Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It usually takes me 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep. I just kinda lie there and all these ideas bounce around like a pinball.

So how long does it take for you to go to sleep and does anyone techniques to quieten the mind?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
These days I have a pretty easy time falling asleep. I go to bed at about 4 or 5 AM and wake up at about 11:30 PM- 1:00 PM. It's usually when I have myself go to sleep at a certain time, because I have to wake up early for whatever reason, that I have problems with my Ne being overly active...

Sometimes I've chosen to read before going to bed, and I've not been able to fall asleep only because I was thinking about what I had read.

I've sometimes had ideas come to me in bed and have felt the need to get up to write them down so I wouldn't forget. Then I've had to get back in bed and try to fall asleep again.

To be honest, I've seen that I have a tendency to be more mentally active at midnight. Recently I haven't felt that way as much, though...Only because I've felt extremely lethargic lately.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If I'm tired at the end of the day, I fall asleep very quickly (meaning within 1 minute). If I'm not, then I roam about the house thinking about something or the other (I'm very restless and cannot lie or sit in one place for long). In case if I'm bored, I look for some mental stimulus on the internet to pass time until I feel sleepy.:happy:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I have to be really tired to instantly fall asleep. Usually it takes me between 10-20 minutes.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
It takes me hours to fall asleep. :frustrating:
same some nights.

Things that make me instantly fall asleep are football(and most other sports) and reading something on the computer after many hours of sleep deprivation.

·
mafia mod
13,315 Posts
I wish i could instantly fall asleep. It takes me an hour or two for my mind to settle down.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have issues trying to fall asleep. If I'm really tired, its not that bad. But typically in order for me to be very tired, I have to have not only gotten up early, but also spent the day moving around. So getting up at 5 or 6am and then hiking 10 miles or more, I'll fall asleep quickly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I could go to bed at 2am or later every day I'd probably sleep fine.

Most nights I cant stay up that late so...

I'll put my earphones in and listen to music quietly, as long as its not "amp you up" music it often distracts my mind from thinking.

Another thing is I take melatonin. Only half a pill (my body seems to get used to it after a while and I have to lay off) and usually about 15-30 min before bed. If I take it right before bed my mind will have too much time to "get started" thinking and I may not fall asleep.

I also have to try variations of the above techniques when they stop working.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's how I work...

If I have something to do that I care about such as programming something fancy, playing a game, conducting a laboratory experiment, doing theoretical calculations on a board, reading a good book, and watching a good movie, I never fall asleep as in get a chance to lie on the bed. I do get tired but I always delay my sleep time. I tell myself I'll sleep within the next half hour but I usually never the chance to drag myself to bed. Eventually my sleepiness takes over and when I lie on my bed, I instantly fall asleep.

If I have nothing (or care about) to do such as school work, chores, paperwork, or basically work. I postpone it and prioritize sleep over it. I do still sleep instantly.

I think the only time I never fall asleep is when something is bothering me but I don't know what it is. I even fall asleep when I'm stressed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In high school it would normally take me 1-2 hours to fall asleep while listening to music as ideas bounced around my mind. If I did not listen to music it would take 2-4 hours because the noises around the house would just make me fidgety and I would be stuck listening to my stepfather talk about his day to my mom and his phone conversations as he walked around the house. He does not possess a voice that is conducive to sleep.

Once I entered college it would take 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep my freshman year and 20-40 minutes my sophomore year. Now that I'm in my junior year it takes me about 10 minutes to fall asleep because now I only climb into bed once I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No.

Usually I'm thinking about a billion things for about 10-40 min depending on how tired I am before I get anywhere near a state of sleep. For another 30 min I am still aware of sounds, waking me up again if a door creaks, if the breeze blows, etc. If I'm really exhausted, then I can go to sleep in about 10 min.

My mom, on the other hand. Says, "just turn off your brain". Yeah, right. But she can do it, I don't know how. She can really fall asleep in about 10 sec or less. I just don't get it. She's also a light sleeper, like if she distinctly hears a voice or a light turns on around her, but that's probably conditioning after having 4 kids. Either way, I can never comprehend how that happens.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I take 2 benadryl each night two hours before bedtime on work nights. Only way I can be out before midnight. I tend to need to fantasize about something before bed as well, and then the fantasy just turns into a dream. I can literally pinpoint the moment that I've fallen asleep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a game on my ipod that helps me fall asleep. The object is to make the predetermined amount of words out of 6 given letters.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts