactions to it rather than the theme and takeaway on it. I really don't know what functions your examples consist of. I just find myself relating to it and I'm ISTJ. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people can relate too. Maybe it's how the newer generation has been raised to think more critically than our parents? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what functions that has to do with, but I just wanted to say I also often experience the same feeling where I want to discuss things on a deeper level, like what led to a celebrity's suicide and how the industry is poison and caused it, and the dangers of a collectivist mindset, etc. but those around me don't seem that interested. They'd rather discuss what happened and their reactions to it rather than the theme and takeaway on it. I really don't know what functions your examples consist of. I just find myself relating to it and I'm ISTJ. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people can relate too. Maybe it's how the newer generation has been raised to think more critically than our parents? I'm not sure.
EXACTLY. It's like...let's use this conversation wisely rather than just spouting shit just for the sake of talking. Or if you are going to spout shit for the sake of talking make it funny, not just description after description after description. Like people that paint a picture just don't interest me. "When you walk into the room there's a BEAUTIFUL white stair case, and the soldiers uniforms are right on the left when you enter, and the ceiling has a gorgeous design of etc." it's just detail on top of detail on top of detail but it doesn't change the POINT of what they are saying. I end up just zoning out, I literally can't follow it when people just take FOREVER to get to their point because it's lost in the detail. I need a gyst, or a logical premises, idk just SOMETHING other than the detail and the events and the people's reactions and those people's history and that person's husband. It's just nonstop lol. Obviously I could imagine it as they are describing it, but WHY would you. I won't remember it because it has no significance, it has no point to take home and then build upon for later.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Small talk? People say a lot of things just for the sake of saying something and avoiding awkward silences. I don't think it's particularly function related, but I have come across quite a few thinkers who have decided it's illogical and pointless.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small talk? People say a lot of things just for the sake of saying something and avoiding awkward silences. I don't think it's particularly function related, but I have come across quite a few thinkers who have decided it's illogical and pointless.
Why do thinkers tend to do this while feelers don't? Was there anything worthwhile in the rest of my post for determining functions btw?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was wondering (since I have been typed ISTJ before), how do you experience curiosity? How do you respond to guessing games? I find that I really dislike guessing. It feels like a waste of time, you can either know by analyzing after some time and therefore only need 1 answer, or you don't know and guessing feels like shooting in the dark. The economy of effort is not there enough for me to feel like guessing and I avoid them when I can. I also don't bother guessing the meaning of ambiguous art, it either has a fairly obvious meaning or it is too ambiguous to talk about any definite answer seriously. Does you curiosity compel you frequently or do you find that you only look things up when you feel you need them to continue your thinking process? Do you ever accumulate knowledge just for the enjoyment of learning or do you approach this with an economy of effort perspective too?

·
Banned
692 Posts
Why do thinkers tend to do this while feelers don't? Was there anything worthwhile in the rest of my post for determining functions btw?
Everybody hates talk that they deem "useless" or "meaningless".

The difference is that feeling types appreciate connecting with people. So some conversations that thinking types might consider irrelevant, feelers appreciate the value of them. These include things like sharing details from your day ("x, y, and z happened to me today, and it made me feel a, b, and c"). It's not mindless drivel to feelers, but a chance for you to share your own subjective experiences from the day. It's a chance to encourage bonding between the hearer and the listener.

It's also important to note what I said at the beginning: everybody hates talk that they deem "useless" or "meaningless". So though you may find the war strategies of 1800 Great Britain fascinating, the person next to you might be rolling their eyes at you launching into a 45 min speech, wondering why on earth you're going on about something so annoying. I mean, can't you talk about something that actually matters???

My point is that meaningless or pointless talk - and what people deem "small talk" - differs from person to person. So what you think is frivolous or real, meaningful conversation will be interpreted differently by someone else.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Was there anything worthwhile in the rest of my post for determining functions btw?
I take a largely Jungian approach to functions, just so you know where I'm coming from.

"For example, in game of thrones when they show the tree with A+R in a heart, I would not assume there was meaning." This might suggest you have no interest in reading between the lines. This general subject, of looking for the hidden meaning behind reality is what Ne does.

The whole talk of the ancient one and the power was very focused on the senses. And you were talking quite a bit about how the sensations were affecting you personally. So Si would make a lot of sense there. Se is feasible, but less likely.

You appear to be a thinker - you create a very clear analysis of your thought process. Whether you prefer Te or Ti is not clear from the OP. I'd lean very slightly towards Ti.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
Was wondering (since I have been typed ISTJ before), how do you experience curiosity? How do you respond to guessing games? I find that I really dislike guessing. It feels like a waste of time, you can either know by analyzing after some time and therefore only need 1 answer, or you don't know and guessing feels like shooting in the dark. The economy of effort is not there enough for me to feel like guessing and I avoid them when I can. I also don't bother guessing the meaning of ambiguous art, it either has a fairly obvious meaning or it is too ambiguous to talk about any definite answer seriously. Does you curiosity compel you frequently or do you find that you only look things up when you feel you need them to continue your thinking process? Do you ever accumulate knowledge just for the enjoyment of learning or do you approach this with an economy of effort perspective too?
I like curiosity. Without curiosity, we cannot grow as a species. However, as with everything, there is always two sides to the coin. Sometimes, it can lead down very dark paths (like the war science experiments on people).

I'm not really repelled by harmless curiosity. If a topic turns ambiguous, and I need to go research different things along the way, even if it's not part of the final conclusion, it's okay, I've learned something new. Although, I have to say I'm not going to be good at trivia and such, because I actually don't go out of my way to research various topics enough. Only when it's convenient and somewhat related to the original topic I suppose. I've never been much of an abstract art person myself. I much prefer classic styles of art - they're pretty to look at. Abstract art sometimes feels so pointless to me. When I went to the Guggenheim museum, there was literally a piece that was just a bunch of paint splatters and another that was some text printed on a canvas. I was like WTF - this is art??

As for people beating around the bush, I'd rather them just be direct. I feel it's a waste of time to hint at things and try to make yourself feel better when you can just be honest and straight up, and tell it like it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts