Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I re-edited this post and I clarified some answers.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

In this period of my life I feel fine. I had anxiety problems before and I managed to overcome them working trough the problems and myself. I am a female in my mid 30-is, English is my third language and I apologize in advance if I write something wrong even if I believe that I have good grasp of the language. (I love new words but I can use them in a wrong way)
I discovered MBTI a year ago and a couple of days ago I realized that i have to write a thread and ask for help in finding my type. When I take questionnaires I always score as one of the NF-s and I am confused because I can relate to all of NF types in some way. In Enneagram I am a 2 or a 6.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
View attachment 324074
Uh it was hard to choose. I have a wish to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong and feel the vibration of the city and the people there. You are on the sidewalk in this river of people that just takes you somewhere, the feeling can be pretty amazing. You don't know the language and the customs are all new to you, you are lost but not really. It is not a problem if you are alone, it is even better because then you can meet new people and experience unusual sensations. I am exited. I wonder where are they going? Are they late? I wish somebody would look my way so I can see their expressions. I've heard that people in Japan do not look each-other in the eyes on the street, how do I look at them and not put them in a unconformable position? This custom can be lonely. It reminds me of a part of a song "All alone all together" On a second look even if they are not looking at me I feel a general good mood coming from this picture.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
I would probably feel a mixture of excitement and fear. I would probably look at the driver if he or she is calm and knows how to fix the problem then ok. I would take this as just a new bump on the road that we can overcome. If the driver is freaking out I would try to calm the person and try to find a solution. In both cases I would prepare myself mentally for the fact that I will probably miss the concert this time. I will go to the concert for sure the next time the band tours nearby. It is, after all, my favorite band!

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
The last two hours I was in a state of complete bliss so at the moment I am fine with whatever you need and makes you happy. Even if the driver gets drunk we will manage somehow to get home: I can drive or somebody else can drive. I probably arranged everything so the next day I have no commitments. In the worst case scenario we can rent a room. (I have done this before) I would go to the party. I would ask myself: Are the band members gonna be there? I would love to meet them.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
It depends of the person. My inward reaction would be bombastic "The person doesn't know what she or he is talking about!" But outward I would hear them out, if i I can talk to them I would, but if they are rude I would not. I would keep my opinion for myself. I would think for days about the statements and try to understand them or understand the person who made the statements.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
At the moment I have trouble thinking or remembering this type of scenario. I would probably try to understand why I had this beliefs and what is actually happening. If the shock was aggressive one of the fist thoughts would be "How could I be so wrong?" my mind would go crazy in analyzing everything: what is going on inside and outside of myself. Later I would need a couple of days to process everything, depending on how much of the shock I have experienced.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
All people are important. I believe that people are not inherently good or bad. We all have good parts and bad parts and nobody is perfect. Everyone is special but nobody is more special than the other person. I believe that we need to try to understand each-other even if sometimes that is really hard. If you don't understand maybe in the future you will. Don't judge, to be narrow-minded is the worst thing you can do to yourself and others. Everyone deserves respect. If you see something that is bordering you ask yourself why before you throw the first stone. Maybe the problem is in you and not in the other person.
I am an atheist or agnostic. I am still unsure about that- at the moment I am reevaluating my position about religion, one thing that I know is that I don't understand the religious feeling that people feel. On the other hand I respect the person who does have it even if I don't.
I came to this way of thinking with time, I am curious and I try thing out because I have a need to understand the world (and beyond if needed). Some of my values can change and they have changed in the past. The change is slow.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?
I have no idea. People say that I am different than most people, but don't know why. A silly example: in a group of artist I am seen as the one who is less artsy (even if I work and exhibit as than they do) in a group of non artist I am the artsy girl. Sometimes that irritates me. When I make friends they become very close and sometimes very attached. When I was younger I tried to be like everyone else but I couldn't, now I accepted it and sometimes blend in. In reality I could never accept the rules and the values of the group. I just slide from one group to another and try to be on good therms with everyone.
People who don't know me say that they see me as a psychologist or a big optimist. But in reality I see myself as having trouble reading people. If someone is in trouble I try to be there and encourage the person.
I am direct, emotional and independent in my thought.

b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I would like to over-think things less, be less paralyzed by what will be, be less shy with my work, less self-conscious. I sometimes have a strong reaction, a strong mood swing, it comes and goes like a lightning and I pop like a popcorn. It can be good or bad but I see that it startles people.
I am harder on myself than on others. I question everything and it can be exhausting
I usually work alone because I don't work well with others. When I work with others they usually put me in a position in charge, or I just take the lead because none else is doing it. I hate it because there is always someone with hurt feelings and it devastates me. I try to accommodate but I fail.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I used to ignore them because I didn't trust myself. I don't do that anymore. I don't know how they are triggered or when, a couple of friends asked me how do I know? I see it as using my ability to think and not something extraordinary. On the other hand my best friend talks about her hunches all the time and she is often right. Compered to her I am clueless.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Energizing activities are reading a good book, seeing a good exhibition, traveling, having a good and inspiring conversation, when I am doing something or have done something and I know it is good and people are satisfied. I organize exhibitions as well so it makes me happy when the artist and the audience are satisfied and we managed to to communicate the message.
If I overdo something it starts to drain me. I spend a lot of time alone during the week so I need people to regain my balance, but if I am too much with people they start to drain me. The activities that drain me most are working without a cause or a belief system besides gaining money, group competitive sports (I have no idea what I am doing and I have to score), gossip(the bad taste after it is terrible), and when everything has to be in a proper place, in a definite or proper manner (without explanation)- it is limiting and it has no sense.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
Most of the time I am not open. Some people would not understand and I don't wanna explain myself or get into an argument. Sometimes I am so tired that I don't care so I just let myself go.

Thank you for all your input :)

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
@whitestripedcat ENFJ. #8 shows the development of Ni. And I got an Fe vibe, rather than an Fi vibe. #10 shows Fe dominant and Ti inferiority as you don't want to have to get in an argument. EFJs can be very frustrating to debate with. In your defense, us ETPs can be assholes.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I actually think I agree with @sah6635. I think ENFJ makes a lot of sense for you. I can see Se, but not too much, and you definitely seem to have some pretty strong Ni.
@hoopla Thoughts? (I'm not used to typing someone based just on their questionnaire, but perhaps this is more acute given that we could share a type and you are probably well developed.) @Greyhart can you see ENFJ here?

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Hella lot of Fe. Fe dom for sure. 5 I'd go Ni over Si. ... ... ... So I finished it. Hardcore ENFJ. Over 30 to the boot. Matured types of forums. Great.

I'd go with type 2 as main.

Reactions: whitestripedcat

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Hella lot of Fe. Fe dom for sure. 5 I'd go Ni over Si. ... ... ... So I finished it. Hardcore ENFJ. Over 30 to the boot. Matured types of forums. Great.

I'd go with type 2 as main.
I'd agree with that assessment as it confirms my assessment hahaha. @whitestripedcat I think we know your type.

Reactions: whitestripedcat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you
I can relate to ENFJ when they are talking about themselves. For some reasons when I take an online test I get ENFP but when I watch the videos I can't relate completely. The only test that says ENFJ or INFJ is the 2 cognition test.
@sah6635 I have met a couple of ESTPs, and you are right, they can be very confrontational and they are very easy to spot. when I meet them they are so much over the top loud, in my face, daring me that I just give up in my attempt to communicate. I don't know about ENTPs because I don't think that I've met them, or recognized them.
On the other hand I know a couple of INTPs and they can be frustrating in their bluntness but their mind is amazing and the trolling can be amusing. My brother is an introverted NT, I suspect an INTP.
For some reason I can recognize the type of my friends to some degree. I gave to two friends the type description and they said it is accurate. But typing myself is an impossible mission.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
thank you
I can relate to ENFJ when they are talking about themselves. For some reasons when I take an online test I get ENFP but when I watch the videos I can't relate completely. The only test that says ENFJ or INFJ is the 2 cognition test.
@sah6635 I have met a couple of ESTPs, and you are right, they can be very confrontational and they are very easy to spot. when I meet them they are so much over the top loud, in my face, daring me that I just give up in my attempt to communicate. I don't know about ENTPs because I don't think that I've met them, or recognized them.
On the other hand I know a couple of INTPs and they can be frustrating in their bluntness but their mind is amazing and the trolling can be amusing. My brother is an introverted NT, I suspect an INTP.
For some reason I can recognize the type of my friends to some degree. I gave to two friends the type description and they said it is accurate. But typing myself is an impossible mission.

Take INTP and make it louder and more obnoxious - tada you got ENTP. :laughing: I am not sure what sort of tests you are taking but perhaps if it's the J <---> P scale sort it's picking on your chill nature? @alittlebear has a monster of a thread that turned into general chat at this point but there's quite some Ne vs Ni insights in there. What I've read yesterday starting from here to... a few pages forward, depending on how long you last. I honestly think Fe is hands-down your dominant function. ENxPs have Ne as dominant, ENFJs Ni as auxiliary (second) function. It manifests a bit differently than in INFJs but it's still relatable.

I love your quickness! Typology is not only for the very young folks :D Thank you!
It's interesting to see people that matured into their "last 2" functions. :wink:

[edit] actually goes from here to a bunch of pages forward too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually think I agree with @sah6635. I think ENFJ makes a lot of sense for you. I can see Se, but not too much, and you definitely seem to have some pretty strong Ni.
@hoopla Thoughts? (I'm not used to typing someone based just on their questionnaire, but perhaps this is more acute given that we could share a type and you are probably well developed.) @Greyhart can you see ENFJ here?
thank you
If you need more information just ask

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take INTP and make it louder and more obnoxious - tada you got ENTP. :laughing: I am not sure what sort of tests you are taking but perhaps if it's the J <---> P scale sort it's picking on your chill nature? @alittlebear has a monster of a thread that turned into general chat at this point but there's quite some Ne vs Ni insights in there. What I've read yesterday starting from here to... a few pages forward, depending on how long you last. I honestly think Fe is hands-down your dominant function. ENxPs have Ne as dominant, ENFJs Ni as auxiliary (second) function. It manifests a bit differently than in INFJs but it's still relatable.

It's interesting to see people that matured into their "last 2" functions. :wink:
I imagine ENTPs as people with a quick mind and no filter whatsoever :) But not in my face like ESPs can be.
There is always something missing in the tests and the descriptions can be interpreted in many ways. That is why I went exploring on youtube.
Thank you for the thread, I haven't seen it before

·
Registered
159 Posts
@whitestripedcat here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

When I was younger I tried to be like everyone else but I couldn't, now I accepted it and sometimes blend in.
Why couldn't you be like everyone else when you were younger? Now you sometimes blend in, what is your idea of blending in?

In reality I could never accept the rules and the values of the group. I just slide from one group to another and try to be on good therms with everyone.
Why can you not accept the rules and values of the group? What do you mean by sliding from one group to another and trying to be on good terms with everyone?

If someone is in trouble I try to be there and encourage the person.
Why is it necessary to encourage the person who is in trouble?

I am direct, emotional and independent in my thought.
Tell us more about being direct. Tell us more about being emotional. Tell us more about being independent.

I would like to over-think things less, be less paralyzed by what will be, be less shy with my work, less self-conscious.
Why do you suppose you are self-concious?

I question everything and it can be exhausting
Why is it important to question everything?

Energizing activities are reading a good book, seeing a good exhibition, traveling, having a good and inspiring conversation, when I am doing something or have done something and I know it is good and people are satisfied.
If you were feeling drained would you find it energizing to introspect on your values and feelings? How would it compare to the energizing activities that you have mentioned here?

I spend a lot of time alone during the week so I need people to regain my balance, but if I am too much with people they start to drain me.
When you go looking for people are you feeling energized or drained?

Do you enjoy learning new things for the sake of learning new things, or do you mainly learn things to accomplish a task?

Do you prefer to make decisions early on, or do you prefer to put them off for as long as possible?

You have been given the "Most valuable person on earth" award. What did you do to deserve the honour?

You say that you find inspiring conversations energizing. Tell us more about such conversations.

What do you spend most of your time thinking about?

If you were in a position of authority over others what would be your goal in exercising that authority?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@whitestripedcat here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

Interesting questions @robert666. It took me some time to think about the answers so some are a little bit clumsy. I tried to write them as clear as I could.

Why couldn't you be like everyone else when you were younger? Now you sometimes blend in, what is your idea of blending in?

It is not something I can put my finger on, in total honesty I don't really get why. The general consensus was that I was somehow different, the more I tried to act like people who surrounded me the more I was visible. Maybe one of the causes was that I often asked way we have to do things a certain way, why do we have to accept a certain idea and so on... this can make waves in the dynamic of the group and rub some people in a wrong way. (at that moment i would walk away or start poking the person in an attempt to adjust myself to suit that person) One thing that I have always been told that I am too polite for some people.
Now things are different because I surrounded myself with people who themselves are more open and it is me who understands more. And I learned how to detach myself. I was always interested where are you coming from and what is your goal
Blend in- be one of the gang

Why can you not accept the rules and values of the group? What do you mean by sliding from one group to another and trying to be on good terms with everyone?
I really know a lot of people and I love to meet new and different people. I socialize with people who are different one from another. They all have their special world view(and I love it) so unfortunately I cannot bring them together. Secondly in a group can start the mentality "us vs them" which I don't like.

Why is it necessary to encourage the person who is in trouble?
Oh I sometimes ask myself that same question. It comes naturally. It is not even that I would like to be treated that way, I would but that is not the point. I just do it. I have to stop myself when encouragement is not wanted.

Tell us more about being direct. Tell us more about being emotional. Tell us more about being independent.
Here I explained myself awkwardly. I go after my goals. Emotional- I have mood swings they don't affect me as people around me. Independent in thought- I have my values and my beliefs they are firm. Unfortunately this values differ from the values commonly accepted. If there is a situation where there is a severe clash of opinions often I won't vocalize them. Often people can think that I agree with them even if I don't because my disagreeing can cause arguments or hurt feelings. If there comes to an argument, and it escalates, I stand my ground- fiercely. Lately I have said often "I don't agree" and it is new to me.

Why do you suppose you are self-concious?
I think too much about what other people are thinking about and how my actions affect others.- I really don't like this

Why is it important to question everything?
If we accept things as they are given we would never accomplish something, move on. Or know anything or anyone.

If you were feeling drained would you find it energizing to introspect on your values and feelings? How would it compare to the energizing activities that you have mentioned here? No, I would need a vent trough a book, movie or exhibition so I can shift my thoughts on something else, otherwise I would over-analyze things, if there is a problem I would get to the wrong conclusions. I need a shift of thought to regain my balance.

When you go looking for people are you feeling energized or drained?
It depends, sometimes I go looking for a friend because I am drained, or the thought of going to meet people energizes me. Other times just the thought that I have to go and meet people drains me.

Do you enjoy learning new things for the sake of learning new things, or do you mainly learn things to accomplish a task?
Mostly for the sake of learning things. I love to know new things because the world is so big.
Do you prefer to make decisions early on, or do you prefer to put them off for as long as possible?
This is a terrible question. I know that I love the feeling after I've made the decision because then thing start to develop. But sometimes it takes so much time to decide because I over-analyze.
You have been given the "Most valuable person on earth" award. What did you do to deserve the honour?
hahaha I listened the problems of the elderly, carried their groceries, drove them around and played with kids
You say that you find inspiring conversations energizing. Tell us more about such conversations.
Different kind of conversations: when we talk abut our goals, how will we proceed, when I am introduced to new ideas... things like that

What do you spend most of your time thinking about?
psychology, art, society, politics, my family and friends, me (not necessarily in that order)

If you were in a position of authority over others what would be your goal in exercising that authority?
I would try to meet the needs of my colleagues, even the minority, so we can work together towards our goal. It is important to have in mind that we need to reach our goal - this is the reason we work together.
Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
hahaha I listened the problems of the elderly, carried their groceries, drove them around and played with kids
It was the kids that suggested this award for you...

Your answers to my questions were very helpful. I have one more question.

Are energizing conversations mainly energizing because they give you new ideas? Is this also true for some of the other activities such as reading a book, seeing a good exhibition, travelling etc?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the kids that suggested this award for you...

Your answers to my questions were very helpful. I have one more question.

Are energizing conversations mainly energizing because they give you new ideas? Is this also true for some of the other activities such as reading a book, seeing a good exhibition, travelling etc?
Sometimes, but mostly it is just good rejuvenating energy that pushes me forward. An example: when I am working on something new ideas come form doing, a book, a conversation can just give a clue or a direction but not an entirety new idea. I don't work in spurs, but by slowly building layers. After comes something that seems, at first glance, that is done fast but, in fact, it has a whole story behind it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@whitestripedcat here's my assessment of your type.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Attachment 324074
Uh it was hard to choose. I have a wish to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong and feel the vibration of the city and the people there. You are on the sidewalk in this river of people that just takes you somewhere, the feeling can be pretty amazing. You don't know the language and the customs are all new to you, you are lost but not really. It is not a problem if you are alone, it is even better because then you can meet new people and experience unusual sensations. I am exited. I wonder where are they going? Are they late? I wish somebody would look my way so I can see their expressions. I've heard that people in Japan do not look each-other in the eyes on the street, how do I look at them and not put them in a unconformable position? This custom can be lonely. It reminds me of a part of a song "All alone all together" On a second look even if they are not looking at me I feel a general good mood coming from this picture.
Seems NF.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
I would probably feel a mixture of excitement and fear. I would probably look at the driver if he or she is calm and knows how to fix the problem then ok. I would take this as just a new bump on the road that we can overcome. If the driver is freaking out I would try to calm the person and try to find a solution. In both cases I would prepare myself mentally for the fact that I will probably miss the concert this time. I will go to the concert for sure the next time the band tours nearby. It is, after all, my favorite band!
Seems Fe.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
All people are important. I believe that people are not inherently good or bad. We all have good parts and bad parts and nobody is perfect. Everyone is special but nobody is more special than the other person. I believe that we need to try to understand each-other even if sometimes that is really hard. If you don't understand maybe in the future you will. Don't judge, to be narrow-minded is the worst thing you can do to yourself and others. Everyone deserves respect. If you see something that is bordering you ask yourself why before you throw the first stone. Maybe the problem is in you and not in the other person.
I am an atheist or agnostic. I am still unsure about that- at the moment I am reevaluating my position about religion, one thing that I know is that I don't understand the religious feeling that people feel. On the other hand I respect the person who does have it even if I don't.
I came to this way of thinking with time, I am curious and I try thing out because I have a need to understand the world (and beyond if needed). Some of my values can change and they have changed in the past. The change is slow.
Seems FP.

b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I would like to over-think things less, be less paralyzed by what will be, be less shy with my work, less self-conscious. I sometimes have a strong reaction, a strong mood swing, it comes and goes like a lightning and I pop like a popcorn. It can be good or bad but I see that it startles people.
I am harder on myself than on others. I question everything and it can be exhausting
I usually work alone because I don't work well with others. When I work with others they usually put me in a position in charge, or I just take the lead because none else is doing it. I hate it because there is always someone with hurt feelings and it devastates me. I try to accommodate but I fail.
Seems F.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Energizing activities are reading a good book, seeing a good exhibition, traveling, having a good and inspiring conversation, when I am doing something or have done something and I know it is good and people are satisfied. I organize exhibitions as well so it makes me happy when the artist and the audience are satisfied and we managed to to communicate the message.
If I overdo something it starts to drain me. I spend a lot of time alone during the week so I need people to regain my balance, but if I am too much with people they start to drain me. The activities that drain me most are working without a cause or a belief system besides gaining money, group competitive sports (I have no idea what I am doing and I have to score), gossip(the bad taste after it is terrible), and when everything has to be in a proper place, in a definite or proper manner (without explanation)- it is limiting and it has no sense.
Seems NF.

Here I explained myself awkwardly. I go after my goals. Emotional- I have mood swings they don't affect me as people around me. Independent in thought- I have my values and my beliefs they are firm. Unfortunately this values differ from the values commonly accepted. If there is a situation where there is a severe clash of opinions often I won't vocalize them. Often people can think that I agree with them even if I don't because my disagreeing can cause arguments or hurt feelings. If there comes to an argument, and it escalates, I stand my ground- fiercely. Lately I have said often "I don't agree" and it is new to me.
Very FP.

Mostly for the sake of learning things. I love to know new things because the world is so big.
Seems NP.

Sometimes, but mostly it is just good rejuvenating energy that pushes me forward. An example: when I am working on something new ideas come form doing, a book, a conversation can just give a clue or a direction but not an entirety new idea. I don't work in spurs, but by slowly building layers. After comes something that seems, at first glance, that is done fast but, in fact, it has a whole story behind it.
Seems NP.

I am typing you as ENFP.

You prefer Fi rather than Fe. This is clear from your defence of your values and beliefs, they are firm and you do not bend them to accomodate others. You are also an Ne user. You like learning new things for it's own sake and are energized by activities that will generate new ideas. I believe that your dominant function is Ne since all the activities that you engage in to rejuvenate yourself bring you ideas or "clues" to ideas.

You have mentioned that you do not relate completely to the videos of ENFPs. Keep in mind that there will still be variations from one individual to the next. For example you seem to be quite sensitive or self concious so you may not be all that comfortable around other people and this could be different for another ENFP who isn't as sensitive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts